Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

Why is nobody maintaining PrBoom-Plus? Compilation Error

Posted (edited)

I have just received a new laptop, and am setting up my new environment. I installed MSYS2 and all relevent dependencies (correct me if I'm wrong though). Unfortunately, PrBoom-Plus doesn't seem to like the updated DUMB library. http://paste.debian.net/1029151/

I can confirm that by removing the DUMB library, the program compiles.I haven't verified if the program runs yet, but I will shortly. The point is that this is the first dependency to break due to the course of time, and it's certainly not going to be the last. PrBoom-Plus is the source port used for a large number of Speedrunning purposes, especially of the TAS variety. It's the closest to pure Boom and pure MBF available in a modern source port due to the lack of a Chocolate Boom or Chocolate MBF (I'm not counting WinMBF as it hasn't been maintained for years and might not use the latest MBF code). I highly recommend that somebody maintain it if the official maintainer plans on continuing to leave it alone.

edit: It runs... the problem is only with DUMB.

Edited by Danfun64

Please try this:

--- prbp/src/MUSIC/dumbplayer.c
+++ prbp/src/MUSIC/dumbplayer.c
@@ -65,6 +65,7 @@

#else // HAVE_DUMB

+#define DUMB_OFF_T_CUSTOM off64_t
 #include <dumb.h>
 #include <string.h>
 #include "lprintf.h"
@@ -135,7 +136,7 @@
   {
     dumbfile_close (dfil);
     dfil = dumbfile_open_memory (data, len);
-    duh = dumb_read_mod_quick (dfil);
+    duh = dumb_read_mod_quick (dfil, 0);
     // No way to get the filename, so we can't check for a .mod extension, and
     // therefore, trying to load an old 15-instrument SoundTracker module is not
     // safe. We'll restrict MOD loading to 31-instrument modules with known

Care must be taken these days, because there's been a few spinoffs: Graf's version for Visual Studio with UMAPINFO, and another with an SR50 fix, if I recall correctly. I have also been planning a version which is a test bed for the Compatible Doom Extensions stuff, but that hasn't started yet. Even finding the very latest source is not as straight forward as it could be.

PrBoom-Plus is sort of unique in the world of source ports, in that it's basically finished - it has accomplished its mission statement, so to speak. I suppose that's why entryway is not very active in the source.

But, I agree: Code rots, no matter how well it's written, and it needs to be kept up-to-date.