Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

@DeXiaZ maybe you don't know these ones we posted in a thread here some time ago.

My brother was able to extract all of the info to get this out, from the PSXDoom itself. But these can't be made public yet.

1 minute ago, Gerardo194 said:

@DeXiaZ maybe you don't know these ones we posted in a thread here some time ago.

My brother was able to extract all of the info to get this out, from the PSXDoom itself. But these can't be made public yet.

Now this is hella evil. I'd love to hear how you guys did that.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:07 AM, Erick194 said:

Rules:

• The maps in development cannot be shown to the public(e.g. uploading them on the Internet) you can show screenshots instead. 

Do we really need this one? It reminds me of me when I was younger and had this naïve "first and final" belief on releases. I would much rather post my maps in this thread for others to look at, test, and make improvement suggestions.

3 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Do we really need this one? It reminds me of me when I was younger and had this naïve "first and final" belief on releases. I would much rather post my maps in this thread for others to look at, test, and make improvement suggestions.

I have a feeling this is more in the vein of "Don't make a competing project" as opposed to "no testing until final," but it's probably better to get an answer from the guys in charge.

That said, if it is indeed the case that they want it under wraps until it's released, there'd better be a beta testing group.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:35 AM, Dragonsbrethren said:

Midtextures will tile vertically in sectors taller than 128 units. I still haven't determined how Ballistyx avoided this issue; the only way I've been able to work around it is to lower the sector's ceiling.

Now you can cut graphics using the line flag Clip Mid-Texture.

bxb6x7uzn7yt1byzg.jpg
ok7jeb89cwfn15uzg.jpg

8 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Note on nightmare monsters: nightmare attribute did not doubles the hit points of zombies and imps.

If you need to make Nightmare Monsters, you'll need to activate all of the flags (BlendMaks1 + BlendMaks3), as it is shown in the next image:

smke56mlzq7f182zg.jpg

GZDoom Builder Custom Updated in the OP

2 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

smke56mlzq7f182zg.jpg

BlendMaks? Methinks the Typo Monkey hath Banana Backhanded thee, sir.

23 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

I was thinking the same thing, this project in particular needs the input of more people, as compromises have to be made for maps to work in PSX Doom and someone else might have a better idea about how to approach those limitations in your map, as well as needing input on how much a change affects gameplay, like replacing Arch-viles, placing barriers, etc., and screenshots can't always tell what's going on.

7 hours ago, Uroboros87 said:

Will the two maps that Romero made recently be included in this project as well?

Possibly. We will be considering your suggestion, maybe we should talk to Romero if he allows us to include them, stay tuned!

So, I decided to scrap all the work I had done on Hell Keep and Warrens and start all over again using the PC versions instead of the Lost Levels ones.

Hell Keep is pretty much a direct port of the PC version, with only two sectors made shorter because you could see the roof from the outside, the rest is exactly the same as the PC, minus the textures, of course.

Warrens was quite a bit more complicated, I had to remove some linedefs to prevent a Z MALLOC error and add some walls to prevent the roof from other sectors appearing out of nowhere (those walls led to the Z MALLOC error in the first place).

So, I guess I'm done with the maps, they're ready.

Some screenshots here:

Hell Keep:

Spoiler

906589062_ePSXe2018-06-2522-56-56-37.png.e47a9beb972ad40ed4a6de5794e3666d.png1795090881_ePSXe2018-06-2522-57-57-32.png.b69ee87332ba3b160df5a172f8e1e19c.png

About the bridge not sinking: There's nothing that can be done about it. The PSX Doom engine is based on a very early version (1.2, to be precise) of the Doom engine that had this bug. If you play this map on version 1.2 or earlier, this same thing will happen. And yeah, the sunken bridge doesn't hurt either.

849230414_ePSXe2018-06-2523-05-05-48.png.a905afab9f376e5fccb6f7a2a2ccad1b.png

Warrens:

Spoiler

1022282939_ePSXe2018-06-2600-42-33-05.png.5c96301019cf3c9a3697eb821037f4a6.png

Those are the walls I added to prevent the roof thing from happening.

572276585_ePSXe2018-06-2601-14-57-95.png.a0a1838008344d75fba6161006adf97e.png421160892_ePSXe2018-06-2601-22-34-99.png.7c8c8955ff34270f29bffe2fe3f53aab.png

Nightmare Spectres look quite interesting with the invulnerability!

650579061_ePSXe2018-06-2601-18-17-31.png.002ef82820313d82d44fe355a5955829.png

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

Phew, that's nice.

30 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Possibly. We will be considering your suggestion, maybe we should talk to Romero if he allows us to include them, stay tuned!

As far as I know Romero called the PSX Doom is the best Doom, so...waiting for the news!

I'm struggling to understand how to utilise the tools. I've tried watching the videos in the OP but even with multiple re-watches and slowing of the video I'm still lost. :S

19 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I'm struggling to understand how to utilise the tools. I've tried watching the videos in the OP but even with multiple re-watches and slowing of the video I'm still lost. :S

I think your problem is not understanding why you're doing those steps. Look:

1) The map you've created in Doom Builder is not ready to use ingame.

2) You need to put this map into special tool "MAKEIMG" to create addition files for the game.

3) When you've created those files you need to put them into required folders. LCD file goes to "SNDMAPS" folder, all other files goes to "MAPDIR" folder.

4) After that you need to make game understand that you want to run your own map.

5) For that you need to run "MAKE PSX DOOM CD.bat", wait until it finish work

6) You will see 3 new files. One of them is PSXDIR.txt - that's file you need now for game patching

7) Place this txt into "ABIN" folder, run PSXHACKING.exe inside this "ABIN" folder

8) Finally you can create the updated game file for emulator

9) Just run AGAIN "MAKE PSX DOOM CD.bat", press "y" for "yes, replace the existed files"

10) Ok, now you can run your new game files

I hope that will help you to understand what you need to do.

P.S.: There is the automated bat file provided few pages ago, but I don't use it because it doesn't work for me (and because I'm not understanding what exactly I need to re-do to fix this problem).

38 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

I think your problem is not understanding why you're doing those steps. Look:

1) The map you've created in Doom Builder is not ready to use ingame.

2) You need to put this map into special tool "MAKEIMG" to create addition files for the game.

3) When you've created those files you need to put them into required folders. LCD file goes to "SNDMAPS" folder, all other files goes to "MAPDIR" folder.

4) After that you need to make game understand that you want to run your own map.

5) For that you need to run "MAKE PSX DOOM CD.bat", wait until it finish work

6) You will see 3 new files. One of them is PSXDIR.txt - that's file you need now for game patching

7) Place this txt into "ABIN" folder, run PSXHACKING.exe inside this "ABIN" folder

8) Finally you can create the updated game file for emulator

9) Just run AGAIN "MAKE PSX DOOM CD.bat", press "y" for "yes, replace the existed files"

10) Ok, now you can run your new game files

I hope that will help you to understand what you need to do.

P.S.: There is the automated bat file provided few pages ago, but I don't use it because it doesn't work for me (and because I'm not understanding what exactly I need to re-do to fix this problem).

So I literally did everything right and was a complete moron to not run the .cue this ENTIRE time... just shows you how smart I am XD

Also when running my test version of the map, I get an interesting error: "CACHE MISS ON LUMP 701"

9 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

If you need more music, would it be possible to get or recreate midi versions of the bonus tracks from the extended soundtrack? Maybe it'd help to consult @Aubrey Hodges himself.

I'm not sure if that could be done. While he said he followed the same style as those tracks, I know he said he was using better samples and the like, so I doubt they follow the PS1 version's audio format - they'd have to be converted to it, and some things may not be possible to convert due to limits of the PS1's SPU chip or whatnot.

What would be theoretically more likely is making new tracks using the existing samples (or possibly new ones), if/when @Gerardo194's stuff on reverse-engineering the music format gets released to the public. Essentially you'd sequence it like a MIDI, pick your sounds, and then it'd be able to be saved into a file that could be used and run by the PS1 Engine.

What Aubrey did was great, but well, helping us also kinda opens the can of worms to "Can you give us the ones for Doom 64/Quake 64/Quake II N64?" as well, since they're all fairly similar soundtracks. (And in Doom 64's case, a soundfont from its sounds already gets made by Doom 64 EX.)

Considering they're based on the PS1 version, how long until this stuff is made to apply to the Saturn and Doom 64, I wonder... granted, the music wouldn't apply to the Saturn version at least; that was all redbook audio on the CD.

You can remove my name from the list of maps, I am not interested in this project anymore. Thanks

OK @Kloki38. We'll remove it later, we're sorry to hear you're gone. If you were interested again, we gladly will add you.

-Gerardo.

Edited by Gerardo194

@Gerardo194 Well you two need to keep it up. This is some pretty advanced hax, and while it's not quite "reimplementing the engine on PC" a la an effort like Doom 64 EX or Calico, theoretically if you reverse it enough to the point you could reconstruct a source based upon your findings, that becomes entirely possible and pretty interesting if for no reason other than technical ones (since obviously most people who want to play it will play the GZDoom TC - but obviously that allows more freedom, as opposed to sticking to the hard limits of the PS1 engine. Kinda like D64: Absolution was back in the day - close, but not quite.)

As a little reward, have a new screenshot of my work on Open Season. It seems this base has gotten rather derelict since the invasion happened and has switched into low-power mode...

image.png.b1cbcda74ba7f3f16cfcc5693ad20978.png

Not much else to do on it, really. I'm making some slight enhancements to the level, but it should be finished fairly soon.

Lastly, can I get a reply from you or @Erick194 as to if it's possible to assign a song to your map (even if it's "not now, but eventually")? Definitely don't want Bells of Agony on Open Season, but ideally I wanted to run through a few candidates before I decided on a final one (even though I've already got a frontrunner in mind).

On 6/24/2018 at 10:04 AM, CoTeCiO said:

I don't know if anybody knew about this, but in PSX Doom, for the secret exits, you have to assign which map that exit is going to by the tag number. So, for example, in MAP03, the secret exit has a tag of 56, so it goes to MAP56, if you change the tag to 55, it goes to MAP55 and so. This can be potentially exploited to make a better level progression.

EDIT 2: Actually, for the secrets maps to return to the normal maps, they have to have a secret exit pointing back to the corresponding map, for example, MAP56 has a secret exit with a tag of 4, so it goes to MAP04, otherwise it would continue to MAP57.

If I understand correctly, with those secret exit tags there is possibility to make hub map which leads to other maps, and then return to main hub.

I wanna to try simple hub-system (just for experiment) but another issue is brewing here: I can't add more than first map. I've specified all files and paths in CD.xml (like map02.wad, mapspr02.img, e.t.c.) and put them in right folders, but I get black screen right after game starts. Moreover I have "W OpenMapWad: invalid map iwad id" even when I've changed map01 slot to map02 slot. The file header is IWAD, not a PWAD btw. @Gerardo194 maybe you'll explain what's up, or just we are not supposed to make maps for multiple slots with that image?

1 minute ago, riderr3 said:

If I understand correctly, with those secret exit tags there is possibility to make hub map which leads to other maps, and then return to main hub.

I wanna to try simple hub-system (just for experiment) but another issue is brewing here: I can't add more than first map. I've specified all files and paths in CD.xml (like map02.wad, mapspr02.img, e.t.c.) and put them in right folders, but I get black screen right after game starts. Moreover I have "W OpenMapWad: invalid map iwad id" even when I've changed map01 slot to map02 slot. The file header is IWAD, not a PWAD btw. @Gerardo194 maybe you'll explain what's up, or just we are not supposed to make maps for multiple slots yet?

Yep, exactly, that's a possibility! Or a secret map within a secret map within a secret map. Or a trap that returns you to the beginning of the same map, or send you back to the first one, or skip to the last one. Possibilities are endless! :D

I tried adding more maps to this but I got a Loading screen lock after beating MAP01. You can edit the CD.xml file to add the rest of the files, but so far no luck getting them to work. Apparently the version we got is restricted to just one map.

Oooo I'm so close to start my play testing phase but...

PSXIssue3.png.b84bb9a0146751fa94b3248d843fbb66.png

Sorry if I keep having to ask questions, this is the first time I've ever done a project that involves using a different game engine entirely.

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Oooo I'm so close to start my play testing phase but...

PSXIssue3.png.b84bb9a0146751fa94b3248d843fbb66.png

Sorry if I keep having to ask questions, this is the first time I've ever done a project that involves using a different game engine entirely.

"P Loadblocks: data failure" - an error probably associated with maptex**. img, mapspr**. img or map**. lcd. Also remember to use the PSXDOOM.WAD from PSX Final Doom, when creating maps for PSX Final Doom. Also I hope you're not forgot to download updated tools from first page of this thread. Run build.bat and it will compile image.

And better post errors in text form instead of screenshot, it can help other people to find same case and fix the error. Searching errors in this thread also helps.

Also expect more other errors after this. Especially with this map...

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Huh. So which map should I make Go2It direct to since it's a super secret map in normal Plutonia?

I think that this is the least important issue at the moment. It would be discussed later when most of maps will be done.

Build.bat? Is that from one of the newest revisions of the tools? If so, which one?

Edit: I also noticed that in the GZDB-GEC's error screen, apparently I don't have an IWAD despite using the .pk3 files provided. Could this be why I'm having errors?

Edit 2: What is "Lump 701"? I keep crashing with "CASH MISS ON LUMP 701"

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

21 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Build.bat? Is that from one of the newest revisions of the tools? If so, which one?

Edit: I also noticed that in the GZDB-GEC's error screen, apparently I don't have an IWAD despite using the .pk3 files provided. Could this be why I'm having errors?

Edit 2: What is "Lump 701"? I keep crashing with "CASH MISS ON LUMP 701"

Lump number 701 in PSXDOOM.WAD is SPOSA1A8, so your map is crashing when it tries to load that sprite, but it doesn't find it in MAPSPR01. Make sure you're using the latest versions of the tools, as I assume, by you asking that question about build.bat, that you are not. If I remember correctly, the first version of one of the tools had a problem with the sprite cache that led to that cache miss error in some ocassions.

Redownload everything from the OP, extract everything in one directory, place your map file in the "WIP maps" folder, make sure your map file is called MAP01.WAD before running build.bat. That file will do all the dirty work for you and leave you with the cue-bin file ready to run.

SPOSA2A8.png

Wait? the FORMER SARGENT? My map has no sargents! XD

Also it turns out I did have the latest build, I just didn't check the WIP maps folder like a dunce :S

To quote Jon-Tron:

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD :D

PSXWIN1.png.85870a26ff19d8c45d28594b015d30f5.png

Also I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume the glitchy skybox is because I have too many textures loaded into the map.

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

@DynamiteKaitorn I'm not sure why you're having so much problems. I'll try to explain this step-by-step to make it as painless on you as possible.

1. Download all four sets of tools from the initial post. Yes, all four.
  2. Fire up the modified GZDoom Builder, and open up your map you're editing (either one you've already begun, or one of the ones from the PSX LEVELS pack). These all contain the PC versions of the levels, but converted to PSX Doom Format.
  3. When Builder asks you for resources, feed it one of the PK3s from the PSX_PK3 folder - either PSXDOOM.PK3 or PSXFINALDOOM.PK3 as appropriate.
  4. Do your mapping. Make sure you're selecting to load it as a PSXDoom map format. (NOT Doom/Boom/Eternity/GZDoom.) Edit as you need to, and make sure you fit within the VRAM limits (so no more than 16 flats, and keep an eye on your texture usage via the VRAM Viewer mode). Make sure you set it to load MAP01 via the Map Options (F2).
  5. Save the WAD inside Tools and Projects/WIP maps/<Doom> or <Final> depending on if you're editing/making a map for Doom or Final Doom, and rename it to map01.wad as well. For example, mine looks like this (ignore the map06 stuff, that was before I renamed it): image.png.0eeb75dbc47e8f3230e659ef21fd08f3.png
  6. Double-Click Build.bat in Tools and Projects/WIP maps/<Doom> or <Final>. Answer yes to everything if it asks you (it's overwriting the previous build). This will generate the proper MAP01.WAD (or MAP01.ROM if Final Doom), MAPSR01.IMG, MAPTEX01.IMG, and MAP01.LCD, plus do the EXE and patching and all that good stuff, and build an ISO out of it.
  7. Lastly, depending on your emulator, do one of the following:
  8. EPSXE: Go to File -> Run ISO, then go to Tools and Projects -> Projects CD -> <DOOMPSX> or <FINALPSX> as appropriate, and load either PSXDOOM.CUE or PSXFINALDOOM.CUE. The emulator should show a little controller prompt, then after a few seconds, the game will load.
  9. XEBRA: Go to File -> Open -> CD-ROM Image, then go to Tools and Projects -> Projects CD -> <DOOMPSX> or <FINALPSX> as appropriate, and load either PSXDOOM.BIN or PSXFINALDOOM.BIN. (Xebra doesn't do as well with loading ISOs off Cuesheets). Lastly, go to Run -> Power(1), and it should show a Shift-JIS rendering of the Playstation logo if it's worked. The game will then load.

As a bonus, you can cut down on reload time, as well: Simply save and edit your map, rebuild your ISO, then do Run -> Reset in either emulator to reload the new ISO, with your fresh map changes baked in.

One thing to be careful of: You may get Z_MALLOC errors if your MAPSPR01.IMG is too big (it needs to be no more than 800kb or so). You can check the size of this after you build the CD by going into Tools and Projects -> Projects CD -> <DOOMPSX> or <FINALPSX> -> CD -> PSXDOOM -> MAPDIR0. If it's over 800kb, it's generally time to reduce monster variety, amount of monsters, etc.

Edited by Dark Pulse