Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

15 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Is it possible for the PSX Final DooM maps to use PSX DooM's music? If it is, that'd be cool. :3 (And if so, I nominate GO2IT to use club doom ;) rest of my maps can use whatever you guys feel fits the best.)

Interesting fact: Final Doom music have all tracks from Doom except two: one which played at Command Center, another one from Hell Beneath and Tricks & Traps.

Club Doom music is not usual track but CDDA one (like the ones from menu), it's activated by special trigger. It was true that this track was not involved in Final Doom, because it absolutely does not fit into other maps. Perhaps it can be replaced by some other (sinister CDDA track) and played on the maps with Icon of sin (or last maps). These are just my suggestions.

If we've got the room (and could get Aubrey's blessing), it'd be great to add those 20th anniversary new tracks for the original maps episode, maybe.

Thing is, Erick would have to add several new linedef triggers (for different tracks), and we'd need a way to basically have a "silent" normal music track play while surrounding the player starts with the linedef needed to trigger the music.

38 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

Update of the "Tools and Projecs" tool in OP

No-monsters build options, god yes. Have my babies.

How's this work though? The method I'd used basically just stripped all difficulty flags. This is actually good because even if they're not appearing on the difficulty, they'll still consume VRAM and thus still bomb out if you've got too much variety, for example.

Same way, or something else?

The enemies are simply on the map, but when loading, delete the flags and do not appear and will not load the sprites in MAPSPR01.IMG, therefore eliminate consumption in the memory of the psx.

2 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

The enemies are simply on the map, but when loading, delete the flags and do not appear and will not load the sprites in MAPSPR01.IMG, therefore eliminate consumption in the memory of the psx.

Hmm. Then that means that it goes a bit further and could theoretically hide crashing out on too many monster types. I guess it doesn't matter (since if you're doing nomonsters, you're really testing the geometry), but it's definitely worth noting that it means that someone might think their map is fine, build, and submit without testing if it will crash on malloc.

Though admittedly there's relatively few levels left to do so by and large most of them should have no trouble as they all predate V4 of the tools. :P

Exactly it is only to verify the progress of the level, and they have to add the enemies they want to put and verify that the zmalloc does not overflow. Good point.

One more question: When setting the music, should that be done before a map build, or after? Not quite sure how it works.

Before or after it doesn't matter, although the ideal is to have a map to check.

An example if you have a completed map, already inserted in the CD image, you can try the music as many times as you want without recompiling the map.

4 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

Before or after it doesn't matter, although the ideal is to have a map to check.

An example if you have a completed map, already inserted in the CD image, you can try the music as many times as you want without recompiling the map.

So then basically once you set it, it automatically sets it as the map's music when you build?

That persists between maps, too? For example, if I was building a Doom map and then began building another, if I didn't modify it, it'd still embed the same track when I built the new map?

Fair enough. Then yeah, that'll be good for atmospheric testing, although I admittedly tend to have the track I'd planned on looping already while building the map. But ingame definitely also helps. :)

Another thing that I forget, if red letters come out, it means that the music fails and presents problems in the sound and in the worst case the CD does not run the map on the real hardware.

An example is with the map Impossible Mission , which if I put the music 4 "Larva Circuits", throws me red letters which would fail

As I understand correctly if many different-sounded monster types presented on map, and if music track is too heavy, last monster in alphabet order will lose some of his sounds (RAM limitation).

Edit:

So I get used of music hack tool.

As example a successful track change at Pharaoh. It even have some free space for sounds.

jBIFw1z.png

Alas, I didn’t have less than a kilobyte for They Will Repent. I hope someone else uses this track because it is not in Final Doom.

coUapZy.png

Larva Circuits, indeed one of the heaviest tracks, though I don't have a problems with it on Stronghold, because this map mostly full of different zombies who using same sounds.

There is not much difference between Reverb Modes, although for example SPACE produces a strong echo, it is better to use that tracks on maps with large inner spaces.

You are unlikely to ruin the map if you select an inappropriate track, because ambient music still mixes well. But you can choose a track and it will fit even better into the map. For example, use tracks with a growling/moaning in hellish maps. Metal clangs and rattle are well suited for tech bases and towns. In sewers and maps with large liquid pits, tracks "A Calm Panic Rises", "The Broken Ones" and "Sanity's Edge" are well suited.

What else I want to say, that it would be nice when if the OP later it will be indicated which tracks were selected for the levels. Do you know why? We don’t want to hear the same track when moving to the next map from another participant. Therefore, priority is given to those who have chosen the tracks earlier. I am addressing this to @Erick194.

Edited by riderr3

I'm a little confused.Can you, guys, explain by giving instructions on how to use that baby, V4. What batch should be launched first once I put wad? What should be done next?

Finnaly, dealt with it. A plethora of bat. simply drove me mad.

Edited by mr-around

20 minutes ago, mr-around said:

I'm a little confused.Can you, guys, explain by giving instructions on how to use that baby, V4. What batch should be launched first once I put wad? What should be done next?

Just run Music Hack.bat AFTER the CD image compiled. No_monsters.bat is for compile map (CD image) without monsters.

You can choose tracks for collaborative maps Administration Center and March of the demons.

Also I noticed there is still transparent dots in REDROK01 texture in Doom version of tools. In beta 2 it have been fixed.

7 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Alas, I didn’t have less than a kilobyte for They Will Repent. I hope someone else uses this track because it is not in Final Doom.

Steadfast Extermination also doesn't exist in Final Doom's list as well; people should use both of these tracks.

2 hours ago, StalkerZHS said:

@riderr3 so awesome that you managed to change PSX soundtracks.

would we be able to get a video? I'd love to see it in action

It wasn't riderr3... it was the tool he used from GEC!

2 hours ago, StalkerZHS said:

would we be able to get a video? I'd love to see it in action

Keep an eye at my Youtube channel. I uploading videos periodically, especially during this project. And yes, it was GEC tool, thanks to them.

16 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Steadfast Extermination also doesn't exist in Final Doom's list as well; people should use both of these tracks.

I used it at Spirit World and it suits perfectly.

Also notice OP is updated music tracks info for maps.

On 9/23/2019 at 3:32 PM, riderr3 said:

We don’t want to hear the same track when moving to the next map from another participant. Therefore, priority is given to those who have chosen the tracks earlier.

What to do if a music track really fits the mood of the level, so you cannot choose another? As I noticed, in the OP, some tracks repeat in succession. Could I come to an agreement with @riderr3 to reconsider making choice of some songs? (Level 20: Central Processing  and  Level 22: Habitat play the same theme, yet not in a successive manner. Can we leave it as is? Calm Panic Rises is best song for Central Processing... choosing another will ""compromise"" it)

2 hours ago, mr-around said:

What to do if a music track really fits the mood of the level, so you cannot choose another? As I noticed, in the OP, some tracks repeat in succession. Could I come to an agreement with @riderr3 to reconsider making choice of some songs? (Level 20: Central Processing  and  Level 22: Habitat play the same theme, yet not in a successive manner. Can we leave it as is? Calm Panic Rises is best song for Central Processing... choosing another will ""compromise"" it)

This is a question for the GEC, I think that they can change at will. But need to understand that they may need to rebuild something again, especially if they choosing this tracks for upcoming Beta 3.

No problem because there is an Administration Center between these maps, especially since it is a long map. The main thing is that not recommended to use identical tracks at neighboring levels (previous and next, including previous/next secret ones). In the case of official PSX Doom maps, this was only on Twilight Descents and the subsequent secret The Marshes, where the Corrupted track was used. Perhaps simply the omission of the developers when they compiling the maps.

Especially given the fact is some tracks are repeating in PSX Doom and Final. Even 3-4 times through the game.

P.S. Also I hope that someone will use "Hopeless Despair" track at least once.

Edited by riderr3

No problem with music here, it's up to you guys if you want to change it... But actually I think the tracks you guys chose are quite nice!

I'll say it again, Beta 3 will be better than Beta 2. You'll see it because I have seen it almost complete ;)

9 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

No problem with music here, it's up to you guys if you want to change it... But actually I think the tracks you guys chose are quite nice!

I'll say it again, Beta 3 will be better than Beta 2. You'll see it because I have seen it almost complete ;)

I may review and change some tracks after Beta 3 is released, just in case. Maybe I’ll change it to unused ones.

I suppose you guys only waiting for Bloodsea Keep will be submitted. I thought this map was already done 2 months ago. Perhaps some difficulties appeared.

5 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

I suppose you guys only waiting for Bloodsea Keep will be submitted. I thought this map was already done 2 months ago. Perhaps some difficulties appeared.

Slackdom appeared over my summer break. (That and other stuff I do wound up taking more time than I anticipated.)

I'm aiming to have it done by Sunday night so they meet their release plans.

It's also not the only map yet to be finished, unless a whole bunch of GEC maps flipped, but I know I still at least have Tech Gone Bad to do, and that will require definite geometry work.

14 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's also not the only map yet to be finished, unless a whole bunch of GEC maps flipped, but I know I still at least have Tech Gone Bad to do, and that will require definite geometry work.

You're reperating this so much. I don't know why is so hard to do with Tech Gone Bad? I mean, for the Gameboy Advance Doom I did a conversion of this map without any problems. And since GBA is not so powerful than PSX, I don't understand why are you so sure that you will need to rebuild the map in extreme conditions.

Tech Gone Bad is anyways less detailed than NRFTL maps with monstrous quantity of linedefs (by PSX Doom standards).

I've read same about Sigil maps, but you all have seen that it's not even a problem to make it working in PSX Doom

1 hour ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

You're reperating this so much. I don't know why is so hard to do with Tech Gone Bad? I mean, for the Gameboy Advance Doom I did a conversion of this map without any problems. And since GBA is not so powerful than PSX, I don't understand why are you so sure that you will need to rebuild the map in extreme conditions.

The map breaks the sidedefs limit quite severely, so I will be having to chop a whole lot of lines to make it fit, basically.

Then, of course, make sure there's no overflows and the like. So it'll take a bit of work, testing, trial and error.

"Master Edition [GEC]_V2" Is not working properly: enemies, weapons and items are invisible for some reason. Also, is there any way of loading the games with software renderer instead of OpenGL?