Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
not_sure

"W1 Door Open Stay" flat out not working. Period.

I have dug through every thread I can find on the matter and have come up with nothing. I have closed out doom builder and reloaded my map. I have done everything I can think of and I have done so multiple times and this stupid door trigger just WILL. NOT. GO!!!

Sorry, I've been messing with this one door for over 4 hours now (seriously).

Anyway I've got a trigger that I want to open a door to work as an ambush.

I select Actions 2 "W1 Door Open Stay" and give it tag #5. I also flip it so that the player is passing through the front of the sector line (although I don't know if that matters). Then I make a sector to act as a door and set it all up (including the tag).

Nothing.

I test it by making it a self switching door and it works fine.

The trigger line does not turn the door yellow, which I know is not right.

I've done a this exact same set up on another door with a different tag and it worked fine.

I'm pulling out my hair here! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you post a screenshot of your setup? 

A use-activated door works fine so you have a functional door, at least. (Doors open to eight below the lowest adjacent ceiling, so a 0-height sector or a low ceiling inadvertently left nearby are common sources of trouble when doors aren't working.) 

With the walkover, is there enough space for the player's midpoint to cross the trigger line?

Since you've got another setup to work, something like that might be it. If not, try to look for very silly-seeming errors (like the intended door sector having its floor raised rather than ceiling lowered); a general rule of thumb is that brainfarts are a common source of errors that you can't seem to fix.

Let's start simple.

Both sides of the door have a ceiling height at least 64 units above the door's, right?

Are the line and sector tagged the same?

You said they walk over the line's front side, which is correct.

Also, everything rdwpa said.

1 hour ago, not_sure said:

I'm pulling out my hair here! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unless it's like rdwpa said, and the trigger line is placed in such a way that players can't actually cross it (which does not explain "The trigger line does not turn the door yellow" however, so are you sure the tags are all set up proper?), you can try actions like "raise ceiling to highest adjacent" instead of door related actions to see if that works, that way you'd at least get a similar function into the map.

Other than that, posting screenshots may or may not be useful, personally I'd very much prefer having a look at the map itself in the builder.

+1 to other responses here so far; here is my 2 cents:

First off, props on some basic troubleshooting before posting! It is always helpful to have more, or any, info to work off of.

As rdwpa said, if the door can function at all, then we can likely rule out conflicts with adjacent sectors.

1 hour ago, not_sure said:

The trigger line does not turn the door yellow, which I know is not right.

This sounds like a tagging issue, or you have sectors stacked on top of one another. At this point post screenies/map as others have said.

Line color has nothing to do with actions. The colors are based on the height differences of the sectors on either side. The line is brown when there's a height difference of the floors. If the floor heights are the same, but the ceilings heights are different, then it is yellow.

I'm pretty sure he means in the editor, like when you hover over something that has an action, it highlights and points an arrow toward its target(s), whatever they may be.

W1 means walkover once.

How much room does the player have after crossing the trigger linedef?

Spoiler

qrZg6OA.png

Not enough room and, of course, the door will not open.

Other than that, Doombuilder2 is beset with many bugs, which means that using DoombuilderX or GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix is advisable.

Remember, that if you're mapping for vanilla 16 map pix is the minimum safety distance - never go under 16 mappix between two lindefs when one of them is supposed to trigger something.

What will happen otherwise is that you test your map about 50 times as you design it and when you release it to public the first person playing will get strange errors. This has to do with the array storing lindef actions being finicky or so I remember it.

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions!

I finally fixed it by... well... I have no clue why it started working.

I started a new map to test out the walking trigger door and it worked no problem.

So I loaded up the first map, deleted the room and trigger (for the 5th time), and redid it. And, well, it worked.

Damn strange bug.