Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Firehouse Subs: Founded by Firemen

I've been hearing a lot of extremely positive comments about Firehouse Subs over the past month or so. Youtubers Daym Drops and Joey from Joey's World Tour both have given extremely positive reviews for the restaurant. A friend of mine has practically become addicted to the place, driving up to one of the only three locations in Canada every weekend. He's been encouraging me to go with him so that I could finally understand what all the hype is about, and today I finally did. I went with the meatball sub since a lot of people seem to regard it as their flagship sandwich.

The bread has a very unique flavour to it. Slightly buttery, slightly sweet. Subtle notes of vanilla cake frosting. Tastes delicious, but is a little on the chewy side. Robin and Chris Sorensen have said that their bread rolls come from a private family recipe and I can believe it. Impressive.

Firehouse Subs have strongly proclaimed that they have the absolute best meatballs anywhere. Guaranteed. I don't doubt the sincerity of Robin and Chris Sorensen when it comes to how they feel about the quality of their food. In terms of freshness, the beef being used in the meatballs is of a very high calibre. The problem is that the meatballs are way too salty, and lack any real personality of their own. I've had some superb homemade Italian meatballs in my lifetime that put these meatballs to shame. In a proper homemade Italian meatball, the flavours of the garlic, Parmesan cheese, onions, and Worcestershire sauce all elegantly blend together to create a magnificent symphony of deliciousness. With Firehouse Subs, they just took the freshest beef they could find and then inundated it with salt as if to mask the fact that they lack the culinary expertise to create a genuinely gourmet meatball. I am not deceived. 

Marinara sauce is salty, sugary and plain. Not much else to say, really. It does the job, but it won't be winning any awards. At least not from me.

Provolone cheese is perfectly alright. As with the meatballs and marinara sauce, it's also pretty salty, but provolone cheese benefits from being at least a little salty. This is fine.

TL;DR Firehouse Subs meatball sub is alright but very oversalted, and for me, it just didn't live up to the hype. I wouldn't mind trying Firehouse Subs again sometime, but I might pass on trying their meatball sub a second time. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go consume a pitcher of Brita water.