Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

8 hours ago, Alfaifi said:

I hope things are still moving on this project, it has been a very long time since we've had an update ..

They are. Erick was focused on his Doom 64 decompilation for awhile and put this one on pause as a result; the project is not dead.

Hi all, been really enjoying the PsyDoom source port recently and wondered if there would be a way to play the “Lost Levels” from the PlayStation Doom TC on it.
Was kindly recommended this thread by @Gez - sounds very promising, wondered if someone may be able to help with instructions on setting PsyDoom up with the levels/WAD from this thread, if at all possible.

Edited by francis247uk

I came here just to say that i'm still immensely interested in this project and i'm indeed truly ready for more action! I'm gonna be one of those assholes who just barge in like they own the place, don't wipe their shoes and RUDELY ask the owner for any potential future developments in this project.

Any foreseeable updates on the Master Edition?

GEC are working on their Doom 64 mod, but they do plan to step back to this once that's all done, and the final few maps will then be completed. (They're mostly waiting on functionality that would have to be re-addeed to the game.)

Since I followed this thread, I found more errors that maybe previously not mentioned and should be considered.

Caughtyard
The railings on the both sides is passable
yJ42MWC.png

Because of passable railings player can stuck between skull piles; also at the other side
DdZI1Xa.png

Hell Knight not teleporting because of W1 teleport action - in case if someone blocking teleport destination, action will not work (all who has "W1 teleport monsters only" tag on their converted maps, better change them to "WR Teleport monsters only"; it's PSX Doom engine flaw - maybe Erick will fix it)
ohiipr6.png

Odyssey of Noises
Minor visual flaw - other pits has proper red rock walls, and this pit has simple rock texture
TlIh2QK.png

Keen, SS, Arch Vile and Icon Of Sin are coming to the PSXDoom Master Edition soon. Arch Vile and Icon Of Sin have new sounds made by GEC. Keen and SS have sounds added now. Enjoy the video. 

It's making me want to throw Viles in for the exclusive project maps...

Definitely gotta tweak that Nightmare SS though. It's nearly invisible! Yikes.

That means Grosse can be updated with added keens (well, what is the other usage of them?). It also applies to WolfSS.

13 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's making me want to throw Viles in for the exclusive project maps...

I think Arch-Viles also can be restored as boss characters on Hunted of Plutonia, right @DynamiteKaitorn? I expect that other maps not fits them because of memory limits, except some smaller maps can utilize them properly (and mappers can pay attention to this advantage).

Tools for Beta4 is also will be useful for participants, before Beta4 comes out.

Edited by riderr3

If I re-add Archies back into map11 of Plutonia, I'd have to do some heavy rebalancing as the map conversion was built with Revenants in mind. (Half tempted to add some extra health items since you'd be fighting the game's lag). Also depends on which enemy takes up more memory space: Revenants or archies.

If archviles are small enough... MAP32 anyone? ;)

4 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I think Arch-Viles also can be restored as boss characters on Hunted of Plutonia, right @DynamiteKaitorn? I expect that other maps not fits them because of memory limits, except some smaller maps can utilize them properly (and mappers can pay attention to this advantage).

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

If I re-add Archies back into map11 of Plutonia, I'd have to do some heavy rebalancing as the map conversion was built with Revenants in mind. (Half tempted to add some extra health items since you'd be fighting the game's lag). Also depends on which enemy takes up more memory space: Revenants or archies.

If archviles are small enough... MAP32 anyone? ;)

I mean, that would be a given; Hunted's only enemies are Arch-Viles. That video proved you could fit at least three monster types (granted, the Keen isn't much), but basically there's no reason I could think of that it'd bomb with only using Archies.

23 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Keen, SS, Arch Vile and Icon Of Sin are coming to the PSXDoom Master Edition soon. Arch Vile and Icon Of Sin have new sounds made by GEC. Keen and SS have sounds added now. Enjoy the video. 

Oh my god this has to be the most awesome thing i've ever seen. I love how you kept the theme of having different sounds for the monsters. I can't wait for this baby to come out!

Ps. Too bad the pants-shitting-scary Arch-Vile sounds by @Dexiaz weren't used :(

Edited by Muusi

On 6/17/2018 at 6:07 AM, Erick194 said:

An error was discovered in the MAP02 of Master Levels (in Beta 3), which makes the level impassable

Has this issue already been corrected? If the answer is no, is there any chance that it will be corrected in the not too distant future? Or has the project been effectively (though not theoretically) abandoned for good?
Thank you.

3 hours ago, Nikoka said:

Has this issue already been corrected? If the answer is no, is there any chance that it will be corrected in the not too distant future? Or has the project been effectively (though not theoretically) abandoned for good?
Thank you.

The issue has not been corrected, but the project has not been abandoned either. We were just talking not too long ago in the Discord about the Arch-vile and Icon of Sin, and how those will work for mappers, with video footage of them in action.

Basically, things will be shifting back towards this project relatively soon (the reason it paused was to reverse-engineer and mod Doom 64), but we couldn't give you a timetable.

For now, continue to skip the level.

I think my favourite thing about PSX Doom was the lack of an Icon of Sin but you really have done a fantastic job here. Can we have a video of just the Arch-Vile sounds instead of having Nazis yelling over him?

That was one our favorite things too, the lack of the Icon of Sin where you just see him at the end of the game. 

About your request, sure!

15 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

That was one our favorite things too, the lack of the Icon of Sin where you just see him at the end of the game.

Funny fact, but I just played the PSX version earlier than original, and I thought about who is this goat head at the end, and he also appeared on some marble engravings (it was like mystery for us at the time).

On 6/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, Dark Pulse said:

...things will be shifting back towards this project relatively soon...but we couldn't give you a timetable.

For now, continue to skip the level.

Thanks for the clarification, but for now I will skip not only the level, but the whole game.
Personally I'll only play it when it's 100% finished, to enjoy the experience to the fullest.😋

17 hours ago, Nikoka said:

Thanks for the clarification, but for now I will skip not only the level, but the whole game.
Personally I'll only play it when it's 100% finished, to enjoy the experience to the fullest.😋

I'd advise against waiting and play what we got because we need all the playtesting we can get outside the team.

1 hour ago, Impboy4 said:

I'd advise against waiting and play what we got because we need all the playtesting we can get outside the team.

Unfortunately I can't help you in this regard. The little time I have available is dedicated to betatest cHeretic, the recent port of Heretic on DS consoles:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-convert-dsheretic-from-slot2-ds-gba-to-slot1-nds.588476/page-6

However I don't think you won't find any volunteers, since this project is very followed and appreciated.

My PSP is still there waiting, time permitting, for its chance...😉

Greetings.

15 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

From what TV series is that

An old tokusatsu series, known only to connoisseurs: Kikaider.
If you then listen to the opening theme song... unforgettable!🤩

6 hours ago, Nikoka said:

However I don't think you won't find any volunteers, since this project is very followed and appreciated.

I think you were meant to say "However you may find other volunteers, since this project is very followed and appreciated."

49 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

I think you were meant to say "However you may find other volunteers, since this project is very followed and appreciated."

To me, the meaning of the 2 sentences seems the same. English is not my language, but I think that two negations in a sentence make a statement.

"I don't think you won't find" is equivalent to "I think you will find."

Or am I wrong?

Edited by Nikoka

If there is a simple guide to downloading and running this project for playtesting purposes, so clearly explained that even the greatest dunderhead in the universe can follow it, I'll volunteer as playtester.

47 minutes ago, Nikoka said:

To me, the meaning of the 2 sentences seems the same. English is not my language, but I think that two negations in a sentence make a statement.

"I don't think you won't find" is equivalent to "I think you will find."

Or am I wrong?

No you're right. I re-read it and found that out just now. It's just that the way you worded your sentence sounds wrong even though it's not.

20 minutes ago, MajorRawne said:

If there is a simple guide to downloading and running this project for playtesting purposes, so clearly explained that even the greatest dunderhead in the universe can follow it, I'll volunteer as playtester.

All you need is an emulator, PSP, or burn it to an empty disc.  For me, the emulator option was the easiest.