Find results in...
Spectre.Charles

Rando Doom: My First Mod (Now on ModDB)

2/3/19:

I made a ModDB page for Rando Doom: https://www.moddb.com/mods/rando-doom

-

6/18/18 Updated:

Link: https://sta.sh/0m6ug2lpeb0

Now all enemies drop ammo and weapons to make some rando sessions slightly beatable.

I've added more options, but of course they don't work. I beg the DoomGodsTM above and below please help me! Or don't I'll force myself to figure out how to eventually.

-

Old Link: https://sta.sh/010tsgo13r0z

Rando Doom is a randomizer mod for GZDoom. I made it after I wanted a randomizer that didn't add anything new and had 100% random actor spawns. I decided that 100% randomness was basically unplayable so the system works like: all monster can be replaced by any monster in Doom 2, all weapons can be replaced by any weapon in Doom 2, ect.

This is a super unfinished early version, the options do not work yet because I'm a dumbass who doesn't know how to wad properly. So if you could give me tips or just recommend changes that'd be great.

There's only one new enemy/actor and it's just a recreation of the Nightmare Imp from Doom 64. In the future I plan on adding The Mother Demon and The Unmaker both from Doom 64 and whenever the Hell I figure out how to get the options work you'll be able to disable them from spawning along with any other actor, and you will have the option to disable Lost Souls, The Spider Mastermind, and/or Cyberdemon from being rando'd as to not break some maps, but for now LS are rando'd and CD and SM aren't rando'd. Oh and actors have corrected blood colors.

This is intended for Doom 2 and Final Doom because of the Doom 2 exclusive actors. Whenever you are using Doom or Freedoom: Phase 1 as an IWad I plan on adding a script that disables D2 actors whenever the fuck I learn how to disable actors from dropping/spawning. Or you could go in and comment out all the Doom 2 actors...

I tested this in GZDoom with compatibility mode set to Doom Strict so there might be some problems with playing this with GZDoom's default settings! Also you should disable autosaves, because if you save then die the dice aren't rolled again so you'll keep getting the same stuff.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180617_050257.png.19b5a12c4a5efca1444b58a368d7c1bf.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180617_050327.png.710c224ef9a3bae9ee6d29cd739c53bf.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180617_050404.png.9568ee27c8bcc01105652a646508c388.png

Nightmare Imp:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180617_051320.png.4394d605093c779d80409b89484e7b8d.png

// Nightmare Imp
ACTOR NiteImp : Doomimp 3007
{
	+SHADOW
	RenderStyle OptFuzzy
	Alpha 0.5
	SpawnID 155
	Health 60
	Speed 13
	PainChance 200
	MeleeDamage 3
	Species "NiteImp"
	SeeSound "imp/sight"
	PainSound "imp/pain"
	DeathSound "imp/death"
	ActiveSound "imp/active"
	MeleeSound "imp/melee"
	MissileType "NiteImpBall"
	Obituary "$OB_IMP"
	HitObituary "%o couldn't take on the Nightmare Imp!"
	MONSTER
	+FLOORCLIP
	+MISSILEMORE
	+MISSILEEVENMORE

States
	{
  Missile:
	TROO EF 8 A_FaceTarget
	TROO G 6 A_CustomMissile("NiteImpBall")
	Goto See
	}
}
ACTOR NiteImpBall : DoomImpBall 3008
{
	Speed 15
	FastSpeed 25
}

I recommend setting fuzz effect to software so you get that vanilla Spectre effect on things that are rendered fuzzy such as the Nightmare Imps.

Edited by DepravedDiptera : Added Link to ModDB Page

Looks interesting, I would test it out if I knew how to get your link to work with Doom. Do you plan on having any mod compatibility to go with this randomization? Mods that affect gameplay like Metadoom or ones that add new weapons and monsters? You mention having options in your post but I don't know if that will cover my previous questions. I'm not too well versed when it comes to this type of Doom modding so I apologize for the barrage of question you might not have answers too at the moment.

5 hours ago, Classicgamer6 said:

Looks interesting, I would test it out if I knew how to get your link to work with Doom. Do you plan on having any mod compatibility to go with this randomization? Mods that affect gameplay like Metadoom or ones that add new weapons and monsters? You mention having options in your post but I don't know if that will cover my previous questions. I'm not too well versed when it comes to this type of Doom modding so I apologize for the barrage of question you might not have answers too at the moment.

Click on the link, then click on ZIP button and it should download the .pk3 file, then I recommend using ZDL to load it with GZDoom, but you can drag randodoom2.pk3 into GZDoom.exe and it should work.

As for compatibility with other wads, nah it won't work, since the way most wads work they replace actors with new ones and the way I set up the rando code it replaces enemies with copies of themselves (using inherit) so that they don't infinitely replace themselves resulting in them just not spawning. There's compatibility with wads that only replace sprites, textures, and maps, just not actors and newly added actors won't be rando'd at all.

The options will allow you to customize the randomization, so if a wad only replaces weapon actors and not enemy actors then you can disable weapon randomization and it should work.