Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

This is absolutely bonkers -- keep going! Can you just imagine DTWiD on an actual PSX??

1 hour ago, Kroc said:

Can you just imagine DTWiD on an actual PSX??

I can even imagine Hell Revealed 2 on an actual PSX, but that doesn't make any sense ;)

59 minutes ago, Kroc said:

This is absolutely bonkers -- keep going! Can you just imagine DTWiD on an actual PSX??

I'm a bit annoyed that the DTWiD wads both have that "can not use" clause in their text files. I wouldn't mind porting them.

@marver0PS I think you are exceeding the game's memory. Try checking out the Vram viewer or deleting some monsters or objects.

9 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

So is the plan to insert our conversions between the stock (Final) Doom maps, copying the PC order? If so, I recommend ensuring a good sense of progression when it comes to things like skies and monster usage.

Yes, something like that, copying the PC order or making some changes like PSX Doom games did, the level progression will be discussed with you guys. We possibly will be adding more slots soon.

I've got a question - what about the music?

I know that PSX Doom is still using some "tracker" music (or just midis), because there is the old thread on Doomworld forums where some guy have posted psx doom soundfont (not doom 64 soundfont) and converted midis from the game.

To be honest, PSX Doom Soundfont is not so cool as Doom 64, because it uses already created complex sound effects, so I as composer have not so much variety of instruments to create interesting music (but still, I can). And all ingame midis are just random pitched single notes which causes the needed sound effect.

I also know that "Club Doom" music is not midi, it's a mp3 music. We can also use this for some maps. I mean, change the original track into new and use it by "W1 Play Club Doom Music" action line.

P.S.: Possibly my english in this post totally sucks, sorry. I hope my message is understandable, though.

Frankly, what I'd imagine using music for is taking music from PSXdoom, D64 and Quake64 all into one.

They're all horror-atmosphere songs by aubrey hodges and they all seem like they'd fit into... any atmosphere, really. Be it psx, n64 or quake...

And between them, there'd be at least 60 songs so...

4 minutes ago, StalkerZHS said:

Frankly, what I'd imagine using music for is taking music from PSXdoom, D64 and Quake64 all into one.

They're all horror-atmosphere songs by aubrey hodges and they all seem like they'd fit into... any atmosphere, really. Be it psx, n64 or quake...

And between them, there'd be at least 60 songs so...

It doesn't help the situation. I mean, you can extract those songs, but you can't put them into PSX Doom. Even more, as I said - Doom 64 uses the different soundfont and can't be replicated by PSX Soundfont.

If only you'll replace the PSX soundfont with D64, but after this manipulation you MUST use only Doom 64 midis. And the question is still actual - how to add those midis?

2 hours ago, marver0PS said:

I'm getting a strange error loading my map:

freememory.png.0b07761e25e66c917fdafef848dc14ca.png

I can't seem to fix it.

It seems that your map is too big, or too complex (too many linedefs), or has too many textures, or too many sprites, or too many sounds or maybe even all of the above.

58 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

I've got a question - what about the music?

The thing with the music in the PSX is that every in-game song (or ambient soundtrack, whatever) has it's own samples and "MIDI data" within the file, kind of like MOD files. Those can potentially be edited if someone figures a way to manipulate them and make them be read properly by PSXDOOM.EXE. If you swap those files around (put the music from MAP01 in MAP02, for example), no music plays, so the game expects specific information. The "instrument" samples are in the same VAG format as the sound effects, but I don't know about the sequence data. That means that it could be possible to insert music from Doom 64 or if someone works in a good soundfont, even from vanilla Doom, but there's still quite a bit of code part to figure out.

The rest of the music is standard redbook CD audio (which are headerless WAVs, not MP3s), the Club Doom thing could potentially be exploited but I don't know if I want to hear the same track over and over again, potentially differing too much from the rest of the in-game music.

Edited by CoTeCiO

@Erick194 It's ok if I get on Level 28: The Spirit World and E4M5: They Will Repent ?

11 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

So is the plan to insert our conversions between the stock (Final) Doom maps, copying the PC order? If so, I recommend ensuring a good sense of progression when it comes to things like skies and monster usage.

We are free to use nightmare/spectre monsters, and things like chain hooks and unused ceiling lamp (if they fit particular places).
Note on nightmare monsters: nightmare attribute did not doubles the hit points of zombies and imps.
Because of sprite limitation it's not possible keep all monster cast same as on PC Doom maps. Adapt maps in that way like if they were released on the PSX.

Also I found engine-related bug/feature, where platforms which going up (raise to next higher floor) can receive visual garbage, if you activate same action for second time
Happened to me, but I fixed this by choosing different action:

Spoiler

X3Cq7Pc.jpg

Wow, I'm amazed at the ingenuity of some people. And been wanting to post about this for hours, but being a FNG, I wasn't able to post more until the timer ran out. :(

I'd like to take TNT MAP06: Open Season if that's okay. I've never really released anything, but I've dabbled in editors for years, so this shouldn't be too hard on me. IMO I already did the hardest part - flat and sidedef texture replacement, and both come in underneath quota (though that might change), but for now, there's "room to spare."

Trying to get it to run though is giving me a Z_MALLOC error, and I'm not sure why. AFAIK the map is totally within its limits - no individual lump in the WAD is over 64k (though the WAD itself is 119k - but AFAIK that was said to be okay), texture/flats are within limits, no individual map limit (Things, Sectors, etc.) is broken... so I'm not really sure why it's choking, but it is.

Also, a more technical question to the devs - is there any way to assign a song to the map? I've got a few possibilities picked out (from the Final Doom OST of course), but I'd like to run through the map with them just to see if they "feel" right.

Your Z_MALLOC error is almost certainly due to the size of MAPSPR01.IMG. The file contains all the sprites used for the level and is limited to about 800kb, which is why we sometimes have to cut down on monster variety so much. I recommend checking out some of the official maps for inspiration for how they worked within this limit.

On 6/23/2018 at 8:54 PM, Gerardo194 said:

@Uroboros87 glad you fixed your issue but, what's that map??? I don't know it. Looks good.

Thanks! It was a map i just threw together. I'm still learning what I can and can't do mapping for the PlayStation. 

Will the two maps that Romero made recently be included in this project as well?

3 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Your Z_MALLOC error is almost certainly due to the size of MAPSPR01.IMG. The file contains all the sprites used for the level and is limited to about 800kb, which is why we sometimes have to cut down on monster variety so much. I recommend checking out some of the official maps for inspiration for how they worked within this limit.

Just checked, and yep - 1262k.

Seems I'll need to alter a few things then. I'll try that after dinner.

"Fun" fact: Barons of Hell take up slightly more room than Hell Knights. It's enough to push Power Control over the limit if I use Barons instead of Knights. This happens at 772KB, but Well of Souls actually exceeds 800KB, proving that the size of the map WAD/ROM itself also comes into play for sprite limits. Presumably you could get more monster variety by getting rid of map geometry. Might be a worthwhile tradeoff in some cases.

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

5 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

"Fun" fact: Barons of Hell take up slightly more room than Hell Knights. It's enough to push Power Control over the limit if I use Barons instead of Knights.

Well this'll be a bit more fun than that, since the OG PC map has a ton of variety - Zombiemen, Shotgun Guys, Heavy Weapon Dudes, Imps, Lost Souls, Demons, Revenants, Cacodemons, Hell Knights, and depending on the difficulty level, Arachnotrons, Mancubi, and of course an Archie (which I've already got a replacement for).

Sounds like I'll need to weed out some of the less-used opposition.

Is there any sort of loose guide as to how much a given monster takes up per-use? Maybe later on this could all be automated/notified or built into the Batch Script (really, it should probably at least throw up a warning if MAPSPR01.IMG is over 9000 800k), but that would definitely help, as it's pretty clear that it's using RAM per-thing in that sense.

4 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

"Fun" fact: Barons of Hell take up slightly more room than Hell Knights. It's enough to push Power Control over the limit if I use Barons instead of Knights.

I was thinking that maybe a workaround for that would be using Nightmare Hell Knights, which would make them be pretty much Barons of Hell, just with different looks.

31 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

"Fun" fact: Barons of Hell take up slightly more room than Hell Knights. It's enough to push Power Control over the limit if I use Barons instead of Knights. This happens at 772KB, but Well of Souls actually exceeds 800KB, proving that the size of the map WAD/ROM itself also comes into play for sprite limits. Presumably you could get more monster variety by getting rid of map geometry. Might be a worthwhile tradeoff in some cases.

I confirm this. Personally I've managed to shove in Abattoire mostly prominent Plutonia monster cast - revenants, mancubi, chaingunners, imps, lost souls, and they fit well with the map design. Other things is also slightly increase MAPSPR01.IMG size (such as animated torches and barrels).

1 hour ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Thanks for the heads up. Now I know to be careful if I use barons for my map conversion.

Edit: Since this is rather relevant to me and this topic:

Arr-se.png.73322961d51b4b2cb7a4b489e5f70c70.png

"Arr yee land lubber! What be this deed? Arr! You be but a fool! This 'ere kracken is not one to mess with 'ere laddie! Step back whilst me crew takes down this fiend and take all it's precious booty! Arrrrrrr!"

Usually like 1-3 hours later it's all like:

"Arr... This kraken be but a fool's gold... We've ben 'ad lads! arrrr!"

(Sorry for the bad puns)

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Thanks for the heads up. Now I know to be careful if I use barons for my map conversion.

Edit: Since this is rather relevant to me and this topic:

Arr-se.png.73322961d51b4b2cb7a4b489e5f70c70.png

"Arr yee land lubber! What be this deed? Arr! You be but a fool! This 'ere kracken is not one to mess with 'ere laddie! Step back whilst me crew takes down this fiend and take all it's precious booty! Arrrrrrr!"

Usually like 1-3 hours later it's all like:

"Arr... This kraken be but a fool's gold... We've ben 'ad lads! arrrr!"

(Sorry for the bad puns)

Anyone got an idea why this is happening?

image.png.a77b608b9e71a8306d0c194380bce7a6.png

The wall has both upper and lower unpegged. The upper wall seems to be unpegging right, but the lower wall is "flipped."

My hunch is that this is something to do with the height of that wall or something like that, but it's kind of surprising that it's only happening here. Not even the lava/piston room is acting up and the height of those walls is far taller.

You're right.

I see, though, that the line is flagged with lower unpegged, which causes some interesting quirks with textures, like stretching and, I believe, mirroring. Does unflagging that fix the issue?

24 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

You're right.

I see, though, that the line is flagged with lower unpegged, which causes some interesting quirks with textures, like stretching and, I believe, mirroring. Does unflagging that fix the issue?

At the cost of totally butchering alignment, yes.

image.png.bd98c726be1a1e662bcbe5af9dbc7063.png

I tried to have it unpegged and align the lower by setting its Y-Offset to 96 - the results weren't good, AND it borks the upper alignment as well (which would be the natural consequence of the alignment skew.)

image.png.51f837f12aea1304f6f5f9e9f97dd10a.png

Removing Upper Unpegging and only keeping Lower leads to the same result - bottom is still junk, upper is now not aligned.

So in the end, I did what I think is the best solution - alter the height of the Rocket Launcher room, so that I can lower the height of the window leading to it, so that there is less of that texture being tiled, and as a result, get both of them tiling just fine even with both upper and lower unpegging.

image.png.3401d5e4bb0a1a666625f764d8495ef4.png

(And you probably wouldn't have even noticed I did it if I hadn't pointed it out - the hallmark of a good edit, IMO.)

9 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

The rest of the music is standard redbook CD audio (which are headerless WAVs, not MP3s), the Club Doom thing could potentially be exploited but I don't know if I want to hear the same track over and over again, potentially differing too much from the rest of the in-game music.

You didn't get the idea - we always can use some tracks like this - https://youtu.be/qLWFYbrfmZI?t=1h25m27s

P.S.: