Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

If that happened to me with an Industrial Zone and I had to reduce a little more.

Have you downloaded the current tools? That allows you to compress the wad and build everything without too many detours.

I have the newest editor downloaded... kinda wanna try to avoid re-download for a third time the tools since Avast! is a pain in the butt sometimes and thinks the files are viruses, quarantine's them for like 8 hours and then FINALLY allows me to run it afterwards.

On 8/10/2018 at 12:30 AM, riderr3 said:

Also I wonder did the public beta will happen near release or testing lay on the shoulders of the GEC?

Nope, we don't consider that all the testing must be on our shoulders. A public beta release can be happening soon. :)

So here's a few screen-shots of Storage Facility so far:

SF_Pic4.png.4c1eaacf995259d92854eefe7e216941.png

Managed to get this fence to render without looping. (thnx for the clip midtex :) ) Though I do see 1 or 2 pixels (looks like the bottom of the fence texture). Not sure if I can fix that since the fence's offset is 0. :l

SF_Pic5.png.24ef8236f95ebb0cc3e7039d36002520.png

Is it just me or does this turquoise/cyan colour fit really well in this room?

SF_Pic6.png.cd96440a4f81566a629a4ac796710510.png

Since the Arch-Vile does not exist I had to edit the map geometry to allow the player to get up onto this crate to grab the Megasphere.

Now I only hope you like crates! :D

SF_Pic7.png.e5251f748ab2b8ea00f77d0bacf655de.png

SF_Pic8.png.80c12bc29a64d5f3f04b45c1828c0e41.png

SF_Pic9.png.626b8bc56464696874967c2330bd2129.png

SF_Pic10.png.a0049f3aeaaf54775c5c1f0db66a0b96.png <---- This however is still an issue... :S

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

SF_Pic4.png.4c1eaacf995259d92854eefe7e216941.png

Managed to get this fence to render without looping. (thnx for the clip midtex :) ) Though I do see 1 or 2 pixels (looks like the bottom of the fence texture). Not sure if I can fix that since the fence's offset is 0. :l

This hell-like fence is quite unsuitable here. FENCE01 texture actually used in such techbase/storage maps.

As well as the sky. Here most suitable candidates is sky01, sky04 or sky07. Cause PSX Final Doom doesn't have original TNT skies.

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

SF_Pic5.png.24ef8236f95ebb0cc3e7039d36002520.png

Is it just me or does this turquoise/cyan colour fit really well in this room?

From 5 to 8 sector color index is ok for such areas, where LITEs is used.

Overall, you need to cut/conjoin some optional sectors and linedefs to save memory for monsters. Currently I have 200+ sectors on River Styx and 5 type of monsters (5-6 species is mostly standard for original PSX Doom maps). Moreover, especially on bigger maps, with Find Side tool you can receive more VRAM space for at least one low-tier monster. On River Styx I've retrieved pinkies that way.

Also the megasphere on crate... It's too easy to obtain it. Why not use the imagination? As example you can made lift from that crate and it's can be activated by hidden linedef. Player will hear the sound and return to grab that megasphere.

Edited by riderr3

+1

BTW, you always have an example from The Lost Levels. Check this map first and do edits in your version.

Good news to everyone who cares about TNT! I managed to remove the Memory Allocation issue I had... by deleting the explosive barrels..........yay?

I'm not sure if it was the barrels itself or the fact the map had so many so for now, I am going to clean up the map, test run to make sure 100% on UV is possible and then maybe re-add a few explosive barrels here or there (but first, need to do that 3D effect OwO)

For some reason the VRAM Viewer doesn't work with "Trapped on Titan" map. I've thought that the map uses TOO MUCH textures at the same time, but when I've cleared up this mess I've failed again.

Any ideas, what's the problem?

I do not see any problem with the VRAM Viewer, but if I found that the map is corrupt in the format, with damages in the sectors, download this (TTRAP.rar) that is corrected and try to try again.

Thanks, but that's too late, I've already created my own based on the original PC release. I can't do the whole map again from the scratch.

So my question is still opened, just because I've used VRAM on the different map. The "Gotcha" map I've also created by using the PC version of the map, not yours, and while I've worked with Gotcha I've not problems with VRAM Viewer.

This is the only map which is not working with VRAM Viewer. Big maps like "Black Tower" and "Mount Pain" were fine with that.

UPD: Your converted map opens VV fine. Hm. Very bad news for me. Ok, I have to test my map without monsters. If everything is fine - I'll forget about the VRAM Viewer at all

UPD2: My actual map is also broken for unknown reason (I'll remind again that I didn't used the old uploaded PSX map). Great, just great.

Whatever, I'll forget about this map and go on for the next (previous? I should finish the Mount Pain, though)

Edited by DeXiaZ

Thanks again to @Erick194, he saved my project map...again.

Here goes some beta screenshots of TTRAP:

oC04XWLl.jpg

MUWfXyZl.jpg

d9Xxqivl.jpg

srLhyZcl.jpg

I've saved the main height of this town (384) by using some tricks. You can see that in some places textures are bugged, but I'm gonna fix that in future

Progress.

River Styx:
- it is almost impossible to climb this narrow steps due to the specificity of collision system of engine. I've just made one wide step.
HCEIZhq.jpg

- a lot of crushers in one place cause a crackling noise, I had to reduce the quantity of crushers.
- "FrontZClip: Point Overflow" happened near the set of windows near soulsphere, so I reduced them. Like the ones in Final Frontier.

Baron's Den:
- good news is the barons are stayed here, even in more quantity than original map.
UuRAylP.png

- trick with dummy sector: a large moving platform with height of 384 units, without stretching the textures. Instead moving to next higher floor it goes to lower ceiling of dummy sector.
ah32wZP.jpg

- nearby lines activating marble doors & lifts in the north area, they need to be at distance from each other (16 units). Because if the two-sided lines with two different actions is too close each other, one action will not be completed. Like the Habitat ones.

Also updated old maps:

Habitat:
-lost souls returned.
-fixed minor bugs.

Abattoire:
- fixed large texture stretchings in the final room, along those in the red key room.
- water and brown slime are returned (Find Side savings). Even these are not related with linedefs, Find Side can be helpful in some cases.

Final frontier:
- imps are returned. Just forgot to add them last time.
- fixed some mismatches of textures and sector colors.

@Erick194 I've found one more bug related to Find Side when unsuccesfully tried to retrieve lost souls on Spirit World...
When using the Find Side, rapidly scrolling lines appear in the throne room on the columns. The remaining scrolling lines are stayed normal.
Animation shown here: https://imgur.com/5zB7C7V
This can be potentially exploited as a special feature in custom maps. Maybe make this as a optional feature of PSXDoom Builder? If possible.

Also, if you add lost souls to Spirit World (sent one), Revenant will lose it's melee sounds.
I thought it was related with specific map, but then made a blank map with these set of baddies:

Spoiler

XNcMQtK.png

Here are also no sounds of revenant melee. Moreover If I change here lost soul to pain elemental, the revenant will also lose firing sounds.
Maybe this is kind of sound restriction exists? And why it's only affects the revenants?

Edited by riderr3

6 hours ago, riderr3 said:

@Erick194 I've found one more bug related to Find Side when unsuccesfully tried to retrieve lost souls on Spirit World...
When using the Find Side, rapidly scrolling lines appear in the throne room on the columns. The remaining scrolling lines are stayed normal.

With respect to the scrolling textures, that can be avoided by putting some of the different offeset (x or y), and has a useful reason, since there are limits in scrolling textures. Still I can include it as a special flag "Link Scroll" maybe ??

6 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Here are also no sounds of revenant melee. Moreover If I change here lost soul to pain elemental, the revenant will also lose firing sounds.
Maybe this is kind of sound restriction exists? And why it's only affects the revenants?

I'm afraid that is already a limit of the psx, according to wikipedia in Spanish, the SPU can process up to 512 KB of waveforms samples.

Preloaded to the RAM memory of the console.

I imagine, that affects only the revenant, because the sounds of it are almost at the end of the list, before reaching the sounds of midi music.

By the way they look great those screenshots. :)

Edited by Erick194

Almost done with this nightmare of a map to convert...

SF_PIC_11.png.454485520df99243c3c20420d310d0e2.png

Floating Helmets? I've never heard such nonsense!

SF_PIC_12.png.a0deed8a6e1cf2446dd7ba33351bba00.png

Chain(saw) reaction! [Seriously unless I messed up the THINGS conversion, the original TNT map had 2 Chainsaws in it.]

SF_PIC_13.png.9964bd594e8778b59d86cffc36145aa4.png

You have no idea how happy I am to have this map 100% completed. JESUS was this map brutal!

SF_PIC_14.png.e71017d218405fd951e23422b63f571e.png

Also I updated the spiky fences with this chain-link fence texture. Still got a minor clipping issue (as you can see) but now it looks far more appropriate for a Storage Facility map.

At this point I'm going over any texture mis-allignments that are significant enough to worry about as well as fix that floating helmet and changing one of the chainsaws to MP only and then I think this map is ready!

9 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Also I updated the spiky fences with this chain-link fence texture. Still got a minor clipping issue (as you can see) but now it looks far more appropriate for a Storage Facility map.

You can laugh on me, but that I was waiting THIS NEWS from you. Now I can say - Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

26 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I don't get it .-.

He was really upset about you using the Hell fence in Storage Facility. He's relieved that you specifically mentioned fixing it. 

Sorry guys, I've just got way too much other stuff that I'm working on already and real life is about to get busy so realistically much as I'd like to help out here it's not going to be possible. Good luck with the rest of the project, screens here look awesome. Mount Pain's mountain being intact is pretty impressive, haha. Deimos sky looks very good with Storage Facility, and The Chasm looks like it would fit perfectly with those later Doom 2 maps that made it in to the actual PSX port.

I'm also glad to see that TWM01 is being done, and being done properly. I did that conversion for Lost Levels so I naturally felt a little defensive over it, but I see nothing to moan about :) You gotta use Beyond Fear as the music track though!

Ok, @Eris Falling, the maps you chose (Pharaoh, Neurosphere), will still be available to you, in case you decide to do them, otherwise I will take them then, this will be decided after the first beta of this project, which will be in the middle of this next week, or at the end. Thanks for the support. =)

Any idea what each individual sky texture looks like for the PS1 version? Just curious so that I can decide a better sky texture.

EDIT:

I decided to make a test map and change the sky texture. These are the results:

Spoiler

Skybox 1:

SKYOX_1.png.2d947cae63f0d082c3937313f288d9d1.png

Skybox 2:

SKYBOX_2.png.6da67c306706b206ea07986a2322b719.png

Skybox 3:

SKYBOX_3.png.3ed17eef7d3f33bc8440dfa1e91ae08b.png

Skybox 4:

SKYBOX_4.png.88541d8c81339d40a05d240e6673c4a9.png

Skybox 5:

SKYBOX_5.png.75913ea6992cc656893b24e1b2bf47c1.png

Skybox 6:

SKYBOX_6.png.57ce823450e6ea1875cb4ad562e6855e.png

Skybox 7:

SKYBOX_7.png.d874ad5def71526329da02b15d98b18b.png

Skybox 8:

SKYBOX_8.png.ef0f0e586d440cbcf72b01a4d9709a9b.png

Skybox 9:

SKYBOX_9.png.ad370b547af6dcdecf06cde57c6d8c8f.png

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

I got bored so I attempted to convert The Express Elevator To Hell map from the master levels... This is my result:

TEETH_Pic_1.png.ee5cb7c9d53592742ba5be69672044c0.png

S T R E T C H Y T E X T U R E S

Yeah.... I'm a little on the fence if I should take it or not. for now DON'T sign me up for it, I'll say when. (Since I don't own a copy of the Master Levels, I also have no idea how this map is played :P)

EDIT: I watched a video on the map and I'm officially abandoning TEETH.wad right here before I even started. That map looks far too difficult!

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

I guess that the simplest maps for converting have is already occupied.

Also not sure how GEC will handle Living End, cause I've also take a look at it weeks ago and there are gross slowdown right after start. Probably can be reduced size of the area and height variations.

P.S. Also I've detected DynamiteKaitorn tested it on PSX Doom.
Because PSX Doom HUD on screenshot above, rather than PSX Final Doom HUD (Master Levels are part of it).
I'm too considerate sometimes...

P.P.S.
Yes, Master Levels is part of PSX Final Doom, but not the PC Final Doom.

Edited by riderr3

16 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Wait Master levels are a part of Final? Huh.... never knew that.

Dude, have you even played the original PSX Final Doom release? The first episode of it consist of THE MASTER LEVELS.

And don't touch TEETH.wad, I don't believe in you :>

@Erick194

I'll get two slots and it probably would be last from me. Except if NRFTL episode happened (I hope) or someone want to free their slot and give to someone else. I think DeXiaZ and Dragonsbrethren will take care on most unfinished maps.

Sign me for Level 13: The Crypt and Level 14: Steel Works

And please update the OP with finished map list and fix status of plutonian map25 and map29 (who claimed this maps?).

Also to @Dragonsbrethren
How did you used big skull switches in Well of Souls, did you chose another texture or leave as it was? (SW*NEW70 a good alternative also)
Cause in PSX Final Doom they act like usual textures and can't change their animation to sw2 state.

Edited by riderr3