Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mun

Articles 13 and 11 From The Copyright Directive Passed By The European Parliament. Major Problems Arise.

14 minutes ago, yakfak said:

yeah the strong has won and now the world is total shit

good job let's admire the megacorps as they assemble themselves on top of what used to be your house

world's always been total shit dude. 

now tell me, what have you done to resist the megacorps? do you buy from Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc.? or do you always shop locally no matter what?

3 minutes ago, scalliano said:

I'm fully aware of the concept of social Darwinism, however the concept is based on the principle that everyone starts out on an equal footing and that the strongest will rise to the top regardless. This legislation removes the equal footing from the off.

People have never started out equally socially to begin with ever since the begin of society. In other words, a lot of your odds of success simply depend on factors you're born with. That is probably the most fucked up thing about this planet.

Edited by Pure Hellspawn

28 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

People here to stop comparing this to when the US ended net neutrality because this is NOTHING like that. Ending net neutrality basically just removed regulation where as this is ADDING regulation that will destroy large portions of the internet. Apples and oranges.

Ending net neutrality and adding internet censorship serves the same purpose, just the way the apples and oranges both share the same trait; both are fruits.

3 hours ago, scalliano said:

To tell the truth, policies like these have me warming to Brexit with every passing day. If this is the sort of shit we have the potential opportunity to escape, then so be it. Just a shame that the final vote is two months before we are due to leave.

I voted to leave because I don't like all this nonsense....

However  In this case and that of GDPR, the actual aim is to protect people's A) personal data and B) personal works (for lack of better name).

Both are perfectly genuine goals to protect people from having the piss taken out of them. Unfortunately like GDPR the implementation will be shocking, counter productive and totally confusing.

Writing to the MEP's will probably be a waste of data/ink.

We will see what happens, it might get knocked on the head as its going to be a bitter pill to swallow, GDPR replaced existing legislation (1998 act in the UK) so was easier to accept.   

21 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

People have never started out equally socially to begin with ever since the begin of society. In other words, a lot of your odds of success simply depend on factors you're born with. That is probably the most fucked up thing about this planet.

Consider the number of millionaire entrepeneurs out there who started out with nothing. All they needed was the opportunity to show what they were capable of. Now consider mow many fewer there would be had there been an endless barrage of arbitrary financial barriers placed in their path. Chances are, we wouldn't even have Windows as an operating system. With enough dedication, the opportunity for success in the developed world is there for the taking. Those in power are now attempting to take that opportunity away in order to satiate their paymasters. The implications for this legislation reaches far beyond the internet itself.

Just because the world sucks already doesn't justify making it worse.

18 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

This is terrible. The internet rights are eternal fight, because some old and greedy people, who don't know how this place works, demand to reduce already our short privileges. I'm scared more that there is a little exposure in my country as this never existed. Also they chose right timing for this due world cup football stuff and this got unnoticed by most people. 

“There are only two things the people anxiously desire: Bread and Circuses” - Juventhal

9 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

It won't shield you from the effects the rest of the world will experience.

But if the EU starts blocking non-EU sites like Doomworld for not giving in to their demands I would still be able to access it right? I mean I know the major websites might start censoring but the smaller ones probably won't because they don't want to or can't afford to do so. My biggest fear is not being able to access various game mod sites like Doomworld, zdoom, zdoom wiki, the various tool websites I buy stuff from (modo, zbrush etc). Honestly the major corporate websites are mostly soulless crap anyway.

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

But if the EU starts blocking non-EU sites like Doomworld for not giving in to their demands I would still be able to access it right? I mean I know the major websites might start censoring but the smaller ones probably won't because they don't want to or can't afford to do so. My biggest fear is not being able to access various game mod sites like Doomworld, zdoom, zdoom wiki, the various tool websites I buy stuff from (modo, zbrush etc). Honestly the major corporate websites are mostly soulless crap anyway.

There's nothing to prevent Doomworld from moving its server hosting to countries that don't give a damn about this law or similar laws.  For example, host it in South America, Asia, Oceania, or even Africa, all of which are not under the purview of this EU law.

When governments pass monumentally stupid laws like this, people will circumvent them in every way possible.  

24 minutes ago, Master O said:

There's nothing to prevent Doomworld from moving its server hosting to countries that don't give a damn about this law or similar laws.  For example, host it in South America, Asia, Oceania, or even Africa, all of which are not under the purview of this EU law.

When governments pass monumentally stupid laws like this, people will circumvent them in every way possible.  

Moving the servers to some other place else won't change anything, because the EU would just block them directly.

8 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Moving the servers to some other place else won't change anything, because the EU would just block them directly.

You can use VPNs, Proxies and all other manner of circumvention tools.  

1 hour ago, Master O said:

There's nothing to prevent Doomworld from moving its server hosting to countries that don't give a damn about this law or similar laws.

What? lol no.

3 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

just the way the apples and oranges both share the same trait; both are fruits

Well, actually, apples are pseudofruits because the flesh comes from the hypanthium rather than the ova-

*is shot*

9 hours ago, MrGlide said:

The Chinese citizens get around their censorship.

Don't know why this comment looks so funny to me ;P

Mostly in China, as a citizen, you are represented by somebody else. You have the "right" to vote, but probably in quotation marks.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Well, actually, apples are pseudofruits because the flesh comes from the hypanthium rather than the ova-

*is shot*

*gibs him with a rocket*

Both are still fruits in a normal way lol.

Back to topic:

I didn't fucking know that open-source software will be illegal by this.

Unless a miracle happens, the EU will single-handedly KILL both the internet and the open-source software. Software like Linux would have to be taken down, programs using open-source components would be required to move back to closed-source software, lots of money would have to be dumped into moving back to closed-source, companies like Microsoft, Apple and other evil corporates would get even more power over their users. The amount of damage it would cause would be irreversible.

18 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Unless a miracle happens, the EU will single-handedly KILL both the internet and the open-source software. Software like Linux would have to be taken down, programs using open-source components would be required to move back to closed-source software, lots of money would have to be dumped into moving back to closed-source, companies like Microsoft, Apple and other evil corporates would get even more power over their users. The amount of damage it would cause would be irreversible.

Sorry for not adding this in first, but:

The committee text also specifies that uploading to online encyclopaedias in a non-commercial way, such as Wikipedia, or open source software platforms, such as GitHub, will automatically be excluded from the requirement to comply with copyright rules.

Edited by mun : Whoops.

4 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Can the EU just like, Fuck off?

Yeah what are they some sort of dictatorship and figured out a way to rule the world without going to war?

As bad as it can go, the EU is still preferable to any of the alternatives.

9 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Trust me that there's no hope...

What's the point of being negative? If we sit still it'll happen anyway. We must try all options, even if it's a very slim chance.