Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

47 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Cause in PSX Final Doom they act like usual textures and can't change their animation to sw2 state.

+1

It doesn't work for me in my Mount Pain (I've used them here)

3 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Also to @Dragonsbrethren
How did you used big skull switches in Well of Souls, did you chose another texture or leave as it was? (SW*NEW70 a good alternative also)
Cause in PSX Final Doom they act like usual textures and can't change their animation to sw2 state.

I just used the switch in its current, non-animated state in the hopes that either its animation can be fixed or another functional but unused switch texture has its graphics replaced. Nothing else looks right in that map.

Hello friends. sorry for being late releasing our very first Master Edition Doom Beta. It actually wasn't that easy as I thought inserting all of the maps to the game. I think I have to improve my GEC tools for future beta testings. This beta contains the levels that have been sent to me to date. the maps go in numeric order as they appear in the list. Doom has only two hidden levels. Wolfestein and Grosse and you can imagine where to reach them. The only map that wasn't included was. Icon Of Sin, as that map we will leave it to the final release... Final Doom has 21 levels. At this moment as I'm typing this, the maps are being tested in the actual console, PlayStation and so far, we haven't seen any problems when running the CD. No more to say, I hope some beta testers can join the party and those who want to play it can enjoy it as my brothers and I are enjoying it too!

I also want to thank all the mappers involved  because their maps look ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!

Notice: the maps use the current soundtrack from the actual PSX DOOM/Final DOOM CDs.

No more to say, the files to be downloaded are in the OP. I'm looking forward to see some screenies or even better, watch gameplay videos.

OK, just putting this on PSP! Do you think there would be a way to change the default control scheme?

-- oh, also could you provide a list of passwords to each level so that users can test the later levels quickly, otherwise you'll get very lop-sided testing

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*Insert lots of explosions*

*Lots of tiny desk engineers appear all over the place*

Okay so I've done some play testing of the PSX DooM half and I noticed a few oddities and a few HUGE flaws

E1M1_Oddity_1.png.8ac020b148b692c4ecf2d9d2ed0d1dd0.png

E1M1 Has this weird thing on the floor. I can't quite tell what it's meant to be.

E3M2_Oddity_1.png.078003b81e840fb1cd0551661db50a48.png

Not so much of an issue with the map but more of a silly quirk I found with PSXDooM. I had full shotgun ammo and I can't pick up the armour bonus OR the cell ammo here since my shotgun ammo was at full. I fired once and that seemed to resolve it.

E3M9_Oddity_1.png.1df9f34d965e4eb41902930943c6c664.png

Not very noticeable but on the right side of this image a weird "leaking" effect is going on. Doesn't seem to affect gameplay though.

Now we get onto some bigger issue I had:

Before getting into E4M9, Why is the map: And Hell Followed / E4M7 So brutal in it's difficulty? I didn't set the difficulty to UV either I was on the easiest difficulty but that map kept handing my arse to me constantly! (Didn't help that ePSXe randomly didn't allow me to save states and then load them for some bizarre reason >_>)

E4M9_Oddity_1.png.32cbc7322ea913d2f20e1e1ce357cb73.png

(Since this was the same level I found a bug in I felt like adding this here but, why Chaingunners in DooM 1?)

E4M9_Oddity_2.png.4055c942dafe63cdb40fec9e69799fdb.png

I noticed that viewing the window to my left once I acquired the Yellow Skull Key, this very odd phenomenon happened on E4M9 - Fear.

MAP20_Oddity_2.png.169a37b2a12231a929f4efbb801f37ce.png

This almost looks like this map is tearing in this spot for MAP20... odd.

Speaking of MAP 20, is this map even possible to finish? This jump here is FAR too difficult to pull off consistently (or even at all!) and unless I'm wrong you HAVE to go here to complete this map.

MAP20_Oddity_3.png.dfefdf5ac60d1e0cf86c2d9323b0c2d6.png

11 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

This almost looks like this map is tearing in this spot for MAP20... odd.

I saw this bug, I can do nothing with this.

11 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Speaking of MAP 20, is this map even possible to finish? This jump here is FAR too difficult to pull off consistently (or even at all!) and unless I'm wrong you HAVE to go here to complete this map. 

Oficially you've got trolled by me. This jump is hard, but not impossible.

So uh.... why does E1M1's exit switch lead to a room full of cacos? Also NIGHTMARE CACOS AND INVINCIBILITY?

MAIN.exe_28082018_083219_0249.png

Im using the same psx1.13 thing a lot of you guys used on the last few pages

Also the Doom II monsters present in PSX Doom are allowed to be placed in the Ultimate Doom maps. Unless I'm incredibly mistaken, quite a few Doom I maps had chaingunners and a couple had revenants.

I've still doing The Crypt and Steel Works, but I've taken a quick peek and cheat through the maps of beta version.
Some bugs which I found and also comments under the spoiler because of many screenshots:

Spoiler

Go 2 It have sky ceiling at the same height as nearby window which looking odd. And ceiling of inside sector are slightly visible from that point (3D effect behavior):
dfRhNeg.jpg
And this map have not-animated switch behind blue door, though it worked.
I agreed about monster cast. No cybies, but at the other hand here are many mid-tier monster species, include nightmare variants.

The Cyberden have some dynamically disappeared areas from this point (on the way to marble face switch):
wtyHedZ.jpg

Omen have texture stretches inside inescapable pit:
uCLgPYy.jpg
Very minor visual issue, but worth to mention. Here is possible to use alternate longer texture representing blue skull (16-unit wide). Or change heights.
Z6rvEKN.jpg

Industrial Zone have stretches inside yellow door area near secret exit:
H1JlC1h.jpg
There are more stretches in those corridor, just come closer to wall...

Fear is crashed after map restart (Z Malloc error). This map is too overdetailed for PSX standards - mostly because of many stairsteps which can be easily reduced.

I think night sky is quite suitable for Storage Facility, cause there are not many places in PSX Final Doom where you can see blue glow of sky (lower part):
D0yHMRH.png

Phobos Mission Control have well-chosen colored sectors, even there are not many.
In-game this yellow lamps looked awesome in the aggregate with another colors:
1aFwPDw.png

Stretches in The Sewers:
ZIL0EoU.png
Also not sure did the brown slime was supposed to be replaced by high-voltage lights, or it's a bug? May be just change it to nukage which already present in this map.

Well of Souls.
Brown slime is bugged here (distorted sprite shown?). And looks like the sky CAN be shown at floors technically. May be with transparent flats? Anyways sky is too short. If there is a way to double the skies...
Though when I reseted game, I anyways see a light flat instead of brown slime which is also weird.
ItBBBqp.jpg

In Caged Pain Elementals did not have their sounds. It's sounds limit which are discussed on previous pages.

Also I've uploaded videos of some maps which I converted earlier. Actually it's recorded long ago but uploaded today.
Note the framerate can be lower because of recording. And this is more earlier beta versions of maps so they used MAP01 music and had minor differences.

P.S. @Erick194 you can edit OP last part of rules.

Edited by riderr3

Well after redoing PSX DooM and this time remembering that Square = Run, I completed the PSX DooM half! I have to admit it was fun! though I did find 1 more error, again on map 20:

MAP20_Oddity_4.png.ddf7d5f4c2d83c909c433cb09541016b.png

This wall is near the exit of MAP20 and is just to the right of the teleporter you take to enter this room.

I just realised, since no one is doing MAP 15, Twilight, how do we access cyberden and Go2It?

EDIT 1: Okay so I completed Sewers and was successful in making it to Cyberden but there's a crash in Cyberden. Upon completing Cyberden, the usual level completion screen pops up but for some reason a ZMALLOC crash occurs aterwards. I also noticed it says ENTERING: with no text underneath. Is Cyberden broken or did I cock up my conversion of Go2It?

EDIT 2:

This here is a few more screenshots I found of quirks in the PSX Final DooM maps:

Spoiler

BLACK TOWER:

BlackTower_Oddity_1.png.c582559b9e1e608212d480a99bd5de9b.png

This door texture is upside down and causes a weird collapse effect when it opens.

BlackTower_Oddity_2.png.d51e86c3e54b29ecc9d98c4cfd485bd6.png

The green-ish walls on the ledges near the slimey river on the outside of the tower have a weird effect with them, probably texture stretching.

GARRISON:

Garrison_Oddity_1.png.55235d176ce52e57cb7b910fb0a5ced4.png

Minor texture stretching found.

RIVER STYX:

River_Styx_Oddity_1.png.080c5e836564862069e7b190095d3608.png

The lava floor does not animate.

(nicolas)Caged

NicholasCAGED_Oddity_1.png.ecc4bf2f5c5f1dc6c76c4463a2a2a7e7.png

Again, the liquid on the floor does not animate.

WELL OF SOULS:

WellOfSouls_Oddity_1.png.ac7ef5fe91a0c07252708c2658b8ce01.png

Doesn't take a genius to spot why this level in on my list of errors.

SEWERS:

Before I post the screenshots, whoever made Sewers REALLY needs to re-work on the map. I'm sorry but there's far too many issues.

Sewers_Oddity_1.png.8133b43b245c76f56702f506b753ddbd.png

Blatantly obvious texture stretching and why use a light texture as a damaging floor texture?

Sewers_Oddity_2.png.17c5058e91c6c489f3b2ec59f0da8e4c.png

Turns out you DID use liquid flooring but not nearly as often, not only that but it also does not animate.

Sewers_Oddity_3.png.c2466452c6c48de09ba829567aae4472.png

Two doors are upside down.

Sewers_Oddity_4.png.2aa5f71472e2f109b60b7d6362d60fa3.png

Whilst the 3D effect is fantastic, this is not the best time to have to deal with 15fps. A lot of enemies come from the central area and this room is exceptionally laggy.

CYBERDEN:

CyberDen_Oddity_1.png.e20ad7a08c26ee007354c8154a4d5a72.png

Odd rendering issue.

CYBERDEN/GO2IT (can't tell if this my my fault or not):

CyberDen_Oddity_2.png.e66c52afd32bcc84b6e8b6c83a10beaa.png

Yeah... odd >_>

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

Since I keep getting absolutely murdered at the end of level 1, I can only comment on that -- who thought that was a good idea?? Difficulty curve goes from flat-line to bloody vertical in an instant. You're standing in a tiny corner with fireballs all aiming at that point with nowhere to strafe, a zig-zag path over heavy-damage lava and far too many enemies for level 1. It's a WTF moment and very off-putting.

Visually, the level is good, but there are two concerns I have:

1. Why were the pillars left out in the armour room? Clearly they could be put back in without slow-down since it was only for the Jaguar that they were removed, and they're an iconic part of Entryway. Addendum -- also, you can't get back to the rest of the level to complete secrets, a map-design sin

2. The complex structure in the outside area is a bit laggy and far too complex to fit in with the rest of the geometry in the level. I would recommend reducing it to just 4 pillars (instead of 6), or 3

@Kroc the first level, "New Hangar" is just a special level for the beta, that level won't appear in the final release. 

Hint: try to find the invulnerability sphere to get rid of those cacos and imps!

I'm really happy to see the bugs you're finding :) it's a funny thing.

I tested Go2it yesterday and it was an outstanding map!! It's soundtrack was Breath of Horror.

Just try to use the warp level cheat code. 

BTW, sorry for the bug... :'(

I assume the beta is run with the emulator, just as the mappers tested per the directions in the OP? 

11 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Stretches in The Sewers:

ZIL0EoU.png

Also not sure did the brown slime was supposed to be replaced by high-voltage lights, or it's a bug? May be just change it to nukage which already present in this map.

Well of Souls.
Brown slime is bugged here (distorted sprite shown?). And looks like the sky CAN be shown at floors technically. May be with transparent flats? Anyways sky is too short. If there is a way to double the skies...
Though when I reseted game, I anyways see a light flat instead of brown slime which is also weird.
ItBBBqp.jpg

I tried these two errors in the real console, and there are no changes in the texture, only the texture "CSLIME04 and CSLIME02" without animation is shown.

Fear is crashed after map restart (Z Malloc error).

I also tried Fear on the real console, rebooted the level and did not show the screen with the error (Z Malloc).

Apologies with the error of Cyberden, the lines that end the map, have as special action "124: W1 Exit Level (goes to secret level)", with the tag "0", which does not send to any map and what is loading is the file PSXFINAL.WAD.

Thanks for the reported errors, from what I see there are several things to correct, in addition to continuing to convert maps.

By the way, did you manage to find invulnerability in the New Hangar?

Besides, what did you think of Wolfenstein and Grosse in all their difficulties?

23 hours ago, riderr3 said:

P.S. @Erick194 you can edit OP last part of rules.

Done! Now everybody can upload and post gameplay videos everywhere!!!!

5 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Wolfenstein and Grosse were very well made, I actually prefer the remake you did over the original maps. :)

Yes, thanks to Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen's conversions of SNES and Atari Jaguar maps!!

We thought that Wolfenstein 3D console levels had to be included in a Doom console port, in this case PSXDoom.

12 hours ago, Erick194 said:

I also tried Fear on the real console, rebooted the level and did not show the screen with the error (Z Malloc).

Correctly: UV skill have "Z Malloc failed allocation at 99984". No crash at other skills.

12 hours ago, Erick194 said:

I tried these two errors in the real console, and there are no changes in the texture, only the texture "CSLIME04 and CSLIME02" without animation is shown.

Those pit on Well of Souls every time has different floor texture (include original not-animated). Especially after warping to another levels. DynamiteKaitorn also can confirm that. Maybe it's related to flat which actually should animates.

Forgot to mention minor bug on Grosse - there are significant stretching at the big doors (DOORTRAK) while they are moving.
By another means Wolf3D levels here are great.

@DynamiteKaitorn in my case all liquids is animated properly except those pit in Well of Souls.
Agreed about Sewers. Especially there is not much need to add this sky cause it's underground map. Space can be saved for textures.
I've added Garrison to my update list.

14 hours ago, Job said:

I assume the beta is run with the emulator, just as the mappers tested per the directions in the OP? 

I've also tried beta on PSP. Surprisingly it's have slightly better framerate than ePSXe.

@Gerardo194 I hope New Hangar will be removed from next beta because it spooke another people (or place it at secret map slot as placeholder, until another map is ready). I found invul sphere though, that was not hard.
Also the Master Levels from PSX Final Doom have different sequence (non-alphabetical). So current Master Levels can also have sequence which depends on difficulty and weapon progression.

Have to mention Phobos Mission Control which have secret SSG. So this map probably can be at secret slot somewhere in Ultimate Doom.

Another good news is the old passwords will work with new maps, except ones which are not present in the beta.

@riderr3 of course, New Hangar will be removed for the next beta release. This was just included here because this was the first custom map my brother made for PSX Doom.