Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

1 hour ago, Dimon12321 said:

I assume, some monster has to be substituted.

Master Edition is based on a decompilation, there's no executable hacking/DeHackEd trickery going on AFAIK, so no they wouldn't need to (in fact they've already added a few new monsters).

I wonder if we'll get NEW.WAD in Beta 5. It was found in the leaked Doom Mac source code and it is believed to be a scrapped Master Level, as its final idgames version (which was released independently from id) was listed in a document by John Romero that otherwise mostly listed Master Levels.

Edited by Individualised

4 hours ago, Trov said:

Imagine...if one more set of levels were ported, PSX Doom would come full circle.

staging_area.png

Is that a mockup? :o

@Individualised That is the first time I hear about new.wad. You would not happen to have a link for it, by any chance? I tried googling it, but even with quotation marks, I get so many irrelevant results.

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@Individualised That is the first time I hear about new.wad. You would not happen to have a link for it, by any chance? I tried googling it, but even with quotation marks, I get so many irrelevant results.

This is where I first heard about it:

That post lists the directory it can be found in.

Oh, it is not actually called "NEW.WAD". Or rather it is not the WAD's real name. That explains why I could not find anything. Thanks!

Anyway, the map is cool; it reminds me of SEWERS.wad, albeit better-designed. I would not mind it being added to the Master Levels map rotation.

8 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Map01 from D64D2, ported into PSX DOOM, modified to bring the sector count/detail level back down closer to the original Doom 64 if not less, adding the N64 3D floating discs in the start room back, and adding colored lighting based loosely around the N64 version, of course reducing texture usage too.

I know GEC PSX DOOM and PsyDoom has the gradient lighting from Doom 64 now but that would be a bit too easy.

Basing it on D64D2 takes away the issue of needing to reduce Doom 64 to PC Doom's map feature set, of course the usual conversion process of texturing and performance and monster variety for PSX remain.

Obviously a full "The Absolution" episode for PSX DOOM would be a significant undertaking but I'll see how far I can take it. I just like the novelty of the idea of the most novel and advanced console Doom game getting all of its levels stolen by the much more crude PSX DOOM, and having all of Williams' Horror Flavored Doom in one single package.

Edited by Trov

Using the Master Edition codebase as a base for a full on port of Doom 64 (complete with Doom 64-style graphics, scripting, monsters etc) would definitely be possible and would be cool to see. Hopefully Master Edition will be open sourced sometime in the future (I know GEC's decomp is open source but I don't think Master Edition is).

I think its better to leave any extra new maps outside of Master Edition. You know why, because after all tools will be released, it be more handy to use the tools in full scale for these maps (except maybe that Deadlock.wad aka NEW.WAD which are supposed to be a second secret map of PSX Final Doom, judging by the reference. But it is on GEC decision.)

2 hours ago, O4ko$0s said:

Is there an option to run on PS3

If it's jailbroken, it should be possible.

If it's not, of course not.

I've never actually participated on this site, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who did this. This is a gamechanger for playing my favorite version of the game.

Firm handshakes all around.

15 hours ago, tony_mke said:

I've never actually participated on this site, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who did this. This is a gamechanger for playing my favorite version of the game.

Firm handshakes all around.

https://github.com/Immorpher/DOOM64XE

You'll probably also like this.

12 minutes ago, PhoenixCyanFire said:

How do you even use this. This isnt a wad or a pk3. its a bin file and a music file

Ypu have to use Psydoom to run this mod for psx doom

BTB, if you just want to play PSX DOOM (and DOOM 64) on PC with modern controls, I've put together a self-contained package containing DOOM CE, engine and launcher, here: https://github.com/Kroc/PortaDOOM/releases -- Master Edition is more about bringing the PC maps (and more) to the original PSX hardware.

9 hours ago, PhoenixCyanFire said:

How do you even use this. This isnt a wad or a pk3. its a bin file and a music file

It's for PlayStation 1, so you can use an emulator like DuckStation to run it.

im playing this and i like it but i am kinda confused by the redeisgn of the lost levels

like level 11 sheol for example when i get to the room where the pc version ends i get teleported to a whle new area that looks like a cross between e3m6 and e4m3 and could easily have been its own separate map

jsut so were clear its not bad but im not sure why its there since ps1 levels are supposed to be smaller and shortere than the pc ones

7 hours ago, TMMMS said:

im playing this and i like it but i am kinda confused by the redeisgn of the lost levels

like level 11 sheol for example when i get to the room where the pc version ends i get teleported to a whle new area that looks like a cross between e3m6 and e4m3 and could easily have been its own separate map

jsut so were clear its not bad but im not sure why its there since ps1 levels are supposed to be smaller and shortere than the pc ones

Two words: Technical limitations.

This project is about bringing as much of the map into the PSX engine as we can, but there are some hard limits (especially in texturing and monster variety) that there's just no way to work around. There's simply not enough RAM.

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Two words: Technical limitations.

This project is about bringing as much of the map into the PSX engine as we can, but there are some hard limits (especially in texturing and monster variety) that there's just no way to work around. There's simply not enough RAM.

thats why im confused

if there are so many limitations to work around why make the map longer than the pc version by having the player teleport to a brand new open air area to go thru where you have to get the yellow card and then the blue card in order to return to trigger the final ambush and reveal the ending

ahgain this is not really criticism i like the new area just fine but i dont understand why its there

and while were talking about the sheol ps1 remake i think one of the secrets must be glitched because i can only get 8 out of 9 secrets i think its the megarmor in the new open air area that can only be access from the blue lock building by walking along the narrow ledge on the side of the building

3 hours ago, TMMMS said:

thats why im confused

if there are so many limitations to work around why make the map longer than the pc version by having the player teleport to a brand new open air area to go thru where you have to get the yellow card and then the blue card in order to return to trigger the final ambush and reveal the ending

ahgain this is not really criticism i like the new area just fine but i dont understand why its there

How much times we should repeat this... It is not a brand new area, it is official deathmatch portion of the map. It just unlocked for singleplayer (with some added things) to compensate the fact that is many other maps has simplified areas or even cut areas. As well as added Arachnotrons and Pain Elemental to Doom 1 levels is to compensate less monster variety on other maps. Remember official Doom on PSX and Mancubi on Tower of Babel as well brand new level Redemption Denied just for using Spider Masterminds.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

How much times we should repeat this...

i did search sheol on this thread beforehand but found no explanation and the map doesnt seem to have its own entry on doom wiki

it didnt occur to me that this was a deathmatch arena since i dont play deathmatch and also ps1 maps tend to make maps shorter and smaller

either way sorry about this but you have to understand that i had no way to knowing this

as i said im fine with the new area i was just confused but now i know why that is thank you

Not that you all don't have enough on your plate, but I wondered if you'd ever considered giving Hexen the PSX Doom-style colored lighting treatment? Hexen was released for PSX without colored lights, but I've always thought it would have looked amazing with them.

On 3/27/2024 at 2:10 AM, janiform said:

Not that you all don't have enough on your plate, but I wondered if you'd ever considered giving Hexen the PSX Doom-style colored lighting treatment? Hexen was released for PSX without colored lights, but I've always thought it would have looked amazing with them.

PSX Hexen also missing levels from Deathkings of the Dark Citadel episode... just a reminder.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

PSX Hexen also missing levels from Deathkings of the Dark Citadel episode... just a reminder.

Deathkings only came out eight months before PS1 Hexen itself did, and considering how PS1 (and Saturn) Hexen are based on the Retail Demo version, it'd likely been in development even before that.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:10 AM, riderr3 said:

Good point! A complete, PSX-ified Hexen would be really cool.