Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

I don't think New Hangar should actually be removed. Put it into a secret slot instead.

Also, is the OG PSX Doom maps going to be playable? Just asking because I want to play this alongside OG PSX Doom maps. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question; I skipped right to the beta maps in the selection screen.

I'm making a PSP release, but also creating a batch script to automate the process (so PSP releases could be done simultaneously and not have to wait on me). It would be working but I can't get it to work without a CCD file, and whilst you can convert CUE files to CCD, I've not found a command-line tool to do this (they all rely on GUIs). @Erick194 Could you output a CCD/IMG file as part of your process, or otherwise know of a method of converting CUE to CCD or CUE/BIN to IMG/CDD?

preview.png

@Kroc You can make icon0 80x80 as it's standard icon size for PS1 classic games on PSP.
Also it's good to add information image with description (pic0).

Edited by riderr3

I think people will know what they're downloading / playing; the information image is always ugly and adds nothing actually worthwhile. Also, I find it suits the PSP better to make the game icon 144x80 to fit other PSP-specific games on the system rather than standing out. I've converted many of my games to PSP with custom graphics and the best looking, most consistent format is to use just the logo for the icon rather than box art, which can be too small, indistinct, and in this instance not even correct as it's a ROM hack and not the original. Anyhow, I'll try and get a PSP release together soon, Erick could always replace the graphics as he pleases -- I just want to work out the correct process needed so that PSP/Vita users can enjoy everybody's hard work!

image.png

image.png

image.png

On 8/28/2018 at 9:47 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

E3M9_Oddity_1.png.1df9f34d965e4eb41902930943c6c664.png

Not very noticeable but on the right side of this image a weird "leaking" effect is going on. Doesn't seem to affect gameplay though.

Yeah, I noticed that when I ported the map, but I didn't want to make the area smaller or something just to get rid of that little thing. It doesn't affect gameplay, it's just a bit annoying.

What a fitting name. Mill. Because I've been really working this map against the grindstone and it STILL keeps spitting out issues! In fact now it's thrown a tantrum and started FUSING TEXTURES!

Mill_Pic_1.png.8d2b82e7ce2db40ef364e4d0141a255c.png

I decided to try and lower the entire blue room so that it reduces the amount of stretching in multiple locations around the map.

Mill_Pic_2.png.96aa6d046450f8dac850634fa6fea343.png

This room has some weird effect where the walls decided they didn't want to load. I thought there were too many textures so i stripped mill even further than I already did.

Mill_Pic_3.png.5fa184344181531ec9f31266d73e7877.png

Turns out mill is throwing one HELL of a bleedin' Tantrum! Seriously how did FLATS appear on WALLS BEFORE ZDooM? OwO

I can't get the beta to work with ePSXe. It'll just hang up on the loading screen. Not sure what the problem is. Does anyone recommend a better program to test in?

EDIT: No luck with other programs, even with a BIOS, the .bin won't work with ePSXe either. Not sure what the problem is. I couldn't find any clarification in the OP.

Edited by Job

It's strange, I've tested it on ePSXe, pcsxr and xebra and it loads correctly.

Remember that the emulators (ePSXe, pcsxr), you have to load the .cue file in the "RUN ISO" tab.
and if you use xebra you use the "Open-> CD-ROM Image" tab to load the game but this time select the .bin file

15 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

also with ePSXe make sure you set overclock to 1x.

I'm not sure if it's a configuration issue or what, but it looks like that's the only option available to me. The rest are grayed out. I'm going to try Erick's suggestions. I'm just surprised it got to the loading screen, instead of simply not initializing. 

I decided to remove the slime water texture... then this happened:

Mill_Pic_4.png.cbf571dd06a2ced066d72e7818f0ae64.png

So after even MORE stripping, I finally managed to get the textures to render without going haywire!

Thanks, @Erick194, your suggestion worked. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get an XBox one controller (which has native Windows support) to work with ePSXe? It looks like the program won't recognize it.

1 hour ago, Job said:

Thanks, @Erick194, your suggestion worked. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get an XBox one controller (which has native Windows support) to work with ePSXe? It looks like the program won't recognize it.

I've never tried it with an XBONE controller but, have you tried setting the controller to xinput in the joypad settings?

4 hours ago, Uroboros87 said:

I've never tried it with an XBONE controller but, have you tried setting the controller to xinput in the joypad settings?

I'll have to give that a try. 

Edit: xinput doesn't work. 

Does anyone know if the bin allows for cheat code inputs, or do I have to enable it somehow? 

I remember having problems with the controller when I first started. I think I fixed it by changing the controller to digital. Im using a PS3 sixaxis controller with drivers that tricks windows into thinking its an xbox 360 controller. Here is a screenshot of my settings.

Joypad.jpg

To answer your second question, I was able to input cheats without any problems.

Before I used a generic pc control which is already damaged, now I use my ps4 control.

But the emulators are not very good at reading the buttons, so download this DS4Windows, programmed the ps4 buttons, as if they were PC keys and in the emulator I program it with the keys that are programmed in the control. as if I were programming the emulator with the keyboard, but the ps4 control will make the function of those buttons.

I wanted to follow up and let you know I found a different XBox One controller, an aftermarket one, and it worked just fine. I've been getting to play the beta with a controller, awesome. :)

Anyway, I've just been jumping around the levels and noticed that the texture above the first area you exit in Storage Area is either stretching or misaligned slightly on the vertical axis. Also, I got a zmalloc error after I died on Fear and then attempted to respawn. I have a screen shot of the error if anyone is interested.

Edit: I confirmed that I can reproduce this error in Fear consistently. 

Edited by Job

As @riderr3 said, it is a mistake that happens in the UV difficulty, in others it does not happen, but I have it repaired for the next beta, also in an error in cyberden, when leaving the level it will not guide you to the next level, since that has the action "124: W1 Exit Level (goes to secret level)" with the tag 0.

I found that some of the mid bar textures weren't set as impassable in Fear. I also found the lower textures in the second, long revenant multi switch room in Cyberden were glitching out. 

Edit: maybe I'm being picky, but the texture above the large entryway in the "stables area" in Titan Manor is misaligned. 

Edited by Job

I found adaptation for 3D effect in The Crypt:
F5KqMxC.png
View to outside:
iE4Z0Lh.png

In Steel Works some additional monsters were added to compensate for the missing:
5cskiuG.jpg
Translucent windows:
xoOAsmi.png

Along with updated maps:

Garrison:
-fixed stretched texture on one of the metal beams
-now it's easier to get a yellow key - just jump down, because previously it was too annoying due to PSX Doom collision system
-reversible textures on the outside on some rock walls are corrected
-the textures on metal beams are changed, they now correspond to the sizes

Abattoire:
-in the final room, the chaingunners are replaced with imps, for difficulty purposes. Even with controller it's being too stressfull before
-slowdown in the final room is reduced - optional niches are removed
-heights in couple of rooms is reduced - this improved performance and get rid of stretchings (how did I missed those before? Probably too dark or not noticeable)
-fixed some sector colorings

Titan Manor:
-the brick texture near the stables is aligned, and also another above the stables
-reversible texture in the doorway near the red key is corrected

Edited by riderr3

On 8/31/2018 at 11:28 PM, Job said:

I can't get the beta to work with ePSXe. It'll just hang up on the loading screen. Not sure what the problem is. Does anyone recommend a better program to test in?

EDIT: No luck with other programs, even with a BIOS, the .bin won't work with ePSXe either. Not sure what the problem is. I couldn't find any clarification in the OP.

Having this exact issue on real hardware. Sits at the loading screen after the game selection screen. Running on an EU console but my boot disc has PAL/NTSC override.

58 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Having this exact issue on real hardware. Sits at the loading screen after the game selection screen. Running on an EU console but my boot disc has PAL/NTSC override.

This is going to sound silly, but my solution was pretty simple, with ePSXe at least. When you click the execute, select run ISO and then choose the .cue file and it should run okay. 

Anyone having trouble getting past the loading screen (which is due to CD-DA track 2 not being detected) through an emulator... I highly recommend the CD-ROM plugin "Mooby2 cd disk image driver" for ePSXe (1.6.0). After installing the plugin, go to "Run CDROM" and then choose the ISO file. Or there's also "MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD Manager" which mounts the ISO.

Edited by machine_devil

6 hours ago, scalliano said:

Images for PS1 are needs to be written to CD-R, at the slowest speed 2х-4x, without multisession in Mode2/ХА (Mode2/XA is also CD-ROM XA that is Compact Disc Read Only Memory eXtended Architecture)

Edited by riderr3

18 hours ago, scalliano said:

real hardware

@Job: See above.

@riderr3: The data mode is handled by the .CUE file. It launches, but hangs after the doom_beta/final_beta selection menu. Has anyone actually got ingame running this on a real PS1?

Edited by scalliano

It also works really well in Mednafen. In case anybody wants a quick and easy guide to running this:

1) download and unpack mednafen

2) put your legally sourced psx bios in /firmware folder

3) put the bin and cue file of PSX Doom Master Edition in the main folder

4) you can run the game two ways:

4.1) easier but less elegant: just drag and drop the .cue file on mednafen.exe

4.2) slightly more work: make a shortcut off mednafen.exe, go into its properties and add PSXDOOM_BETA1.cue on the end of the Target like this:

Clipboard01.jpg.5e832c8e99667b1271b83dd08691a27c.jpg

and click "apply"

5) now just run the thing, and after the logos will end, push alt + shift 1, now you are configuring the controls, you can use either gamepad or keyboard. Notice that you need to press each button/key twice, also for the rapid fire for all four main buttons.

6) that's it. Hopefully. Alt+Enter toggles the fullscreen.

Great job, everyone! I wonder if there will appear some bootleg pirate release of this somewhere in Eastern European markets, like Doom Forever.