Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

HAHAHA, I DID IT!!!

iJKIFOa.jpg

BTW, the Playstation version of this Tower is BIGGER than PC. PC Ceiling Height is 1344, Playstation is 1472. Because the PSX makes everything...smaller? Anyway, at now the tower looks the same.

This is awesome! The first time I played doom was on the PlayStation. I am a little confused though, I downloaded the tools, followed the steps in the video, and even made a working map. The problem is that I can't actually play it. When I run it on epsxe, the controller has no effect and the game just cycles through the opening video, credits and a few second demo of my map. Is this intentional or am I doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, Uroboros87 said:

When I run it on epsxe, the controller has no effect and the game just cycles through the opening video, credits and a few second demo of my map. Is this intentional or am I doing something wrong?

Does your controller work normal with the original PSX Doom?

That's strange. I'm getting soundless version of the game when I'll forgot to patch PSXDOOM.exe into NEWPSXDOOM.exe

Are you sure you've patched your .exe files? BTW, try to use the keyboard instead

I've made an automated batch file which helps build an image in a few seconds, without annoying moving and renaming files.
[Update: it's outdated, cause OP is also added batch script based on my idea]

How to do it:
-create main directory where all OP tools are located, there are will be folders Projects Cd, TOOLS, e.t.c.
-create inside the main directory subfolder "WIP maps"
-create inside the "WIP maps" subfolder "Doom" or "Final Doom", depends which game you use
-inside MAKEIMG folder also create subfolder "Doom" or "Final Doom", depends which game you use
-move contents of MAKEIMG folder to "Doom" or "Final Doom" subfolder, also paste here PSXDOOM.WAD (don't forget to use PSXDOOM.WAD from FinalDoom ABIN folder if you want to build Final Doom).

Create batch file for PSXFinalDoom (copy and paste text under spoiler to file and call is "build.bat as example").
You need to change the paths and filenames if you want to build PSXDoom, also without Doom>Final Doom map conversion.

Spoiler

:: This will build Final Doom image with non-compressed new map

copy MAP01.WAD ..
cd ..
move MAP01.WAD ..
cd ..
move MAP01.WAD "TOOLS\PSX DOOM TO FINAL"
cd  "TOOLS\PSX DOOM TO FINAL"
call DOOM2FINAL.bat

del MAP01.WAD
rename MAP01_FD.WAD MAPXX.WAD
move MAPXX.WAD ..
cd..
move MAPXX.WAD "MAKEIMG\FINAL DOOM"
cd "MAKEIMG\FINAL DOOM"
call MAKEIMG.exe

rename MAPXX.WAD MAP01.ROM
rename MAPSPRxx.IMG MAPSPR01.IMG
rename MAPTEXxx.IMG MAPTEX01.IMG
rename MAPxx.LCD MAP01.LCD

move MAP01.ROM ..
move MAPSPR01.IMG ..
move MAPTEX01.IMG ..
move MAP01.LCD ..
cd ..
move MAP01.ROM ..
move MAPSPR01.IMG ..
move MAPTEX01.IMG ..
move MAP01.LCD ..
cd ..
move MAP01.ROM ..
move MAPSPR01.IMG ..
move MAPTEX01.IMG ..
move MAP01.LCD ..
cd ..

move MAP01.ROM "Projects Cd\FINALPSX\CD\PSXDOOM\MAPDIR0"
move MAPSPR01.IMG "Projects Cd\FINALPSX\CD\PSXDOOM\MAPDIR0"
move MAPTEX01.IMG "Projects Cd\FINALPSX\CD\PSXDOOM\MAPDIR0"
move MAP01.LCD "Projects Cd\FINALPSX\CD\PSXDOOM\SNDMAPS1"

cd "Projects Cd\FINALPSX"
call "MAKE PSXDOOM CD2.bat"
copy PSXDIR.txt "CD\PSXDOOM\ABIN"
cd "CD\PSXDOOM\ABIN"
call PSXHAKING.exe
cd ..
cd ..
cd ..
call "MAKE PSXDOOM CD2.bat"

::Done.

Place this batch file to "WIP maps/Doom" (or "WIP maps/Final Doom") subfolder, here are also should be MAP01.wad which you are working on.

Launch build.bat file and that's should do it.

Then if you want rewrite the image without warning, prompt can be disabled in "MAKE PSXDOOM CD.bat" or "MAKE PSXDOOM CD2.bat", open one of those two batch files and change text to:

mkpsxiso.exe -y -lba PSXDIR.txt CD.xml

Moreover, I figured out how to use ePSXe as a "source port" in GZDB game configuration. Actually it's just launching ePSXe without gui and with specific cue file.
Game configurations>PSXDoom format>testing
Сhoose ePSXe as application. Сlean "customize parameters" and insert:

-nogui -loadbin "C:\path\to\doom\or\final\doom\cue"

Also ingame in ePSXe press F4 if you want to fast loading (it's just turning off frame limiter)

So overall, building and launching take me less than 10 seconds.

P.S.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:17 PM, marver0PS said:

I keep getting "P loadblocks: data failure" while trying load (Final Doom). Does anybody know what this error is?

It's happened to me on unedited plutonia MAP09. Later, when I changed unknown textures/flats/actions/things, it's vanished. BTW I've done with Redemption.

Edited by riderr3

I keep getting "P loadblocks: data failure" while trying load (Final Doom). Does anybody know what this error is?

I already solved it, It was because I was using the wrong PSXDOOM.WAD.

@riderr3, thanks for automating the build process, it was easily the slowest part of my workflow but I didn't get around to writing batch files myself. This will save a ton of time.

Edit: Made a tiny change to prompt for a filename, since I'm doing multiple maps, and this is working great! Now if I could just remember how to get rid of the prompts for input after each program runs...

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

6 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

@CoTeCiO that's great but we have already run edited maps on the real hardware, e.g. New Hangar map that was shown in a recent video.

Well, so far none of us could, in fact, we all have to use ePSXe because no other emulator works currently, and the reason of that is what I reported last night... or morning, pretty much, hahaha!

1 minute ago, CoTeCiO said:

Well, so far none of us could, in fact, we all have to use ePSXe because no other emulator works currently, and the reason of that is what I reported last night... or morning, pretty much, hahaha!

Awesome work ensuring this will be playable on hardware, btw.

3 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

@riderr3, thanks for automating the build process, it was easily the slowest part of my workflow but I didn't get around to writing batch files myself. This will save a ton of time.

Edit: Made a tiny change to prompt for a filename, since I'm doing multiple maps, and this is working great! Now if I could just remember how to get rid of the prompts for input after each program runs...

That is hardcoded to the programs, but with a hex editor, look for PAUSE in the EXE and replace that with 00 bytes and it will close automatically, which is very useful for the batch. You can also change which filename MAKEIMG look for that I changed from MAPxx to MAP01 since that was the file I was working for and you can also change the name of the files it generates.

So I downloaded the updated files and did the whole process again and guess what? Same issue. So after messing around with setting in epsxe I discovered that changing my controller type from dualshock to digital fixed it for me! Now I'm able to play the map :D Behold my crappy hell box!

Hell Box.jpg

@Uroboros87 glad you fixed your issue but, what's that map??? I don't know it. Looks good.

@DeXiaZ good to see what you did in Black Tower. To be honest, I've never played lost levels but when I saw that Black Tower became "short tower" I was extremely disappointed. 

Edited by Gerardo194

6 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Updates in OP. Please continue to report errors if they continue to appear, thanks.

I tried the updated tools and they are working great! Thanks!

5 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

To be honest, I've never played lost levels but when I saw that Black Tower became "short tower" I was extremely disappointed.  

Do not be very disappointed, it was an essue of mapping rules (ceiling is only 256). The Gotcha map you've seen for PSX is the same for TLL (except some color choices and flying Cubes)

BTW, blame me, I was the author of The Lost Levels' Black Tower. This is my Absolution ;)

And thank you!

UPD: I've noticed one thing in PSX Doom Builder. IF you cut monsters with "Blend Mask" marker and paste somewhere else on the map, all "Blend Mask" markers will be disabled. That's sometimes annoying

UPD2: You've never played TLL? You should check Wolfenstein secret maps in TLL

Edited by DeXiaZ

I don't know if anybody knew about this, but in PSX Doom, for the secret exits, you have to assign which map that exit is going to by the tag number. So, for example, in MAP03, the secret exit has a tag of 56, so it goes to MAP56, if you change the tag to 55, it goes to MAP55 and so. This can be potentially exploited to make a better level progression.

I don't know if that has any limitations, like being usable only in maps that are supposed to have secret exits or something, I'll keep experimenting with it.

EDIT: It works on any map! I tried exiting to 60 to see if you could trigger the game ending or something, but unfortunately, it just locks the game at the loading screen, so I guess the last map of the Lost Levels has to be MAP54, unless the guys find another way to bypass that.

EDIT 2: Actually, for the secrets maps to return to the normal maps, they have to have a secret exit pointing back to the corresponding map, for example, MAP56 has a secret exit with a tag of 4, so it goes to MAP04, otherwise it would continue to MAP57.

Edited by CoTeCiO

3 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

EDIT: It works on any map! I tried exiting to 60 to see if you could trigger the game ending or something, but unfortunately, it just locks the game at the loading screen, so I guess the last map of the Lost Levels has to be MAP54, unless the guys find another way to bypass that.

EDIT 2: Actually, for the secrets maps to return to the normal maps, they have to have a secret exit pointing back to the corresponding map, for example, MAP56 has a secret exit with a tag of 4, so it goes to MAP04, otherwise it would continue to MAP57.

Same system works with Doom 64. To be honest, if you know how to map for Doom 64 - you know about features for PSX Doom. Except MACROS (it's only implemented as Tag666, etc)

I've found an unusual bug:

U2yRDcQl.png

This texture with Satyr (or Creepy Guy with beard) is vertically inverted for some reason. I see this as possibility to create few more tricks with textures, but I don't know what causes that.

9 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

Bear in mind that the objective of this project isn't having all the fnished levels for just one CD, as the maps slots cannot be exceeded in the PSXDOOM.exe. I've tried this and had no results. By the time all of the maps are finished, the game will have a menu screen which you will choose your wished game to play, those are: Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, TNT and Plutonia, each one with their respective PSXDOOM.exe and maps.

Did some work on Power Control. Monster variety is WAY down, but I’ve kept a lot of the light sourcing that I cut for Lost Levels. It just didn’t actually matter. The central  area with the “turbines” runs terribly at the moment but the frame rate everywhere else is solid.

While I'm still working with "Black Tower", can I "claim" for "The Sewers" map? From Plutonia?

P.S.: What about E1M10 "Sewers" and Map33 "Betray" maps?

P.P.S.: Will "Wolfenstein" and "Grosse" maps be like @BaronOfStuff did?

4 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

While I'm still working with "Black Tower", can I "claim" for "The Sewers" map? From Plutonia?

P.S.: What about E1M10 "Sewers" and Map33 "Betray" maps?

P.P.S.: Will "Wolfenstein" and "Grosse" maps be like @BaronOfStuff did?

"The Sewers" map is yours now. Regarding the E1M10 "Sewers" and Map33 "Betray" maps, possibly, I'm not sure yat.

Wolfestein and Grosse are not gonna be the same as TLL, they're going to be similar to PC or Atari Jaguar versions. Also Wolfenstein textures will be added in the future. 

3 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Bear in mind that the objective of this project isn't having all the fnished levels for just one CD, as the maps slots cannot be exceeded in the PSXDOOM.exe. I've tried this and had no results. By the time all of the maps are finished, the game will have a menu screen which you will choose your wished game to play, those are: Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, TNT and Plutonia, each one with their respective PSXDOOM.exe and maps.

Oh, I see! But still, this enables us to have the secret exit in Slough of Despair, for example, in case you want to follow the level progression from the original Lost Levels. Finally something where the PSX version is more versatile than Vanilla!! The things I struggle the most are the limited memory for the textures and the alignment glitches.

Plutonia MAP09 nearly complete. I've only need to figure out how to make textures not stretching when lift is lowering (SSG area). Fixed it.

Screens:
In the main hall some sectors were conjoined. Two "pillars" are removed. Helped to get rid of slowdown.
1UrjRYO.jpg

Not much changes here.
jbSdvs2.png

Final area have few slowdown, along with a crusher area.
But actually some PSX Final Doom maps have slowdowns like this, such as "Aztec".
lm66l1j.png

Overall, the layout is mostly close to PC counterpart. At least no "barriers" were added. Compressed map size is 60kb, if it have 1kb more, ZMALLOC crash will happen.

Edited by riderr3

14 hours ago, Erick194 said:

So is the plan to insert our conversions between the stock (Final) Doom maps, copying the PC order? If so, I recommend ensuring a good sense of progression when it comes to things like skies and monster usage.