Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

7 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

About the usage of Fire sky, actually static skies consumes more memory than Fire sky.

To be correct, fire sky consume 4x less space in the VRAM space.

But on another side if I apply fire skies, some big maps with enormous structures have "Z Malloc: failed allocation on *******" error or significant slowdowns (even if I remove some linedefs). I've encountered it by myself on Adm. Center just by changing static hell sky on fire sky.

So the skies need to be chosen wisely. I think that's the cause in PSX Final doom maps Quarry and Lunar Mining Project have static inferno sky, because at the outside the slowdowns is already noticeable.

6 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Could be due to the Spider Mastermind. Hitboxes on those are notoriously wonky (even in Vanilla Doom), and it's entirely possible for the PE to get "stuck" endlessly spawning Lost Souls that explode immediately (because it's inside the bounding box of the Mastermind) whilst the Mastermind also can't move (because it sees its move as being blocked).

Not a ton I can do about that for the most part, I think.

Well, if the lost souls would not to be randomly stucked, there is less chances to beat this map 😏
Even a small redesigns would cause huge changes. And in this case it is need to check everything well.

Edited by riderr3

12 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Well, if the lost souls would not to be randomly stucked, there is less chances to beat this map 😏
Even a small redesigns would cause huge changes. And in this case it is need to check everything well.

Can't exactly redesign the map for something like that, it'd be something GEC would need to fix.

No need to worry about it, when there's a problem, there's a solution... I remember it used to work properly when you sent the map to us.

Like I said, wouldn't be surprised if the music change somehow tipped it over, as I was cutting it pretty close on the RAM limit. At the least, I couldn't add Cacos without overflowing the RAM.

If that's the case, I'll have to figure out something probably. I really want to keep the Pain Elementals there for the extra challenge and the "Doom II in Doom" feel. I'd probably have to swap out the Barons for Nightmare Hell Knights, and failing that, something that uses less memory.

Since it's been a little while since this topic has seen some action, and in honor of @Hyde making his entry on these forums... let's give some new screenshots of a new level for everyone to drool over, shall we?

Behold TNT MAP06: Open Season. Surprisingly few cuts needed here. The walkway with the pumps where you get the Blue Key is decent (but not great) with the framerate by Playstation standards (about 10-15 FPS), though of course if you're playing on an emulator just overclock the emulated CPU and that will get around it. Considering you spend relatively little time in that exact part of the level, I decided it was acceptable. It did need some vertical shearing for the walls of course (Tim alluded to how they did dummy sectors to work around this - not sure how that'd work here?), but I did it in such a way that it will actually be somewhat tricky for you to notice if you're not really looking for it. There's only one area where it's really "obvious" and that's both pretty minor but also not something I can avoid if we want a catwalk around the pumps at all.

Otherwise, map plays pretty great for most of it. I'm pretty proud of the light effect I got going in the one hallway (the third screenshot); it looks great in motion. The Caco trap for the Yellow Key is a bit more of a challenge now due to framerate plus the vertical compression (you're more generally in their line of sight to attack), too. I also tweaked a few things here and there in some rooms, to try to give it a little more atmosphere and to get around things where height changes made a few things no longer work like how they used to. Also found a way to hide the sound tunnel that was painfully visible in the original once the Caco trap was sprung (that always annoyed me).

Too bad that I can't "link" the two maps together (have the end of one be the start of the other) due to texture space limitations, or I'd have linked right to the start of this from my work on TNT MAP05: Hanger.

Without further ado, the shots!

Spoiler

scene01051.png.218df12ac7cee4516f41eeb772c26d78.png

scene04051.png.2fb847e9c0797c8e4ec992c6e80e912e.png

scene05401.png.026643732ae0b152242735769c7c48f7.png

scene07951.png.93c533828a7e82f6e8bc3c30379b722a.png

scene08251.png.00666423e27cc574080067d03e0ac0f7.png

scene12451.png.fa4cfaa0afcb328826e1355fa6953364.png

scene16501.png.f473d4f6bf80c8ad1e6f525dc42331a2.png

scene17101.png.8eb4e18704f18b0b217bda4789bf2030.png

scene19951.png.02af78b37cccb92ba06c60897513d7f0.png

scene23251.png.2f5f8dbc424e86010905ed5bf62e6338.png

scene27151.png.ad59c690d4851058276b2224bd00c3b9.png

scene31951.png.9b5361d7a90158572589e6ded57e0e59.png

scene32251.png.ff7c476e2a4746466887d1df8304bc1c.png

Edited by Dark Pulse

I'm wondering about something. What's gonna happen with the demo loop? Is there a way to record new demos or we'll have to settle with demos that make no sense or no demos at all?

12 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

I'm wondering about something. What's gonna happen with the demo loop? Is there a way to record new demos or we'll have to settle with demos that make no sense or no demos at all?

Pretty sure that will be among the last things done, since first all the new levels need to get done, and even after that, GEC has to decide if they want to do just a version with the cut/added levels, or if they want to do a version that slots the new maps in between the old ones. 

29 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Pretty sure that will be among the last things done, since first all the new levels need to get done, and even after that, GEC has to decide if they want to do just a version with the cut/added levels, or if they want to do a version that slots the new maps in between the old ones. 

"Demo" in Doom universe means the .lmp demo which are played when player did not press any buttons/key. The beta have new demos, but they are two seconds long and player not moving. I've also wonder how possible to record PSX Doom demos.

7 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

"Demo" in Doom universe means the .lmp demo which are played when player did not press any buttons/key. The beta have new demos, but they are two seconds long and player not moving. I've also wonder how possible to record PSX Doom demos.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. No point in having a demo if in this version of the game that map is map slot 14, and in the next it's in map slot 17. That'd break the demo, just like different versions of PC Doom broke its demos.

Hence, I'm very sure it will be among the last things done, when all the maps are finished and compiled. Possibly we'll even vote on what maps get demos of them (since nominally speaking you want to pick pretty impressive maps to show off).

16 hours ago, mr-around said:

What's the approximate date of Beta 3 release, guys?

And what's the status of NRFTL maps, how the progress going? Also what happened with Downtown and Realm.

I doubt about release beta 3 soon, because GEC now started to hack Doom 64.

3 hours ago, riderr3 said:

And what's the status of NRFTL maps, how the progress going? Also what happened with Downtown and Realm.

I doubt about release beta 3 soon, because GEC now started to hack Doom 64.

Well, the flip side of that argument is that the production process for PS Doom now is pretty streamlined. They get maps, they compile their ISO, done.

Doom 64 is a challenge they can do concurrently with this.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, riderr3 said:

Oh, 'tis ok! Most of them are in a good state to finish soon. Beta 3 ain't gonna be released soon, right? Than, here's reason to not hurry up that bad. Hands of me didn't touched Downtown and Realm both, but if there's any difficulty with 'em I'm prepared 'nough to do a collaboration for an additional time.

8 minutes ago, mr-around said:

Oh, 'tis ok! Most of them are in a good state to finish soon. Beta 3 ain't gonna be released soon, right? Than, here's reason to not hurry up that bad. Hands of me didn't touched Downtown and Realm both, but if there's any difficulty with 'em I'm prepared 'nough to do a collaboration for an additional time.

From what I can tell, new betas get released when there's enough maps to warrant it. I know I'm going to be submitting my last two over the weekend, since someone else got to NME before I did.

Found more minor bugs in current beta.

Caughtyard:
CR9D7MV.png

This dude is keep teleporting on same pedestal while he should use another pedestal also.

Black Tower:
lwE291B.png
Behind the tower, it seems there are missing texture instead of dummy sector or blank texture.

lGklTk3.png
Through this wall it's possible to use switch in another room.

Just wanted to let you guys know I've been following this thread daily, I hope we see an update soon 🌷

There must an update soon. Erick194 is working hard to bring something powerful to PSXDoom for the future. Do you guys would like to see the Ultimate Doom episode complete for Master Edition??

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

There must an update soon. Erick194 is working hard to bring something powerful to PSXDoom for the future. Do you guys would like to see the Ultimate Doom episode complete for Master Edition??

I thought Doom 1 was complete? Dis was the last map needed.

And okay, thanks for the heads up, I'll submit my TNT levels tonight.

EDIT: Wait, I think I get what you're saying. You mean to combine them into one episode along with the original maps? 

Edited by Dark Pulse

45 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

EDIT: Wait, I think I get what you're saying. You mean to combine them into one episode along with the original maps?

Yes!

12 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Yes!

That'd be very good, but I'd highly recommend that you guys switch from pre-built ISOs to XDelta patches to keep your noses clean in a legal sense. You can see my posts in the OptiDoom thread (for the 3DO port) for an idea of what I mean. While I doubt that someone will come after you guys, it's easier to not take the risk, and this way we can still distribute our changes with minimal effort needed on the end-user to patch the game up and play. It is maybe a bit trickier for whoever is maintaining the PSP versions of it, but that's not something you guys handle, so nothing you need to worry about yourselves.

If that's too hard for you guys to follow, I don't mind making the patches myself. I've only got the US versions of Doom/Final Doom as ISOs though, so if this stuff is to work on all regions, I'd need to track down the PAL release as well (and NTSC-J in all likelihood) so that I could patch against those, and from you guys, I'd need precompiled ISOs to make the patch from.

Edited by Dark Pulse

2 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Yes please :)

22 minutes ago, ExplosivePlaystation said:

since theres a psp release, are you able to play this on ps3 as well?

As long as you got a way to convert it to a PKG (which presumes you have a jailbroken PS3 in some way), I don't see why it wouldn't be, but admittedly I haven't tested that on my own PS3.

@Gerardo194

Honestly, I'd like to see 2 versions when this project was done: Master Edition which contains only new maps and patch which will "upgrade" usual PSX Doom/Final to Master Edition Complete with both old and new maps (this title can be used to distinguish between editions). That will be most liberate variants.

Just because personally for me (and not only me), I'd played original PSX Doom/Final maps zillion times and I prefer to play new maps with it's progression.
Sure there are people who will prefer to play patched version with complete mapset.
Don't forget to assign new ID's to CD image in case if new edition are appeared (current ID of Master Edition is SLUS_666.01).

And I actually want to see how Icon of Sin working, at least of it's beta state.

P.S.
I can’t imagine how you are going to include, for example, all TNT levels if in PSX Final Doom there is a limit on the number of levels (there are 30 of them). Only if the case was found a way to expand, but I heard no news about it lately.

10 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

I can’t imagine how you are going to include, for example, all TNT levels if in PSX Final Doom there is a limit on the number of levels (there are 30 of them). Only if the case was found a way to expand, but I heard no news about it lately.

The limit from what I remember is around 64 maps, but that's what the multiple game selections were for (to load different sets of levels).

Though maybe he's found a better way around it.

I also want to mention what kind of music maps will have. In this case, GEC needs to choose not only the one that fits the map, but also such that there are no disappearing monster sounds due to memory limit (as for example on the current Betray, TEETH, Redemption, e.t.c). Or give us the opportunity to choose the music and test it yourself (I like to see if all 10 new Final Doom tracks will be used).

Also small but interesting fact from beta2: current Plutonia MAP04: Abbattoire have different music which taken from PSX Doom as I know. I highly suppose it was done to fix revenant sounds.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

I also want to mention what kind of music maps will have. In this case, GEC needs to choose not only the one that fits the map, but also such that there are no disappearing monster sounds due to memory limit (as for example on the current Betray, TEETH, Redemption, e.t.c). Or give us the opportunity to choose the music and test it yourself (I like to see if all 10 new Final Doom tracks will be used).

I know for my maps I requested specific tracks. I don't know if other mappers have gone that far, but while building I definitely listened through the OST and saw which ones "felt" best to me.

Regarding the PSP release, I have made a batch script that automatically builds a PSP EBOOT from GEC's ISO, so these are very, very easy to do. I intend to clean-up this tool and make it available when the next beta comes around.

5 minutes ago, Kroc said:

Regarding the PSP release, I have made a batch script that automatically builds a PSP EBOOT from GEC's ISO, so these are very, very easy to do. I intend to clean-up this tool and make it available when the next beta comes around.

Yeah, but that is going to get them into very shaky ground if they release a version that incorporates the original game. While I doubt someone will come after them, remember this is Zenimax - they went after Mojang.

Hence, my suggestion to release an XDelta patch, which could be applied to an original ISO, to generate a patched ISO, without the legal quandries of distributing a modified game.

I'm not sure how your tools will handle that, since there isn't a "base" EBOOT to patch to and whatnot, meaning that you pretty much will be distributing effectively the equivalent of a pre-made ISO, and risking the wrath if they really feel like it.

I can always distribute the tool to make a PSP release, and the user -- once they've patched their own ISO -- can generate the EBOOT for themselves :)