Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirk

Recommendations for Total Conversions?

As blasphemous as it might sound, I've found that I don't enjoy most "pure" Doom mods (exception that proves the rule: I loved BTSX until about halfway through, and then I gave up on it when I found myself hopelessly lost in the maps).  By contrast, I love projects like Urban Brawl, Golden Souls, the two Wool Ball projects, and Project Einherjar.  I've also enjoyed re-conceptualizations like Stronghold and Skulldash.

Are there any other total conversions or other such projects that I should look into?

The Inquisitor III, Super Sonic DooM, Hocusdoom, Castlevania - Simon's Destiny.

Also Netronian Chaos, though it doesn't contain maps.

Winter's Fury (it's very cool but short), Temple of the Lizardmen series (a bit uneven but there are 4 wads to play).

Legacy of Suffering. Be warned though, while the aesthetic is very Doom3-insipred, the gameplay is very much Painkiller.

Community is Falling 3. Immature, puerile, hilarious, brutally hard and one of the biggest, most ambitious undertakings ever to grace the ZDoom engine. It's basically the PC version of PO'ed.

And while I also recommend Winter's Fury, be advised that it's pretty taxing on hardware.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:46 PM, Dirk said:

As blasphemous as it might sound, I've found that I don't enjoy most "pure" Doom mods (exception that proves the rule: I loved BTSX until about halfway through, and then I gave up on it when I found myself hopelessly lost in the maps).  By contrast, I love projects like Urban Brawl, Golden Souls, the two Wool Ball projects, and Project Einherjar.  I've also enjoyed re-conceptualizations like Stronghold and Skulldash.

Are there any other total conversions or other such projects that I should look into?

Aliens TC: The original is still a damn fine DeHackEd TC.

Aliens: Colonial Marines: This one looks more modern but it's also shorter.

Strange Aeons: From the same guy who did Einherjar. Five (!) episodes of weird, Lovecraft-inspired wandering. Bigger emphasis on his Dream cycle but Cthulhu sneaks in there at the very end.

Return of the Triad: RotT-themed but not styled. Gorgeous architecture, ludicrous gibs.

Gene-Tech: A prequel to Quake II staged at a biotech lab on Earth before the invasion. Heavy use of models.

Adventures of Square: Modern retro-flavored FPS with geometric puns. The second episode came out not too long ago! I haven't played it yet.

Mayhem Mansion: Somewhere between one of those horrid early-90s adventure games rendered through CGI and those ugly as sin Pie in the Sky FPS games and way better than it has any right to be. Provided you don't mind trying to wrap your brain around an acid freakout.

Hacx: Cyberpunk.

Batman Doom: Another damn fine DeHackEd TC. Don't fail to fight Bane with your fists!

Twilight Warrior: Trying to turn Doom into Black Ops. Not as successful as many of the other TCs.

Chosen: Egyptian-themed TC.

Temple of the Lizard Men: There are four of these. Between the first three, I think I like the second the most. The third has an epic scope but it feels like there's a lot of padding. Sort of Indiana Jones-type serials meet Sword and Sorcery.

Star Wars: Chibi Rebellion: It's Star Wars but cute and funny and less focused on gritty combat and more enjoying goofy stuff. Each "mission" is built out of random maps (but the individual parts don't repeat until you've seen them all) and there are some fantastic things to see.

Unhinged: Doom weapons, yes. Doom monsters, no. One single and very creepy level (but no screamers!)
The Inquisitor III: First person action RPG. Play it on a lower difficulty; UV ain't worth it.

Encrypter: A short and simple Heretic TC.

A tad late but, for a sadly incomplete project, Foreverhood might interest you to kill some time

On 6/16/2018 at 11:46 PM, Dirk said:

Nuts.wad [/sarcasm]

Alien invasion. It would be awesome. Here's a few  new enemies:

Zombieman=Mind Controlled Human

Shotgunguy=Same, but with an Alien shotgun

Chaingunguy=Same, but with an Alien chain gun

Imp:Alien that throws green Plasma balls

Hell Knight:Alien with special armor, throws green Plasma

Baron=Alien in Mech Suit, shoots bullets from 2 guns

Pinky=4 armed Alien creature

Spectre=Same, but invisible

Arch-Vile=Alien Shaman, instead of fire it summons mystical purple energy

Mancubus=Alien that has an energy cleaver

Cacodemon=Floating robot, shoots rockets

Cyberdemon=A cyber Alien, same attacks, just with Plasma

Arachnotron=The head is blue instead of red, basically the same

Spider Mastermind=Same, head is blue and shoots rockets and Plasma

Weapons:

Fists=Alien wrist gauntlet

Pistol=Plasma Pistol

Shotgun=Alien rifle, not a shotgun, but is completely replaced

Minigun=Alien minigun, shoots Plasma

Rocket Launcher=Alien Rocket Launcher, still shoots rockets

Super Shotgun=Alien shotgun, shoots Plasma

Plasma Rifle=Same, but green

BFG=Is a cube, but when you switch to it it folds out, revealing a BFG, same look

Story: You are a Space Marine, and now its your job to send the Aliens that are invading back to the hole they came out of. It should be a Doom 2 mod.

Nobody mentioned Ashes 2063 yet. It only has one episode so far, but damn that was one of the best TC's I ever played. Someone else also made a short add on campaign sanctioned by the creator. It's also good but it doesn't quite match up to the original imo. check it out.

For a completely different feeling also check out Blade of Agony, which is basically not Doom anymore, because you walk slow, you have to reload and JFC, what a great TC it actually is. 

DooMRPG is a really cool experience. Unfortunately I cant get it to run though but what I've seen it looks nothing but fantastic.

EDIT: Oh wait thats not really a TC... Hey I can recommend Aliens TC from '94 and the 2017 remaster. I feel the 2017 remaster is highly underrated.

2 hours ago, elend said:

For a completely different feeling also check out Blade of Agony, which is basically not Doom anymore, because you walk slow, you have to reload and JFC, what a great TC it actually is. 

Don't forget that BoA is not technically finished yet.  I think the developers still have 2 more episodes to go, if I'm not mistaken...

Does The Crystal Maze count?
@m8f A short WAD containing 5 maps (IIRC) was made by the author of that mod and another guy later on, so combined the mod and the wad maybe also count as a 'TC'.