Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

19 hours ago, Hydra Spectre said:

Why? What's the new update?

I mean the maps I worked on are still marked as unfinished/WIP (and most possibly the other authors felt free to finish their works of Sigil), also music tracks different

Just wait for @Erick194 or @Gerardo194 answer or at least some cheer up for us. Also more info can be found at GEC discord channel mentioned in @Gerardo194 profile.

P.S. In the OP it would also be nice to indicate with a special icon the maps that received the update recently, or something like that (if these updates are significant).

Interesting! I haven't looked around that much, but what's an estimation of when the final version will be released?

Probably when the last handful of maps get done. After that, depends on if there's enough mappers from the project to make a collection of exclusive maps.

@Dark Pulse Interesting! I hope they add some custom levels. maybe some Playstation-y levels based on some of the most popular PS exclusive games. Like puzzles from Uncharted, or the infuriating difficulty of Crash Bandicoot. maybe some Jungle levels like Tomb Raider (LoL DOOM Raider).

49 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@Dark Pulse Interesting! I hope they add some custom levels. maybe some Playstation-y levels based on some of the most popular PS exclusive games. Like puzzles from Uncharted, or the infuriating difficulty of Crash Bandicoot. maybe some Jungle levels like Tomb Raider (LoL DOOM Raider).

We are still limited by the engine, you know. If it'd be radically different from the usual Doom gameplay, suffice to say PSX Doom can't handle it.

I for one am excited for a future where Final Tomb Bandicoot: Drake's Fortune Master Edition exists

I am really impressed by how they even got the music in there, that rules.

Highly impressive work, but damn is that music crunched to hell. Wonder if they had to expand the ROM for that.

Also, goes without saying, but no Doom II monsters on Ultra-Violence. :P

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Also, goes without saying, but no Doom II monsters on Ultra-Violence. :P

I think it's not a big problem here, because GBA Doom now supports even Final Doom IWADs. So there are no problems with porting E1M1 to Map01 and add new monsters :p

3 hours ago, Deⓧiaz said:

I think it's not a big problem here, because GBA Doom now supports even Final Doom IWADs. So there are no problems with porting E1M1 to Map01 and add new monsters :p

So it's running on the GBA Doom, JagDoom-derived engine, not Southpaw that was used in Doom II?

That's really impressive. Do these maps with the PSX colored lighting exist for PrBoom? Would it be possible to port them to the PSX? I always wanted to see the Doom 1 maps with textures and geometry closer to the PC version with the colored lighting running on an actual PSX.

Heh. I gave the plutonia experiment for GBA a try but sadly it dies on MAP23 due to a memory allocation error.

Oddly, exiting MAP15 lead to The Omen despite using the secret exit. (than again if it couldn't handle tombstone, Go2It would brick the lights out of it. XD)

7 hours ago, tzen said:

I always wanted to see the Doom 1 maps with textures and geometry closer to the PC version with the colored lighting running on an actual PSX.

@CoTeCiO already made such thing but we wait for full tools where is possible to build whole custom mapset.

I just tried this out yesterday, I like it so far but can the audio levels be adjusted a little??  I noticed the monsters are waay to loud then the actual weapons you are using, especially when you get hit.  I lowered the in-game sound fx and same thing.

I tried the PSX DOOM vanilla version on ePSXe and there is a difference in audio balance.   If this can be fixed like the PSX doom in terms of audio in the future then this would be a masterpiece. 

It's already a masterpiece.. though for shure.  

3 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I just tried this out yesterday, I like it so far but can the audio levels be adjusted a little??  I noticed the monsters are waay to loud then the actual weapons you are using, especially when you get hit.  I lowered the in-game sound fx and same thing.

I tried the PSX DOOM vanilla version on ePSXe and there is a difference in audio balance.   If this can be fixed like the PSX doom in terms of audio in the future then this would be a masterpiece. 

It's already a masterpiece.. though for shure.  

Don't think that's possible.

Also, while I know a lot of people still use it, ePSXe isn't terribly accurate, and issues of the emulator's inaccuracy can't be ruled out as being the cause. (Its SPU emulation is actually rather notoriously poor - and that's just what happens to control all the sound.)

The more preferred emulators to use are either RetroArch's BeetlePSX cores (Hardware-accelerated is better if you got a system that can handle it), Mednafen (which is what BeetlePSX is based on), or XEBRA (most accurate of them all, but rather finicky).

I can't really run those emualtors, runs really slow here.

Beta 1 has the correct sound balance, I just tried it right now on ePSXe on max volume and the same with the vanilla psx doom.  Beta 3 just has the sounds at different levels no matter how homany times you adjust the game audio slider.

Hope I'm not missing tomany maps on beta 1.  Great project.. people who do this kind of effort care about the doom community. 

Edit:

I just tested Beta 2 right now as well... it has the same audio balance like the vanilla psx doom.  The imps are really loud on beta 3, the weapons are really low sounding.  The same when you get hit.  What happned to the sound in beta 3????

I'm actually missing alot of maps :(... did the code (  Right,Left,R2,R1,Triangle,L1,CIRCLE,X ) and there isn't much.

Later betas have more maps. The betas got released when significant amounts of maps got done. So in short, most of them are on Beta 3 only.

There'll be a Beta 4 when the remaining ones are finished.

As for the sound issue, this is the first I'm hearing of it. @Erick194 did anything change in terms of what you did to the sound code for Beta 3? Or is this an ePSXe sound bug somehow, as I'm suspecting might be the case?

On 8/7/2020 at 2:06 PM, vanilla_d00m said:

Edit:

I just tested Beta 2 right now as well... it has the same audio balance like the vanilla psx doom.  The imps are really loud on beta 3, the weapons are really low sounding.  The same when you get hit.  What happned to the sound in beta 3????

I'm actually missing alot of maps :(... did the code (  Right,Left,R2,R1,Triangle,L1,CIRCLE,X ) and there isn't much.

Personally I did not notice that in different beta versions there is a significant difference in sound volumes (neither on hardware, nor on an emulator).

But I do not exclude that there is a difference, maybe I just do not hear well, or did not notice. Maybe more people can confirm this.

As for maps, they separated on episodes in first menu. The Final Doom ones exactly. Still some maps is not finished.

I am more looking forward to the possibility of a creating full mapset and updated tools. In the end, the sources have already been uploaded to github.

Is there any kind of analysis of the PSX Doom engine available? Preferably a side by side comparison to the original game engine?

Anyone who's part of the conversion project want to help add Jim Flynn's Enigma episode and/or Tim Willits Raven series to the Master Levels? I've started Enigma today, will be a solo effort unless others are interested in map spot.

Enigma Episode:
--------------------
Mt. Doom - Completed - The Slow Demonic Pulse - Impboy4
Rings - Completed - Retribution Dawns - Impboy4
Twisted - WIP - N/A - Impboy4
Gulch - WIP - N/A - Impboy4
The Wheel - WIP - N/A - Impboy4
Triplet - Not Started - N/A
Wack - Not Started - N/A
The Tower - Not Started - N/A
The Citadel - Not Started - N/A

Edited by Impboy4