Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

IDK, I don't see any news even in GEC discord server.

It became some kind of DNF...

They're busy working in their Doom 64 project, last I knew.

It's not dead, but it's certainly on hold until that changes.

(I wish it would, I've got no way to test my map on PSX hardware without an updated executable...)

It sounds like the .cue file might be incorrectly configured.

Did you rename the .cue and .bin files for any reason? And if so, did you edit the .cue file so that it points to the correct .bin file?

I'd bet on the pathname being too long. Shorten that.

Either that, or it's choking on the spaces in "Tools and Projecs."

No, you have to shorten the path.

Try moving them to something like C:\GEC\PSXFINALDOOM.cue (and of course, make sure the BIN is in the same folder and has the same filename).

It's not the length of the pathname. Together, the path and file only comes up to 98 characters total (256 characters is the general total limit by default). Spaces aren't the problem either - I use DuckStation regularly, and my games are organized into folders with spaces in their names.

Since you're working out of the "Tools and Projecs" folder, I'm assuming you're building the .bin/cue files yourself with "MAKE DOOMPSX CD.bat". By default, it produces a 12.6mb CD image with one "mute" dummy audio track, so the .cue file should only have two entries:

FILE "PSXFINALDOOM.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 01:00:00

I was able to replicate the error by building the CD myself, and then replacing its .cue file with the .cue from PSXDOOM_BETA_3. In my case, it mentioned Track 10, the last track on BETA_3 - which wouldn't exist in this scenario. Your error mentions Track 7, which means your .cue file is trying to point to a track that might not exist, or possibly zero-length. ("track start is out of range: 71221 vs 71221")

Open your .cue file with a text editor and check what it says.

Edited by Lollie

Has this project not yet been taken up and completed? Welp, too bad! One thing I don't understand: why wasn't the flaw present in map02 of the Master Levels corrected by repositioning this level exit? Is this such a difficult task to complete? This little thing alone would be the icing on the cake of this excellent collection of levels.

@Nikokacheck your PM please.

For whoever is wondering, the project is paused at the moment until we have news for next update. GEC thanks all your feedback and support you guys have given to us these years. Don't worry, the project is not dead and it's in our to do list. Stay tuned everyone. 

1 hour ago, Vita93 said:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Doom_passwords

How does this work with passwords?

The same way as normally.

In Beta 3, the passwords don't "know" which levelset you select, though. A valid password for, say, Level 3 will always load Level 3 of the current mapset.

Also, because of the way they hacked around some executable limits, passwords from the original games will not work on Beta 3, IIRC.

I think they did fix this, so whenever Beta 4 does appear, IIRC passwords should now work like the original again - they found alternate ways to encode the information and so reverted the password changes.

@intacowetrust might have more info on this, since PsyDoom works fairly in lockstep with them.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:12 AM, Dark Pulse said:

I think they did fix this, so whenever Beta 4 does appear, IIRC passwords should now work like the original again - they found alternate ways to encode the information and so reverted the password changes.

@intacowetrust might have more info on this, since PsyDoom works fairly in lockstep with them.

Yeah I worked closely with @Erick194 on password encoding stuff. We extended the password system from the original games so that classic/original passwords would still work as before, in addition to extra capabilities being added to the system. Those new capabilities are support for up to 255 levels (up from 63) and also support for a new 'Nightmare!' skill level.

PsyDoom has these improvements integrated already - presumably the next version of the Master Edition would too.

A small bit of Master Edition related news for those who might not have seen the PsyDoom thread...

PsyDoom now has full support for the Master Edition Beta 3 as of version 1.0.0!  Just load up the GEC ME Beta 3 CD like any of the other PSX Doom games and enjoy. PsyDoom also patches some map bugs like the progression blocker found in "Trapped On Titan" so a full natural playthrough (without cheats) is now possible.

Looking forward to adding support also for the forthcoming beta 4 - I'll be keeping a close eye out for that :)

What does the current beta 3 actually include? Is SIGIL in, for example? (I guess only four maps or so are missing by now, basically the ones from the OP.)

More of them, probably. I was trying to get my last contribution (Tech Gone Bad) done, but unfortunately I suffered a catastrophic SSD failure that took my PC out of commission for nearly a week, so unless Beta 4 is several weeks out, it probably won't be done in time.

But I will be aligning my previous maps in line with PsyDoom's fixes.

That's too bad with that hard drive failure, man. But yeah, such things can happen. (But it could happen to someone else instead, right? Isn't that what we are all thinking in such situations?)

Anyway, there's no need to rush things needlessly now. Let's just have a nice, polished Beta 4, regardless when it's ready.

Edited by NightFright

... and four or five maps more or less isn't really a big deal, point well taken. That might only change again once Sigil 2 is out, provided you guys intend to add that as well. 

But yeah, all things considered, Beta 3 is already quite an impressive package and there's no reason to not dive into it right away. Unless one MUST have that 100% complete experience, maybe...

All the Sigil campain is complete in Beta 4. The maps that are not ready yet are Mephistos Mausoleum , Last Call and Gateway to Hell. Possibly those maps will be ready Tech Gone Bad for Beta 5. I don't think Beta 5 will take 2 years again, lol

7 hours ago, NightFright said:

Sigil 2

You wouldn't believe me, but I forgot that Sigil 2 is going to be a real thing, I guess the work and other heavy duties made me forget about that thread regarding about Sigil 2. If the rest of the Master Edition staff consider it, there is a change to add that too in the future, not bad idea.

I don't know how much progress Romero has made with it so far. It certainly won't be available this year any more. Until now, there's only one map, but since it has been released commercially as a charity project, I am not sure if it's OK to convert it. Better wait for the rest, anyway.

15 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Thanks a lot guys for your patience. Beta 4 is around the corner. 

There is also good news from me - I have the opportunity to test the Coop/Dm mode on the real hardware, since I recently had a second PS1 unit that I decided to keep for myself after repair, as well as the third party link cable, which works fine. I will post photos of Coop/DM modes later just after the release of Beta 4.

9 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

All the Sigil campain is complete in Beta 4. The maps that are not ready yet are Mephistos Mausoleum , Last Call and Gateway to Hell. Possibly those maps will be ready Tech Gone Bad for Beta 5. I don't think Beta 5 will take 2 years again, lol

Also about Last Call map of TNT episode. I’m not sure how you guys restored voodoo dolls behavior, but if not, then it makes sense to remake a torch puzzle into something more suitable for PSX Doom engine. Cyberdemon also takes a lot of memory there, it may require of change to something different and a slight remake of that arena.

And by the way, after the release of Beta 4, of course we are waiting for the update Tools&Projects stuff.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:27 PM, Gerardo194 said:

Thanks a lot guys for your patience. Beta 4 is around the corner. 

On 10/1/2022 at 1:20 AM, Gerardo194 said:

It's over 90 maps. 

Thank goodness. This is excellent unexpected news, which takes me pleasantly by surprise. Wow, even all those maps in one psx iso! I can't wait to test it on my PSP. If there's still space available, couldn't you also include a section containing maps from classic mods/TCs (ChexQuest, Batman, Aliens, Hacx, Freedoom, Harmony etc); the older, simpler ones shouldn't give problems on the psx, or maybe I'm wrong? Doesn't that sound like a good idea? 😉
Anyway, a heartfelt thanks to the whole team. 👍