Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jointritual

What do the different like / reaction buttons mean?

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I guess it depends on what is getting the likes, but I can see when and why just getting a few reactions might feel underwhelming. I wonder if actual discussions have decreased in quantity in general since likes have become a thing or if that's maybe just a phase of sorts.

It can be a phase depending of whatever trending topic happens in the moment, you know...like the recent E3 and the incoming Doom game for example...

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

This was worth an invisibility to me...

Actually, it was worth somewhere between an invisibility and a megasphere, but using banker's rounding rules, I chose to react with an invisibility.

You get a soulsphere. That's all you get. That's all anyone gets!! That's how it was back in my day, con sarnit!

42 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

multiple orb shit

I don't Dislike it, and I feel if we conpain to much ling will disable it immediately. I do wanna say I don't understand what the different spheres mean, if someone uses a megasphere are they calling me fat? are they angry facing my post, are they mega-liking my post? Is the invulnerability sphere super angry, or is it a supermega like? If I get an invulnerability sphere have I ascended to god status? Just me feedback here, the spheres are neat, but confusing.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

I dislike this multiple orb shit to be honest

For a healthy diet you need different kinds of spheres. It's like a pack full of gummy bears, there's different colours for different tastes. ;-)

15 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

I don't Dislike it, and I feel if we conpain to much ling will disable it immediately. I do wanna say I don't understand what the different spheres mean, if someone uses a megasphere are they calling me fat? are they angry facing my post, are they mega-liking my post? Is the invulnerability sphere super angry, or is it a supermega like? If I get an invulnerability sphere have I ascended to god status? Just me feedback here, the spheres are neat, but confusing.

I think that rate it yourself and follow your criteria. Like...depending of the comment and situation, you can put a....invul sphere for some really good one comment...

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

For a healthy diet you need different kinds of spheres. It's like a pack full of gummy bears, there's different colours for different tastes. ;-)

There you go a lime gummy bear... :D

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

> healthy diet

> gummy bears

:thinking:

I wish the list of reactions per post weren't covered by a single number and a generic shaded sphere. Having to choose between so many reactions but ultimately seeing only a number of totals -- that weakens the impact. Sure, you see the ranking if you hover or tap, but that takes a conscious effort and doesn't seem worth it for what is ultimately lighthearted parody. Maybe as a suggestion, instead of the shaded soulsphere, the forum can show the dominant reaction (in case the site designers don't want to put too much graphics showing them all).

I had a feeling this would be brought up eventually. Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a 'rating' system with the different orbs. I always just pick the one I feel like clicking at the moment :D

Actually, I use this system with one of two ways.

First way:

If the post is something I kinda liked, it gets Invisibility sphere (I think it looks cool as an item).

If I REALLY liked the post (like in the Doom pictures thread), it gets a Invulnerability).

Second way:

If I am not feeling like doing the above, I just give the Soulsphere and be done with it.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, Doomkid said:

That was worth an invulnerability to me. (They pop up when you touch the soulsphere once, then you touch the orb you like).  Tbh I only came up with the rating idea because I didn't know what to do with the other orbs. Anyway, " X liked your post " sounds better to me than " X reacted to your post ". X may have reacted by shooting his pc, who knows. But we don't need pain elementals for dislikes.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:12 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I just picked my favorite one to like posts with, so I like posts with the invulnerability. A couple times I've gone with a different one (blur sphere, mostly) as a joke of sorts, but I stick to my invul.

I agree with @Aquila Chrysaetos. It could be just an option to like the post with the sprite of your favorite power-up. Nothing new.

There's no precedent for powerups from a 1993 game being used to react to posts, so the confusion and arguing seems pretty normal. Maybe if they were to stay, their meanings would typify into something the community as a whole agrees on, like what happens with twitch emotes.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:39 AM, Doomkid said:

On top of all that, I can no longer like posts with my mobile phone, as touching the soulsphere just makes the other spheres appear without any way to select them.

The new like system is awesome, now I only read posts with at least 10+ likes.

I don't like them and find them really bad for some discussion topics, serious posts get ignored while jokes and satire get a shiny banner to stand out from the other posts, it isn't intended to be harmful but it 100% skews topics and might derail them. At least there isn't a stupid downvote button!

On 6/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, j4rio said:

The new like system is awesome, now I only read posts with at least 10+ likes.

I'm liking this post but I have no idea what it says.

How I like posts:

Soulsphere: Like, nothing too exciting but worth one nonetheless.  

Invulnerability: Aargh, great stuff and I'm jealous of it. 

Megasphere: Cool stuff, really awesome post! 

Invisibility: This is new to me, I learned something new! 

The only thing that bugs me is that you can't see the specific like types people got, only the total amount. What's the point then? That completely nullifies the metagame! edit: nevermind, I forgot how to do that and then confused myself by only reading printz's post halfway.

I enjoy the like system itself. I want to see ALL the appreciation of my posts, not just the appreciation of people who have something to say! And posting just to say "This." is bad forum etiquette, so it perfectly fits a niche.

Edited by Scypek2

21 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

The only thing that bugs me is that you can't see the specific like types people got

Click on the number...

Scypek if you click the blue numbered box, a window like this will appear. 

nETEx2Z.png

I give everyone soulspheres. Likes, as I use them, capture impulsive praise: the internet equivalent of a smile or laugh, an acknowledgement of strong content in place of '+1' or 'this!'. Passing more refined judgement doesn't fit within that model, so it isn't something I'm personally interested in. Other people doing it doesn't bug me too much, however. 

Personally I use the "like" spheres in this way:

Soulsphere = like

Invisibility sphere = lol

Invulnerability = never used so far

Megasphere = awesome

Guys, this is ridiculous, trying to unravel or assign meaning to the power ups from Doom used in the context up upvoting messageboard content is a complete waste of energy and time.

I mean come on, we should be putting this collective brain power back into figuring out if you actually die at the end of E1M8 (spoiler alert).

I use the "like" spheres like this:

Soulsphere = like

Invisibility sphere = like

Invulnerability sphere = like

Megasphere = like

I use them as:

Soulsphere = Like.

Megasphere = For something I find worthy of more than just a simple "like" .

Invulnerability = For something lit.

Invisibility = For something that's not likely to be seen/happen/whatever.