Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

There you go @Devalaous

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Ah damn it, I wanted to do at least one Dr. Sleep map.

Hmmm, if you know more maps from him, don't hesitate to make them. I think you know more of that stuff than us. It doesn't matter how many Master Levels maps could be.

Neat! My thoughts about it were "What if this level was added to the original PSX Doom back then, but cut? TMW01 and nightmare imps were in the game at one point, maybe extramap could have been reworked into one of the new levels, but cut like TMW01?"

Given the left side of the wad is actual unique stuff, it could have been the start of a third jaguar exclusive map like Hell Gate and Console Hell Keep. The right side is apparantly textured exactly like the conversion of its home jaguar map, its an odd little relic, but it matches up with at least one jaguar map having pieces from the original map left over somewhere. Fun to think about what this map's left side was originally going to be.

9 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

There you go @Devalaous

Hmmm, if you know more maps from him, don't hesitate to make them. I think you know more of that stuff than us. It doesn't matter how many Master Levels maps could be.

There isn't any. Those were his two standalone maps, his other five got put into the Master Levels (all of which got ported to PSX Doom), and Waters of Lethe was never released.

Hence, "Ah damn it," as the gun was sort of jumped. But if they're already made and done, it'd be silly to say "let someone else make them."

It's probably a bridge too far, but I had heard that he may still have some wads on his computer in various states of completion. Possibly, one of his family members has access and would be willing to let us include those maps in this project. That would be a very fitting tribute in my opinion. A couple of those family members are registered on this forum. They seemed to appreciate what he meant to us as a community, so maybe it is a possibility.

32 minutes ago, Job said:

It's probably a bridge too far, but I had heard that he may still have some wads on his computer in various states of completion. Possibly, one of his family members has access and would be willing to let us include those maps in this project. That would be a very fitting tribute in my opinion. A couple of those family members are registered on this forum. They seemed to appreciate what he meant to us as a community, so maybe it is a possibility.

Who knows. It'd be up to if they felt it'd be worth it or even had access to it - it's been a year now, so it's entirely possible the computer got junked, sold, who knows.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Who knows. It'd be up to if they felt it'd be worth it or even had access to it - it's been a year now, so it's entirely possible the computer got junked, sold, who knows.

I can try sending them a PM. Worst they can do is say no. 

8 minutes ago, Job said:

I can try sending them a PM. Worst they can do is say no. 

Couldn't hurt to try I suppose.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, Devalaous said:

Neat! My thoughts about it were "What if this level was added to the original PSX Doom back then, but cut? TMW01 and nightmare imps were in the game at one point, maybe extramap could have been reworked into one of the new levels, but cut like TMW01?"

Given the left side of the wad is actual unique stuff, it could have been the start of a third jaguar exclusive map like Hell Gate and Console Hell Keep. The right side is apparantly textured exactly like the conversion of its home jaguar map, its an odd little relic, but it matches up with at least one jaguar map having pieces from the original map left over somewhere. Fun to think about what this map's left side was originally going to be.

Here it goes.
I call it "Altar of extraction" because extramap.wad was a silly name for automap and intermission. Sure GEC can choose different name if they not like it.
Now it feels like E2 map with some sense of Hell Gate and Phobos Anomaly. It can run on Final Doom if needed.

Changes:

Spoiler

-a few added locations: 2 secrets, a couple of small monster closets, and exit room.
-all monsters are stayed, also added lost souls and mancubi near the end.
-the progression idea was the taking the red key and returning back.
-added the supershotgun.

Edited by riderr3

I am so glad this is happening. The only way it could be better is if the level is then re-converted for PC again in the style of Xaser's Lost Episode.

5 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I am so glad this is happening. The only way it could be better is if the level is then re-converted for PC again in the style of Xaser's Lost Episode.

As I know, when this project is finished this maps will be available for GEC GZDoom Master Edition.

I know it'll probably be available like that anyway, I just think it'd be cool to have another version with the same "warped reality" theme the rest of Xaser's episode has. That wad was about adapting scrapped and console exclusive levels, and extramap is both, so I'm sure it would have been there if its existence was known at the time the wad was made.

On 4/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, Gerardo194 said:

I hope his maps are intact. in any case, I think making tribute maps are a good idea.

Someone has technically already made a tribute map to Dr. Sleeps Waters of Lathe. I believe it was @Xaser who worked on it for UDTWIDDI. Its a pretty solid map.

Edited by BlackxZodiac13

1 minute ago, BlackxZodiac13 said:

Someone has technically already made a tribute map to Dr. Sleeps Waters of Lathe. I believe it was @Xaser who worked on it for UDTTIDDI. Its a pretty solid map.

Yeah, but he's talking about seeing if the file is still sitting there on his old computer somehow. Which it may or many not be. We don't even know if his computer is accessible anymore, after all, due to his passing.

Back when I was doing research for my UDTWID tribute-map, I hunted around the 'net for any information regarding Sleep's "Waters of Lethe", and while there wasn't much (a bunch of words and one screenshot; certainly no downloads or anything), there were enough murmurings from the author to suggest that it was at least partially complete. That means in theory the wad exists _somewhere_, but it's probably a tall order retrieving the file at this point given the circumstances.

1 hour ago, Xaser said:

Back when I was doing research for my UDTWID tribute-map, I hunted around the 'net for any information regarding Sleep's "Waters of Lethe", and while there wasn't much (a bunch of words and one screenshot; certainly no downloads or anything), there were enough murmurings from the author to suggest that it was at least partially complete. That means in theory the wad exists _somewhere_, but it's probably a tall order retrieving the file at this point given the circumstances.

I agree with that assessment. But I suppose that will be up to the people who got in touch with his family members to put it out there, if they even have access to it/are willing.

And if not, hey, a couple others at least got added to the project.

Great stuff guys 😍

@GEC Are there any pending features/enhancements we are waiting for, or just finishing up the remaining maps?

Very existed to play the next beta (or release 🤩)

This is not meant to rush you guys I know everyone is doing their best 👍

After considering how exactly to phrase my request, I've sent out a PM to @Fraulein and @sbrangard67, two of John Anderson's survivors who took the time to speak with us as a community after his passing. In the spirit of transparency, this is the message I issued to them. The decision is ultimately in their hands (or John's estate), and whatever it is, I fully respect it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry, I'm not necessarily sure how to properly open this message to you or how to greet you since we only have our forum handles to go by. Please bear with me while I try to adequately convey the feelings of a great many people within our community.

You both may recall when it was revealed to all of us, last September, that John had passed away. A lot of members, including myself, had nothing but praise for his legacy and were at a loss to sufficiently convey just how significant his contributions were, and still are, to all of us. One of his most notable achievements was the porting over of his Master Levels maps to Playstation Final Doom. These levels were expertly crafted, aesthetically remarkable and left an indelible impression on each of us Doomers who experienced them in our teenage years. 

As adults, we're now more fully capable of appreciating the depth and meaning of his work, but also have the technical capacity, focus, and drive to properly honor and reciprocate those feelings. Currently, some of our technically-inclined members and a handful of others, are working hard to create a penultimate version of Playstation Doom that includes many levels that didn't make the commercial version due to time and budget constraints. We've all agreed that we'd love to include more of John's work into a special portion of this project to serve as a fitting tribute to his legacy. Unfortunately, the available maps that are a part of his canon are somewhat limited in number and those that are known have already been released. 

The reason that I'm reaching out is to ask for something significant from you, if it's something you're willing and able to help us with. I understand and appreciate that what we're asking is, to a degree, selfish on our part and we only hope that this request isn't coming too soon. Specifically, some people in our community who had more contact with John were under the impression that he had some maps, in various states of completion, that were never released. The reasons that they weren't released weren't known to us, but only to John. However, if you believe that it would align with his wishes, we sincerely desire to bring those remaining maps to the light, lovingly and faithfully complete them, and then port them over to our Playstation Doom project. 

There are a lot of unknowns that we're hoping you can help elucidate, like where these maps (*.wad files) would be stored and if they can be retrieved. We also understand that we are asking you to have a lot of confidence in us in order to place his legacy in our hands, but please rest assured that you would be hard-pressed to find individuals who hold in higher esteem his gifts and achievements. We wish to help craft this capstone to place atop his towering body of works that have literally, truly, influenced a whole generation. If it is within your power, and desire, to assist us with this, we would humbly, gratefully accept any direction you can provide.

Respectfully Yours,
Job

51 minutes ago, Alfaifi said:

Great stuff guys 😍

@GEC Are there any pending features/enhancements we are waiting for, or just finishing up the remaining maps?

Very existed to play the next beta (or release 🤩)

This is not meant to rush you guys I know everyone is doing their best 👍

There's already some enhancements, like a restoration of Nightmare skill (albeit without respawning Monsters I think, basically turning it into UV -fast), and I think Erick is trying to get Playstation Mouse support into the original Doom levels (whether he's actively hacking that in or is simply going to reuse the Final Doom code and just have the Playstation edition's maps running on the Final Doom EXE I don't know though). They also restored a VRAM viewer cheat code.

Past that I'm not sure of if they'll be doing more, but he's actively reverse-engineering the code, and there is the possibility that he could find ways to improve it. That might come down the line though.

42 minutes ago, Job said:

After considering how exactly to phrase my request, I've sent out a PM to @Fraulein and @sbrangard67, two of John Anderson's survivors who took the time to speak with us as a community after his passing. In the spirit of transparency, this is the message I issued to them. The decision is ultimately in their hands (or John's estate), and whatever it is, I fully respect it.

All I can say is good luck with it - they were last here in September of last year, so time will tell of if they respond, much less if they actually have the files.

Yeah, it's been awhile, so we might need it. But you never know, people can come through for you when least expected, so it's good to have faith. I'm going to believe. How wonderful would it be if we were able to include Dr. Sleep's previously unreleased work for him?

17 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Here it goes.
I call it "Altar of extraction" because extramap.wad was a silly name for automap and intermission. Sure GEC can choose different name if they not like it.
Now it feels like E2 map with some sense of Hell Gate and Phobos Anomaly. It can run on Final Doom if needed.

Changes:

Hide contents

-a few added locations: 2 secrets, a couple of small monster closets, and exit room.
-all monsters are stayed, also added lost souls and mancubi near the end.
-the progression idea was the taking the red key and returning back.
-added the supershotgun.

Oh wow, the changes arent 'crazy' but enough to make it a full viable level, just what I wanted~

Neat use of nightmare and spectre flags, maybe Altar of Nightmares as the level name to reflect that? I dunno how often you guys use those flags in your levels for this, but if this level as-is made it into PSX Doom, it would definitely be a supersecret level given how the flag was never really used outside of the nightmare spectre intentionally

Actually a lot of current maps using NM flag, and it used not only by whim, but as example a compensate a lower monster variety on some maps, or to provide replacement for monsters with higher HP, or provide a boss fights like in the end of this map. It's a feature of Master Edition, along with enabled nightmare skill and in-game VRAM viewer, fake 3D sectors, and special transparent textures. I'd say pushing PSX Doom engine to the limits.

I uploading PSX Doom support texture pack. It will be handy when more tools will be released. @Erick194 and @Gerardo194 I know you'll be interested to see that.

A set of additional textures and flats for actual PlayStation Doom, for map makers and others who interested. PNG format, they work in palette range.
Mostly all textures are seamless. They all is sorted and have name prefixes to fit PSX Doom.

Initially, many textures and flats are removed from official PSX Doom by various reasons, mostly because of the width, cause here you need to be economical due to the limited memory of the console. I shortened many textures, made them seamless, and so on, e.g. PSXified them.

What is included:
-16-wide variants from 64 or 32-wide Doom textures: bars, crates, wood, pipes, panels...
-64-wide variants from 128 or 96-wide Doom textures: doors, comps, natural walls, steel...
-128-wide variants from 256-wide Doom textures: plutonia rocks, stone, D1 skin...
-some fixed variants of textures, e.g. comptall without dithering (useful with the comp switches); proper 128-high tekwall without black bottom, baron head which corresponds the marble texture, e.t.c.
-multiple stacked texture with different steps which are excluded previously (useful because you can use all type of steps on map, just change y-offset).
-multipurpose keylock textures.
-vertical exit texture which costs only 16-wide units (you even don't need to spend space to whole exit door).
-tnt and plutonia skies optimised to work at 256-wide units and seamless. Also simple starry 64-wide sky and black void sky (in this case you can also use sky effect on floor with transparent flats).
-PSX Final Doom textures for usage in PSX Doom.
-transparent texture and flat for special effects (the ones that I discovered, and GEC added them to Master Edition).
-coloured glass-window textures which are cost 16-wide units.
-grate and hex-like flats for ceilings, through which you can see the sky in outside areas.
-other PC Doom textures and flats which not appeared in PSX Doom (some of them fixed).

You'll need to convert and add them to work in PSX Doom.
Tutorial how to add new textures by Erick194.

It's only a small preview, there are 300+ textures and flats:
8Gi0NFo.png

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ku2dau84d1igdbj

Edited by riderr3

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Mostly all textures are seamless.

Mostly, or all? Because it's kind of useless if they're not seamless and won't tile.

47 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Mostly, or all? Because it's kind of useless if they're not seamless and won't tile.

Of course. That's means all seamless, except the few which are not need to be seamless (e.g. doors). Even the one with scary faces is tileable and looking proper.
I also tried 3rd plutonia sky in-game and it looks awesome.

Good, I just wanted to make sure. Interesting. It'll be fun to play with some increased texture variety for the exclusive maps - assuming, of course, Erick is on board with that.

Excellent work @riderr3, this will be useful for future versions, in the extra episode or for the same maps, thank you for your collaboration. =)

On 4/23/2019 at 7:30 AM, Gerardo194 said:
On 4/23/2019 at 5:57 AM, Dark Pulse said:

Ah damn it, I wanted to do at least one Dr. Sleep map.

A bizarre idea personally offered to @Dark Pulse is taking Recant designed specifically for Heretic and then manually converting it to Doom2 with its properly corresponding things. Later on, the texture that Anderson defined can be restored to fit in Master Levels episode.

This will take an amount of hard works but at least consider it as your original initiative of voting for the two from Inferno.

new texture's can be added? OwO

Man I am sooo hyped for when the tools are properly ready so we can do mas-modding.

TMoD PSX edition will rise! (maybe... if I bother)