Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

What about new sound samples in order, for example, to create new music tracks not from old samples, but from added ones. In this regard, so far I do not see any new information. What was the use of decoding the music format?

4 hours ago, Whiteysnakey said:

Would it be possible to add a chase cam mode to PS1 Doom? or is that a bridge too far in terms of modification?

That's like saying if SNES Doom can have split screen multiplayer - impossible.  If you want a chase cam, go use the DZDoom version of this port:

On 2/2/2020 at 8:02 AM, Lollie said:

This is specifically for PS1, so you will need a PS1 emulator! Emulators like Xebra, Mednafen, or ePSXe will do the trick — however, it is up to you to find PlayStation BIOS files in order for Mednafen or ePSXe to function. (Xebra doesn't need official bios files.)

Oh, what happened to the version that worked in PC?

Anyway i got "Master Edition [GEC]_V2" and works fine, the only problem is that with Doom 64 i cannto change OpenGL to Software, if i do it from the .ini everythign looks bad, what can i do?

@D88M3R

I will start a new project with DZoom soon and correct certain errors.

Hmm, don't program anything for the render software, since I didn't know that GZdoom 1.9 had it. sorry

@Erick194What is your stand on having two or more of the same music track being used in very close proximity between levels?

And to @Deⓧiaz@DynamiteKaitorn, you guys can do better on Chasm, Mill, and Mount Pain when it comes to monster types. For Chasm, you can have 3 more, and Mill/Mount Pain at least 1 more. @Deⓧiaz I can help with Mount Pain only if I get your permission. @DynamiteKaitorn I would also be willing to help with Chasm/Mill only if I get your permission as well. Having 3 or less monster types in a level makes it feel monotonous and boring and Riderr3 would agree.

1 hour ago, D88M3R said:

Oh, what happened to the version that worked in PC?

Different project! You're probably looking for this one.

6 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

And to @Deⓧiaz@DynamiteKaitorn, you guys can do better on Chasm, Mill, and Mount Pain when it comes to monster types. For Chasm, you can have 3 more, and Mill/Mount Pain at least 1 more. @Deⓧiaz I can help with Mount Pain only if I get your permission. @DynamiteKaitorn I would also be willing to help with Chasm/Mill only if I get your permission as well.

I just mentioned this earlier, about raising the bar of monster types - at least to 4, and this will not be very noticeable (except small boss maps). Lost souls can be added to these maps without unnecessary casualties and even more. The only thing is that the mountain should remain on Mount Pain, this was just the main goal. By the way, lost souls are counted in the level statistics, so there probably is no reason to place them far on the mountain (if they are gonna added to this map).

I also remind that not many arachnotrons appeared in the Final Doom maps of Master Edition (especially Plutonia part, where they appeared on Go 2 It).

9 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I also remind that not many arachnotrons appeared in the Final Doom maps of Master Edition (especially Plutonia part, where they appeared on Go 2 It).

I was able to get them in Tom Mustaine's MAP14 tribute map so that's +1. Though I really can't fault anyone for not using Arachnotrons cuz they are a memory hog after all and the majority Final Doom maps are big and/or complex. Mancubi are even more rare in Final Doom.

@Whiteysnakey yeah, that would be cool but we must keep in mind that those tracks are too heavy for the CD ROM storage... Not all of them would be available. 

We have already discussed this before... If there is a solution, we will let you know.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:29 PM, Whiteysnakey said:

I'm sure someone has probably mentioned this in the past but including the 20th Anniversary Edition of the soundtrack would be pretty cool https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack-20th-anniversary-extended-edition

"This version features extended arrangements of all the level tracks, new versions of the Main Theme and Finale tracks and 8 all new bonus tracks created using the same techniques used 20 years ago. This album is over 5 1/2 hours of music!"

I applaud your enthusiasm and ambition but there's some things you need to know about PSX Doom.

All of the ambient music in PSX Doom has a MIDI-like, tracked if you will, music set. The samples are low quality, and small in file size, and are played through a series of notes and such. It's not like the Redbook CD audio which is streamed music files which are all pre-recorded and are all one track. It's hard for me to explain all of this lol

Is the engine mainly the same or is it optimised in any way?

I mean, is there an advantage to rebuilding the ISO to play the original mapsets? I am playing through PSX Doom on my Playstation Classic with the pcsx-rearmed emulator and it would be cool if there was a speed-up.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:39 PM, VGA said:

Is the engine mainly the same or is it optimised in any way?

I mean, is there an advantage to rebuilding the ISO to play the original mapsets? I am playing through PSX Doom on my Playstation Classic with the pcsx-rearmed emulator and it would be cool if there was a speed-up.

Pretty sure it's a straight RE. Actual engine tweaking/enhancement will probably be up for someone else to tackle.

Besides, while you could rip out the renderer and do a faster one, it definitely means you'd be dealing with things like affine texture swim. This is the PSX, remember - there is no hardware perspective correction, and any such stuff must be done in software.

Of course, emulators can cheat (see RetroArch's PGXP options for its BeetlePSX core), but actual hardware is another beast entirely.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:05 PM, Gerardo194 said:

It was supposed we were going to put the cut maps in with the original ones but people participating in the project didn't like the idea...

Please only have the cut/new maps. I am going through the original PSX Doom now and will probably play PSX Final Doom next ... and I don't want Master Edition to be a huge clusterfuck of new and old maps and I don't want to be cheat-warping around trying to play just the new maps ...

By the way, I finished the PSX Ultimate Doom episode and it gave me a password for MAP31, which is the first map of Doom 2! So, if I want, I can continue with all my weapons! Weird! Will that be happening with Master Edition, too?

3 hours ago, VGA said:

Please only have the cut/new maps. I am going through the original PSX Doom now and will probably play PSX Final Doom next ... and I don't want Master Edition to be a huge clusterfuck of new and old maps and I don't want to be cheat-warping around trying to play just the new maps ...

Wasn't the whole point of Master Edition to be more like an "uncut" version of PSX Doom? If so, cutting out all the original maps doesn't really make sense.

Maybe a "New Maps Only" mode could be added alongside the "Ultimate Doom" and "Doom II" option on the main menu? That would be more sensible — assuming the main menu can support a feature like this. I'm not sure how that option functions.

Nothing is cut, there is PSX Doom, then there is PSX Final Doom and then there is PSX Doom Master Edition with the new stuff, unseen on the PSX before.

From what I understand the whole toolset will be released eventually and anyone will be able to create some crazy definitive edition with 250 maps or whatever the total number will be.

just signed up to say T.H.A.N.K. Y.O.U. for all the effort! finally I can enjoy doom on my psp to the fullest. thank you thank you thank you this is so awesome I love it!

25 minutes ago, PSPGoFreax said:

just signed up to say T.H.A.N.K. Y.O.U. for all the effort! finally I can enjoy doom on my psp to the fullest. thank you thank you thank you this is so awesome I love it!

Hey, there is also PSP Legacy (that's an actual source port)

There are Quake source ports, too, I remember. Wolf3D, too. But I'm getting off-topic!

12 hours ago, VGA said:

Nothing is cut, there is PSX Doom, then there is PSX Final Doom and then there is PSX Doom Master Edition with the new stuff, unseen on the PSX before.

You said you "only" want the "cut/new" maps, and that you don't want Master Edition to be a mix of "new and old maps". The only way you'd get that outcome is by cutting the old maps out of Master Edition.

I'm only speaking as someone watching the project, I can't speak for any development decisions. But "only" having the new maps sounds like it would go against the original goal of the project:

On 6/17/2018 at 2:07 PM, Erick194 said:

This project has the purpose of incorporing the "missing" levels from the PC versions: (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, TNT and PLutonia) according to the PSX limitations.

I've always assumed that "incorporating the missing levels" meant "reintroducing the missing levels back into their original PC map slots." ie: Newly converted PC levels are mixed in with the original PSX Doom maps. Has the team had a discussion about this?

Also, just to be clear: I do not think that means Master Edition should be some super-mega continuous "episode" of PSX Doom with every single map in it. That would be hilariously overkill. I just think that the "Ultimate Doom" and "Doom II" sections should have their missing levels added back into their respective episodes.

Edited by Lollie

I think I saw earlier in the thread Gerardo mentioned they had a discussion and most team-members wanted to have just the new maps in Master Edition, like it is now, I hope it stays that way.

Anyway, the most important thing is ... how is the project going? :D

16 hours ago, VGA said:

Hey, there is also PSP Legacy (that's an actual source port)

There are Quake source ports, too, I remember. Wolf3D, too. But I'm getting off-topic!

Even more off topic but one would be amazed where older Legacy code has popped up... on some very unusual places and unusual platforms. Sooner or later ill get this written down. Its just that there is only 24 hours in each day. :P

On 3/4/2020 at 2:54 AM, VGA said:

By the way, I finished the PSX Ultimate Doom episode and it gave me a password for MAP31, which is the first map of Doom 2! So, if I want, I can continue with all my weapons! Weird! Will that be happening with Master Edition, too?

Its always been this way for me, never once have I played PSX Doom and started Doom 2 with nothing. Always had a full set of gear carried over from Threshold of Pain

On 3/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, VGA said:

Anyway, the most important thing is ... how is the project going? :D

Due to decryption of source code, Beta 4 may have an optimized exe and even possibly fewer slowdowns in most problem areas. As we can see, three IoS maps are not ready yet, because the GEC is now doing something else.

As for optimizations for the original PSX Doom and Final Doom: this can be solved, for example, by applying the Xdelta patch or something like that if the GEC supplies us with this patch or even better - providing a patching tools for Doom/Final Doom.

Edited by riderr3

@riderr3

Interesting, thanks. By the way, in the original PSX Doom is the SSG laggy for anyone else or is it just me?

It feels like it has extra empty frames before actually shooting, maybe it could be made more responsive with a tiny edit.

Sorry if I've asked this in years gone by: Is there a straightforward, fool-proof (and it'll need to be foolproof if I'm using it) guide to:

* Converting an existing PC map to run on the PlayStation?

* Building a new PSX map from scratch?

I'm especially interested in learning how to load popular user-made maps from PC Doom, so I can figure out how to make them run on PSX. 

NB: The OP still says "NEWS : PSP Beta 1 Release", when that should read "Beta 3"

On 3/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, MajorRawne said:

Sorry if I've asked this in years gone by: Is there a straightforward, fool-proof (and it'll need to be foolproof if I'm using it) guide to:

* Converting an existing PC map to run on the PlayStation?

* Building a new PSX map from scratch?

I'm especially interested in learning how to load popular user-made maps from PC Doom, so I can figure out how to make them run on PSX. 

There is some info in the OP. It seems a bit fiddly until you know what you are doing, then it seems straightforward enough. I haven't done anything with it, I was thinking about the 20years wad ...

By the way, how is the project going, people?