Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

So I've downloaded those 4 files linked in the OP post, but I do have a question on setting it up and testing it.

On GZDOOM Builder Custom, not sure which resource WAD/folder to use that properly loads. When I tried using PSXDOOM.WAD from the ROM's ABIN folder and it gives me this :

image.png.bfd8127dd0cac26b04fceb2f03b7a55c.png

How do I fix it?

Are you going to join to the project? GZDoom Builder can't run the actual PSXDOOM.WAD, in this case I've put the following link PSX_PK3 so that you can use it instead of a wad.

Question regarding the project - how is this different from the PSX Doom Lost Levels mod released a few years back? It seems to be accomplishing the same thing. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just curious.

EDIT: and now I realize how it's different. Disregard me :V

5 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

Are you going to join to the project? GZDoom Builder can't run the actual PSXDOOM.WAD, in this case I've put the following link PSX_PK3 so that you can use it instead of a wad.

If it's about converting the levels I could try. Also the nodebuilder gives me this while I was making a test level.

image.png.9525b9fbce390ff1d93eadf2c8d4c8f9.png

Does this require a run-time or something? I have Windows 7 64bit for those wondering.

I've also tested it on my Laptop, Windows 10 64bit and it doesn't give me errors. Even though if it uses run-time it would be the same as the Official GZDoom Builder

5 hours ago, Erick194 said:

I've never seen that error before, I also have Windows 7 64bit. 

image.png.6febeace74b2d35385dfba1be3b35897.png

Here's this from the Event Viewer. anything?

Spoiler

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\***\Documents\Gzdoom Builder Custom By GEC\Compilers\Nodebuilders\PSXBSP.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I know I expressed interest in working on this but realistically I don't think I'm going to have the time to :/ Will the Lost Levels be used as a visual basis for this project? I was very particular about all the choices I made in LL, particularly with pharaoh and neurosphere. My intention had been to take those maps and make them the same as the LL versions.

also have you considered including TWM01.wad? It was Tom Mustaine's rejected master level that already had an official PSX version before it was scrapped.

46 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

I know I expressed interest in working on this but realistically I don't think I'm going to have the time to :/ Will the Lost Levels be used as a visual basis for this project? I was very particular about all the choices I made in LL, particularly with pharaoh and neurosphere. My intention had been to take those maps and make them the same as the LL versions.

I understand that maybe you don't feel comfortable of not using the Lost Levels maps but this is the best way to make them for PSXDoom in its actual port, with everything and its own limitations. Hope you guys can understand this.

47 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

also have you considered including TWM01.wad? It was Tom Mustaine's rejected master level that already had an official PSX version before it was scrapped.

Regarding of that level as you mention it now, of course it must be included.

Well, I followed all of the steps in the video and I always keep getting this error. Is there a workaround to this?

1.png

Question: which game are you running, Doom or FinalDoom? by the time you use the MAKEIMG.exe you'll also need the PSXDOOM.WAD for either Doom or FinalDoom each one separated. I suggest you to create two files: one with MAKEIMG,exe, another one with PSXDOOM.WAD for Doom and the other with PSXDOOM.WAD for FinalDoom. Don't forget to hack PSXDOOM.EXE using PSXHACKING.EXE

Example:

493cocqgl5uhnamzg.jpg

Here's how I did so far

1. Ran the GZDoom Builder included in the OP post (The latest one!)

image.png.ad5e4d01d3f976b711de0227df881b93.png

2. Create the map and save it as a file.

image.png.2e66d54cceb2c3a2aada15a962737a6e.png

3. Rename MAP01.WAD TO MAP00.WAD and ran MAKEIMG.EXE, creating the MAP00.LCD, MAPSPR00.IMG AND MAPTXT00.IMG (MAPTEX00.IMG I assumed)

3.5 Rename the MAP00.LCD, MAPSPR/MAPTEX FROM 00 to 01 (ex L MAPSPR01.IMG)

4. Copy LCD to SNDMAPS1 folder

4.5 Hex Edit MAP01.WAD change PWAD TO IWAD

5 Copy IMG/WAD to MAPDIR0 folder

6. Ran PSXHAKIGN.exe and generated NEWPSXDOOM.EXE

7. Replace PSXDOOM.EXE with NEWPSXDOOM.EXE

8. Built together the image file via mkpsxiso tool

9. Now to test it.

Then I get something like this :

image.png.84c36aab4ba8076ed311b5a2445b90ce.png

Now I wonder if it's either the BLOCKS lump or the nodebuilder bug.

It's not any bug, it's a textures load error. I'm updating the MAKEIMG.exe to fix the output name of MAPTXT00.IMG to MAPTEX00.IMG and it will also turn the MAP00.wad into an IWAD. Besides, you mustn't replace PSXDOOM.EXE with NEWPSXDOOM.EXE, just leave it like that.

30 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

It's not any bug, it's a textures load error. I'm updating the MAKEIMG.exe to fix the output name of MAPTXT00.IMG to MAPTEX00.IMG and it will also turn the MAP00.wad into an IWAD. Besides, you mustn't replace PSXDOOM.EXE with NEWPSXDOOM.EXE, just leave it like that.

I wonder what's causing the texture load error? even when MAKEIMG is updated it's still gives me the P_LOADBLOCKS: DATA FAILURE error.

2 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

By the way. Are you copying the PSXDIR.txt to the ABIN file and then running the PSXHACKING.exe?

image.png.a602b60af22927e67df76c5431d1b6cc.png

YAY! It's works, thanks for the help! Now to get a better emulator for best results.

Great, my friend!!! Put it in practice now. Now the question is: are you gonna participate in the project??

Finally this project is started.
The PSX Doom is the first Doom which I played, and I have some experience with PSX hacking.
But right now I have a couple of projects on my plate so maybe I'll join somewhere later, if the free slots will remain.

Pencil me in tentatively for Well of Souls and Power Control. I'm very happy with how these levels turned out in Lost Levels and it'll be fun to get them working on the actual engine.

Out of curiosity, what's the performance goal here? Some of the Final Doom (and even Ultimate Doom/Doom 2) maps ran at an abysmal framerate in places. Should we be aiming to keep things as close to the PC version as possible, in lieu of framerate optimizations, or do we have more leeway to get things running as good as possible on the PS1 hardware?

19 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Great, my friend!!! Put it in practice now. Now the question is: are you gonna participate in the project??

I may join later if there are any free slots, I'm not entirely ready for projects as I need to practice more time doing mapping for Doom.

This is great, but I'm more interested in a PSX megawad in this engine, featuring member-authored maps. When would something like that be an option? 

1 hour ago, Job said:

This is great, but I'm more interested in a PSX megawad in this engine, featuring member-authored maps. When would something like that be an option? 

I certainly plan on releasing new PSX maps (with PC conversions) now that these tools are available.

I noticed that in GZDoom Builder the object number 15, which is the dead player body, appears as an option when that object is missing from PSX Doom. It would be good to check what other decorations could be missing to avoid confusion when mapping.

6 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

I noticed that in GZDoom Builder the object number 15, which is the dead player body, appears as an option when that object is missing from PSX Doom. It would be good to check what other decorations could be missing to avoid confusion when mapping.

Hmmm, we didn't notice that. We will check it up. Meanwhile, ignore and delete it from maps too. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Job said:

We are also working on these tools. The Final one will come when the project finishes. The engine might be difficult for megawads due to its limitations, that's why you need to check the Vram viewer when mapping, any questions, don't hesitate to ask us.

6 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

I certainly plan on releasing new PSX maps (with PC conversions) now that these tools are available.

That'd be good to see. But if you do, remember you can't sell them or make a profit with it, these tools were made with non profit in mind. Anything done with these, must stay free!! Besides, thanks for join us!!! Can't wait for more people to join. Don't forget to spill the beans. Lookin' forward to your maps:)

Edited by Gerardo194

1 minute ago, Gerardo194 said:

The engine might be difficult for megawads due to its limitations, that's why you need to check the Vram viewer when mapping, any questions, don't hesitate to ask us.

About the VRAM viewer... I'd like to have some clarification about it. I was making a map and I got flats in the sky, along with corrupted textures, so I suppose I went overboard with the textures. I'm checking the VRAM, but I don't know how much is too much. I'd like that to be explained in a little more detail, please!

@CoTeCiO when mapping, you can't exceed the colored squares or whatever they are located in the Vram viewer, with too much textures and flats. Try to open an actual psxdoom map and check it out with the Vram viewer. You'll notice it won't exceed the colored squares. 

I'm trying to explain this to you the best possible because @Erick194 is sleeping now.

The two big squares are the processed game, next square are the fonts, the two other are the flats (up to 16 flats max) and textures. And the black rectangle located at the bottom is for sprites. I think it works like this.

Edited by Gerardo194