Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Will Doom Eternal Be Unfinished?

How did this trailer imply anything except 'there are new monsters and a new setting'. People get weird about video games...

2 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

It's really not that hard to understand that Bethesda and Bethesda Games Studios aren't the same thing, but if you really need help here's a short video that explains it with a nice graph. Hope this helps. https://twitter.com/i/status/1004786195627376640

That video only "explained" the same thing that you parroted off earlier, that the two are "completely different" because they have different names. Ignoring that they share the same facilities and employees and funds, do you think a publisher does not stick its nose into what its developer is up to?

But Doom '16 was buggy and incomplete, expect singleplayer. SnapMap - broken and too gimmick, multiplayer has a very few patches and abandoned after 6.66 patch(after it Doom MP feels more broken than ever). Sad but true. Defenitely, I hope for way better support, right decisions in basic things, maybe less outsource.

4 hours ago, Vorpal said:

That video only "explained" the same thing that you parroted off earlier, that the two are "completely different" because they have different names. Ignoring that they share the same facilities and employees and funds, do you think a publisher does not stick its nose into what its developer is up to?

I didn't ignore it. No shit they share the same facilities. That wasn't the point of my op. I only brought it because when you said Bethesda is known for glithchy games in fact almost all of the games that are like that and are famously known are from Bethesda Game Studios. Saying just Bethesda implies that every developer they have under their umbrella is guilty. That's all I was trying to say. Christ even the example you gave is from that studio, but apparently that went over your head too. Of course a publisher can stick it's nose in what it's developers are doing. but that doesn't mean it is always going to go their way. Id doesn't seem to have this problem usually as they are pretty firm in telling them the game will be released "when it's done".

5 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

Saying just Bethesda implies that every developer they have under their umbrella is guilty. 

And everything you've said implies the publisher has innocence over this problem of bugs and ceasing support ~4 months after release. I don't claim to know the inside workings of the company, just the outcome - and I'm genuinely curious what inside knowledge you have and don't want to explain (because apparently "everybody already knows this" so it doesn't deserve explanation?)

Id doesn't seem to have this problem usually as they are pretty firm in telling them the game will be released "when it's done".

e.g. even in this post, that seems an assumption to me, I wonder if it is based in any fact other than "doom 2016 was released in a polished state"? 

28 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

I'm genuinely curious what inside knowledge you have and don't want to explain

No-one has inside knowledge, we're just going off experience. The experience of the last decade is: Bethesda Game Studios games can be buggy on launch, but Bethesda Softworks published titles made by other developers (like Arcane Studios, Machine Games and id Software) generally aren't.

You seemed to imply that Bethesda Game Studios' reputation for buggy releases would somehow impact Bethesda Softworks' actions as a publisher that would then impact their influence over their other developers causing them to release buggy software too.

That seems a stretch, so instead it probably seems a better bet to presume history will repeat itself and Doom Eternal won't be released in a buggy state.

After last patch D16 launch randomly for me and many other players. But I think this a problem of modern times. Battlefield 4 waits years for 60Hz+ servers, Rage was almost unplayable at the start. I don't have hundreds game but only few which I play really rare, but I see this problem in many games.

EDIT: I'm curious will be there a demo/alpha?

I'm sure it's been said in this thread prior, but just because Bethesda is publishing the "modern" Doom games doesn't mean that they're making them. That's handled by id. Don't know why this is a point of contention at all.

Also omegaLUL, judging the game by a teaser trailer

On 6/12/2018 at 10:05 PM, bioshockfan90 said:

I'm sure it's been said in this thread prior, but just because Bethesda is publishing the "modern" Doom games doesn't mean that they're making them. That's handled by id. Don't know why this is a point of contention at all.

Because some people have trouble understanding that publishing a game isn't the same as developing one.

If it's to Doom 2016 what Halo 5: Guardians was to Halo 4, I'm gonna be real pissed.

There are instances where greedy, ahort-sighted publishers meddle in developer work to the detriment of the game - a notorious example is what Square Enix did to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. 

All those things had nothing to do with bugginess or lack thereof though. This aspect is all on the developer, and the publisher has no way of influencing it, even if they really wanted to. Saying Doom is going to be buggy just because TES is always buggy shows very little understanding of the division of labor in game making.

For the record, id Software complimented Bethesda on giving them full creative freedom, and I'm willing to bet they're doing the same with Doom Eternal since 2016 did so well. Bethesda is paying for it, but it's still id Software's baby. There's a reason Doom 2016 is notably lacking in the typical Bethesda bugs. Heck, Crytek was far more involved than Bethesda since many of its former talents worked on the programming for id Tech 6. Hence the weapon wheel.

Did this pointless, unanswerable question really deserve an entire topic?

I'm sure there will be some kind of DLC, all big games have them nowadays. I just hope it's actually for the single player campaign this time (maybe something akin to The Lost Mission from the BFG edition) and not just crappy adds-on to the multiplayer that should've just been there in the first place.

17 hours ago, Xfing said:

There are instances where greedy, ahort-sighted publishers meddle in developer work to the detriment of the game - a notorious example is what Square Enix did to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. 

Another example is what THQ did to Red Faction and Saints Row: adding aliens into the fourth installments of both games.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:58 AM, ATP2555 said:

Another example is what THQ did to Red Faction and Saints Row: adding aliens into the fourth installments of both games.

This isn't always a bad thing. New World Computing tried to add futuristic technology back in the day, and I still can't live down the fact that they didn't succeed. This would actually have had direct justification in lore though - not sure how it looks with the titles you just named.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, Vorpal said:

I think he fears Bethesda's reputation of super buggy releases and never fixing the issues (even in the PAID overhaul of skyrim, there are bugs dating back to 2011), but at this point I don't think we have any reason to believe that culture has penetrated to id... doom 2016 was rock solid, although SnapMap had some minor issues but who cares.

Except Bethesda isn't developing this game. ID is.

Holy fuck has no one here worked at a company that had a parent company? You think they don't breathe down the subsidiary's neck on a daily/weekly basis?

1 minute ago, Vorpal said:

Holy fuck has no one here worked at a company that had a parent company? You think they don't breathe down the subsidiary's neck on a daily/weekly basis?

Ok. Still, would Bethesda be like "Ok, make the game as buggy as possible"? They didn't do that with Doom 2016.

4 minutes ago, Doomarineactivated said:

Ok. Still, would Bethesda be like "Ok, make the game as buggy as possible"? They didn't do that with Doom 2016.

Don't make me research the dozens of titles that a major publisher decided to cut development on and publish it anyway to recoup losses

2 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

Don't make me research the dozens of titles that a major publisher decided to cut development on and publish it anyway to recoup losses

I highly doubt they would need to do that. 

Ok, me too, I think id lost their way for 15+ years and has finally turned back into something special. My argument in this thread is only that it's reasonable to be worried given the AAA gaming industry's past and Bethesda's past. I'm not worried personally, but trashing the OP for being worried is the dumbs

1 hour ago, Vorpal said:

but trashing the OP for being worried is the dumbs

Not sure about this part but...

See, it is unfounded in this case considering that Doom 2016 was released in a complete and polished state, so at least for now there's no need to worry about Eternal releasing as a total mess.

39 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

it is unfounded

the more times I repeat it, the more I feel like I am starting to convince myself that I actually am worried.

Bethesda:

a long history of publishing very buggy products and not addressing the bugs ever, to the point where entire fan communities emerge with clever hacks and mods as workarounds

id:

a long history of releasing straight up bad games (the last great one was 1999)

a long history of farming out their IP to other studios

recently involved in farming out sections of development to other studios, with poor to catastrophic results (see Quake Champions, Doom 2016 multiplayer, and Snapmap, only god knows how bad Rage 2 will be)

And then the industry publishers as a greater whole have a long history of releasing unfinished products and dissolving studios

31 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

a long history of releasing straight up bad games (the last great one was 1999)

What? Doom 3 was good.

8 hours ago, Vorpal said:

*Cough* Activision! *Cough*

I still have trust in id Software. Doom 2016 had only minor bugs. Doom 3 was a very good and Rage still a good one.

In addition I think Bethesda/Zenimax have a good influence on id. Just look at Rage and the cancelled Doom 4. With Doom 2016 they combined a really unique and Doom-worthy art direction, fast gameplay and awesome sound design. The game ran very smooth compared to other AAA titles.