Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mun

Articles 13 and 11 From The Copyright Directive Passed By The European Parliament. Major Problems Arise.

No amount of effort is going to stop this. In US, people tried to make an effort, but the net neutrality got repealed. In EU, that's going to happen exactly. People won't be able to protest against this. And even then, that law will be passed completely. I already knew beforehand that stuff like the Internet DRM, online cryptominers wouldn't be stopped from doing. And the same is going to happen here. (I'm not living in Europe through.)

5 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

The ONLY thing that could save us is that the outrage this could create coupled with the other problems the EU currently faces causes it to collapse in the next 4-8 years thus removing this law.

...and what that will cause? EU collapsing = destruction of Europe, because most of the countries over there are dependent on Euro currency. The collapse would strip most of the European countries of money, causing poverty. The result? The amount of damage done by that time would be enough to make EU users still unable to access the internet due to the lack of money, unless people are ready to exchange Euro for their national currency by that time.

Unless that law is prevented from passing, we can expect the world economy to take a hit.

Another SOPA, PIPA, Net Neutrality freak out, another day. Can't wait till people will get embarrassed after they will realize that nothing will change. lol

Just now, The_SloVinator said:

Another SOPA, PIPA, Net Neutrality freak out, another day. Can't wait till people will get embarrassed after they will realize that nothing will change. lol

I don't understand why these people want to ruin the internet. 

And how the fuck will you ban memes? People will just start spamming them to spite the lawmakers. I know I will.

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

And how the fuck will you ban memes? People will just start spamming them to spite the lawmakers. I know I will.

wow, you'll show them

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I don't understand why these people want to ruin the internet. 

Because it's the one distribution channel (news, info, entertainment etc.) they currently don't control.

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

wow, you'll show them

If enough people do it then it might send a message.

3 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Yeah, the message that apparently the algorithm developed to keep potential copyright violations in check has been more than justified.

Big money just wants to scrape the whole floor clean for itself. Everything must be centralised and fed directly into the gaping maw.

3 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

They're not going to care. The FCC got bombarded with angry memes, and they just laughed them off. 

And suddenly, after several attempts to raise awareness of this farce were deleted or locked, people start caring.

On the bright side, this will probably not be tolerated by the public. I mean I know people don't typically care about politics but that's also because they are spending all their time online in the first place. There is barely anybody under 30 who isn't glued to their phones or on the net. If the EU fucks up the internet it's going to massively alienate away huge amount of their youth support, whom they themselves are the current biggest supporters of the EU. Frankly this whole things seems like a desperate attempt to silence critics of the EU in response to the rise of populist movements across Europe. Odds are though that this will only backfire and give even more ammo to anti-EU movements.

To tell the truth, policies like these have me warming to Brexit with every passing day. If this is the sort of shit we have the potential opportunity to escape, then so be it. Just a shame that the final vote is two months before we are due to leave.

The level of bullshit in this thread is astounding.

Here's a protip: if you actually read the thing we're talking about, and understand what it means, then you'll be able to offer a more cogent argument than "don't break mah internet, i read on the internet you were gonna break the internet and thats bad because i need the internet to read the internet".

Well, the implications for things such as independent news outlets, review sites, creative works, derivative works and just fair use as a whole are pretty damn stark. The prospect of something as simple as a citation requiring a licence fee has the potential to ruin any number of smaller outlets. What we are dealing with here is a blatant power-grab by the larger corporations in a last-ditch move to remain relevant. Mainstream news, for example, has become much more sensationalized over the last decade or so as more and more people are getting their news from alternative sources (granted, those sources include places like Buzzfeed, and Buzzfeed IS bad). Articles 11 and 13 threaten to wipe those alternative sources from the web, thus allowing the big corporations to reassert their control over the narrative. And that's before we even get into the shitshow involving the music and movie industry. As someone who is no stranger to music production and remixing, I'm deeply concerned that I will no longer be able to share large portions of my work should this be ratified. Even sites like Wikipedia could be adversely affected. Consider how much that site relies on external sources for citation and the scale of the issue becomes much clearer. So yeah, this very much does have the potential to "break thuh internet".

My opinion (please note I support net neutrality and oppose articles 11 and 13):

The internet and social media has rapidly changed the way humanity communicates with each other; and while there are many pros (a lot more than there are cons),there are also many cons. Humanity has not fully adapted to this technology, and this has done a great deal of harm.

The definition of a "friend" has changed over time; 15 years ago it meant someone you trust and would help during times of need. Even just hanging out. Now, it simply means someone who simply sees what you post on Facebook or other social media. A lot of people have over 500 Facebook friends - how many of them do they hang out with in real life? Probably 1% of that amount if that. I have a Facebook I never use and have 80 or so friends - and of those the only person I spend time with in person is my fiance. 

Because of the Internet and technology, it's much easier for me to communicate with someone whose physically a quarter or even a half million times farther than it is to communicate with my own neighbor (100 feet distance) whom I have seen once in the six months I've lived in my condo. All I need to do is post an entry on social media, a video on YouTube, or a comment on a discussion board (like this!) and I'm sure someone from India or Australia (both very far from me) will post, but the odds someone from my hometown (population 5000) is very rare.

People tend to empathize more with those they literally know in person. Thus, as a result of technology; people's ability to empathize has drastically decreased. Instead of talking face-to-face about how to improve the situation; we literally go on discussion boards or comments sections and insult each other, provoke flame wars, and troll. Ever see the comments section of a YouTube video or an ABC News article? You'll find nothing but insults, and flaming. Twenty years ago, this was virtually unheard of; and when I was a child (in the 90s), I knew both my neighbors.

In my opinion, more than anything, this is a wake-up-call to stop completely living in the virtual world; and start paying attention to the real-world. Pay attention by doing things and voting for what you believe in rather than just writing about the next fad on Facebook. While technology is a good thing and we absolutely need it in this day and age, we shouldn't be completely absorbed in it.

And which group is most affected by this? Generation Z, followed closely by Millennials.

TL;DR version: Because of technology, it's harder to communicate with people close by such as neighbors, and real life empathy has drastically decreased. Technology is good, but not when we are completely absorbed.

Edited by Pure Hellspawn

24 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

The definition of a "friend" has changed over time; 15 years ago it meant someone you trust and would help during times of need.

It still means that to me.

Off-topic, I know, but I wanted to say it either way.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

The level of bullshit in this thread is astounding.

Here's a protip: if you actually read the thing we're talking about, and understand what it means, then you'll be able to offer a more cogent argument than "don't break mah internet, i read on the internet you were gonna break the internet and thats bad because i need the internet to read the internet".

Agreed. This is similar to freaking 2012 all over again :D

1 hour ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

TL;DR version: Because of technology, it's harder to communicate with people close by such as neighbors, and real life empathy has drastically decreased. Technology is good, but not when we are completely absorbed.

That's why the net dependance is such a thing...heck, you can even see it in home...

heh...kinda offtopic :p

Edited by leodoom85

15 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Good thing that I live here where it has net neutrality. And yes, that mentalism of giving up is pathetic

I've felt like giving up multiple times. I guess I am simply tired of the BS our (and other countries) politicians are pulling. Combine that with chronic fatigue and depression, and it makes for a lot of misery.

But you're right one should not give up. As for me, I have been doing the most I can, calling representatives, signing petitions, writing letters. Even then, it is still frustrating seeing so much rampant corruption.

Thanks for helping lift my spirits. :) Let us all keep fighting for that which is right!

Here is a page that can help us call European representatives:

https://changecopyright.org/en-US/

9 hours ago, Linguica said:

wow, you'll show them

Actually, this type of tactic can work. Imagine the same thing but in the form of phonecalls. If lawmakers are constantly spammed with nonsense phone calls (and I mean SPAMMED), they will eventually start listening to the people simply to get them to stop calling.

11 minutes ago, obake said:

If lawmakers are constantly spammed with nonsense phone calls (and I mean SPAMMED), they will eventually start listening to the people simply to get them to stop calling.

I think they will just use a white list.

People here to stop comparing this to when the US ended net neutrality because this is NOTHING like that. Ending net neutrality basically just removed regulation where as this is ADDING regulation that will destroy large portions of the internet. Apples and oranges.

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

People here to stop comparing this to when the US ended net neutrality because this is NOTHING like that. Ending net neutrality basically just removed regulation where as this is ADDING regulation that will destroy large portions of the internet. Apples and oranges.

And that's where you are wrong. It didn't remove regulation; it just changed who gets to do the regulation.

The direct comparison is that both sets of legislation unfairly favour big businesses and marginalize the little guys.

12 minutes ago, scalliano said:

The direct comparison is that both sets of legislation unfairly favour big businesses and marginalize the little guys.

Nature or god or whatever you believe it made it so the strong survive and thrive while the weak die. Or as Winston Churchill says "The victors write history."

Imagine you were in a tournament with a prize of $10,000. You're in the finals and you have a massive advantage over your opponent. You can give him a fair chance, offer to split the prize (he'd accept), or use the advantage to win the $10,000. What do you do?

In other words, to understand the motives for how big businesses make so much and little business don't do as well, you have to understand the mindsets. You have to place yourself in their shoes regardless of what you think.

Just now, Pure Hellspawn said:

Nature or god or whatever you believe it made it so the strong survive and thrive while the weak die. Or as Winston Churchill says "The victors write history.".

Imagine you were in a tournament with a prize of $10,000. You're in the finals and you have a massive advantage over your opponent. You can give him a fair chance, offer to split the prize (he'd accept), or use the advantage to win the $10,000. What do you do?

yeah the strong has won and now the world is total shit

good job let's admire the megacorps as they assemble themselves on top of what used to be your house

11 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Nature or god or whatever you believe it made it so the strong survive and thrive while the weak die. Or as Winston Churchill says "The victors write history."

In other words, to understand the motives for how big businesses make so much and little business don't do as well, you have to understand the mindsets. You have to place yourself in their shoes regardless of what you think.

I'm fully aware of the concept of social Darwinism, however the concept is based on the principle that everyone starts out on an equal footing and that the strongest will rise to the top regardless. This legislation removes the equal footing from the off.