Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

Actually, three of @Shokan Kong videos must not be on this thread but on PsyDoom. Btw that's interesting seeing a Doom Game in Russian Language. I loved the PSX Duke Nukem music on one of the tutorials here.

Edited by Gerardo194

21 hours ago, Nikoka said:

An old tokusatsu series, known only to connoisseurs: Kikaider.
If you then listen to the opening theme song... unforgettable!🤩

Thank you! I like Tokusatsu genre very much. I will listen to the opening right now.

Okay, I have just watched the videos and this is indeed an awesome job everyone has done for both Master Edition PSXDoom and PsyDoom. Can't wait for Beta 4.

Hi everyone.😊
Has anyone already used this eboot on a PSP? 
Surely a cfw will be necessary.
But, does it work with the latest version of Pops or do you have to use, via Popsloader, a previous version?🤔
Thanks.

1 hour ago, Nikoka said:

Hi everyone.😊
Has anyone already used this eboot on a PSP? 
Surely a cfw will be necessary.
But, does it work with the latest version of Pops or do you have to use, via Popsloader, a previous version?🤔
Thanks.

It should work on popsloader 6.60 and why not try it yourself (recommended to use cdda enabler plugin to play the music in title/menu, also check out this crazy track at Plutonia level Go2it as well Icon of Sin)

10 hours ago, riderr3 said:

...why not try it yourself...

Actually I'd love to test it on my PSP 3004, but I don't think I'll find the time this weekend either.
And it's a pity that they haven't yet found the way, or the time, to fix the infamous Master Levels map02, to give the final touch to this fantastic project, already almost complete and perfect.😉

12 hours ago, Nikoka said:

And it's a pity that they haven't yet found the way, or the time, to fix the infamous Master Levels map02, to give the final touch to this fantastic project, already almost complete and perfect.😉

It's not really a case of having to find the way - fixing it would be a five-minute fix.

The catch is basically GEC would need to release a new build, and the tools that were in use by the mappers at that time were rather incomplete and before the reverse-engineering of the engine was finished, so there's more than a few ugly hacks to get it to work - for example, Beta 3 actually uses multiple executables because the original engine would crash if there were more than 64 maps; that's since been figured out and expanded so the next release (whether it's Beta 4 or the final) should be back to one EXE.

After they finished reversing the PSX and Final PSX engines, they moved on to reversing Doom 64. With that now done as well, on the PSX front, additions will be made (such as the Arch-Vile), enhancements will be added (the vertical texture stretching fix, two-color wall colors, various sector/line specials that were removed, Icon of Sin reinstated, maps shifted over to the higher-limits Final Doom engine, etc.), and then the mappers will be given new tools to work with, at which point I'm sure the map will be fixed for the next release.

That's when a new release would happen. Hopefully soon!

Edited by Dark Pulse

12 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

The catch is basically GEC would need to release a new build, and the tools that were in use by the mappers at that time were rather incomplete and before the reverse-engineering of the engine was finished, so there's more than a few ugly hacks to get it to work - for example, Beta 3 actually uses multiple executables because the original engine would crash if there were more than 64 maps; that's since been figured out and expanded so the next release (whether it's Beta 4 or the final) should be back to one EXE.

Thank you @Dark Pulse for your unexpected intervention, and for the wide and exhaustive explanation.😁
Now I know better the history of this project, and its possible future developments.

I will look forward to the resumption of this one and I will follow with passion and interest the progress of future work and possible innovations introduced ... provided that fate, in the meantime, does not play a trick on me and obscure the screen (of my life) forever ...🤣

Edited by Nikoka

I would like a clarification.
Could someone explain me why the eboot (GEC PSXDOOM MASTERED BETA 3) that should be compressed and therefore much smaller than the CD Image (PSXDOOM BETA 3), is even bigger? 🤔
Or maybe I misunderstood, and this last one is not the CD Image?
I would like to know before downloading the files.
Thank you. 😁

7 hours ago, Nikoka said:

I would like a clarification.
Could someone explain me why the eboot (GEC PSXDOOM MASTERED BETA 3) that should be compressed and therefore much smaller than the CD Image (PSXDOOM BETA 3), is even bigger? 🤔
Or maybe I misunderstood, and this last one is not the CD Image?
I would like to know before downloading the files.
Thank you. 😁

It's not bigger, it's smaller. The CD image for Beta 3 is 422 MB (BIN+CUE) when decompressed. The EBOOT is roughly about 390 MB when uncompressed.

Stick with the EBOOT version if you're going to play it on a PSP. Play the CD version if you're going to use a PS1 emulator, or if you're going to play it on an actual PS1.

Edited by Dark Pulse

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's not bigger, it's smaller. The CD image for Beta 3 is 422 MB (BIN+CUE) when decompressed. The EBOOT is roughly about 390 MB when uncompressed

Okay. My bad. I apologize for that, also because I keep bothering you. Good luck to you and your team.😀

The EBOOT does require CFW but should work on 6.21 or 6.60/1 and doesn't require any particular POPs version that I'm aware of. As riderr3 has said, use the cdda_enabler (included), or you could use an older version of POPs that still plays CDDA (v5?, v4)

Friends, so much has been said and done that you have me drooling with the desire to try it out...and so I forcibly carved out a free moment to give it a look.

And my first, quick impression is that, in fact, this version has something peculiar and distinctive (for example, compared to PSP Legacy) that I couldn't define and explain, that concerns the contrast between the shaded and lit areas; and in the general gothic and grotesque atmosphere that distinguishes it (more than the other versions).

However, one flaw I noticed, with regret and surprise, is that you can not move the player's view with the left joystick (which I considered obvious), which instead serves to rotate weapons.
Moreover there is no option to adjust contrast/gamma (perhaps not even present in the original psx Doom).

All in all, it's a nice and unexpected surprise, popped out of nowhere (at least for me), but more I can't say until I've tested it properly.

Thanks to the whole team.

Note: What nice custom animated logos!

P.S. I noticed now, late, that it is not possible to save the game position, but you use the very unpleasant, universally despised password system: this also damn long.

1624640501478.jpg

1624640524674.jpg

Edited by Nikoka

Considering the dark and gloomy atmosphere of PSX Doom, the increase of the gamma some may consider as heresy 😆

1 hour ago, Nikoka said:

However, one flaw I noticed, with regret and surprise, is that you can not move the player's view with the left joystick (which I considered obvious), which instead serves to rotate weapons.
Moreover there is no option to adjust contrast/gamma (perhaps not even present in the original psx Doom).

L2 and R2 are probably mapped to the stick; you can change what buttons are done for actions, but the D-Pad will always be moving and turning. (The game predates analog controls on PS1.)

You'd want L and R to be strafing anyway though. Gives you the most flexible control.

And yes, there is no option to adjust the contrast or gamma, since back then that would've been done on the TV set, not in the game.

1 hour ago, Nikoka said:

P.S. I noticed now, late, that it is not possible to save the game position, but you use the very unpleasant, universally despised password system: this also damn long.

The original only used password saves as well; it did not save to the memory card at all.

Furthermore, the game rounds values in passwords. If you finish a level with 103 health, for example, and load from a password, it will put you to 125 when you use the password.

That said, with a jailbroken PSP, you should have access to savestates in some form or another, yes?

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

L2 and R2 are probably mapped to the stick

So it's not really possible to set the player's view on the stick, to aim with the weapon up/down left/right? What a pity! ☹️

1 hour ago, Nikoka said:

So it's not really possible to set the player's view on the stick, to aim with the weapon up/down left/right? What a pity! ☹️

I mean, the game wasn't originally designed for PSP, and yes, it predates the era of analog controllers on the PS1 by about two years.

Plus, well, this is Doom. You never aim up or down in Doom, it's a fundamental limitation of the original renderer, and there is no "free aim" like Goldeneye if that's what you're thinking. You basically just line stuff up on the horizontal axis and shoot - Doom does account for things above/below the crosshair in a vertical sense, and will auto-aim towards those.

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

You never aim up or down in Doom, it's a fundamental limitation of the original renderer,

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. The existence of 'free aim' in some, newer limit removing engines misled me.🤣

In level 1 (Titan Manor) of the Master Levels, I am already stuck in a room, after having arrived there normally, between 2 blue doors and a yellow one (without having the keys).

How is it possible that no one noticed this issue?

Has this happened to anyone? Are your playtesters asleep?

Or is there perhaps a secret passage I can't find?

That's why I wanted to play the final, well tested product and not the beta version!😒

1624679483968.jpg

Edited by Nikoka

1 hour ago, Nikoka said:

In level 1 (Titan Manor) of the Master Levels, I am already stuck in a room, after having arrived there normally, between 2 blue doors and a yellow one (without having the keys).

How is it possible that no one noticed this issue?

Has this happened to anyone? Are your playtesters asleep?

That's why I wanted to play the final, well tested product and not the beta version!😒

1624679483968.jpg

It's beatable; the level that's mistakenly unbeatable is Trapped on Titan; that's the next level. You can skip past that one, or play it up until the point where you actually are trapped (IIRC, some stairs that are supposed to rise, don't.) Titan Manor is a tricky map to beat because how to get all the keys is basically a giant puzzle.

Also, be careful; "Are your playtesters asleep?" is rather insulting. The whole point of a beta is, indeed, to have playtesters outside the team. It's a beta - it might have bugs. Even the final version might have bugs. We try our best to catch them all, but we're only human.

Sadly, Doom Wiki is down as I type this, but a walkthrough (assuming that too much of it wasn't changed from the PC version) is as follows:

Spoiler

Yellow Key

From the start position enter the manor. Inside (A) walk upstairs to your right and open the door. A large arrow in the form of light points towards the north-western corner (B). Open the wall at that corner and use the lift. Walk forth on the long bridge and fall down on the sill of the window leading to the crate room (C). In that room if you walk near the blue door than an alcove containing enemies will open. Enter that alcove and press the skull switch to lower crate with yellow key.

Blue Key

In that crate room open the small wooden door. In the room with blue key (D) press the skull switch in the west to build the staircase about the blue key stand. Rise to the stand and press use on the baron depicted on the stand. This will build up the bridge that will help getting the key faster rather than walking from the southern and western side of this stand. Open the yellow door to get back to the entrance hall (A). Open the door to your right to get to the library (E). In the library go upstairs and open a secret wall in the fireplace. Press the switch there. This will lower a wall near the fireplace. Enter and go to the right and press the switch to temporarily lower the column in the middle in the entrance hall. While it is not risen just stand on it to temporarily lower that other stand with blue key. Through the yellow door run upstairs and take the blue key.

Red Key

Return to the crate room (C). Lower the crate and open the blue door. In the very end of the room (F) there is a switch to lower a platform behind you. Use this platform to get to the higher level of this room and to enter the teleporter in the outside courtyard. In the very narrow and close room squeeze through the tunnel to get to a bedroom (G). Walk upstairs and jump over the platform with the column. Walk around the column and press the button to lower another platform before you. Press the second switch on that column to lower an alcove with red key inside.

Exit

Return to the room with the red door (F). Open a computer panel near the door (unless you have turned on the lights the computer panel is marked by an arrow). Press the skull switch to lower the brick wall blocking way behind the red door.

On the other hand, if you're absolutely, positively convinced it is possible for the player to accidentally trap themself, can you record a video via emulating the PS1 version on your PC or something and upload it somewhere, or in lieu of that explain the exact steps you'd take in what order to get trapped inside the room?

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's beatable; the level that's mistakenly unbeatable is Trapped on Titan; that's the next level

You missed the point. I'm in that room and I can't get out. How is that possible? I couldn't find any secret passages! It has nothing to do with the fact that the next map is unpassable.

Just now, Nikoka said:

You missed the point. I'm in that room and I can't get out. How is that possible? I couldn't find any secret passages! It has nothing to do with the fact that the next map is unpassable.

So detail exactly how you got there and how you got trapped. Start from the beginning of the map and give us the step-by-step way you got into the room and found yourself trapped, because it shouldn't be possible to totally trap yourself.

59 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

because it shouldn't be possible to totally trap yourself.

That's all to prove! Now I have to go to office. I will replay it tonight and be able to answer more accurately.

I think I touched every area and corner of the room looking for a passage, but maybe It was me, the one still asleep: if that was an insult, i turn it against myself.🤣

This is a case of cultural/language barrier. In my nation 'asleep' is an emphatic expression, an exaggeration, but an ironic and sympathetic expression, not an offense: if this is how it turned out, I apologize.

Have a good day.😁

Edited by Nikoka

2 hours ago, Nikoka said:

That's why I wanted to play the final, well tested product and not the beta version!

Then why download the beta? Why not wait for the full release? The file clearly says it's a beta release.