Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

5 hours ago, Erick194 said:

I do not know why they did it, but in the Search type option: there are these two options "Sidedef Texture (Any)" and "Sector Flat (Any)". which allows to change everything in "Upper, Lower and Middle" and "Floor and Ceiling".

My bad, those options are not on "top" of list, I'm blind. Anyway, thanks.

@RonLivingston, I'm sorry if it sounds rude, but maybe you're will read about some PSX mapping rules before starting doing things? I see you're asking too much questions that already were explained by GEC earlier before you even claimed a first map.

I'll remind you that the sector height should be maximum 256 points to stretch textures in good way. If your sector is taller - you need to use some tricks with additional mini-sectors or reduce the height of the sector to 256 points.

BTW, don't forget to check flags "upper/lower unpegged" + don't forget to check Y axis parameters of textures. The last PSX Builder supports "true visual mode" so you can see all bugs and you can fix them without compiling the map.

21 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

I'll remind you that the sector height should be maximum 256 points to stretch textures in good way. If your sector is taller - you need to use some tricks with additional mini-sectors or reduce the height of the sector to 256 points.

I've already learned the texture offset fixing and the upper lower unpegged as well as keeping the sectors height to the limit of 256, but thanks anyway

Just a quick point. One of the key complaints about PSX Doom was the frequent FPS drops. Modern PS emulators can do CPU Overclocking, to attain consistent 30fps. Reminder that the original DOS Doom ran at just 35 fps.

Beetle PSX - CPU Overclocking - Locked 30fps in Doom PSX

DOOM (PSX) - PCSXR-PGXP/Pete'sOGL2 xBRZ TWEAK + CPU overclock x2.0

Edited by Sevmura : more detail.

^^^
That's interesting but the first priority will be given to optimizing maps for stable work on real hardware.

Edited by riderr3

Epsxe has that feature also. Though when i overclocked it, the music and sound effects we're also sped up. I dont know if it's just an issue with epsxe since I didnt notice the speed up in those videos.

16 hours ago, riderr3 said:

^^^
That's interesting but the first priority will be given to optimizing maps for stable work on real hardware.

Of course. Ideally there'd be a PSX Doom Sourceport, but since that hasn't happened, CPU OC can at least maintain consistent fps.

13 hours ago, Uroboros87 said:

Epsxe has that feature also. Though when i overclocked it, the music and sound effects we're also sped up. I dont know if it's just an issue with epsxe since I didnt notice the speed up in those videos.

They all implement it differently. Try newer versions of epsxe, or try those other emulators.

Some news about my "Betray" map:

Well, it's almost finished, lol.

@riderr3 mancubi AND revenants are SAVED. Both of them exist in this map, yay. (IMPOSSIBRU!!1111)

2T6Q33d.png

z6ihJL1.jpg

I did some improvements to make this map less shitty like I also did it in The Lost Levels. AND the Cross scene is now really complete, thanks to fake 3d feature:

LuQDq1w.png

BUT also I have this problem:

YW5B7Q6.png

I wanted to clip this middle texture, but Builder says that's only for Final Doom. This map is for Ultimate Doom, so that doesn't working. I've decided to create fake ceiling instead. In Doom Builder it looks fine, but ingame this bug is also appear.

Edited by DeXiaZ

Here are the comparison between unedited Earth Base and PSX version. Just look at the linedefs numbers. But it looks decent on PSX with colored sectors and translucent windows. I keep original progression with reducing optional stuff. Sound tunnels is removed because of conjoining sectors. Also blank texture used instead of dummy border sectors.

9HVSoiK.png
tJD2Iuv.png

Qr0E0yG.jpg

JDPjjhs.jpg

qbnlore.png

Also I've uploaded vids, but anyways the Earth Base is outdated cause I've added arachnotrons here.

Edited by riderr3

Well I think I just went a little insane... seriously this crash made me laugh XD

ToM_PIC_04.png.efb34b45ff3d13f3a2f902bb50b905a7.png

What makes less sense is, this map BARELY has any textures at all, observe:

Before:

ToM_PIC_01.png.e4a0cdf46408c4db043212824728ad5e.png

After:

ToM_PIC_05.png.89e688483a15bb5575114093044d5f94.png

Anyways, here's a few screenshots:

ToM_PIC_02.png.8ac7ffeaff750fa1c405e9069ab5a4a7.png

S T A I R S !

ToM_PIC_03.png.f7bbdfa972c45fe7f825301628232d69.png

So I heard you needed some enemies to be nightmare variants... okay ;)

^^^
"Texture cache overflow" it's not necessary related to textures. This error even happened sometimes on official PSX Doom maps like Suburbs and Perfect Hatred.

NM Cyber is more appropriate when more powerful weapons and lot of ammo will be given, or it will be turn to grindy battle.

You can lower the sky ceiling and player can see a bit of it, because originally it was too high and not visible.

Also possible to add more of texture variations like those skin walls and big marble faces.

Edited by riderr3

The Nightmare Cyberdemon is kinda good idea for the exact NRFTL episode (due it's a "special" Cyberdemon like beast from E2M8), but this map NEEDS much more ammo just because his health is 8000 hp instead of normal 4000 hp. That's extremely hard

I'm loving how the NRFTL maps are turning out so far. They fit quite well on the PlayStation even if they look like nightmares to port.

This is so far the first time we see the sky of knee deep in the dead with the white vision from the invulnerability sphere in the PSX Format. Almost reminds me of the sound of cold icy wind when out in the hemalayas

psxvolcano1.png

You can also see the nightmare revenant in the second screenshot

psxvolcano2.png

psxvolcano3.png

10 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Is that another Nightmare cybie I see? OwO

What about nightmare Spider Masterminds? In Master Edition there probably will be only one usual SMM at Dis. Except maybe CEG will make a surprise for us.

Also can you lower the brightness at Storage Facility? Cause if you changed it to night sky, there is too bright outside - most appropriate brightness value here is 96, as for Titan Manor. Moreover, the area before final door is more darker in original map of TNT. Also check what with sound reverbs here, because outside there is echo heard, and some inside areas did't have it.

Sure I can dim the outside lighting. I usually have to fight my TV screen when it comes to seeing though... It REALLY loves to blend colours together making it really hard to see in dark environments :l

I still see that rotating icon of circle close to my Level 8: Metal. It is in the finished state... what happened?

Don't worry, it can be fixed. GEC does not have time to cope with everything, cause they have many projects and stuff.

Hi guys, I do just want you all to know I am still alive.

I'm actually mostly done on my work with the maps I asked for (and was months ago), but stuff came up in my personal life that affected me very badly (and actually still is... hopefully for not much longer though). I'd like to get some screenshots up of them pretty soon - they've come out pretty nice I think.

I've also written some pretty detailed text files in terms of what I've changed. I don't know if everyone has done that, but I know at least for mine, I like reading stuff like author commentary and the process of changes, so that'll be a nice little bonus I suppose.

Now to read through like a dozen pages of new posts. I definitely need some release from the stress I've been under since July, so hopefully I can get some screenshots up soon. I want to re-test my maps in Xebra for performance, since one of them performed pretty lousy on ePSXe, but actually very nicely in Xebra.

I am glad that you are still standing with the maps, since you can see that the first beta was already published, at the moment I am working on the second beta, now the second beta is compatible with the mouse, it is for "finaldoom", since previously you could not access the menu if you only connected the mouse.

Hmm, two of my maps are Final Doom maps then (since I think you're using the Final Doom one for TNT), so it'd definitely be good to get them pushed out soon if I can.

Though I know I completed them both with the controller even on Ultra-Violence, so if I can do it "hard mode," a mouse would be almost too easy. :)

Though I'm not sure how to use the mouse on Xebra. ePSXe is pretty inaccurate as I've discovered.

7 hours ago, mr-around said:

I still see that rotating icon of circle close to my Level 8: Metal. It is in the finished state... what happened?

Excuse me, my mistake. But now update the list. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Hmm, two of my maps are Final Doom maps then (since I think you're using the Final Doom one for TNT), so it'd definitely be good to get them pushed out soon if I can.

Though I know I completed them both with the controller even on Ultra-Violence, so if I can do it "hard mode," a mouse would be almost too easy. :)

Though I'm not sure how to use the mouse on Xebra. ePSXe is pretty inaccurate as I've discovered.

Unfortunately, xebra does not have mouse support.

Hmm... testing my map in Xebra must've been a bit of an anomaly, I'm getting about the same FPS I got in ePSXe with Mednafen/BeetlePSX via RetroArch. Thankfully the latter at least lets me see the internal FPS, so I know what the "actual" framerate is.

Is there any target framerate we should be shooting for as a worst-case scenario? I know with my current builds of the two TNT levels, FPS can drop down to 15-10 FPS in some spots (without overclocking the emulated PS1, of course). Hanger runs pretty well save for one or two specific areas; Open Season is going to need massive rework of the pump room in order to get any faster, though.

PSX Doom is almost never going to run "flawlessly" since even in the original game, some levels struggled to hit 10 FPS, but we are definitely going to have to do some tradeoffs of speed vs. faithfulness for some of these maps.

Not sure what you guys more - a level that's as faithful as possible, or a level that's as speedy as possible on stock hardware. (Since again, an emulator can always cheat.)

The developers would alter level geometry and layout to compromise between speed and faithfulness. My opinions that this is best to keep in mind, with a bias toward speed.