Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

1 hour ago, D88M3R said:

"Master Edition [GEC]_V2" Is not working properly: enemies, weapons and items are invisible for some reason. Also, is there any way of loading the games with software renderer instead of OpenGL?

Are you getting these issues in PSX emulators or GZDoom??

I suppose this is the right thread to ask

I already told GEC that people can confuse because of same project names. Too late for renaming.

P.S. On another side this section is for console doom, I don't know how people can confuse it.

Edited by riderr3

2 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

I already told GEC that people can confuse because of same project names. Too late for renaming.

I'm not reponsible for the names...

6 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Are you getting these issues in PSX emulators or GZDoom??

In GZDoom. I am actually using my old computer now instead of the other one, so i cannot run the latest version of GZDoom because of some OpenGL thing if i recall correctly. This happens when i run the .bat file by the way, i dont know if there is any other way of executing the files so i could use it with LZDoom or ZDoom. 
It sucks because it worked perfectly fine on my other computer which was way more modern, and now i have a mouse that works properly and all so i was really hoping to play them x(

@D88M3R Hmm, that really is fatal my friend, if you want to comment more, do it in the corresponding thread as mentioned by @riderr3, and if @CoTeCiO let me know the same thing that happens to you in older computers, those are ploblems that I must correct in the future, Another thing I should mention is that this project is unique in a modified version that I made for the Gzdoom 1.9 which is not compatible with any modern update, my goal is to try to pass everything in modern versions, but that will be in the future. Tell me if your current PC can run GL and which version is Shader?

I’m not sure if this has been discussed already or not, apologies if it has, but has split screen multiplayer mode been given a thought for this project? I don’t quite know how something like that would work but I’m thinking if I were to AutoBleem a PlayStation Classic to play backup games as well as this or put RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi unit then it would be cool to be able to play split screen with my dad. I recall the original Doom on PS1 had a multiplayer feature of sorts where you could link two consoles together both with their own disc and TV and could play co-op or death match so it would be neat to retain that feature to some degree.

32 minutes ago, handofthesly said:

I’m not sure if this has been discussed already or not, apologies if it has, but has split screen multiplayer mode been given a thought for this project? I don’t quite know how something like that would work but I’m thinking if I were to AutoBleem a PlayStation Classic to play backup games as well as this or put RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi unit then it would be cool to be able to play split screen with my dad. I recall the original Doom on PS1 had a multiplayer feature of sorts where you could link two consoles together both with their own disc and TV and could play co-op or death match so it would be neat to retain that feature to some degree.

Impossible without majorly hacking the game. The game does have multiplayer, of course, but yes, it required the link cable, along with two consoles, two TVs, and two copies of the game.

So in short, not happening anytime soon, if ever.

And the main hardware of PS1 is not capable to show two players view on the screen for this game with current engine (there will be 5-10 FPS, technically speaking).

Someone may request any number of new features that come to their mind, but this is not the goal of the current project. In Master Edition for Playstation, it is the “recovery” that is performed, where the missing maps are added, the cheat code that was hidden by the developers, the fifth level of difficulty which technically was ALREADY present in the game e.t.c.

Even being untested, usual MP mode via link cable still should work on Master Edition at most of maps. Coop and DM starts is present. Although it would be nice if there were a couple of volunteers with hardware equipment to test Beta 4 in multiplayer, when the most maps will be ready.

For myself, when I needed a split-screen on the console, I played on a PS3 with a friend. Getting a PS3 a much easier nowadays. Although this is a Classic Doom port instead of PSX Doom port.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, Erick194 said:

@CoTeCiO let me know the same thing that happens to you in older computers

Yeah, depending of the GPU of the computer, it does happen, you don't get the contrast effects, and no sprites in Doom 64. I'm almost sure I pointed that out in the GZDoom Master Edition thread.

EDIT: Here, I documented it, with screenshots and everything. 

Just handed in Bloodsea Keep. Would've liked a bit more bug testing, but ran out of time (have to be up for work in less than four hours from the time of this post).

Hopefully there's nothing nasty about it. There shouldn't be, but someone may find something niggling or nitpicky. I sure hope not.

No pictures due to the time crunch, sorry. But you'll be playing it tomorrow anyway if Erick releases as intended. :P

Hello friends, Beta 3 has been released, I hope you enjoy. Chek out the OP, I also have to add the other names of the maps in the OP but I will do so in the next few days. =)

Just played few levels on UV. I just wanted to have fun so I didn't pay too much attention for minor bugs, but still:

There is some ugly texture misaligments in E1M4b (the first secret you can reach from the start, for example). On Forgotten Sewers the plasmagun and...uh, I forgot...have invisible flag (I'm ok with Hellknights, they looks interesting).

yijoQoGr4-s.jpg

Those windows doesn't block hit-scan attacks. So chaingunners can easily shoot at you. You can shoot too, but only with pistol/shotty/chaingun. That's not good.

This is the last level I finished, so I didn't play it further.

BTW, the level "They Will Repent" uses "The Broken Ones" track. IMO, it doesn't suit the map at all. It must use some hellish-themed music. For example: Beyond Fear, Lurkers, Twisted Beyond Reason...

P.S.: Glad to see the additional intros (:

I'll update the wiki page and post my dev notes for the three maps I did that got added when I'm back home in 4-5 hours. Currently on my way to work for the first half of my workday.

At this point there's not many maps left to complete for the official/semi-official stuff, so it's time to begin talks in earnest for SIGIL and/or the original episode.

3 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

BTW, the level "They Will Repent" uses "The Broken Ones" track. IMO, it doesn't suit the map at all. It must use some hellish-themed music. For example: Beyond Fear, Lurkers, Twisted Beyond Reason...

I just wanted to use Hopeless Despair here, but I didn’t have enough memory! This is kinda temporary solution so far, it depends how much those tracks will repeat through the games. Also each person may have different musical preferences, and the GEC does not impose strict restrictions.

I'll try Beta 3 right away when I get home.

Music is definitely a subjective thing, and since it's almost a dozen people mapping for it, there's bound to be some variance in tastes and what's appropriate.

It should ultimately be up to the mapper who did the hard work what song they feel is appropriate, though.

Going down the list on the OP, I noticed there a lot tracks that are rarely used:

Retribution Dawns - 2x
Sanity's Edge - 1x
Hell's Churn - 2x
Digitized Pain - 3x
Mind Massacre - 3x
Breath of Horror - 2x
A Calm Panic Rises - 3x
The Slow Demonic Pulse - 1x
Steadfast Extermination - 1x
In the Grip of Madness - 1x
Lamentation - 2x
Twisted Beyond Reason - 2x
Hopeless Despair - 0x
Bells of Agony - 1x
Vexation - 0x
Infectious - 0x
Larva Circuits - 1x
The Fowlness Consumes - 0x
Unhallowed - 3x
Demon Drone - 2x
Tendrils of Hate - 3x

On the other end, these tracks have been used a lot:

The Broken Ones - 5x
Corrupted Core - 5x
Lurkers - 6x
Beyond Fear - 7x

27 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

Going down the list on the OP, I noticed there a lot tracks that are rarely used:

Retribution Dawns - 2x
Sanity's Edge - 1x
Hell's Churn - 2x
Digitized Pain - 3x
Mind Massacre - 3x
Breath of Horror - 2x
A Calm Panic Rises - 3x
The Slow Demonic Pulse - 1x
Steadfast Extermination - 1x
In the Grip of Madness - 1x
Lamentation - 2x
Twisted Beyond Reason - 2x
Hopeless Despair - 0x
Bells of Agony - 1x
Vexation - 0x
Infectious - 0x
Larva Circuits - 1x
The Fowlness Consumes - 0x
Unhallowed - 3x
Demon Drone - 2x
Tendrils of Hate - 3x

On the other end, these tracks have been used a lot:

The Broken Ones - 5x
Corrupted Core - 5x
Lurkers - 6x
Beyond Fear - 7x

I was actually debating on Infectious for one of my levels. Decided on Digitized Pain (also rarely used) for that level instead.

Also proud to have one of the uses of Demon Drone and A Calm Panic Rises. Matter of fact, my other map left thus far is using Unhallowed, so I guess I'm just a sucker for rarer tracks.

Very exciting! The DoomWorld logo FMV you added in was a real surprise, it looks so legit! I'm just testing things out now on the PSP. I've only just got it running so I have no specific feedback yet, but I will just say that because of the extra menus you have to go through now, the title screen music is a bit overused and it may be better to save that for the one instance where it'll have the most impact :)

Is the extra cheat enabled in this beta, and if so, what is it and what does it do? I need to update my PSP readme file.

5 minutes ago, Kroc said:

Very exciting! The DoomWorld logo FMV you added in was a real surprise, it looks so legit! I'm just testing things out now on the PSP. I've only just got it running so I have no specific feedback yet, but I will just say that because of the extra menus you have to go through now, the title screen music is a bit overused and it may be better to save that for the one instance where it'll have the most impact :)

Is the extra cheat enabled in this beta, and if so, what is it and what does it do? I need to update my PSP readme file.

VRAM viewer, and yes, it is. Triangle, Square, Up, Left, Down, Right, X, O.

It's pretty useless for normal players, but it shows much of the same info we get in the VRAM Viewer Mode in the GEC PSXDoom Builder - all the flats, sidedef textures, etc.

Also note Nightmare difficulty got added. It's not the same as true Nightmare (enemies can't respawn), so it's basically more like UV -fast.

15 minutes ago, Kroc said:

The GEC logo FMV by GEC and Doomworld logo courtesy by @Dexiaz

Apologise if this has been answered before, I just downloaded the new beta but wich emulator should I use for this, and how do I load up the (new) beta through it?

I just want to play and enjoy the game, and perhaps help look out for possible bugs and glitches if I can.

Glad to see significant progress on this and see a new release, congrats.

PCSX-Reloaded is a good all-round emulator that's a bit easier to use than ePSXe which is the most commonly used one. Just load the cue or bin file from the "File > Run ISO" menu

4 minutes ago, OniriA said:

Apologise if this has been answered before, I just downloaded the new beta but wich emulator should I use for this, and how do I load up the (new) beta through it?

I just want to play and enjoy the game, and perhaps help look out for possible bugs and glitches if I can.

RetroArch is also very usable as well via its Beetle PSX core (which is really Mednafen, which is actually more accurate than EPSXE or PCSX Reloaded).

Wiki page semi-updated - Team GEC definitely added way more maps in than the current OP lists (such as all of Christen Klie/Jim Flynn/Dr. Sleep's extra output), so I need an updated listing from them.

In the meanwhile, for those who look forward to the rantings and ravings of a madman, here's my notes for my three additions this go-around.

Please note, if you don't want to be spoiled, play the maps first.

Also, an apology in advance for the length of Bloodsea Keep's notes - it's LOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

TNT Evilution MAP05: Hanger

Spoiler

MAJOR CHANGES

• Vast simplification of the metal barriers in the Eastern Courtyard (with the sky). The geometry was just too complex and kept bombing out with point overflows.
  • The map is so complex that it forced the removal of several monster types in order to fit under memory limitations, but as they were relatively disused, it made for relatively easy swapping:
    • Barons of Hell removed; replaced by Nightmare Hell Knights - same HP.
    • Revenants removed; replaced by pairs of Nightmare Demons - same HP. This does mean that the combat is slightly different due to Demons lacking a long-range attack (since in PSX Doom, Revenants' missiles always home), but this is somewhat moot anyway - walls are so plentiful and Revenants move so slow in PS1 Doom that it's a fairly easy fight. This actually potentially makes this encounter slightly harder due to demons being much faster, and me being a little evil with the environment.
    • Zombiemen removed; replaced by Shotgun Guys. This does cause a slight HP increase overall in the map of 20-50 HP (depending on difficulty), and a somewhat bigger risk to player damage due to Shotgun Guys being considerably more dangerous than Zombiemen up close, but overall that's trivial.
    • Unlike an earlier revision of this map, this allowed me to keep Cacodemons as a result of the Zombieman swap.
  • The lift that lowers for the automap secret could be activated by pressing on the back side of the wall in PS1 Doom; this does not happen in the PC original. Removing the lift flag from the linedef eliminates that problem, but then the player can be trapped inside the alcove if the lift goes back up.
    • To fully eliminate the problem, I cleared the lift flag off the linedef, but added another switch in the alcove that will re-lower the lift, thus still forcing the player to get the automap secret through a run like in normal Doom, while still allowing them to get out if they remain in there long enough for the lift to go back up.

MINOR CHANGES

• Lots of texture alignment fixing - the original map was pretty horrid with this, especially anywhere there was stairs, and due to the texture motif changing, this was a foregone conclusion at any rate.
  • Generally moved rusted metal "strip" texture alignments -8 on the X, since the default alignment (due to PS1 affine texture mapping warping) was causing the rivets to be visible since they were just outside the normal edge of drawing if you strafed back and forth in front of them - this hides them better.
  • Some walls added pegging or pegging was removed.
  • Some room height adjustments (notably the switch that lowers the stair chunk for the full automap, and the room where there's an imp in a "window" where all the corridors with lights are) to prevent texture stretching.
  • Some room height adjustments (balcony you access with the yellow key) to prevent texture misalignments owing to fussy doors warping textures.
  • Heavy rework of the lighting to make the map seem much more derelict and enhance the atmosphere. (I would've preferred to do this another way, but the fact I can't have lights randomly blink ON, only OFF, forced this method.)
  • Door leading to the courtyard shrunk from 96 wide to 64 wide to fit the texture; stairs adjusted to flow with new door better.
  • Removed Tech Columns from courtyard, as they are tinier than in PC Doom, getting too close made them disappear, and it simply looked fugly.
  • Yellow key door shrunk from 96 wide to 64 wide to better fit the texture.
  • Spectres (as we know them) don't exist in PS1 Doom. Replaced with Normal Demons with BlendMask1, which is more or less the equivalent anyway.
  • Deaf-flagged some of the Imps near the start, as well as the Shotgun Guy near the SSG secret, the Imp near the yellow key, and the Cacodemon near the automap, since it felt like they were all getting activated too early, and they felt better being in ambush mode. (This is quite a distance for the Cacodemon to be getting triggered, as well - around no less than FOUR turns, making it even more ridiculous.)
  • Unstuck the imp near the lift you exit from after getting the yellow key - the original had its bounding box too close to the lift, so it could never really move or attack you.
  • Moved the shotgun shells (near where the secret that leads to where the Chaingun is) ever so slightly because the shells looked like they were just floating in midair due to the altered collision compared to the PC version, and it looked incredibly silly.
  • Fixed vertices in the marble room before the Soulsphere chamber - the "corner" pillars had some misaligned vertices that threw the illusion of the candelabras + pillars casting the shadows out of whack on close inspection.
  • Hid the monster teleporter room (that triggers open upon entering the blue keycard room) off the automap - the PC original only had some of its lines tagged hidden. Mind you, the automap still forces this to show once collected.
  • Removal of little-used lamp type (Thing Type 2028 - Floor Lamp) and more used lamp type (Thing Type 86 - Short Techno Floor Lamp) with according retexturing for light textures to squeeze down the size a little bit further - otherwise, map would bomb out of memory if player was killed and player tried to reload.
  • Removed the slight extra "jutting out" piece of the "elbow" of the L-shaped walkway where you get the Red Key and the Mega Armor. If you lined yourself up just right in the corner and looked out towards the courtyard, you'd get a Point Overflow and crash the game every time.

KNOWN ISSUES

• I had wanted to merge the "pointless" split sectors on the catwalk in the small area between the main catwalk and the hall you go down for the Mega Armor, but for some reason, doing so will make the map overflow on vertices the second the courtyard gets revealed! This isn't really an issue per se, just me trying to reduce some "excess" vertices.
  • For some areas where there's narrow "strips" of texture around ceiling lights, for some reason it's occasionally slightly blocky/chunky if you view it at just the right angle, on both the ceiling and the floor. I'm not sure what causes this at all - it may well be an emulator bug. The effect is otherwise harmless.

COMMENTARY
What a challenge getting this map in. It's a pretty large map, so needless to say, the "usual" project limits were still over the limit of what the PS1's limited RAM could handle. Then, just when I thought I was all good to go, and was ready to do all the final sector lighting, I discovered that player death resulted in the map crapping out on trying to restart! Argh! Alas, the little lights are the casualties of squeezing it down further, resulting in me retexturing some walls to lights in order to make up for this... this map BARELY runs within the PS1 RAM limits!

It's a bit of a miracle that I only had to chop as little as I did, however - the map is basically 98% identical in layout, linedefs, etc. to the original. Most of what changed was in the courtyard (on the catwalk), some door "pinching" to fit the 64x128 texture better (several were originally 96 wide), and an adjustment or two due to differences in PS1 linedef trigger behavior (most notably the automap secret could be triggered from its back, unlike the PC). Other than some additional detailing lines that I added, this is otherwise the original map - fairly impressive! I wonder why this didn't make the map cut...?

The major slowdown in the map is in two spots - the room that leads to the courtyard (with the walls that come down on the PC version), and to a lesser extent, the blue keycard room. The latter, not much could be done (and it wasn't too bad, so I let it be), but originally I felt I needed to do something for the former (and even later put up a post asking people what they felt I should try in the development topic - after restarting work on the map after already trying to simplify it).

I tried to solve the slowdown in the first room by making the wall that drops down non-moving (by simply disabling the triggers, so the walls were still technically two-sided) and simplifying the geometry (removing the curves in the stairs); however, testing seemed to result in no real change to framerates, and this, along with oversimplifying the catwalk and courtyard, is ultimately what made me reset back to a pristine "monsters removed until it runs" version of the map, and redo all of the work I'd done all over again.

As it was the only place that really clunked down framerate-wise (the map otherwise ran pretty excellently), I decided to leave it be. In the end, I just figured "Well, the player's not here a ton," and so just left it as the original, texture remapping aside, figuring I'd reapproach it later.

And then I ran it in Xebra and while there's slowdown, it's not nearly as bad on EPSXE! It's noticeably slower, but Xebra at its slowest is far faster than ESPXE ever ran this area - the framerate isn't nearly the clunkfest it is on EPSXE, and since Xebra is the more accurate emulator, that carries some weight.

Then later on when I gave it a spin via RetroArch, I found that its BeetlePSX core came pretty close to EPSXE... but the Hardware renderer (via Vulkan) brought it up closer to Xebra speeds. So as it turned out, there's a combination of emulator funkiness as well as the natural slowdown from the emulated CPU. So in the end, I split the difference - kept the geometry the same, but removed the wall dropping down. The good news is that you, the player, will no longer get pecked at by the enemies up in the higher level of the Courtyard. The bad news is that you'll now have to either go out in the Courtyard proper, or peck them from the door, in order to off them - the former opening you up to more damage, the latter being safer but leading to more wasted ammo, just like on the PC version.

The things I go through for you guys... :)

FREE FLATS: 0
FREE TEXTURE SPACE: 0

TNT Evilution MAP06: Open Season

Spoiler

MAJOR CHANGELOG:

• This map had a crapload of changes in order to avoid texture stretching issues.
    • Massive height changes due to the heights in the pump room.
      • Almost every single room, catwalk, and area including and immediately adjacent to it had to have heights sharply reduced in order to avoid texture stretching issues.
  • Removed Mancubi, Revenants, Lost Souls, Arachnotrons, and Archvile/Bloody Hook (of course), replaced with monsters of roughly equal HP value, due to low amounts of usage and/or to conserve memory.
    • The single Mancubus in the map near the Blue Armor was replaced by a pair of Nightmare Spectres. Both encounters represent 600 HP. As in the original, they only appear on Ultra-Violence.
      • The Nightmare Spectres have been moved to ambush players better.
    • Revenants in the Rocket launcher room and the maze room before it were also replaced by Nightmare Spectres. As in the original, the one in the maze and one in the Rocket Launcher room only appear on Ultra-Violence; the second in the Rocket Launcher room appears on Hurt Me Plenty as well.
      • The Rocket Launcher Nightmare Spectres have been moved to the interior corners of the room and deaf-flagged in order to ambush players, and generally dissuade them from exiting without bypassing them.
    • Lost Souls removed outright. The two that spawn on Hurt Me Plenty have been replaced by a pair of Nightmare Imps; on Ultra-Violence where there's five total, a Hell Knight spawns in their place.
      • For the Hell Knight, it's a perfect replacement - 500 HP for both encounters.
      • For the Nightmare Imps, this is actually a slightly more difficult encounter (240 HP vs. 200 for the two Lost Souls), but the difference is mostly negligible. (Note: This was written before I knew Lost Souls on PSX Doom are 60 HP, not 100 HP. As a result, this encounter is actually 2x as difficult - a more proper replacement would be a single Nightmare Imp if we're sticking by PSX health values, but this would still be approximately in line with the PC version's difficulty if kept. This may or may not change for Beta 4 depending on feedback.)
    • Arachnotron removed from the exit lift on I Am A Wimp/Not Too Rough, and the Arch-vile doesn't exist so a replacement was needed for Hurt Me Plenty/Ultra-Violence.
      • The Hell Knight once more steps into service on I Am A Wimp/Not Too Rough - same HP.
      • For Hurt Me Plenty/Ultra-Violence, the player contends with a Nightmare Cacodemon instead - especially devilish considering the dark textures and lighting of the area in general if you make the mistake of letting it get off that lift - and even the lift won't entirely save you at all times due to the glow effect going down to light level 10.
      • Slightly harder encounter than the Arch-vile in terms of HP (Arch-Vile has 700 vs. 800 of the Nightmare Cacodemon), but also made easier due to the easier combat mechanics needed to cope with a Cacodemon, so it balances out.
  • Slight adjustments to make Rocket Launcher and Red/Yellow Key grabbable.
    • PSX Doom seems to have different grab radius?
  • Adjustment of Rocket Launcher room (lowered height) to get rid of a texture flipping bug that was otherwise present on the wall of the "window" into it from the maze area.

MINOR CHANGELOG:

• Redid alignment of switches due to different switch type.
  • Lots of texture (re-)alignments.
  • Adjusted Red and Yellow Key switches from SR to S1 - since the doors they open stay open, there's no need to repeatedly trigger it really.
    • Though this is mooted by PSX Doom treating S1 as SR, apparently - at least when it comes to needing a key to activate the switch. (Non-key S1 switches trigger only once - as seen by the switch that activates the pumps.)
  • Upper Unpegged wall above the door that the Yellow Switch triggers in order to align it.
  • Lower Unpegged wall that triggers the lift near the Red Card so that its bottom aesthetically lines up well.
  • Altered Chainsaw room slightly to make it a little more symmetrical and to somewhat force the player to have to fight the Imps - even on Ultra-Violence you could rush past this room if you were quick and didn't fire.
  • Relocation of exit from the Chainsaw room to make the Chainsaw room more symmetrical (and retexturing a few places that should've been monitors... probably).
  • Altered the door near the exit (normally toggled by Red Keycard) to also have a D1 trigger so that in Deathmatch, a player spawning there isn't necessarily trapped.
  • Moved Cacodemon on UV somewhat in the pump room (to behind the pumps) and flipped his orientation.
    • Due to the height decrease in the pump room, he was getting tripped as soon as the player made his way there the first time (to collect the Blue Key) due to the 180 degree FOV monsters have without the height to block its' line of sight.
    • There's no way to preserve the original without increasing the room height - invisible pits do not work in PS1 Doom, nor do instant-moving sectors.
  • Much more carefully hid the sound tunnel that allows for the Cacodemon trap at the Yellow Keycard so it's much less noticeable if you know where the sound tunnel is. (That always irked me on the original map.)
  • Some extra linedefs to allow for better light gradation and some extra detailing.

KNOWN ISSUES

• There's some slight texture "bleed" at oblique angles inside the room where the Yellow Keycard switch is, for the computer monitors. There's not much I can do about this since it's either a renderer issue, or an emulation one. (Someone with real hardware will need to confirm this.) The effect is pretty harmless though.

COMMENTARY
This was actually the first map I started working on... but the last I finished. (Note: Of my three original maps: Dis/Hanger/Open Season, before I picked up Bloodsea Keep from GEC.) Go figure. On the flip side though, it also means that I could apply the lessons I learned from working on the other maps to it.

The bulk of the issue was avoiding texture stretching in the pump room - simply put, it's unavoidable without some drastic height shrinking and careful adjustments to not break map flow as much as possible. There's also the minor issue of that framerate drops down quite a bit if you're looking across the entire room, but again, only so much can be done about that too, short of making it so that the former catwalks don't look out into the room anymore - a move that would, in my opinion, be a change too far.

Admittedly, though, fixing up the pump room brought about its own set of problems:

• The Cacodemon that'd normally not notice you until you're on the catwalks themselves will notice you no matter what now due to the lowered heights without some trickery.
    • Neither illusio-pits (sorry, Paul Thrussell) nor instant-moving sectors work in PS1 Doom it seems, so about all I could do was move it.
  • The lift that brings you into the small imp corridor with the barrels, due to the room height shortening as well as needing to still be level with the catwalk, almost isn't even a lift anymore.
  • The teleport trap when you grab the yellow key is *WAY* harder now because the cacodemons from the far pads can float over with relative ease now, and attack you from a more oblique angle (though it also means they get stuck on the pumps less). Getting there ASAP with the Radiation Suit is now pretty much a must, because the odds of you having to deal with multiple Cacos now is much higher.

Oh well. I think that I did the best that I could, and I do like some of the other effects I got going (such as the pseudo-phased lighting for the Chaingunner hallway). Hopefully you enjoy the map.

And do try to finish it in under 5 1/2 minutes or so, since the music won't loop (one of only tracks to do so) and you'll be sitting pretty silent until then if you don't. GEC might fix this in the future.

FREE FLATS: 1
FREE TEXTURE SPACE: 64x128

The Master Levels: Bloodsea Keep

Spoiler

MAJOR CHANGES

• Heavy amount of sector merging and joining to reduce sector count (for memory footprint reasons); this consisted mainly of arches, stairs, jail cells, and windows.
    • One other case of this was the crusher rooms near the end; this reduced a pretty beefy amount of sector space.
  • Shrinking down of the height of exterior chunks of the map to prevent PSX stretched textures issue (and to prevent rendering bugs). This will present a (hopefully minimally noticeable!) vertically compressed version of the map. If I did my job right, you didn't notice until I told you!
    • Most of it was 270-290 Units high, just outside of the 256 Units limit before stretching kicks in.
    • Exit room was a particular bitch due the areas outside of the windows being 376 high, this mostly got taken care of via adjusting the heights of the throne and exit room.
  • A whole lot of careful shrinking/adjusting of the heights of the outer courtyard and some near-end rooms to prevent rendering bugs.
    • Some areas got shrunken down vertically, others got modified so as to "start" deeper into the floor so as to keep the same relative area, but bring it under a height limit of approximately 230 (which was necessary to keep the textures on the outer limit of the keep being able to tile nicely without looking fugly/running into the stretched texture problem).
      • Technical explanation: PSX Doom has, unfortunately, a renderer that will render flats if areas in an adjacent room have a higher ceiling than the area you are in. For example, if you did a loop around the keep, without this fix, you'd quickly see the ceilings of the rooms where the courtyard shotgun guys (and former Zombiemen) are, because the outer courtyard has a height of around 230, but the rooms inside there originally had a height of 256, and it'd be hugely obvious near the exit area due to the crushers in that room.
  • Massively shrunk down throne and exit room heights - throne room was a whopping 512 high, exit room was 376 high. Needless to say, this is no está bien in PSX Doom land.
    •  For the throne room, this originally necessitated getting rid of the staircase - the throne room and exit room are on roughly the same height, and due to the exterior of the map, the limit of the exit room's height can only be about 256 high. Ironically enough, the staircase was later re-added back in when the room before it (with the crushers) was sunken down, allowing for the staircase to return to keep that while still having the room at its new (shrunken) height.
  • Various additions/replacements of monsters. Details as follows:
    •  A significant discovery that PSX Lost Souls are weaker than PC Lost Souls (60 vs. 100 HP on PC) led to a significant addition of Lost Souls in the map. If you hated them before, you're *REALLY* going to hate them now.
      • I Am A Wimp/Not Too Rough: 15 -> 25
        1. -772, -896
        2. -816, -80
        3. -528, -928
        4. 400, -928
        5. 0, 2592
        6. -160, 2440
        7. 160, 2440
        8. 864, 416
        9. -64, 2304
        10. 64, 2304
      • Hurt Me Plenty: 17 -> 28
        • All of the above, plus:
        1. 698, 2138
        2. -160, 1280
        3. 416, -2272
      • Ultra-Violence: 24 -> 40
        • All of the above, plus:
        1. -648, -1888
        2. -648, -1696
        3. -648, -1504
        4. 688, -1888
        5. 688, -1696
        6. 688, -1504
        7. 688, -1312
        8. 688, -1120
        9. -120, -1056
        10. 792, 608
        11. -932, -324
        12. -932, -188
      • Note: This does *NOT* count Lost souls that replaced other enemies (for one Hell Knight and most of the Pain Elementals). Those cases are detailed in the below replacement section.
    • Remove Zombieman, Chaingunner, Mancubus, Revenant, Cacodemons, Pain Elementals, Barons of Hell, Hell Knights, and (of course) Arch-vile for memory reasons.
      • Zombiemen naturally got replaced by Shotgun Guys.
        • This will be barely noticeable on harder difficulties - Hurt Me Plenty had 7, Ultra-Violence had 5 - but it will be keenly felt on I Am A Wimp and Not Too Rough where there's suddenly 19 Shotgun Guys instead of 6 thanks to 13 Ex-Zombiemen.
        • This caused a net gain of +130 HP, 10 per Zombieman. Running total: +130 HP
      • Chaingunner was replaced with a Nightmare Shotgun Guy. There's tons of them around this area, so the Chaingunner felt totally superfluous.
        • This caused a net loss of -10 HP. Running total: +120 HP.
      • Mancubus was replaced with 5x Nightmare Imps.
        • Both groups provide 600 HP, so no net change.
      • Revenant was replaced with a pair of Demons.
        • I'd wanted to keep the Revenant so I could use a Nightmare Revenant to replace the Arch-vile and keep the fight somewhat similar in both HP and combat type, but still bombed out on memory.
        • Both groups provide 300 HP, so no net change.
      • Cacodemons were replaced with Pain Elementals (which then themselves got deleted), and in turn those got replaced by bands of the basic mooks.
        1. Cacodemon #1 (Thing 81, All Difficulties): Replaced by 1x Nightmare Spectre.
        2. Cacodemon #2 (Thing 227, All Difficulties): Replaced by 3x Nightmare Lost Souls.
        3. Cacodemon #3 (Thing 392, Easy): Replaced by 2x Demons, 1x Shotgun Guy, 1x Lost Soul.
        • These changes replace 1100/1200 HP. Running total: +20 HP.
      • Pain Elementals were replaced with generous amounts of Lost Souls generally, with the occasional other mooks for good measure.
        1. Pain Elemental #1 (Thing 79, Hard): Replaced by 3x Nightmare Lost Soul.
        2. Pain Elemental #2 (Thing 110, Medium/Hard): Replaced by 1x Nightmare Spectre, 1x Nightmare Lost Soul.
        3. Pain Elemental #3 (Thing 324, Medium/Hard): Replaced by 3x Nightmare Lost Soul.
        4. Pain Elemental #4 (Thing 367, Hard): Replaced by 6x Lost Soul.
        • These changes replace 1500/1600 HP. Running total: -80 HP.
      • Barons of Hell were replaced with Nightmare Hell Knights (which then themselves got deleted along with the Hell Knights), so they were replaced generally with beefy sets of basic mooks.
        1. Baron of Hell #1 (Thing 8, Medium/Hard)): Replaced by 3x Nightmare Imps, 2x Nightmare Spectres.
        2. Baron of Hell #1 (Thing 373, Medium/Hard)): Replaced by 3x Nightmare Imps, 2x Nightmare Spectres.
        • These changes replace 1920/2000 HP. Running total: -160 HP.
      • Hell Knights were replaced with somewhat beefy sets of basic mooks.
        1. Hell Knights #1-4 (Things 46-49, Medium/Hard): Replaced by 3x Nightmare Imps, 1x Spectre.
        2. Hell Knight #5 (Thing 129, Easy): Replaced by 4x Nightmare Imps (three of which are borrowed from replacing Baron of Hell #1).
        3. Hell Knight #6 (Thing 241, Medium/Hard): Replaced by 4x Nightmare Lost Souls.
        • These changes all balance perfectly and replace 3000/3000 HP, so no net change.
      • Arch-vile was replaced with a pair of Nightmare Spectres.
        • These changes replace 600/700 HP. Running total: -260 HP.
      • To make up the deficit, nine Shotgun Guys were turned Nightmare, in the initial atrium and jail areas. This makes up for the HP deficit from all the other replacements - 260 HP down + 270 gained by nine Nightmare Shotgun Guys results in a gain of +10 HP against the player.
        • End result of all these changes: The map is thus (very technically) slightly harder by 10 HP.
  • Secret area that formerly relied on killing the Mancubus is now activated by a tripwire.
    • If you go far enough into the area that you could grab the Rocket Launcher, it should activate.
    • The original plan was to have a Baron of Hell replace the Mancubus, but the map bombed out time after time even with cutting four types of monsters. The Barons became the fifth casualty, and Hell Knights are too numerous in the map to trip the secret.
    • Unlike in the original map, the Baron was to be active on all difficulties, since if you were playing on the lowest two difficulties, the lack of a Mancubus meant that you could never activate the secret.
    • I'd debated sweetening the secret (by turning it into a Plasma Rifle + small Plasma Cells and moving the Chaingun to the foyer by deactivating Thing 182's Multiplayer flag), but you've still got a Rocket Launcher with tons of rockets right near the (eventually cut) Baron, which actually makes it only a mildly dangerous fight. The Mancubus is actually more dangerous than the Baron in that sense.
      • The group of Imps that replaced it are arguably more dangerous than the Mancubus, since there's more of them, and I made them clog up the whole area so you can't just run and get the Rocket Launcher plus the rockets.
    • There's only a few monster types that can trigger a sector action upon death in PSX Doom: Mancubus, Arachnotron, Spider Mastermind, Hell Knight, Cyberdemon, Baron of Hell.
      • Arachnotrons can only raise a sector by 24 units = useless.
      • Cyberdemons can open a door = useless (and the Cyberdemon is a memory hog).
      • The Spider Mastermind can lower the floor, but is an even worse memory hog than the Cyberdemon.
      • Hell Knights can lower the floor, but there's multiple in the map (especially since I was forced to add two more to replace Barons), meaning even though they'd be the ideal choice from a memory POV (via coming at no extra cost), they're actually least ideal in terms of a functional secret.
      • Therefore, the Baron was selected, as it consumes half the memory of the Mancubus, while also not relying on the player practically finishing the map to open the secret (unlike the Hell Knights). Unfortunately the game still was not happy with the memory left - scuttling this plan entirely.
    • Still trippable from the Switch on the inside as well, for the insane people who try to play this map via link cable.

MINOR CHANGES

• To squeeze out every drop of RAM that I could get while still desperately trying to keep Lost Souls on the map, a bunch of decorations wound up getting the axe and replaced with similar decorations.
    • Thing Types 35 (Candleabra), 45 (Tall Green firestick), 56 (Short Green firestick) and 57 (Short Red firestick) were replaced by Thing Type 46 (Tall red firestick).
    • Thing Type 31 (Short Green pillar) was replaced with Thing Type 30 (Tall Green pillar).
    • Thing Types 32 (Tall Red pillar) and 33 (Short Red pillar) were replaced with Thing Type 37 (Short Red pillar (skull)).
    • Thing Type 26 (Twitching impaled human) was replaced with Thing Type 25 (Impaled human).
    • Thing Type 27 (Skull on a pole) was replaced with Thing Type 28 (5 Skulls shish-kebab).
    • Due to the removal of Zombiemen, Thing Type 18 (Dead former human) was replaced with Thing Type 19 (Dead former sergeant).
    • Thing Types 24 (Pool of blood and bones) and 81 (Pool of brains) were replaced with Thing Type 79 (Pool of blood and guts).
    • Thing Types 49 (Hanging victim twitching (blocking), 50 (Hanging victim, arms out (blocking)) and 78 (Hanging torso, brain removed) were replaced by Thing Type 76 (Hanging torso, open skull).
    • Thing Type 52 (Hanging pair of legs (blocking)) was replaced with Thing Type 53 (Hanging leg (blocking)) since it looks better with the above change, plus is another precious slice of RAM saved.
  • Various alterations of Thing initial spawn aim directions. Some of these got documented, some not.
  • Various texture peggings to the exterior and interior of the Keep in order to deal with texture alignment that would otherwise be atrocious on the PSX.
  • Removed Linedefs 1904, 1905, and 1906 from the "wings" of the fountain courtyard - they kept the monsters penned up there via having monster blocking, but at the same time, this also made the (Ex-)Zombiemen and Shotgun Guys practically sitting ducks when you got up to those wings due to being unable to move very far, and not able to chase you. (I doubt most people will notice this change in practice - until monsters come at you from angles they couldn't before!)
  • Removed Impassible flags on all the little window ledges around the courtyard - the monsters won't drop off them anyway, but it felt stupid that you, the player, couldn't drop off.
    • Also makes the Red Skull Key less of a pain in the ass to get.
  • Removed Linedef 1093's action by merging it and Linedef 1092 with Linedef 845. The sole purpose of this switch was to lower a floor in a nearby room using action #23 (S1 Floor Lower to Lowest Floor), but it looked ugly to me by being an "already" lava flow-like texture when the pool of lava hadn't even touched it - kind of tipping you off that this piece would lower. While that may or may not have been intentional, it looked ugly to me - and it's much nicer to have it be a surprise.
    • To me it made more semantical sense to make use of Lindef 838 (the entry into the room), and set it with Action 37 (W1 Floor Lower to Lowest Floor (changes texture). This way the texture can start normal, become lava once the floor lowers, and everything doesn't look all that weird, AND I get rid of a switch texture that's only used once in the level. The Demon inhabiting this room can thus also still get to teleport and surprise the player.
      • On a related note, changed Linedef 1162's action from 39 (W1 Teleport) to 125 (W1 Teleport (monsters only) since the purpose of this line is to teleport the Spectre behind the player, but playing on a no monsters run would teleport the player under the old action.
    • There's also the little fact that switches effectively take up the same amount of texture space as a big door does, PER SWITCH TYPE, and I really needed to keep that to a minimum on a level that was already at a premium for texture space.
  • Linedefs 1732, 1733, 1738, and 1746 were all tagged with Action 48 (Scroll Texture Left). While this made fine use for the face texture in PC Doom, that texture is not in PSX Doom, and by this point, texture space was extremely critical. All lines got were replaced with a bloodfall texture, and the scrolling removed. (It doesn't look quite as good with an animated texture.)
  • Linedef 1067 used Action 130 (W1 Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor (fast)), which isn't in PSX Doom. I replaced it with Action 119 (W1 Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor). To compensate for the slowed speed, their depth was reduced by a bit less than half (any higher and they'd trigger before you set foot on the floor).
    • There's nothing I can do about the texture misalignment without making the demons flush to the main floor of this room, and even in the original map the textures were misaligned - probably a necessary evil compared to changing the trap.
  • Minor straightening of Linedef 576 and 1881's vertices, as the outer wall of the keep was slightly crooked compared to almost all other walls being pretty perfectly angular at 0/45/90.
  • Symmetry adjustment for the room behind the blue door (that leads to the yellow door), and splitting of it into various slices so that I could shrink heights for the last third of the level (to get around rendering bugs from the outside).
  • Replaced Spectres (Thing Type 58) with Demons with BlendMask1 flag set to mimic Spectres.
  • Replaced Dead Player (Thing Type 15) with Pools of Blood and Guts (Thing Type 79) - the dead player corpse isn't in PSX Doom.
  • Berserk Pack/Jail Cell Area: Turned all monsters to be "looking" in its general direction, instead of either left, right, or straight down.
  • Jail Cell Area: "Bars" simplified to prevent a point overflow.
  • Jail Cell Area: Texturing changes in the "star" meant that a few Tall Red firesticks (Thing Type 46) were added to replace the former wall textures that had torches on them due to the textures needing to be chopped for VRAM purposes.
  • Jail Cell Area: Moved gun-triggering linedef near the Soulsphere (Linedef 1667) to Linedef 1671 so that it actually could trigger as intended - it would not trigger properly due to either PSX Doom hit collision changes, or the alterations that got made to the decorations; even flipping the original linedef (as it had its back side to the player) failed to trigger it.
  • Thing 229 (Hanging body roasting by Soulsphere) moved downwards by 4 units to be actually centered in the "oven."
  • Changed Things 351, 352, and 353 to be blocking hanging bodies/legs so that it wouldn't look funny if the player decided to run right through them and out a window.
    • Also set them to appear on all difficulties - for some reason, these otherwise only spawned on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra-Violence.
  • To prevent catastrophic FPS drops if you look from near the end of the level to the beginning of it, changed the skull door linedefs from Actions 32/33 (D1 Door (Blue/Red) Open Stay) to Actions 26/28 (DR Door (Blue/Red) Open Wait Close).
    • One side of the Yellow Door is already Action 27 (DR Door (Yellow) Open Wait Close), and its other side is tripped by the switch near the "throne." Since there's no other way out without flipping that Switch, I've left it as triggering Action 61 (SR Door Open Stay).
  • Slightly dragged one vertex down on Linedef 18 to make both sides of the opening gate symmetrical.
    • Consequently, moved the left firestick up a bit and ever-so-slightly left to also have symmetry.
  • Dragged Thing 133 (Spectre) for better symmetry with its counterpart, Thing 132.
  • Adjusted Linedef 1635 to make the room symmetrical - compared to the other two corners, this one was a little bit smaller.
  • Yellow Skull Key moved from top of the bookshelf to the ledge near where you'd normally have to run over the bookshelves.
    • Reason: In PSX Doom, physics are actually tied to the framerate, and those who would play with the full 30 FPS framerate (via overclocking their emulator's emulated CPU) would actually find it virtually impossible to run across the bookshelves - Doomguy will fall before he would finish the run.
    • This way there's also no sort of silly "disable the overclock to grab the key" sorts of stuff.
  • Creation of new staircase in order to sink the room past the yellow key door down.
    • This also allowed for reinsertion of the staircase leading up to the throne, as well as (more importantly) allowing me to deal with the crushers being able to be seen outside in the lava if the room wasn't sunk.
    • This also necessitated moving Thing 375 (a teleport destination) further into the room, as the original was on what became the new staircase.
  • Switch on the back of the throne moved to the wall behind the wall that lifts up, instead of the back of the throne.
    • PSX Doom is far more generous in its collision detection when it comes to switches. You can often flip them with ease from the opposite side. For a good example, see my work on TNT MAP05: Hanger, where I had to literally remove the pressable linedef for the automap secret, or you'd be able to trigger it from the outside at any time, avoiding the timed switch puzzle completely.
    • Thickening the sides of the throne eventually prevented it from being triggered from the rear sides, but you could still run up into the throne's seat and press it even with it about as thick as it could be, and even an impassable line near the back of the seat still didn't prevent its pushing. Monsters teleport into the throne, so raising the seat to prevent the player from getting in and/or setting an impassable flag was not acceptable either. In the end, with time running out for Beta 3, the only choice that made sense and would guaranteed solve the problem was to make the door itself switchable, and so the throne was reverted to its original appearance (as now it no longer needed to block a side-press).
  • Corrected east side of "red carpet" hallway - was asymmetrical (one side was 48 wide, the other 52) so as to make tiling of textures not look like ass.
  • Thinned left side external windows at start of keep - east wing's was 16, west wing's was 20.
    • This way, could use the same SUPPORT3 texture as the other side and all the other windows, as opposed to needing to use the similar (but subtly different) METAL01.
  • Fixed the opening courtyard - pillar/lift on which the red skull key is was tagged with Sector Type 8 (Light Glow), but as its brightness was lower than the surrounding blood pool, it basically just stayed black.
    • Now properly pulses, but it's subtle.
  • Made rad suit properly raise by moving trigger lindefs if for some reason one of the Lost Souls pissed off the Nightmare Spectre alongside it.
    • As-was, if it got pissed off and you tried to trigger it, infinite height collision would kick in and you'd never be able to trigger it.
    • Solved by moving trigger lines to the very outside of the "boxes" that surround it - Doomguy should always be able to trigger these.

KNOWN ISSUES

• Visible "seams" in the outer area like in Dis (due to renderer difficulties).
    • This can't be fixed without reduction of the size of that area.

COMMENTARY
What a brutal and absolute *BITCH* to get to run. Even after chopping *EIGHT* enemy types, the map simply refused to load! Quite a few enemy types (and some decorations as well) had to be sacrificed to the RAM gods, and personally I did my best to try to make it as fun as I could while being limited to (very literally) four enemy types. There was some serious suffering that went into converting this map - I hope you all appreciate it!

Perhaps this is an artifact of the editor (DEU/DETH?) that Sverre used at the time, but there was so, so, so many pointless texture definitions for upper and lower textures that you'd simply never see. Seriously, take a look at the original map in an editor sometime - it's mind-boggling.

I found it amusingly funny that there's one wall within the library area of the keep that has possibly the largest texture offset I've ever seen in a Doom level - 27401! This is on Linedef 643 for those who care. My actual reaction when I saw it: "Whoa, what the fuck?" It was only noticed because it was the only texture that didn't "line up" with the new texture I'd picked so as to shave a little extra texture space. Naturally, I fixed this little error. (While I could've replaced it with the original texture - PANBORD2 in the PC game, WALL14A in PSX - I was by this point running quite low on texture room, and adding it in would've forced another chunk of texture space to be dedicated to 16-wide textures, which I didn't really have the room for.)

Speaking of texturing, texture choices for this map was a TOTAL BITCH!!! By the time I got down to about six 64x128 texture slots free, I still had to compromise on FORTY-SEVEN different textures to replace! Some of these were easy enough, but even after a first pass of getting rid of easy(-ish) replacements, I still had to figure out what to do for a dozen textures, including one area that literally is a major decorative piece (the vine area, on the PC version) that, if I used that texture, would leave zero room for any other textures whatsoever. The fire sky (which originally was picked by being fitting) literally became a life-saver by virtue of being tiny - there is no way I was going to fit reasonable texture variety into this map without it; hell, even WITH it, it sucked ass getting things in! I'm sorry if some switches seem totally out of place or whatever, but when a single switch texture takes up 1/12th of your entire texture space (same as a 128x128 door!), you have to make some real sacrifices - I even chopped a switch just to get rid of a texture! (Though it also helped that its function was silly... it's the "Linedef 1093" switch mentioned above.) It would've been great if this version of the game paged textures in and out like the N64 version... but then again, the N64 version also has 4 MB of RAM, meaning I wouldn't have to really make some tough texturing choices like I had to here!

The best part? I forgot that since I was using the animated textures (for the bloodfalls), that it would actually consume extra VRAM space. I spent a long time wondering why the red brick switches glitched out when flipped on, until I remembered that! A few extra chopped textures later, and all was well...ish.

I hope like hell this map just kills you over and over. And when it does, remember kids - that's but a FRACTION of my suffering.

FREE FLATS: 0
FREE TEXTURE SPACE: Are you kidding?!

Edited by Dark Pulse

41 minutes ago, OniriA said:

You could also use XEBRA emulator!

11 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

You could also use XEBRA emulator!

XEBRA can be fussy and hard to set up though (it's particularly fussy with controller mapping). But it is the most accurate.

RetroArch is probably the sweet spot for "good compatability" without "can be a pain to set up."

I've downloaded and installed RetroArch, now I'm wondering what the next step is in order to load the game.

I've selected the emulator for use (Beetle PSX, and there are 2 of ém in the selection menu), but I don't know what to do next.

Got an error message "missing SCPH-5501.Bin" while trying to load the beta cue, so I acquired that file and dropped it in the cores folder, although its apparently not the right folder since I still get the same error.

Anyone willing to guide me through this? I'd be greatly thankful.

3 minutes ago, OniriA said:

I've downloaded and installed RetroArch, now I'm wondering what the next step is in order to load the game.

I've selected the emulator for use (Beetle PSX, and there are 2 of ém in the selection menu), but I don't know what to do next.

Got an error message "missing SCPH-5501.Bin" while trying to load the beta cue, so I acquired that file and dropped it in the cores folder, although its apparently not the right folder since I still get the same error.

Anyone willing to guide me through this? I'd be greatly thankful.

You need to obtain the BIOS for the Playstation. Just Google them and place them in RetroArch's system folder.

For help setting up an emulator to run PSX games [in general], you should ask in the General or Everything else forum, and not in this specific thread as it's driving the thread off topic, please; once you do have a PSX emulator running, come back here.