Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaptainResident

Favorite "Creepy" Map?

10 hours ago, TFK said:

I knew that SgtMarkIV's mods had creepy visuals and sounds, but nothing like THIS.

Yeah, Sarge sure kicked the tone all the way up with that one. Sadly, though, it seems there's gonna be a change to it in the next version of the pack ("Extermination Day" is the official name for it) and it isn't as spooky with that one. At least, so far it isn't.

I hope he knows what he's doing with it.

8 hours ago, Ledillman said:

Nothing beats Doom64's MAP20: Breakdown

Yep, my second favorite, right behind you-know-what. Wasn't that the map with the puzzle so big and confusing that the devs at Midway lost track of it and it had to be scrapped?

49 minutes ago, CaptainResident said:

Yep, my second favorite, right behind you-know-what. Wasn't that the map with the puzzle so big and confusing that the devs at Midway lost track of it and it had to be scrapped?

I believe what you're referring to was  the trigger for an obscure secret, not necessarily a secret level. The puzzle for completing the level is still intact, I believe. 

3 minutes ago, Job said:

I believe what you're referring to was  the trigger for an obscure secret, not necessarily a secret level. The puzzle for completing the level is still intact, I believe. 

Ah, right! I was thinking of one of the ports that removes the easter egg. Yeah, the obscure secret was what I was referring to. The devs just couldn't remember how to do it.

The one that jumps out the most for me is Halls of the Damned. The music on the SNES version made it feel scarier though. The level always made you feel something terrible was around the corner and that one wrong step would lead to dire consequences. The map creeped me out as a kid that I only did the bare minimum to beat the level and nothing else.

Also, Final Outpost on Doom 64. Not so much the level is creepy, but the music does a good job of reminding you that you're out in space, by yourself, and that there is no living human around for hundreds of millions of miles. If I was ever out in space alone this would be the track in my head.

"Whispers of the gnarled king" (Sunder map 16)

SunderMap16-1.png

A scary map firstly because of the music from Stonekeep the wooden dark textures and the overwhelming architecture. This level is also outrageously long which could make the player thinks that he will he never finish it. Also , add the brutality of the battles mixed with the deadly platforming.

On 6/16/2018 at 12:44 PM, MTF Sergeant said:

I knew that SgtMarkIV's mods had creepy visuals and sounds, but nothing like THIS.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:05 PM, CaptainResident said:

Yeah, Sarge sure kicked the tone all the way up with that one. Sadly, though, it seems there's gonna be a change to it in the next version of the pack ("Extermination Day" is the official name for it) and it isn't as spooky with that one. At least, so far it isn't.

I hope he knows what he's doing with it.

Very good map with a great horror theme to it, but it's probably being revamped because one whole section of the map was lifted from Hell Revealed Map 15.

I actually think the Mucus Flow is pretty creepy. Does an excellent job of actually making the base feel abandoned and ruined. The music track that comes with it helps a lot too.

+1 for E3M4 House of Pain.  Those torture rooms full of blood and bodies, along with the mournful music really captured me the first time I played it.

Another shout for Sgt Mark IV's Map28 Sacrificial Grounds.  The dismembered marines chained up, screaming with their eyes sewn shut is something everyone needs to experience in life!

I would also recommend playing through PSX Doom and Doom 64, as they really do change the mood entirely, thanks to Aubrey Hodge's fantastic dark ambient soundscapes.  I always remember PSX Doom's MAP46 The Courtyard, where you kill the first barrage of enemies and step inside the courtyard, only the creepy music is audible, before you set off one of the trip wires and see a dozen pinky demons charging at you from a way off: really different feel from Doom 2's original version of the level.

Elend's huge new Hurt.wad has several areas which are very creepy, due to great use of darkness, gloomy lighting and the excellent hellish soundtrack my Immorpher.  A real sense of brooding menace if you take your time and let the dread seep in.

26 minutes ago, SPYDOR said:

+1 for E3M4 House of Pain.  Those torture rooms full of blood and bodies, along with the mournful music really captured me the first time I played it.

Felt the same, that's why it is still one of my favorite maps as of now.

But talking about creepy, I have a few more in mind:

Map 23 Satan's Promise from Dark Encounter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjE_Ml9fyQ

Starting in the torture room, not having music but cries of tortured marines immediately set the mood

Map 5 The Undertaker from Hell Ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KizboluVnDI

Less gory, but nonetheless scary. BGM including cries of child deepens this feeling.

Map 13 Heart of Darkness from Alkylation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUEXZ2Tagfg

Mass processing torture entertainment for demons... That's seriously nuts, but I like it! Choice of BGM was not the greatest in my opinion though, but still like it!

One Fine Day (map26) from the 1994 TU project. Seeing the level literally transform into more and more of a hellscape really did it for me as a younger one.

And more recently...

Maps 12 and 20 from TNT Revilution

I'd have to go with "Hunted" from Plutonia.  It feels like a survival horror game. 

9 hours ago, Maser said:

I'd have to go with "Hunted" from Plutonia.  It feels like a survival horror game. 

I feel Hunted would be creepier if it was a night-time map, but it's definitely a good shout!

On 6/19/2019 at 5:12 PM, Magicana said:

Very good map with a great horror theme to it, but it's probably being revamped because one whole section of the map was lifted from Hell Revealed Map 15.

Majority of it was from Freedoom too, yeah. I can understand the revamp for the map itself and such, but the tone shift in hell for that pack took away most of the horror factor.

I still like it, the newer hell in it is neat, but I sometimes miss the really spooky atmosphere.

The first part of unhinged was PERFECT in being creepy and the buildup to the "happy hell" aspect and its monsters was wonderfully creepy without being too much in your face.

Well, I suppose most of the maps from PSX Doom, Doom 64, and since recently, all of Shadows of The Nightmare Realm.

9 hours ago, DoomedFox said:

The first part of unhinged was PERFECT in being creepy and the buildup to the "happy hell" aspect and its monsters was wonderfully creepy without being too much in your face.

I loved the atmosphere to Unhinged a lot, but... That whole face thing was just a little too goofy for me. Which is kind of a shame, there's some pretty good code work at play with some monsters.

But yeah, the opening of it was tense and wonderful.

E3M1 Inferno.wad by Chris Lutz. You feel very lonely in this massive gothic place until ......

E4M4 Crusades.wad by Richard Wiles. A dark level which will punish you hard if you are not careful. The map contains very little health, a handful of health bonuses, only a couple of stimpacks and no medikits. Finding the berserk pack is vital and killing all the shotgun guys as fast as you can will make life a bit more easy, but not much. One of the hardest maps ever created.

Alien Vendetta MAP20

TNT Evilution MAP16

Scythe 2 MAP16

The Ghoul's Forest 2

SIGIL E5M6

New Doom Community Project II's MAP19 really stood out for me. Not only did it deviate greatly from the other levels up until this point, as it is primarily puzzle-based, it also actually managed to scare the crap out of me the first time playing through it (the horrific red skull texture 'jumpscares' were well executed). The music track also substantially adds to the creep factor. Too bad the map itself is plagued with bugs.

I was about to scold you all for the lack of a Mucus Flow mention, but TheMightyHeracross saved you. Consider yourselves lucky, I was about to get the belt.

Seriously though, there are quite a few moody maps out there, but none stuck with me the way Mucus Flow did. That overrun abandoned base combined with the eerie music just reeled me in like few maps can. The tone was set perfectly and the map was very fun to play through. It left a permanent impression on me.