Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

TEAM ROCKET: Blasting Off at the Speed of Mapping - RELEASED

Fun stream! Can't wait to play everyone's maps. Props to DF, Jimmy, and AD for torturing themselves for 20 hours. May they have a solid slumber tonight.

EDIT: D'oh, and Mtrop + all the guest mappers! Don't worry, I hadn't forgotten you.

What about those of us who stayed up the whole (or near it) time watching them?

I was there for sixteen of those hours, four were only lost because I had to sleep.

I joke, of course. But yeah, great stream, boys. Really cool.

Let's not do it again anytime soon, though.

Was fun to watch, I hope you repeat that sometime. Looking forward to play the maps.

Amazing job to everybody involved, especially the mappers! You've earned the right to rest after this- and you managed to get out some wonderful maps in that time~

Was fun to spend most of the time there watching, and it was a pleasure to help contribute to the cause- and a thank you to everybody else who was able to as well!

I think I may nominate this for a Cacoward, all these quality maps composed in 20 hours are worthy of recognition.

That will have to wait until I eat something first, though, since it's been 24 hours since I last ate.

Edit:

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

I know you guys were intentionally rushing, but the maps all looked pretty good from what I saw. Great stream. Hope to see another one down the road. 

I watched a fair bit of the stream, partly while doing some mapping of my own. I was very impressed by what I saw, and as I said in the chat it was a heroic effort. You've definitely earned a rest - you should get at least a few days off before you're made to do this again!

Lots of these maps didn't even look like speedmaps at all. Some of them actually had very solid and creative concepts

There's a character limit in the automap.

EDIT: Ninja'd by a rogue insect!

Those truncated names also show on the screen at map start, if the WAD is run in GZDoom. Not preferable, so I'll have to fix that.

Edited by Jimmy

Texture funkiness on MAP04.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180626_142128.png.4d441ab4ba6d614890fc7790e3ddcf58.png

You can sneak up on this AV in MAP05 and cheese him from where I'm standing.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180626_142841.png.2d67e2210ae220fb7478cb2b2c1b062a.png

Other than that, no qualms thus far! Beat MAPS01-07, taking a break because goddamn that map is absofuckinglutely brutal, took me a buncha tries. But this is great, I'm super impressed with the level of quality and how everything plays!

Some really great levels here! surprisingly polished considering the time constraint. Because small punchy levels are a personal preference this is just perfect for me! Really enjoying blasting my way through these.

Thanks guys

There was no question about downloading a megawad whose first map is named Jim Bagrow's Small Night In. As one of Mr. Bagrow's comrades on The Macintosh Team back in those heady days of 1996, as we feverishly worked on the Realm of Chaos megawad, I couldn't help wondering what AD-79 would do. Would it be some sort of homage, resurrecting the spirit of he who was possibly TMT's most savage member? Would we find ourselves in a dark room with no cover and, by Jove, where'd that Archie come from? Would we find ourselves teleported into a cave and suddenly filled with bullets from Chaingunners immediately behind us? Or perhaps we'd find ourselves shooting rockets across a deep chasm, only to be horrified when Mancs, half a mile below, draw our rockets into the ground at our feet, while Jim cackles at how he cleverly killed us using a meta-gamey engine exploit. 

Well, no.

What we have here is a clean, attractive map that works smoothly. The only dick move is a crusher, and even that was a fast one that didn't kill me. It was a little bit mean-spirited, though, and I'm sure Jim would have said, "That's a good start, but in the next room, try this . . . "

Fun map. I liked it. And my eyes misted when I saw the modified Pestov Platform. IIRC, Jim still has the record for Most Pestov Platforms In A Single Map. Someone has to break that record someday . . . ;)

I'll admit to not at all being familiar with Jim's style. Pinchy tossed some guidelines and a mapname at me and I kinda had to figure something out in my own style based on those. Glad you at least liked the map, heh.

@AD_79 You didn't have much time to become an expert in Bagrowisms, either. ;) At least we know he made a lasting impression on Pinchy. :D

Btw, I have yet to dislike an AD-79 map, and I've played a fair few of them.

A v2 hotfix is out which addresses the truncated mapnames showing up in ZDoom, plus the death exits should now not be interfered with by weapon mods.

Congrats on the success of the WAD. There are many good maps as I browse through the set. As soon as I saw there are AD, Jimmy, Dragonfly, floatRand's maps, I think I eventually want to run some of these maps.

Some questions: I think these are Boom formats? Or it's written but I'm too blind to see it... Another thing is whether the WAD is still subject to future changes? Since I don't want the demos to desync.

Jimmy's Map02, Teahouse, is another easy but fun map with a really sweet layout. Even after I killed everything, I went back to the main area just to have fun leaping from all the overlooks and little grottoes. Has a deathmatchy feel, but I tend to like that, since it encourages zipping about with carefree abandon.

Of course, monsters were there to contest all that carefree zipping about, though not too many of them, only 36, but nonetheless, with dedicated effort, I successfully died when I allowed myself to get jacked up against the Red Key Door by a Caco and Pinky assassination team. And I saw it coming! ;D 

The map has plenty of health and armor, but Jimmy kept a miser's grip on the ammo, and cheerfully forced me to run straight towards a grinning Pain Elemental to grab a shellbox. Of course, this is as it should be, and it led to an enjoyable brawl that included a drunken, belligerent Hell Knight, who blamed me for his team's ill fortune in the World Cup.

Jimmy's extensive use of Brick10 reminded me that it's one of my favorite textures, yet one I seldom use. I remember Essel's Water Main map from D2TWiD as another Brick10 map that looked really cool. The texture seems to carry its own atmosphere and gives a nice feel to everything.

Nice BGM by Stewboy, as well. It's always easy to forget mentioning the music, so I'm going to make that a priority going forward.

So that's 2 good maps in a row. The next one, by MTrop, looks as if it might be a wee nastier. I'll soon find out. 

esselfortium's Water Main map did serve as a bit of inspiration for that map's looks. Good eye! :D

Completing map 29 on UV was no walk in the park for me, but map 31 is where I'm drawing the line. You win, map. 

Malicious little bugger.

You can blame Dobu for that incredibly harsh little map! :P I surprisingly was able to beat it, but it took a fair few tries (+saves) heh.

@GarrettChan I can't say for sure but I think we might update the wad one more time after some more feedback comes in. I think @Jimmy would be best to ask about that just in case we're going to consider this one final. :)

I did find one issue in map 28. The door leading to the yellow key switch can be opened from the other side by monsters, so if you open it and then do something else like check on your cyberbuddy the imps can wander out of the room and lock the door behind them.

I only caught parts of the stream but it was real neat seeing multiple maps being built in tandem, and the resulting product is pretty great.

Perhaps over the weekend, I will play this wad through and take notes. It sounds like it turned out excellent!