Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

Glad to see you reverse engineering PSX Hexen @Erick194. I poked around the port myself a while back and was surprised to see the LEAFS lump in all the WAD files on the disc. Definitely looking forward to hearing more about the inner workings of this port, since it seems to share a lot in common with PSX Doom.

Another fun fact about PSX Hexen: It was only programmed by one guy, Alex Syrichas (a.k.a. Siz), who worked for Probe Software in the mid to late 90s. Perhaps if Probe gave him an extra programmer or two to work with then the port might not have suffered as much. The game's own end credits are my source for this info for anyone interested, they start at 5:39 in the video below.

Edited by Mattfrie1

16 minutes ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Ok, I suppose, the next project would be PSX Hexen: Master Edition?

6 hours ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Ok, I suppose, the next project would be PSX Hexen: Master Edition?

Not much point; IIRC all the maps are there, just simplified. What's missing is mostly minor things - some music tracks, XDeath for the enemies that have them, etc.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Not much point; IIRC all the maps are there, just simplified. What's missing is mostly minor things - some music tracks, XDeath for the enemies that have them, etc.

IIRC there are some missing sprite rotations, also it lacking maps from Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (but it's also like the case with NRFTL or SIGIL). And maybe more what still not discovered.

13 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

IIRC there are some missing sprite rotations, also it lacking maps from Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (but it's also like the case with NRFTL or SIGIL). And maybe more what still not discovered.

Sprite rotations aren't something that'd need new maps though. However, good point on Deathkings.

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Not much point

Just joking. I was only interested in restoring XDeath animations, but I suppose that's a hard task due to memory limits.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Mattfrie1 said:

Glad to see you reverse engineering PSX Hexen

Another fun fact about PSX Hexen

Just like in the 32X Port of Doom. There are no sprite rotations.

So now that tall wall textures render correctly, what does that mean for the currently completed maps? I'm assuming that most of them will just keep the changes that were made to accommodate the previous rendering behavior. (altered sector heights, extra sectors created to fake the appearance of taller walls)

49 minutes ago, Lollie said:

So now that tall wall textures render correctly, what does that mean for the currently completed maps? I'm assuming that most of them will just keep the changes that were made to accommodate the previous rendering behavior. (altered sector heights, extra sectors created to fake the appearance of taller walls)

That's unfortunate, but this is true. Anyway, in gameplay/design meaning only Black Tower needs this patch. But anyway, I was the first mapper of this map (for PSX, of course), I've made this long tower like the original, it was just lagging with stratching texture. So I did the right thing even before GEC discovered such opportunity to fix texture length.

Plus, I think, in other maps people can feel the "atmosphere" of claustrophobic heights like they feel this in the original PSX/Jaguar converted maps

7 hours ago, Lollie said:

AFAIK, that will be up to the converter if they want to implement a fixed version of the map or not.

24 minutes ago, tzen said:

Any way to get brightmaps on this? Thanks.

No chance, the PSX engine doesn't support it.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

No chance, the PSX engine doesn't support it.

I assume that people again confuse GEC GZDoom source port with this topic. And port it still has not been renamed from Master Edition to DZDoom as previously planned.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

I assume that people again confuse GEC GZDoom source port with this topic. And port it still has not been renamed from Master Edition to DZDoom as previously planned.

I assumed that as well, hence me specifically mentioning the PSX engine.

Word.

Thanks and props for all the work that's gone in to this. Truly incredible. GEC GZDoom is also beyond amazing. <3

21 minutes ago, tzen said:

Word.

Thanks and props for all the work that's gone in to this. Truly incredible. GEC GZDoom is also beyond amazing. <3

It might be possible in GEC GZDoom, yeah, but this is for the version that runs on actual Playstations, and yeah, it isn't possible there.

At the risk of being THAT GUY, it is my birthday today, and I would be ecstatic to have the next build as a gift. 

j/k

not j/k

2 minutes ago, Job said:

At the risk of being THAT GUY, it is my birthday today, and I would be ecstatic to have the next build as a gift. 

j/k

Reveal hidden contents

not j/k

Unless there's a surprise build I'm unaware of waiting in the wings, it ain't happening, especially as I'm still working on E1M8B (getting back to that after nearly a week solid of being put out with bad hay fever meaning I was rubbing crud out of my right eyeball).

Yeah, I figured reality and fantasy are miles apart, but a guy can dream. ;) 

Just now, Job said:

Yeah, I figured reality and fantasy are miles apart, but a guy can dream. ;) 

As I said elsewhere recently in this forum, "It's called a dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." :P

23 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

As I said elsewhere recently in this forum, "It's called a dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." :P

That gets a bona-fide lol from this guy. 

I'd "settle" for a PSX Final Doom Master Levels-Esque map with a playthrough video as well. Before you get too upset, I'm old as hell and need something to buoy my spirits.

1 hour ago, Job said:

That gets a bona-fide lol from this guy. 

I'd "settle" for a PSX Final Doom Master Levels-Esque map with a playthrough video as well. Before you get too upset, I'm old as hell and need something to buoy my spirits.

Ah, so you'd be the guy pressing X on this difficulty select, then?

POedDifficultyUS.png

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Ah, so you'd be the guy pressing X on this difficulty select, then?

POedDifficultyUS.png

Where does that screen come from?