Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

CHASM_V1_p6.png.d3343e24e7314ad5725bff7d501ac986.png

Okay after a bit of testing with the map I can confirm. This green armour is VERY MUCH NEEDED. Seriously I never realised how stingy map 24 was with armour since by this point I'd have a load of armour from Map 23.

CHASM_V1_p7.png.049ff1cd3abecf420202d0158db160e5.png

Also due to me having to shrink the height of the map considerably, I added this teleporter here to the top-most platform in the first Chasm room so that you can safely teleport back to the main area.

Well, on one hand normally of course you will not be playing the map from pistol start.

On the other hand, having a map be beatable from pistol start is very much a thing...

Part of it could also come down to an individual player's skill too, though. I actually owned and played the hell out of PS1 Doom (it was my primary Doom port after the SNES one until I got a PC), so I'm generally more experienced with it than others might be.

I guess what I'd say for now is that maybe it's best to leave it to playtesters, and see how they feel about it in terms of difficulty. (But of course, that will likely only come once there's public releases for the project, unless they sign up some private testers.)

Some of the levels are pretty tough to pistol start on PC, too, at least on UV, for me. I'd leave them alone unless they're a serious outlier in terms of difficulty.

Hello friends, here some images of Industrial Zone, Wolfenstein, and Grosse,
the one that really gave me problems to convert was Industrial Zone, since it is too high and generates too many textures problems, besides the SIDEDEFS lump exceeded 64Kb, which forced me to change the map completely, but I created a program which is responsible for finding sidedefs that are equal, with the purpose of reducing the size of the lump, which reduced from (72.22Kb) to (26.87Kb), which allowed me to create new lines with sectors to reduce the height of the map and the geometry of the original map was not lost, although in any case there were small changes,
the maps of Wolfenstein, and Grosse, are like a hybrid of Wolfenstein Atari Jaguar and Wolfenstein Pc, but the maps are more to the version of Atari Jaguar, in addition the graphics of the texture of Wolfenstein were reduced to (64x72), since the Original textures completely consumed the Vram of the texture space.

Here the images and if you want to use the program you can download it here Find_Side, it was very useful for me.

Spoiler

Industrial Zone

f3kz8fja7ab8xujzg.jpg
sxlt7xktlq579kqzg.jpg
9u2xl37pfi8pm9kzg.jpg
rdn4p2qwmywnx72zg.jpg
j96uyc1i1w84xqozg.jpg
saw16da0lisc9dpzg.jpg

Wolfenstein

nzbgr11l4gvlcndzg.jpg
yogyj7l9175z115zg.jpg
2dti9qif506wyh0zg.jpg
bjx6r5mqa40xlv1zg.jpg
9z4tol2urp74dwwzg.jpg

Grosse

izskv5pg5y1z859zg.jpg
bd7ijebgwazksg2zg.jpg
683dv31024och3tzg.jpg

ZokumBSP can pretty aggressively optimise the BSP tree (including combining sidedefs) -- is it even possible to use this on a PSX map?

If it were to generate the Lump LEAFS, which I think could work, but it's something we're not entirely sure about.

Nice tool you've created!

Wolfenstein and Grosse maps looks very nice. Your "Industrial Zone" very reminds mine for TLL, lol. Good job, though.

UPD: I was bored

Edited by DeXiaZ

^^^
Lacks of infamous hall of mirrors effect, which can't be done on PSX.

Find Side tool needs to be added to OP. With an explanation.

The hanging lamps on wolf map fit into the environment almost perfectly.

Also Industrial Zone is indeed heavy map. On GameBoy Advance both Chasm and Ind.Zone are divided into two maps each.

That's very interesting. I wonder if there is any other way to reduce map size without altering the geometry or deleting objects.

9 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

That's very interesting. I wonder if there is any other way to reduce map size without altering the geometry or deleting objects.

Myself, I've manually joining the neighbor sectors if they haves same parameters (brightness, heights, tags, e.t.c.).
But bear in mind that have some negative effects - sounds can be passed through if sound blocking lines is used there. Or monsters can be awakened in another room which share same sector.

I've used this trick when making Urania megawad (vanilla-format). So it can reduce size a bit.
Still, I join sectors where I can, simply for the reason it's easier to change a flat in multiple places once than multiple times, or have to keep remembering to select multiple sectors.
QRWIo6r.gif

Overall, linking sectors to other sectors outside the map has all kinds of uses. As example sync a whole room full of strobes so they would all lower to the same light level. Or teleporting swarms of monsters from remote rooms without using sound tunnels.
There might be times when you do not want sectors to be merged for visual reasons. Imagine having a corridor with a few lights and 2 or so of them flicker. If they have a different sector number they will flicker differently.
If the sector has a different purpose then it's not the same so you shouldn't join it.

One my friend which is not registered here wants to ask...

Ask Erick194 if he can make a PSX style version of the PC texture "WALL25_1" (The one with all the faces on it.) for the Master Edition hack.

Eh?

On 7/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, riderr3 said:

Lacks of infamous hall of mirrors effect, which can't be done on PSX.

That's sad, true.

Edited by DeXiaZ

In good theory if you can add it, you just have to finish filling the graph to (128x128)

Example:

wvvxxa255rv99xmzg.jpg

m3hd4otossdfm3hzg.jpg

Edited by Erick194 : Add test image in psxdoom game

Aaaaaalmost done with map 24. At this point I'm just cleaning up any mistakes/bugs I have with the maps.

Chasm_V2_P1.png.917ac4683088bcddb54bb0792138e635.pngChasm_V2_P2.png.ee222aa7ca1f42d70e2510e77186b840.png

This bug has been quite a pain to try and sort out and I'm having no luck so far... Any suggestions?

To mimic the look of the PS1 textures you can also run a sharpen filter on them. I haven’t found anything that makes the textures look exactly the same but Paint.net’s filter gets them close enough for me.

Only problem I have with new textures is how to convert them to PS1 format.

The image format of PSXDOOM is simple, it is really just an 8-bit image (256 colors), with a header of 8 bytes its structure is like this:

typedef struct
{
	short  xoffsey;
	short  yoffsey;
	short  width;
	short  height;
	unsigned char *data;
} texture_t;

What I do to convert images, is to save the image in RAW format:

z88wxe4kw90cbb4zg.jpg

Then I edit it with a hexadecimal editor, and I add the missing bytes corresponding to the header. XOffset = 0x0000, YOffets = 0x0000, Width = 0x8000, Height = 0x8000.

5ptmysfmylxjytszg.jpg

You also have to add the bytes of the header in the TEXTURE1 lump.

Edited by Erick194

3 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

HA HA HA HA HA

o5o9sIsl.jpg

@Salahmander2, DO YOU SEE THIS? I WAS RIGHT, IT WILL WORK ON THE REAL PSX.

Well I'll be damned. 😂😂😂

But jokes aside, how is the framerate though?

Edited by Salahmander2

43 minutes ago, Salahmander2 said:

But jokes aside, how is the framerate though?

Suprisingly good. I had to cut away all lost souls (they will drop framerate to zero) and also those "flesh mini-mountains", but I've added instead of them big antichrist crosses...looks scary...

About monsters on this map - Imps (+ Nightmare imps), Shotgunners, Revenants (+1 Nightmare Revenant instead of Arch-Vile). I wanted to save Cacos and Pinkies, but game refused them :|

All other things works very good.

Consider this as (almost) the final build of MAP24 (STILL got an annoying error with the map I SERIOUSLY can't seem to fix)

Chasm_V3_P1.png.80e333afe9cdd09b63a1b16b6924fabd.png

Getting a good view!

Chasm_V3_P2.png.a22b4ab04bef05e79be2f4f414e6bee7.png

JESUS That's a long distance! (And no, the game does NOT crash despite rendering this far away.)

Chasm_V3_P3.png.12cbddbd9baf8ef24f5617426da98bac.png

The two lifts (the right one is hard to see since I took the pic AFTER I went past the final walkway so the floor raised) help anyone clumsy enough to fall into the slime. Personally I find the lack of escape pretty sadistic.

Chasm_V3_P4.png.367f660aa87f1c7fc182ee92783ed649.png

B l u e R o o m I s B l u e . . .

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

STILL got an annoying error with the map I SERIOUSLY can't seem to fix

Which error you're getting? Sorry, I didn't checked your posts.

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

JESUS That's a long distance! (And no, the game does NOT crash despite rendering this far away.)

Look at MY MAP. Your far distance is nothing in compare with Mount Pain distance ;)

On 7/25/2018 at 2:02 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Chasm_V2_P1.png.917ac4683088bcddb54bb0792138e635.pngChasm_V2_P2.png.ee222aa7ca1f42d70e2510e77186b840.png

This bug has been quite a pain to try and sort out and I'm having no luck so far... Any suggestions?

I've not encountered such issue through all 8 maps which I've converted previously. That means you probably did something strange which caused this.

Try delete and check. As example remove most of areas except problem ones (make a backups before this). And then check did the bug disappears or not. If yes, later make further investigation and remove suspicious areas one by one. The issue can be even in this rooms, you just need to be more watchful.

As example when I converting Redemption, many screen errors are appeared. But I've removed most areas except first ones and and then continued step by step to see what is going on.

Edited by riderr3

Wow! These are looking great guys, keep it up! I realize that you haven't officially decided if you were going to include the Romero maps yet, but out of boredom, I have been working on converting his e1m4 map anyway. I think it's safe to say that the map is pretty much finished, I just need to do some more testing. It was a challenge because as you progress through the map, it opens up causing frame rate drops. The only somewhat drastic change was the computer room since it had the most slow-down. Here are some screens:

Spoiler

PSOGL2_006.jpg.6592acdb50be8b376c72c1bba65464dc.jpgPSOGL2_001.jpg.bfbfc782e4b3320eef1d5b2315fb9a76.jpgPSOGL2_002.jpg.687a5a1e25d8a03bd9adc14a61081d2d.jpgPSOGL2_003.jpg.9426e6d3fff1511f7c1578b3f5c62b1d.jpgPSOGL2_005.jpg.ef9b297acc73efd805959cad67a9b1d0.jpg

If you guys do decide to include the Romero maps, I'd be happy to send you this map!

19 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I've not encountered such issue through all 8 maps which I've converted previously. That means you probably did something strange which caused this.

Try delete and check. As example remove most of areas except problem ones (make a backups before this). And then check did the bug disappears or not. If yes, later make further investigation and remove suspicious areas one by one. The issue can be even in this rooms, you just need to be more watchful.

As example when I converting Redemption, many screen errors are appeared. But I've removed most areas except first ones and and then continued step by step to see what is going on.

Chasm_v3_p5.png.6d3124ba2db9f2c9eafbb766912ab342.png

Yeah I think just sticking this console here would just make things easier. The console was the only part that had an issue due to this weird line bug which made it very hard to press. Placing it 64 units to the left solves the switch issue but the line still shows... The line bug doesn't crash the game (I don't think it even slows things down) and being that I've found the same "line" error in the Chasm... yea-no... I'm not deleting half of the map... Otherwise at that point I'm better off re-writing the entire map.

Meantime, mind if I take Map 11 of Plutonia? (Just realised it's still available ;) )

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

Even if "line bug" not crashing the game, it's shouldn't be present in final release.

Plutonia MAP11 is a tough choice. It probably needs a different approach, rather a way which implemented in Lost Levels.

P.S. @DynamiteKaitorn
I've just did quick test in a few minutes and converted only the problem room of Chasm.
Here is screenshot which proves that the line bug can be eliminated, and problem hiding somewhere in map:

Spoiler

6fet0dS.jpg

So you need to search carefully.

Also this console switch is absolutely unintuitive. Take into account the fact that official PSX Doom developers never uses that way for switches. Because there is no real "console" flats in PSX Doom. Just change this misapprehension to SW1BMET and you can even save one more sector.

There is another console which activates lift, so you figure out by yourself what to do there, because it's leads to secret area.

Edited by riderr3