Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

Since I watched the recorded stream on Twitch, I want to mention the discussion of the "lost" Plasmagun on the Forgotten Sewers (Currently Map02 In Beta4). It was simply marked as "appears only on Hard Skill" - is it intentionally or a mistake? Even more interesting is that on the original PC doom map there was neither Plasmagun nor Rocket Launcher (yeah, and it's boring). For example, only 3 boxes with Rockets have been added on this map, but Plasma Cells and Packs is too much in abundance (I vote to stay Plasmagun and RL, but this map have too much cells). Therefore, here it is necessary to consider and it is possible to redo the ammunition balance, this is a question for @mr-around or those who are responsible for this map.

4 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Since I watched the recorded stream on Twitch, I want to mention the discussion of the "lost" Plasmagun on the Forgotten Sewers (Currently Map02 In Beta4). It was simply marked as "appears only on Hard Skill" - is it intentionally or a mistake? Even more interesting is that on the original PC doom map there was neither Plasmagun nor Rocket Launcher (yeah, and it's boring). For example, only 3 boxes with Rockets have been added on this map, but Plasma Cells and Packs is too much in abundance (I vote to stay Plasmagun and RL, but this map have too much cells). Therefore, here it is necessary to consider and it is possible to redo the ammunition balance, this is a question for @mr-around or those who are responsible for this map

I'm prepared to fix all my bugs but I dunno whether I should use new editing tools of sorts for the next Beta or simply go on with the installed DB as previous... in the latter case we will be unable to use new features like multicolored walls

Does anyone on here have any valid password generated within Beta 4 on Nightmare difficulty for any level at 64 or above? Thanks.

Am I right in thinking the total number of levels in Beta 4 is 108?

Am fairly confident I've now sussed out where in JavaScript code (as opposed to the underlying C code) to find the 64 bit for extra levels above 63 in the password generator.

18 hours ago, Vita93 said:

Does anyone on here have any valid password generated within Beta 4 on Nightmare difficulty for any level at 64 or above? Thanks.

I generated this password from PsyDoom GEC Beta 3, but I'm assuming it should be the same:

ML1W3PPC!M

2 hours ago, fenderc01 said:

I generated this password from PsyDoom GEC Beta 3, but I'm assuming it should be the same:

ML1W3PPC!M

Thanks.  That's a fantastic one for testing.  Exactly level 64 and Nightmare.  Good edge case.

49 minutes ago, fenderc01 said:

I was able to confirm this. I believe it's what you had posted.

I realised immediately after posting I should have just put it into the game myself.  Thanks for your help.  I'm pretty confident I've got the decode button working.  Encoding should be straightforward.

https://archive.org/download/psxpw

I've made what I think are the correct JavaScript code changes to the password manager for Beta 4 here.  You'll need to download both the index.html page and the psxpw.js file.  You can open it locally in your browser.

If anyone on here is confident enough after doing some testing on it that it's OK, please feel free to put it on web hosting where you like.

On 12/18/2022 at 4:22 PM, mr-around said:

I'm prepared to fix all my bugs but I dunno whether I should use new editing tools of sorts for the next Beta or simply go on with the installed DB as previous... in the latter case we will be unable to use new features like multicolored walls

I also wondered this question, moreover, in beta 4 the textures do not stretch vertically (compare the external texture on the Black Tower in Beta 3 and Beta 4), which allows you to remove the some auxiliary dummy sectors and this will increase framerate (hello to Industrial Zone and many more maps with sector height more than 256 units and added auxiliary sectors). As well of addition of returned PC Doom textures optimized for PSX Doom. I think that we just have stick to current version of tools, because the tools update will not be soon. Another map update might be when new tools will be available.

More about secret exits, confusion in the names of maps and maps with poor monster variety.

With all due respect to those who converted the maps, there are problems with finding secret exits to Slough of Despair and The Express Elevator to Hell. I saw this on streams where players could not find secret exits, unlike They Will Repent, where there is a hint of a secret exit that promotes the player in search. I say this as a mapper who made 100+ maps for Classic Doom, Boom and ZDoom and created several exits to secret levels.

I hid the details under the spoiler because of the secret exit.

Slough of Despair:

Spoiler

There is no hint that there is a secret exit near the place where the chaingun lies. Even if the player turns the switch (or cross action line, I already forgot) which leads to the secret exit, the passage will close again (this is already overkill). Moreover, this passage is far away. It is better and more intuitive to make this one-time only switch where you open the passage forever, this will be enough for the player to notice the opened passage when he is backtracking. You can also make a small hole in the wall near the secret exit, where you can see the suspicious teleporter that will motivate the player to search for a secret exit.

The Express Elevator To Hell:

Spoiler

There is absolute confusion with a secret exit. I needed to open a map editor to understand how to get on the secret level. Why did you make odd numbers of floors that close the secret exit, and the even numbers to open? Who will know about it and how? There is no logic and no hint. Please at least remove the line actions that close the doors, because it cutting all the chances to exit through secret exit. I saw on streams where players are looking hopelessly throughout the level, because you deprived them of a chance to go to Bad Dream, because certain doors closed. How do they know that they will no longer be able to reach the secret level? At least, watch the video "Elevator to Hell" as a secret exit was implemented in the PSX Doom Lost Levels TC. It is not necessary to repeat after them - If you started the idea with small closets, you can simply place 8 closets somewhere at each floor (but not at the beginning of the corridors), where the player from 1 to 8th floor is opening small closets, and the last closet contains a switch that opens path to Bad Dream. I like this option even more than Lost Levels TC has.

Moreover, since the height of main elevator was reduced, the player is now at the sight of all chaingunners at the same time. This is ridiculous and you will be shot immediately if you start with pistol start. Here it is logical to replace chaingunners (which appear at the beginning of the level) with imps. Or wait for update of tools where you can make the main elevator height closer to the original PC doom.

And also a room with 4 (or 5?) cages where chaingunners immediately appear behind you, this is already too overkill for psx doom, the chances are not enough to stay alive. Maybe it is also worth replacing them with imps, or reduce the number of cells? I remind you that in PSX doom you control a standard controller and cannot instantly turn like in PC doom. This must be taken into account in such situations.

About confusion in the name of the maps. This is a question to be resolved before Beta 5. Since some maps were been renamed to avoid confusion (like Sewers to Forgotten Sewers because Plutonia already has The Sewers), what will happen to Hell Keep and Central Processing? Sooner or later, there will be a compilation of the “Definitive Edition” maps where you will have two Hell Keeps, the original converted from PC Doom and PSX Variation, and confusion will begin. This also applies to Central Processing from TNT and map with the same name from Doom 1. For Beta 5 I offer @Erick194 rename the new Hell Keep to Inferno Keep (the one that was added to Master Edition) and TNT's Central Processing to Main Processing in avoiding confusion.

About with poor monster variety - where 3 monsters types is present or less (except special/boss maps like Grosse, Tomb of Malevolence and Hunted where monster cast is fine). I mean the Chasm and Mill which plays very poor by the wise of monster variety (3 species). I open them with map editor and realized that there are free memory for more monster types. Why wasn't this yet fixed for years? I helped DynamiteKaitorn and sent to GEC updated maps where some of original monsters returned. I hope it will be included in Beta 5.

It was also noted that at the Betray level there a huge abundance of Plasma Cells.

In conclusion, I would like to mark the situation on the Grosse map when you beat Cyberdemon, there comes a crowd of barons through one narrow door. It is not difficult to deal with them, and this is a large drawback of the map - through a narrow opening, the barons slowly go out from the small passage and do not introduce any challenge. This is ridiculous. My proposal as a mapper is to make one wide door in that place, or two narrow ones, while placing the barons as close as possible to the door.

About confusion in the name of the maps. This is a question to be resolved before Beta 5. Since some maps were been renamed to avoid confusion (like Sewers to Forgotten Sewers because Plutonia already has The Sewers), what will happen to Hell Keep and Central Processing? Sooner or later, there will be a compilation of the “Definitive Edition” maps where you will have two Hell Keeps, the original converted from PC Doom and PSX Variation, and confusion will begin. This also applies to Central Processing from TNT and map with the same name from Doom 1. For Beta 5 I offer @Erick194 rename the new Hell Keep to Inferno Keep (the one that was added to Master Edition) and TNT's Central Processing to Main Processing in avoiding confusion.

I say PC Hell Keep be renamed to Forsaken Keep like in the TC.

9 hours ago, riderr3 said:

About with poor monster variety - where 3 monsters types is present or less (except special/boss maps like Grosse, Tomb of Malevolence and Hunted where monster cast is fine). I mean the Chasm and Mill which plays very poor by the wise of monster variety (3 species). I open them with map editor and realized that there are free memory for more monster types. Why wasn't this yet fixed for years? I helped DynamiteKaitorn and sent to GEC updated maps where some of original monsters returned. I hope it will be included in Beta 5.

That's what I kept preaching about Chasm and Mill.  For Chasm I was able to get the original PC's roster minus the Mancubus (too fat for RAM). Mill could possibly be able to have Lost Souls, Hell Knights, maybe even Revenants.

Edited by Impboy4

On 12/15/2022 at 3:39 PM, Dark Pulse said:

Paging @Erick194 and/or @intacowetrust.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:03 AM, Vita93 said:

Am still trying to understand why the JavaScript has a bigger pwdata.

I've made what I think are the correct JavaScript code changes to the password manager for Beta 4 here.  You'll need to download both the index.html page and the psxpw.js file.  You can open it locally in your browser.

Sorry, I've been away from here for a while. I had a look at the code posted for the password generator and it looks pretty correct to me.

The difference between the game's encoder and the Javascript is that the JS code is dealing in terms of password characters when it is building up the password array. Each password character encodes 5 bits of information (using 32 possible characters). The game on the other hand first builds up an array of password bytes (8-bit values) and then at the very end converts that to a (lengthier) array of 5-bit password characters. This makes direct comparison tricky since obviously the bit and byte positions for each piece of information will be very different under these two formats. It looks like you got it right though, good work!

1 hour ago, intacowetrust said:

Sorry, I've been away from here for a while. I had a look at the code posted for the password generator and it looks pretty correct to me.

The difference between the game's encoder and the Javascript is that the JS code is dealing in terms of password characters when it is building up the password array. Each password character encodes 5 bits of information (using 32 possible characters). The game on the other hand first builds up an array of password bytes (8-bit values) and then at the very end converts that to a (lengthier) array of 5-bit password characters. This makes direct comparison tricky since obviously the bit and byte positions for each piece of information will be very different under these two formats. It looks like you got it right though, good work!

Thanks for doing the code review!

Hi. How can I run all levels (with the missing levels) of this doom version in order (in epsxe emulator)? Please help me, I don't want change the disc of doom normal for PS1 in emulator and this GEC DOOM...

1 hour ago, slvzanin said:

Hi. How can I run all levels (with the missing levels) of this doom version in order (in epsxe emulator)? Please help me, I don't want change the disc of doom normal for PS1 in emulator and this GEC DOOM...

Not currently possible. This project is for the cut levels only, and the improvements done to the engine are not going to be reflected in the original games.

Also, ePSXe is an inaccurate emulator, and I'd advise you to no longer use it - it's almost 20 years old. Use DuckStation or RetroArch's BeetlePSX core instead, they're way more modern and accurate.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Not currently possible. This project is for the cut levels only, and the improvements done to the engine are not going to be reflected in the original games.

Also, ePSXe is an inaccurate emulator, and I'd advise you to no longer use it - it's almost 20 years old. Use DuckStation or RetroArch's BeetlePSX core instead, they're way more modern and accurate.

By the way, can you help me? 

18 hours ago, slvzanin said:

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Official_emulators#Sony

In addition to modern open source PS1 emulators, Sony created a number of official PS1 emulators.  POPS on PSP / Vita is very accurate.  ps1_netemu on PS3 is close to 100% accurate.

I've encountered some major bugs. I'm playing on RetroArch, and "The Living End," refuses to load. After exiting "The Chasm," the loading prompt appears, but it just remains stuck. The same thing occurs even when I try to level skip into the level. Also, when I try to warp to "The Spirit World," which is after "The Living End," the screen turns black and this error appears onscreen, "Z_Free: Freed a pointer..." Have any idea what may be causing these issues? 

On 1/18/2023 at 6:43 PM, Jay Cee said:

I've encountered some major bugs. I'm playing on RetroArch, and "The Living End," refuses to load. After exiting "The Chasm," the loading prompt appears, but it just remains stuck. The same thing occurs even when I try to level skip into the level. Also, when I try to warp to "The Spirit World," which is after "The Living End," the screen turns black and this error appears onscreen, "Z_Free: Freed a pointer..." Have any idea what may be causing these issues? 

That sounds like a pretty bad one. Paging @Erick194.

In the meanwhile, what core are you using on RetroArch? BeetlePSX would probably be the preferred one.

EDIT: False alarm, turned out it was a corrupted SD Card.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:25 PM, flamming_python said:

You guys planning to add a widescreen mode and/or saving to the memory card functionality?

PlayStation is not capable of widescreen. The PlayStation is capable of the following resolutions:

• Width: 256, 320, 384, 512 or 640.
  • Height: 240 or 480, progressive or interlaced.

In Doom's case, it's 256x240 (which then gets stretched to 320x240 via rasterization). It simply does not have the VRAM for any kind of widescreen, so for that, you'd need to play it via PsyDoom. Expanding the resolution is unlikely because the PS1 has a very strict amount of VRAM - and more screen resolution consumes more VRAM, which would force issues with sprites, textures, or both.

Memory Card functionality is theoretically possible, but that'd probably be a massive code addition. Also a question for Erick, but right now I'd say the odds are on "don't hold your breath."

Edited by Dark Pulse

3 minutes ago, Jay Cee said:

Thanks for the prompt reply Dark Pulse. I'm using the PCSX reARMed core. 

Hmm... ReARMed would be for ARM devices, and that might introduce extra complications.

Without getting too technical, it's a fork of PCSX Reloaded, which is... okay, but not ideal for accuracy.

I do think Duckstation is available for Android. You could use that, at the cost of it not being part of RetroArch. (The RA devs and the dev of Duckstation had a bit of a falling out - there used to be a core based on it called SwanStation, but AFAIK it got wiped out due to that.)

I've tried both Beetle and Duckstation cores and they both run horribly for me. I tried the standalone Duckstation and the game hangs at the first loading prompt. I've also tried the ePSXe app and it still does the same thing; it doesn't open The Living End or The Spirit World. So unfortunately, I'm stuck with reARMed. 

2 hours ago, Jay Cee said:

I've tried both Beetle and Duckstation cores and they both run horribly for me. I tried the standalone Duckstation and the game hangs at the first loading prompt. I've also tried the ePSXe app and it still does the same thing; it doesn't open The Living End or The Spirit World. So unfortunately, I'm stuck with reARMed. 

Do you have the right BIOS files installed?

https://docs.libretro.com/library/beetle_psx/

16 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

PlayStation is not capable of widescreen.

Well, not directly, but you can always do anamorphic widescreen, like Doom 32X Resurrection. All you do is adjust the aspect ratio while rendering the display, then count on the TV to stretch it to 16:9. Works great! It's one of the nicer new features in D32XR.

18 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

That sounds like a pretty bad one. Paging @Erick194.

In the meanwhile, what core are you using on RetroArch? BeetlePSX would probably be the preferred one.

PlayStation is not capable of widescreen. The PlayStation is capable of the following resolutions:

• Width: 256, 320, 384, 512 or 640.
  • Height: 240 or 480, progressive or interlaced.

In Doom's case, it's 256x240 (which then gets stretched to 320x240 via rasterization). It simply does not have the VRAM for any kind of widescreen, so for that, you'd need to play it via PsyDoom. Expanding the resolution is unlikely because the PS1 has a very strict amount of VRAM - and more screen resolution consumes more VRAM, which would force issues with sprites, textures, or both.

Memory Card functionality is theoretically possible, but that'd probably be a massive code addition. Also a question for Erick, but right now I'd say the odds are on "don't hold your breath."

There are literally a collection of anamorphic wide-screen patches and Action Replay codes for PS1 games that people have found

https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSOne-Widescreen-Patches?pid=629933#pid629933

There are a number of PS1 games with that same type of wide-screen mode selectable in the options already, such as Wipeout 3

There are codes in that archive I linked for PSX Doom too BTW. But it stretches the HUD and weapon/monster/item sprites as well (it only makes the view of the level geometry truly wide-screen). I'm also not sure these codes will work with this Master Edition build, as the source has been modified here.

Since the code is available, it should be trivial to introduce this option (well don't know how trivial, but for sure w/o complications).

After all most people have wide-screen monitors and TVs these days. The PSP is wide-screen too.

As for memory card functionality, it need not be something complicated either, with some custom data structure and serialisation or whatever. Maybe as simple as just saving a password onto the memory card, and then to load - calling the enter password function usually accessible from the menu; and passing it the password saved on the memory card.

Edited by flamming_python

On 1/19/2023 at 12:28 AM, Dark Pulse said:

Hmm... ReARMed would be for ARM devices, and that might introduce extra complications.

Without getting too technical, it's a fork of PCSX Reloaded, which is... okay, but not ideal for accuracy.

I do think Duckstation is available for Android. You could use that, at the cost of it not being part of RetroArch. (The RA devs and the dev of Duckstation had a bit of a falling out - there used to be a core based on it called SwanStation, but AFAIK it got wiped out due to that.)

It's interesting. I tested it on RetroArch on my PC and it works fine. Also tested on RetroArch 32-bit on my cheap X88pro 10 (rk3328_box) Android box and it also works fine, but on my phone, nada. 

24 minutes ago, Jay Cee said:

It's interesting. I tested it on RetroArch on my PC and it works fine. Also tested on RetroArch 32-bit on my cheap X88pro 10 (rk3328_box) Android box and it also works fine, but on my phone, nada. 

Sounds like a potential bug with ReARMed.

Check the PC's PCSX Reloaded core and see if it fails there, too? If so, that's potentially a core bug with that. If not, it's potentially something specifically with ReARMed.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Sounds like a potential bug with ReARMed.

Check the PC's PCSX Reloaded core and see if it fails there, too? If so, that's potentially a core bug with that. If not, it's potentially something specifically with ReARMed.

Okay, major update and great news! After much troubleshooting, I figured out the issue. I had the game image files on my SD card, and apparently the card somehow became corrupted. I downloaded the game images again, but to my phone's main drive. Loaded it up in RetroArch and it works perfectly! The culprit was my SD card all along. Thank you so much for your assistance!