Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

As a heads up guys, Chasm has some stretching issues I literally cannot fix without SERIOUS map changing. The stretching isn't major (barely visible) but just a heads up should anyone point out that the starting rooms walls having stretching. (I may try to work on a solution but if I do the geometry of the start of Chasm WILL have to change.)

13 hours ago, RonLivingston said:

Theres another issue I had when trying to load the emulator after patching the maps

This error is also shows when you FORGOT to patch maps. Are you sure you did patching RIGHT?

Well. I managed to get the map patched completely for the PSX doom engine itself, so here's a screenshot of labour mines in playstation doom format. And after that I wanted to check out the next one but all I got was this

labourmines.png

Untitled45464.png

Edited by RonLivingston

I found that many things that were previously impossible could be accomplished using full transparent texture/flat, here is the video:

Originally, PSX Doom and Final Doom does't have such, so I've added them himself.

In detail:
-Proper 3D bridges without texture "bleeding".
-Ambushes like standing cyberdemons on Cyberden. Lower texture is transparent.
-Proper walls which have midtextures on only one side, like at the start of Habitat. Actually back side is transparent texture.
-Possibility to see only back side of inner sector without seeing front side! Maybe this would be as idea for surreal maps.
-Extended fake 3D effect (ceilings) where you can apply transparent texture and make more complex construction. As example hide some back sides.
-Structures very high in sky, with fake floors, where lower texture is transparent.
-Making "horison sky" lines without adding dummy sectors. In case if there are no other sectors behind, probably.
-Proper scrolling midtextures (both sides) with using of two nearby lines, without seeing their back sides.
-Transparent flat have no particular importance, but with the help of it you can see what lies above or below, even sky on floor. Pity that skies do not doubling though.

More other features were shown in the video:
-Fast scrolling for walls, Find Side feature. Though flag "Link scroll" doesn't working for me, I've just used another version of tool. Also it's worked usually on 2 or 4 pillars nearby, like the Spirit World ones.
-One more interesting finding related to "Clip Mid-Texture" flag, only can be done in Final Doom. Using this flag on upper textures (where ceilings lowered to floors), with usage of midtextures, VINE1 as example, it's possible to "stick" the middle texture to the upper, and create the impression as if it's a new texture! This is very effective in order to save space, especially it's don't have any negative effect. So those who do levels with vine textures, you can try. Moreover by this method can be used translucent waterfall sticked to any other upper wall texture, as example.

Also to @Erick194 current PSXDoomBuilder does not find an errors on upper textures with negative Y-offset (causing reverting when you move closely). With clip mid-texture flag turned on. I hope there will be update.

Edited by riderr3

Excellent work @riderr3, I will add transparent textures, at the base of this project, for special purposes.
I'll check the Find Side tool, regarding the "Link Scroll" and also the PSXDoomBuilder.

Of course, @DynamiteKaitorn, I'm still working on the tools, since we have to take several things into account.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:56 AM, Erick194 said:

Excellent work @riderr3, I will add transparent textures, at the base of this project, for special purposes.
I'll check the Find Side tool, regarding the "Link Scroll" and also the PSXDoomBuilder.

Of course, @DynamiteKaitorn, I'm still working on the tools, since we have to take several things into account.

There would be enough of 16-unit wide transparent texture. Also transparent flat can be added, can be still useful in some cases.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:58 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Custom textures/flats AND the ability to change what level is loaded next.

Could we be seeing these tools once this project is finished? :3

Custom textures and flats can be added already now, I've used this way to add the textures. Also exported Doom palette with SLADE3 to use with GIMP image editor. Don't forget untick "remove unused colors" box when applying palette with GIMP.
Though, I've currently not knowing much about it because:
-I've don't know how to add completely new textures, just changed old ones.
-It's broke animated textures, like fire and slime fall ones. Maybe it's behavior of testing build or something like that.
-New textures, even if they replaced old ones stored in MAPTEX01.IMG rather than in PSXDOOM.WAD and probably because of this, map with new textures will consume too much memory (Z MALLOC error can be happened even on small map). Though beta version have new WOLF3D walls, so it's technically possible.

Map names can be changed with HEX editor. I hope later will be available tool like Dehacked or similar for changing map names, ending text, monster states, e.t.c.

Also quote by CoTeCiO about level progression:

For the secret exits, you have to assign which map that exit is going to by the tag number. So, for example, in MAP03, the secret exit has a tag of 56, so it goes to MAP56, if you change the tag to 55, it goes to MAP55 and so. This can be potentially exploited to make a better level progression. For the secrets maps to return to the normal maps, they have to have a secret exit pointing back to the corresponding map, for example, MAP56 has a secret exit with a tag of 4, so it goes to MAP04, otherwise it would continue to MAP57.

Edited by riderr3

Exactly, if too many textures are inserted it consumes the memory.
even so new ones can be added.

By the way, there is something I have not told you yet, in native psxdoom it shows error messages, but in native psxfinaldoom it does not show them, there is only a black screen, I had to edit the psxfinaldoom ".exe" to add the function so that it shows the messages of error, if it were not for that, we would all be suffering without knowing what is going on in psxfinaldoom, I still have to do it for the PAL versions of psxfinaldoom.

15 hours ago, Erick194 said:

By the way, there is something I have not told you yet, in native psxdoom it shows error messages, but in native psxfinaldoom it does not show them, there is only a black screen, I had to edit the psxfinaldoom ".exe" to add the function so that it shows the messages of error, if it were not for that, we would all be suffering without knowing what is going on in psxfinaldoom, I still have to do it for the PAL versions of psxfinaldoom.

I would have ripped each and every single hair off of my head in rage if that was the case. Jesus, I don't want to think how annoyed I would be when I did Mill XD

Good news that the such massive level like Tombstone will retain all the original locations, except for a small optional sector with torches at the top of the map (cause I've used 3D effect in both rooms, for performance reason). Even with minimal slowdowns. And with 1360 linedefs and 6 types of baddies, a quiete of achievement. Main target here was reducing optional linedefs and keep the progression. I've still needed increase brightness on some areas.

Screens:

3D effect used in some areas.
PSnh63b.png

Blue key room turns to spooky place with NM baddies.
x6FNBvZ.png

There are pool height is increased for important reason. Floors which suppose to move to higher floor and change texture, later can not be used as lift. Workaround here is using switch to move floor to 32 units up with changing texture. So that's probably another limitation of engine (still not confirmed on another maps).
RNi5qUC.png

I've added few extra stimpacks and green armor in starting room, because many roaming zombiemen here replaced by shotgunners. So it will not be so stressful, but still challenging.
cjlSQsi.png

Also beta version brokes PSX mouse support. Usually in Final Doom as example in ePSXe you can press F5 and reset, the ingame mouse input and option will be available. But not in ME beta Final Doom part. GEC can check it out I think?

Looks good my friend! I've been waiting for this school semester to end before taking on another map but, at this rate there won't be anything left for me to work on haha. 

10 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Also beta version brokes PSX mouse support. Usually in Final Doom as example in ePSXe you can press F5 and reset, the ingame mouse input and option will be available. But not in ME beta Final Doom part. GEC can check it out I think?

I checked it with the NO$PSX emulator, and you're right in the original finaldoom if it works, but in master edition beta no, I will schedule it for the next beta.

Would it be possible to use the FinalDoom EXE for both games on the disc, so that mouse support is present for both?

2 hours ago, Kroc said:

Would it be possible to use the FinalDoom EXE for both games on the disc, so that mouse support is present for both?

Or maybe add mouse support to Doom as they do in Final Doom? But this is probably will almost impossible to implement. Final Doom exe is superior also because it have fixed GLOW1 flat animation and added "Clip Mid-texture" special feature.

Also I've curious did any PSX emulator have feature when you can use mouse + gamepad simultaneously (WASD on keyboard).

Edit: Found it. For ePSXe you need to use Lilypad plugin for gamepad Port 1, and Mouse/Digital ePSXe input core for Gamepad Port 2, in-game press F6 then F5 on keyboard. In emulator settings just remap some buttons to move with wasd, e.t.c. I hope there will be a way to use it with Doom levels in Master Edition. Moreover, by using this method you can use mouse in beta, even now when usual mouse support is broken.

Might be lower some sensivity.
JzVSqO8.png

15 hours ago, Uroboros87 said:

Looks good my friend! I've been waiting for this school semester to end before taking on another map but, at this rate there won't be anything left for me to work on haha. 

Yeah, especially those maps which remained are surely harder to adopt it to PSX.

With current PSX-GZDB all process going much faster because of finding PSX Doom related visual errors.

Edited by riderr3

On 6/17/2018 at 9:07 AM, Erick194 said:

Special Levels:sfo7f8c6hg61957zg.jpg

E1M10: Sewers (Xbox Doom)
MAP33: Betray (Xbox Doom II)

NO WAY. I'll take Map 33. Yeah, I know...

7 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

NO WAY. I'll take Map 33. Yeah, I know...

This map is quite small, will you keep mancubi here, maybe in more quantity?

To @mr-around  , according to the project rules every map needs to contain cooperative and deathmatch starts. But due to the bug DM starts is not present on Plutonia's Speed and Tombstone. I fixed that in Tombstone (at least 4 of them is enough).

P.S. @Erick194 new lightning system was very nice but it's absolutely broke full brightness mode in visual 3D view. When I press "B" in visual mode I've see a huge mess of different colors and textures,
visibility is zero.
4N9ds8u.png

Edit: This happening when fog is turned on.

As for the blank textures, they shown black instead of transparent (in visual mode of PSX Builder).

Edited by riderr3

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

This map is quite small, will you keep mancubi here, maybe in more quantity?

Heh, we'll see. As I remember from TLL mancubi can't exist with the revenants which are also exist here

Fixed the error of 3D visual mode, with full brightness and psx lighting color.

Download in the OP.

Thank @riderr3 for reporting errors with the PsxDoomBuilder.

With respect to Blank textures, it works the same as Doom Builder 64.

686h8konjz6bhqhzg.jpg

11 hours ago, mr-around said:

No one has yet made Odyssey of Noises (Level 29)? I'm votting for this map in that case.

No one touch it yet, because it's a toughest one. If you encounter huge slowdowns on this map, can be applied this method of redesigning "streets" on this map, it should help with performance.
(made for Caged by Dragonsbrethren)
image.png
Perhaps even reduce the width of the "streets", if the critical slowdowns will happened.

Will Cyberdemon staying or not, thats'a dilemma of the Odyssey of Noises. It's preferable to ditch him, but if there will space for another 4 type of monsters, he can probably stay.

Edited by riderr3

Actually I originally was going to take Odyssey of Noises but then I took one quick look at the map's layout and shape and thought "f**k that I'm not having a repeat of Mill"... Even IF odyssey if noises is my favourite Plutonia map Q_Q

Edit:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

NO REST FOR THE LIVING! :D

I call dibs on The Earth Base! (MAP 01 OF NRFTL)

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

Odyssey of Noises works but it constantly (or at least at numerous outside areas) bombs me out with the message RightEdgeClip: Point Overflow. Don't remember what this specifically implies (we must have already a talk over that but I ain't going to start over the whole thread again for now).

The framerate is quite average in the large areas (like the large blood pool in the south), sometimes even smooth.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

5.PNG

@DynamiteKaitorn
It's too early to rejoice. NRFTL is limit-removing mapset, just take a look how many linedefs and sidedefs it contains. At least x2 more than average TNT maps, end even further. So it will be a mountain that will have to move.

2 hours ago, mr-around said:

Odyssey of Noises works but it constantly (or at least at numerous outside areas) bombs me out with the message RightEdgeClip: Point Overflow. Don't remember what this specifically implies (we must have already a talk over that but I ain't going to start over the whole thread again for now).

The framerate is quite average in the large areas (like the large blood pool in the south), sometimes even smooth.

"FrontZClip: Point Overflow", "LeftEdgeClip: Point Overflow", "RightEdgeClip: Point Overflow" is the error associated with the lines, there are too many in one place where the player is looking. For example, many windows with chaingunners/shotgunners on The Final Frontier and River Styx. Needs to reduce detailing, make windows shorter or reduce their quantity. And use search button on this thread, because we discussed all frequent terms.

Also current Gotcha in beta version lacked ammo for pistol starters. For those who don't know the secret teleporter, it's almost impossible to defeat the cyberdemon, cause there no infighting there. When I first time played the map I've almost ragequit until found that secret. Maybe a solution here put one shotgun shell box in cyberdemon room, also with couple of rockets?

Edited by riderr3

Alright! Odyssey of Noises now works fine with the all the textures and flats converted, enemies number reduced to only three (chaingunners, imps and revenants are the only villians here, so how boring the map is now) and no decorations except one small grey tree. The game, however, crashes saying Z_MAlloc: Failed Allocation on <a_stupid_number> anytime I die or click to restart the map. Here's the level data.

----- 1699 Verts -----
----- 2055 Lines -----
----- 2951 Sides -----
----- 264 Sectors -----
----- 182 Objects -----

Am I to delete more things on the map (boy, 182 is a quite nice quantity for PSX!) or the level geometry was the cause?