Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

10 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

You need to obtain the BIOS for the Playstation. Just Google them and place them in RetroArch's system folder.

I've dropped the bios file in the systems folder, now when I go to load content and select the que file I just get a black screen.

The error message isn't there now since the bios file is in the system folder as u told, I just get a black screen upon loading the que file instead now. Any idea what i might be doing wrong?

8 minutes ago, OniriA said:

I've dropped the bios file in the systems folder, now when I go to load content and select the que file I just get a black screen.

The error message isn't there now since the bios file is in the system folder as u told, I just get a black screen upon loading the que file instead now. Any idea what i might be doing wrong?

Make sure it's named right and has the right checksum. Google up the LibRetro page for Beetle PSX; it'll tell you exactly what you need, and exactly what to name the file.

Of the highlights of Beta 3, it can be noted that now you can use the cheat "Warp to level" and go to secret levels. Previously, they were hidden. But now it’s up to find out which of them are secret and which are not, as well as where the secret exits are located.

Another important point is that it looks like the demo format was also decrypted and now it's possible to record and play demo in PSX Doom format. For example, if you go to the menu where you select difficulty and wait, after the “fiery” splash screen, later you can see someone playing at new maps (probably Erick or Gerardo).

Additional Master Levels maps in general, combine well and form a single episode in which we mainly visit night and underground levels.

The Icon of Sin level turned out qualitatively (albeit predictably), and these sounds are more suitable for the PSX version. But after the triggering death of IoS, is absolutely unclear where to go! I’ll tell you as a long-standing mapper that this is absolutely not intuitive, because:

1) Two corridors in opposite side. No one will notice them and no one knows about their existence.
2) It's too dark to see that corridors from afar. They even hidden at automap.
3) Barons who standing in these corridors only see player when close.
4) In result a lot of people just ragequit this map (I was suffered and thought that this map was simply impassable. How many missiles did I launch into it?)

I don’t want to offend GEC team, but I want to say that the design of maps is not just “pick and slap a few sectors”. In this case, it would be logical to make two corridors on the sides of IoS, in the player view and proximity. Or a little further down at nukage. But so that the player immediately sees that the IoS is killed, and he can move on.

P.S.

Later probably it would be logical to separate the NRFTL episode so that the player begins with pistol start, but not after Icon of Sin (how this are supposed to be). And choose this episode from the menu where we choose the difficulty. NRFTL is also have it's own ending story.

Edited by riderr3

51 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Of the highlights of Beta 3, it can be noted that now you can use the cheat "Warp to level" and go to secret levels. Previously, they were hidden. But now it’s up to find out which of them are secret and which are not, as well as where the secret exits are located.

Oh, good. Then that means I didn't miss any when typing up the updated level lists on the wiki.

Definitely need them to update the OP though, so I know who to credit. I was able to get a few from the thread, but I don't know who did a bunch of them (mostly the Master Level rejects).

1 hour ago, Kroc said:

For help setting up an emulator to run PSX games [in general], you should ask in the General or Everything else forum, and not in this specific thread as it's driving the thread off topic, please; once you do have a PSX emulator running, come back here.

IN.jpg

My apologies, I will continue playing.

I will take care of updating the list now, in addition, the secret maps can be selected at the warp level due to the last time in beta 2, some would have preferred to reach the secret maps through the cheat code. but for the final exit, the secret levels will not be on the list of warp levels.

27 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Definitely need them to update the OP though, so I know who to credit. I was able to get a few from the thread, but I don't know who did a bunch of them (mostly the Master Level rejects).

I only done Farside and Titan Anomaly, somewhere in april. Other ML additional maps converted by mr-around. 20 maps at ML episode and the same quantity for TNT. That is enough for them.

Edited by riderr3

8 minutes ago, OniriA said:

IN.jpg

My apologies, I will continue playing.

Don't forget to activeer Windows afterwards.

8 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

I will take care of updating the list now, in addition, the secret maps can be selected at the warp level due to the last time in beta 2, some would have preferred to reach the secret maps through the cheat code. but for the final exit, the secret levels will not be on the list of warp levels.

Thanks for updating the list, I'll take a look again when I get home (in about three hours) and update the wiki page as appropriate.

2 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

List updated in the OP, if I miss any other let me know ;)

What does the spinning “In Progress” sign next to SIGIL mean?
Why is there only one map. It seems like we're being teased.

If you plan to convert this episode, in this case I will later borrow map slots 4 and 9.

Another thing I'm noticing in the OP, some of the same tracks seem to occur too often between levels:

Level 20: Central Processing ->@mr-around   19. A Calm Panic Rises
Level 21: Administration Center ->@mr-around & @ riderr3   21. Breath of Horror
Level 22: Habitat -> @ riderr3   19. A Calm Panic Rises

Level 17: Compound -> @ riderr3   12. The Broken Ones
Level 18: Neurosphere -> @Dark Pulse   15. Digitized Pain
Level 19: NME -> @mr-around   27. Lurkers
Level 21: Slayer ->@mr-around   12. The Broken Ones

Level 25: The Temple of Darkness ->@mr-around   16. Corrupted Core
Level 26: Bunker -> @ marver0PS   12. The Broken Ones
Level 27: Anti-Christ ->@mr-around   17. Mind Massacre
Level 28: The Sewers -> @DeXiaZ   16. Corrupted Core

I respect all the mapper's tastes in what track they should use, but they in return should respect a little more variety so the same track occur not as often between maps like in the original PSX Doom: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PlayStation_Doom_music

Is it possible to create a cheat allowing music to be changed (like IDMUS)? I'm assuming it may not be, since the music is probably built into the level during compilation. Of course, if it is, we would be aware of the potential risk of crashing the level, depending on the track selected. :) 

PSP BETA 3 conversion, and updated links for the first two -- please update the links used in the OP & on the wiki!

* PSP Beta3: http://www.mediafire.com/file/s5wb1kcyu7epoie/PSP_PSXDOOM_MASTERED_BETA3.zip/file

* PSP Beta2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/oswf1mr64434mct/PSP_PSXDOOM_MASTERED_BETA2.zip/file

* PSP Beta1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2mwtq985gwp151x/PSP_PSXDOOM_MASTERED_BETA1.zip/file

Share and enjoy!

1 hour ago, Job said:

Is it possible to create a cheat allowing music to be changed (like IDMUS)? I'm assuming it may not be, since the music is probably built into the level during compilation.

People who converting the maps knows that this will broke the map. It's not only embedded, but also affect echo type and with different track monster sounds can disappear. It affect memory.

@Impboy4 I would even ask another question: if we had new samples and instructions, then we ourselves could create new tracks. These tracks consist of soundfont and samples. It turns out this situation: a bunch of new maps will appear in Beta 4, but another problem appears, because no matter what we do, the tracks will be repeated.

1 hour ago, Job said:

Is it possible to create a cheat allowing music to be changed (like IDMUS)? I'm assuming it may not be, since the music is probably built into the level during compilation. Of course, if it is, we would be aware of the potential risk of crashing the level, depending on the track selected. :) 

It is, so yeah, we can't just change it freely mid-level like that. Music also has its own SFX that have to get loaded, if they're not already in the standard SFX or the map's SFX.

What's probably more likely, eventually, would be custom music entirely (or possibly importing N64 Doom/Quake/Quake II samples/tracks for more variety). But that's a "down the line" deal for sure.

1 hour ago, Kroc said:

PSP BETA 3 conversion, and updated links for the first two -- please update the links used in the OP & on the wiki!

* PSP Beta3: http://www.mediafire.com/file/s5wb1kcyu7epoie/PSP_PSXDOOM_MASTERED_BETA3.zip/file

* PSP Beta2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/oswf1mr64434mct/PSP_PSXDOOM_MASTERED_BETA2.zip/file

* PSP Beta1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2mwtq985gwp151x/PSP_PSXDOOM_MASTERED_BETA1.zip/file

Share and enjoy!

Thanks! Added that link and updated the wiki page along with the proper author credits for the rest of the levels.

Just for asking, did you realize the music that played in Icon of Sin?

Also for the PAL version the demos are of the same levels but different playability.

4 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

Just for asking, did you realize the music that played in Icon of Sin?

Looks like it was 10th CDDA track applied with trigger but not from usual ones. CDDA music takes up a lot of megabytes on CD.

Something else I just noticed:

With this release, the GEC Master Edition project has more levels (94) than the original PSX Doom + PSX Final Doom games combined (89).

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

@Impboy4 I would even ask another question: if we had new samples and instructions, then we ourselves could create new tracks. These tracks consist of soundfont and samples. It turns out this situation: a bunch of new maps will appear in Beta 4, but another problem appears, because no matter what we do, the tracks will be repeated.

I'm all in for new tracks, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that with the tracks we currently have - try not to have the same track repeat so close like in the examples I've given (Especially the first example where Administration Center is sandwiched between two levels that use "A Calm Panic Rises")

We may want to consider re-allocating @Dragonsbrethren's remaining levels, as apparently he hasn't been on Doomworld in almost 2/3rds of a year.

I mean, I know I need to do at least one more, there's still a few more tagged for GEC, and there's the possibility of others picking up some of the Master Levels' authors' work, but if he hasn't been here since February and it's already October, we might be waiting a lot longer if something doesn't move on his maps.

YAY! Beta 3! :D

Also just as a suggestion, can I request the level order be changed a little? Phobos Mission Control isn't exactly and easy opening level and Forgotten Sewers, the level right after, has FAR too many enemies. (Seriously I think I killed nearly 200 and STILL didn't find all the keys @_@).

Edit:

Altar of Extraction... Is it MEANT to be a tortue fest? I've tested it on HNTR difficulty and I was getting my arse handed to me. Even after a good few tries I can't pass this level. Anyone got tips for it?

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

10 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

YAY! Beta 3! :D

Also just as a suggestion, can I request the level order be changed a little? Tech Gone Bad isn't exactly and easy opening level and Forgotten Sewers, the level right after, has FAR too many enemies. (Seriously I think I killed nearly 200 and STILL didn't find all the keys @_@).

That's Phobos Mission Control. I haven't begun Tech Gone Bad yet.

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Also just as a suggestion, can I request the level order be changed a little? Phobos Mission Control isn't exactly and easy opening level and Forgotten Sewers, the level right after, has FAR too many enemies. (Seriously I think I killed nearly 200 and STILL didn't find all the keys @_@).

Not for the difficulty, but I also thinking about it, because as example weapon progression is strange. SSG exist at first three maps, but it is Ultimate Doom where SSG should be very secret weapon. The first three levels will be good as secret maps.

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Altar of Extraction... Is it MEANT to be a tortue fest? I've tested it on HNTR difficulty and I was getting my arse handed to me. Even after a good few tries I can't pass this level. Anyone got tips for it?

It's because you play with keyboard, right? The proper way is playing with Sony gamepad and it is big difference. The map is mostly easy, just do not run far ahead, but explore the area. See my playthrough on Youtube on UV skill. Some Thy Flesh maps on PSX Doom even more harder.

11 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

We may want to consider re-allocating @Dragonsbrethren's remaining levels, as apparently he hasn't been on Doomworld in almost 2/3rds of a year.

I mean, I know I need to do at least one more, there's still a few more tagged for GEC, and there's the possibility of others picking up some of the Master Levels' authors' work, but if he hasn't been here since February and it's already October, we might be waiting a lot longer if something doesn't move on his maps.

I would also vote for the demolition of the extra wall in Well of Souls, because it heavily breaks progression. Solution have been proposed previously by mr-around.

Edited by riderr3

Guys! BE CAREFUL for MAP32 - Go2It! I noticed it's possible to trap yourself in one of the rooms, specifically the room with the sort of "C-Shape" pool of water on the floor. If you enter from either lift rather than the main door you can trap yourself inside and be stuck.

NVM I'm just an idiot... I forgot to texture the switch to get out ._.

52 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Guys! BE CAREFUL for MAP32 - Go2It! I noticed it's possible to trap yourself in one of the rooms, specifically the room with the sort of "C-Shape" pool of water on the floor. If you enter from either lift rather than the main door you can trap yourself inside and be stuck.

NVM I'm just an idiot... I forgot to texture the switch to get out ._.

tenor.gif

(In the future: Texture the switch FIRST before setting up the tags for the switch to function.)

Edited by Dark Pulse