Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

I wanted to record a video of me with the gameplay of desert prison from fragport in PlayStation format but I kept getting the data failure message, and every time I try to reduce the size of the file it dose not work, not even replacing all the hell knights or revenants with imps or joining all the sectors together

Edited by RonLivingston

On 6/8/2019 at 4:20 AM, MateuszDragon said:

It's possible to run PSX doom master edition on unmodded PS2 90000 series or PSP-3000 series ?

PS2, not without some sort of modding, whether hardware of software like Free McBoot or something.

PSP, probably can via POPS (the PS1 emulator built-in to the PSP). Jailbreaking those is pretty trivial, too.

13 hours ago, MateuszDragon said:

I have a question. How Nightmare difficulty works in master edition and whats a diffrence from pc version?

AFAIK, it's basically akin to UV -fast. Monsters move and fire faster, less downtime between attacks, etc. There is no respawning though, and Thing placement is the same as UV (of course).

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

AFAIK, it's basically akin to UV -fast. Monsters move and fire faster, less downtime between attacks, etc. There is no respawning though, and Thing placement is the same as UV (of course).

Their fireballs is also faster. It not doubling ammo pickups like at NM skill in PC Doom. Not needed here because of no monsters are respawning.
Though PSX Doom NM is more ordinary, I even beat Well of Souls with pistol start (surely with controller).

Speaking of monster respawn, I do not think that this opportunity was hidden (it may simply removed for technical reasons). Therefore maps with monster spawner cannot work properly.

Perhaps this can be implemented as waves of teleporting monsters and, for example, put a Hell Knight inside the hole of goat’s forehead, which later activates a special tag 669. Although I personally don’t recall that this tag was previously used.
Moreover, IoS textures take up a lot of VRAM space, and therefore it would be advisable to use economical variants for other textures (when they are added to beta3).

Edited by riderr3

38 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Moreover, IoS textures take up a lot of VRAM space, and therefore it would be advisable to use economical variants for other textures (when they are added to beta3).

Maybe a re-color of the marble baron cube/wall flat? It could be remade red or possibly with tentacle texture? 

56 minutes ago, Job said:

Maybe a re-color of the marble baron cube/wall flat? It could be remade red or possibly with tentacle texture? 

Well, looking at the IoS prototype from the first page of this thread, which are pretty old:

r2qe8qthy4dozznzg.jpg?size_id=5

It's possible a smaller IoS, considering added gratings and firesky, there only few space left.

Not sure how it can be done with TNT's Last Call, because:
1) Larger map which needs more texture variations. A lot of linedefs also needs to be removed.
2) There is a cyberdemon which not fit here if other mid-tiers will be used. No cyberdemon means less challenge, and as result it need more ambushes with some redesign of this area.
3) A teleport puzzle with voodoo doll. PSX Doom does not support voodoo dolls at all (they are not appearing). Maybe change it to different kind of puzzle and save a lot of linedefs.

Edited by riderr3

Just a little bump for this thread on it's birthday, and I found a minor bug with PSX GZDoomBuilder, this central window seems not right:

X7uWjYT.jpg

Also it's a possible to update editor to latest revisions (current is R3003).

Latest have useful features like "Fixed a bug where the unknown texture error checker didn't report unknown textures on sidedefs that were never seen." (e.g. the rear upper side of a door sector). Along with speed improvement of texture browser.

Edited by riderr3

I'm trying to regenerate the .img of certain maps (which have gone through the decode tool) with MAKE_IMG_LCD.exe but I'm getting zero byte MAPTEX00.IMG files. Is there any way to fix?

edit: Attached is the first level and the modified iwad. Since the original PSX IWADS are being shared through the [GEC] tools, I'm assuming uploading this is fine.

In case you haven't guessed, this is a modified version of the Doom Forever bootleg iwad with all the nudity removed. Kudos to Kudos for managing to regenerate .img files before the [GEC] projects started.

DECODE.zip

Edited by Danfun64

@Danfun64
Use the method I described before:

On 1/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, riderr3 said:

Also tip for somebody who want open ROM maps from CD image:
-use decode tool
-change .wad to .rom
-use "final to doom" tool

Then MAKEIMG_FINAL.

Also current tools is limited and existed only for making Master Edition test image, without adding multiple maps, properly adding new textures (you can replace old ones, but it will broke animated textures and will use too much memory), e.t.c.

Edited by riderr3

Do I have to reconvert the map back to final doom format, along with copying over the other generated files, or can I just make due with the maptex??.img? If the latter, how do I get the maps to load, as the .img file size is different from the original?

edit: Does PSXHAKING.EXE only allow for one-map-per-Master-Edition-Distribution or what? Do I have to edit the exe by hand through hex editor?

Edited by Danfun64

I know that Erick has said in the past that once the Master Edition is complete, he'll release a hacking toolkit for the Playstation version of the game that will support all sorts of stuff.

That's partially why we've missed the anticipated deadline for Beta 3 - he went hard into entirely reverse-engineering the game.

Allow me to reiterate that it's amazing how Kudos managed to get shit done somehow long before the GEC stuff, including regenerating the .IMG files apparently.

As I know the Kudos hacking group did only retexturing and changed CDDA tracks, without possibility of making new maps, adding NM, ans so on. Old maps just being swapped.

Ok...ALMOST...

I found this:

UPD: Also having problems with moving boxes. The funny thing is "lighting detector" near the button is working fine. Eh...

Edited by Đeⓧiaz

Hehe, it is my fault I have put my priorities in many things, but calm down guys this project I have not forgotten. =)

I have many screenshots of Beta 2 with new issues saved over the past few months, so I will post them now.

Warrens

If you flip this switch and get inside caco room before this door gets closed, you get stuck forever inside

XqhEjk6.png

Mount Pain

There are still glitched surfaces exists, through the window

o7uCbzU.png

Gotcha

I can get through this narrow passage and pass it without shooting the skin wall. I do not know if it should be so or not

nqFc9J5.png

The Chasm

There are some yellow-marked lines in the automap which activating raising floor. Here I can skip them running along the very edge, left or right

7Odljs9.png

Also here

RQvrzIw.png

Missing line in automap

UwD3WUN.png

Not sure if this tech texture should be right here

7HA4AaC.png

Twilight

It is hard to get through this section due to slowdowns. I would only advise a little simplification of the stairs and especially the area with blue armor - there are two completely unnecessary sectors on it that do not affect the gameplay if they removed, but can help raise the framerate. The area just too heavy for PSX standards

QtAbR6L.png

Also maybe optimize west area a bit

Pharaoh

I forgot to apply color to that sector, and it is noticeable

Blfxmab.png

Garrison

I need to do something with these columns that open with keys. Because unlike a PC map, you have to press a few more times to open them

AU77oGJ.png

Industrial Zone

This switch can be activated from side. It's former crates area from PC map

mzhFLE3.png

Also I suggesting GEC to add economy/support/returned textures (which I provided before) and use shorter bars, e.t.c. You can free space to add crate texture. Just because this place doesn’t seem by itself without crates

Some curious people think this is some kind of secret passage, and take the time to jump in there. I suggest just making these lines impassable and masking with metal midtexture.

g4h9dry.png

Mill

Possible to use this switch even from here

v83jf6m.png

When you shoot at the walls on the opposite side, this platform rises. After this, if you do not activate the upper switch and jump down, you cannot move on, because platform is raised. I think you can make some additional line activator

6w1doXA.png

Power control

An harmless HK. His projectiles bumping into wall. I suggest a little bit lowering the window

tWGwzpb.png

Mostly harmless NM Spectre. He mostly stucked inside this section

HdEPitW.png

This path exists only for multiplayer, but it also can be opened from the side, in singleplayer

527LPF3.png

Phobos mission control

It seems that the nukage wall texture should be used here

OWyCVEO.png

Odyssey of noises

Wrong aligned texture above the door

Mexn9OD.png

Edited by riderr3

I've just been lazy.

Still need to do a few fixes and then it's pretty much done though, all that's left is fixing the bugs and coloring it. Monster placement is complete and the Things have been trimmed down to their final reductions needed.

I checked my maps with @riderr3's images and I did fix the bugs he mentioned. I also noticed a few mess ups on my own.

List of things I changed:

Spoiler

CHASM:

- The sides of the doors in the central room are now all using the DOORTRAK texture, rather than a tech wall texture.

- Some of the LINEDEF triggers for some of the "traps" have been widened. They may still be possible to skip. If this is the case, consider it a free trick. :)

MILL:

1347037345_MILLREPAIR01.png.035073b13d5ca0dd0c28cb9eb846245f.png

- I increased the depth to the switch so this should be much harder to cheese.

1801448469_MILLREPAIR02.png.0dd7f1f8fec2311a2be6edc555e99af9.png

- For some reason I didn't mark this door? Either way its now marked with a blue light. :)

IMPOSSIBLE MISSION:

1743016092_IMPOSSIBLEMISSIONREPAIR01.png.468e1df2ce968a72be1a9ad000fcca0e.png

- The bricks were inverted here so I simply separated the fence an wall a little and fixed the inverted texture.

- No picture for it but I un-stuck two enemies in one area of the map. Both of them accidentally had the "easy" flag set. XD

- The red key door in the starting room is now lit up red.

- The yellow key switch (the one next to the teleporter) is now so hidden you need noclip to skip grabbing the key.

(Nearly) EVERY MAP:

- Un-hid a few unnecessarily hidden linedefs.

PSP converter, standing by 👍

Once Beta 3 arrives I'll test it, clean it up and release the code/resources.