Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Will Doom Eternal Be Unfinished?

Just wondering, will it be buggy and incomplete? I hope it won't.

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin

Um, no.

I don't remember that happening with Doom 2016 so there's no reason to believe it's going to happen with Eternal. It wasn't overloaded with DLCs either, which were mostly for the MP anyway.

I think he fears Bethesda's reputation of super buggy releases and never fixing the issues (even in the PAID overhaul of skyrim, there are bugs dating back to 2011), but at this point I don't think we have any reason to believe that culture has penetrated to id... doom 2016 was rock solid, although SnapMap had some minor issues but who cares.

3 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

I think he fears Bethesda's reputation of super buggy releases and never fixing the issues (even in the PAID overhaul of skyrim, there are bugs dating back to 2011), but at this point I don't think we have any reason to believe that culture has penetrated to id... doom 2016 was rock solid, although SnapMap had some minor issues but who cares.

Exactly. What's wrong with SnapMap by the way?

3 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Exactly. What's wrong with SnapMap?

There were major memory issues for a month or two, and some crashes iirc, all fixed though.

Just now, Catpho said:

@The-Heretic-Assassin I will happily consider to trust if you can provide a much more detailed explanation than just asking for my faith. 2c

Well as Vorpal said, Bethesda is known for buggy unfinished games that don't ever get completely fixed (Oblivion for example), along with DLC that should be free but aren't because the company is just ridiculous (Horse armor).

3 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Well as Vorpal said, Bethesda is known for buggy unfinished games that don't ever get completely fixed (Oblivion for example), along with DLC that should be free but aren't because the company is just ridiculous (Horse armor).

But then i didn't hear that Doom 2016 had that problem? Though i didn't really pay attention on it's release.

Elder Scrolls are in-house developed by Bethesda, while Doom was developed by id - there is quite a gargantuan difference between the two. 

Not to mention the size of the Elder Scrolls games - they're huge, open world adventures, while Doom is a linear shooter on a much smaller scale. Due to the specifics of the game there are much fewer things to program - and those that are are crucial to gameplay at all times -  and therefore there's much less room for bugs.

10 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Uh, isn’t that Bethesda Game Studios?

Bethesda Softworks is the publisher. 

Even if there were bugs somehow missed, I'm sure they will be patched up soon after they're discovered.

Yeah, the OP's concerns are as weird as they're most likely unwarranted.

5 minutes ago, Xfing said:

Yeah, the OP's concerns are as weird as they're most likely unwarranted.

The problem is, what if Bethesda Softworks rushes id Software?

1 minute ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

The problem is, what if Bethesda Softworks rushes id Software?

Like they did Obsidian with Fallout New Vegas?

I don't think they rushed id with Doom (2016) and I don't see why they would change that policy now given that 2016 was quite a success.

Also, I figure Eternal is going to be run on id Tech 6, which has already been developed, so a large amount of the work has already been completed, so Doom Eternal is likely to come along much faster than 2016 did.

And, @Dragonfly, this guy does this all the time, with all the pessimistic and sad-sack shit. It's par for the course at this point.

He does, but he's not alone in this reasonless way of thinking. I'm genuinely tired of reading / putting up with so many examples of modern day degeneracy online. Just look at the bullshit surrounding the new movie!

Heard that. Honestly, I'm a little pessimistic about the whole thing myself, but I'm not going to decide anything until we see the gameplay at QuakeCon, because I didn't really like Doom (2016) that much, but maybe I'll like this one better.

The point stands that making a thread like this is ridiculous because dwelling on something that's unlikely to be true is equally ridiculous. We won't know any more about it until QuakeCon, it looks like, but there's no stopping this thinking, it seems.

Aside from RAGE, I don't think Id has ever released a game that is technically lacking.

5 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

He does, but he's not alone in this reasonless way of thinking. I'm genuinely tired of reading / putting up with so many examples of modern day degeneracy online.

While I argued against his fear, I think it's an entirely legitimate one to have (I share it with regards to works developed by Bethesda). Calling it reasonless and degeneracy is tilting the hyperbole scale all the way to the other side

5 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

He does, but he's not alone in this reasonless way of thinking. I'm genuinely tired of reading / putting up with so many examples of modern day degeneracy online. Just look at the bullshit surrounding the new movie!

Well then stop reading and getting involved in this stuff. No seriously, that's a fight you'll never win, I learned that a long time ago the hard way.

Either way, some people have already explained why expecting Eternal to be an unfinished, buggy mess is unfounded, such as:

26 minutes ago, Xfing said:

Elder Scrolls are in-house developed by Bethesda, while Doom was developed by id - there is quite a gargantuan difference between the two. 

Not to mention the size of the Elder Scrolls games - they're huge, open world adventures, while Doom is a linear shooter on a much smaller scale. Due to the specifics of the game there are much fewer things to program - and those that are are crucial to gameplay at all times -  and therefore there's much less room for bugs.

44 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

I think the game is quite far along already if the QuakeCon reveal is going to be public (QC 2014 had a private showing of Doom 2016 as it wasn't ready to be shown publicly at the time), no rushing needed.

5 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I'm not making a hate thread, i'm just worried about what'll happen. Bethesda better not rush id.

@Dragonfly @Aquila Chrysaetos Relax and think before posting.

They won't. You seem to be forgetting they even allowed id to completely reboot Doom 2016, so I think it's safe to assume they won't screw up Eternal either.

Also this:

2 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

I think the game is quite far along already if the QuakeCon reveal is going to be public (QC 2014 had a private showing of Doom 2016 as it wasn't ready to be shown publicly at the time), no rushing needed.

4 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I'm not making a hate thread, i'm just worried about what'll happen. Bethesda better not rush id.

@Dragonfly @Aquila Chrysaetos Relax and think before posting.

"Think before posting?" That's irony at it's finest. 

@Vorpal I think I'm now warranted to use the term degenerate here. 

it's not gonna be unfinished because it's basically just a $60 dlc for doom 4

3 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

"Think before posting?" That's irony at it's finest. 

@Vorpal I think I'm now warranted to use the term degenerate here. 

Leave Vorpal alone please. The thing is that i'm sick and tired of games today being released unfinished with content cut out of them to be sold as DLC later on. Do you really like that, Dragonfly?

I want to point out that before I posted, there were a lot of counterarguments to the "Bethesda rushing id" idea, one put forth by Vorpal, and another just now put forth by Eris. I wanted to make one, myself, but apparently, I screwed up.

What a shock there.

Regardless, I think that Bethesda will allow id to finish Eternal just like 2016, and since the groundwork has been laid down already, most likely, it will probably come along really quickly. Programming a whole engine to run a game on takes time and money, but using one you've already built is incredibly quick and cheap, so it would be difficult for Bethesda to rush id.

And games being released unfinished with cut content relased as DLC's doesn't really sound like Bethesda. Buggy as hell? Sure. Glitches everywhere you look? Makes sense. Unfinished? Not usually. Fallout New Vegas seems to be an exception to that rule. And the cut content being released later as a DLC is more EA's game (pun intended), so I really don't think that's something to worry yourself with.

5 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

The thing is that i'm sick and tired of games today being released unfinished with content cut out of them to be sold as DLC later on. Do you really like that, Dragonfly?

No, I don't like that. But I did like Doom 2016. It came as a completefinished game. A very good, complete, finished game. A game which was not rushed. Instead it was quite the opposite - Doom 4 had a lot of progress and was scrapped because they decided it was going in the wrong direction. That's the complete opposite of rushed.

I'll tell you what I don't like though. You. I also don't like people who are similar to you - Those who form opinions with little more than a second's thought and then blabbermouth their nonsensical made up emotions on social media, on forums, in videos and more.

1 hour ago, Vorpal said:

I think Bethesda and other big companies like day one patches to combat piracy. Somehow games that take years to make end up being super glitched right off the bat and no one noticed? Bugs further in the game are of course typical Bethesda faire. Like who would know a horse would spawn so high off the ground and fall to its death?