Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mun

Articles 13 and 11 From The Copyright Directive Passed By The European Parliament. Major Problems Arise.

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

LOL, it's nothing compared to how the USA have declared that they have jurisdiction over every single person (physical or moral) who has ever touched a dollar, and/or every enterprise that has ever employed one American citizen in any role and/or used software or equipment made in America.

Did that actually happened? If so, L M A O 

I can't believe american lawmakers were trying to pass laws regarding that ridiculous shit. How the USA was going to enfroce that? They were against the creation of the International Penal Court back in 2001, their government bullied several countries against voting for it and offered shady bilateral treaties, and they couldn't prevent it. No wonder most of their citizens thinks their politicians, lawmakers and congressmen are idiots.

Not only it happened, but it's being actively reinforced through new laws extending their reach even further. It's enforced quite effectively by threatening to seize any asset located in the USA (say, money on an account in an American bank, shares of an American company, real estate property, and so on), closing off the American market, and jailing corporate executive stepping on US soil. In a globalized economy, it's a very effective threat.

https://www.businessinsider.com/r-bruised-and-grumbling-foreign-banks-bend-to-us-rules-2014-13?IR=T

And the idea is that American laws apply to the entire world, while no foreign law can be allowed to apply to Americans. Gotta keep the relationship one-way-only.

Wow. I feel like an idiot after what i said, but all things considered this isn't as bad as it sounds, it's still terrible and unfairly one sided but at least is not completely arbitrary.

Sad to see this derailed with arguments about unrelated issues; we need solidarity against these acts. The wiki has been running an action alert since the 6th and will continue to do so through tomorrow.

If the previous sessions ended up with a No. for those laws, why not a third time eh?

They can't be stupid to cut their own throats unless that proven wrong...just saying.

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

If the previous sessions ended up with a No. for those laws, why not a third time eh?

They can't be stupid to cut their own throats unless that proven wrong...just saying.

They almost ended up with a "Yes" the last time though, so I think the danger is quite the damn real.

4 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Can Brexit happen first, please?

This will not make difference anyway, unless the final vote is postponed for a good few years.

I'm not sure what can be done over this really, we can complain all we want but if those in charge want it.. Well we can expect multiple votes or the article will just get sneaked in another way. Sorry for the pessimistic view.

3 hours ago, Quasar said:

Sad to see this derailed with arguments about unrelated issues; we need solidarity against these acts. The wiki has been running an action alert since the 6th and will continue to do so through tomorrow.

What would be required to make the Doomwiki compliant? or would it just fall under a blanket ban so to speak?  

1 hour ago, Liberation said:

What would be required to make the Doomwiki compliant?

Unless someone knocks on our door with a team of consultants and an endowment, nothing that's hard to imagine. (See posts by Quasar in this thread.) All access from the EU would be blocked, and that's assuming MancuNET's hosting provider doesn't respond even more drastically.

Edited by Xeriphas1994 : grammar

"Of the 751 politicians voting on the directive today in Strasbourg, 438 voted in favour, 226 against and 39 abstained."

Can't believe this. Well, like Hudson would say, "Game over, man! Game over!"

I'm so scared. Surely we should have learnt from SOPA and ACTA. I can't believe this is all happening again.

It’s very important to understand that today’s vote does not make Article 13 or the overall European Copyright Directive law. This is about agreeing the European Parliament’s approved text for the directive, which then goes to the European Commission and its member states, with the reported goal of becoming final, passed European legislation sometime in 2019.

There is thus still potential for the text to change; for the requirements to evolve; for more lobbying both behind the scenes and very publicly on the internet. Today is certainly a victory for music rightsholders within that wider context, but it’s not the end of the story yet. Global music body the IFPI acknowledged that in its statement this afternoon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Senficon/status/1039840614307831809

40 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

So those articles were approved. Dark ages are getting closer.

Rather it can be called a digital concentration camp.

35 minutes ago, Gez said:

There is thus still potential for the text to change; for the requirements to evolve; for more lobbying both behind the scenes and very publicly on the internet.

I would not hold my breath.

I heard Bach music compositions was owned by Sony I also heard European Parliament temporarily rejected new copyright law(they started talking about it in July or August this year)named EPICA I have no idea what this shortcut means.Soon fanarts and fanmade videos and fanmade music tracks re-arrangements will be treated equally as copyright infridgement due to revivals of some old pc games I mean risky attempts of distributing some unfinished game projects also speaking of fanmade video game remakes.Will this affect and concern cosplays from movies and video games too?

Fuck everything. Especially the dumbasses who voted "yes".

52 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Bye, guys. Nice knowing you.

We will open door elsewhere and still be here ;)

Like using tor and other non blocked vpn services. This war isn't over yet.  

I guess in future rest of old school cartoons from 20's Disney original Mickey Mouse,Goofy,Donald Duck & Warner Bros. Bugs Bunny,Porky,Daffy from XX century including technicolor colourful vintage animations will be deleted from YouTube and Dailymotion.Perhaps we could get access to these old tv cartoons via Dark Net or DeepWeb someday in the future maybe even speaking of Eric Schwartz's old Amiga pc cartoons.

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

Bye, guys. Nice knowing you.

Farewell my friends.

This business doesn't seem to be getting a lot of press coverage. I think I've seen a few articles, 1 of which was in the Independent I think.

1 minute ago, NeedHealth said:

The chinese has the great firewall of china? What will the eu have if this law passes?

A gallows pole for those companies/providers etc that don't comply probably.

this is not the first, nor the last, attack against free speech and fair use of copyright on the internet.

I'm sure we'll survive. Keep in mind, the EU will collapse sometime in the near future anyway.

Edited by Xcalibur

21 hours ago, Liberation said:

This will not make difference anyway, unless the final vote is postponed for a good few years.

I'm not sure what can be done over this really, we can complain all we want but if those in charge want it.. Well we can expect multiple votes or the article will just get sneaked in another way. Sorry for the pessimistic view.

What would be required to make the Doomwiki compliant? or would it just fall under a blanket ban so to speak?  

If you're to believe the current interpretation of the Article 13 law as it has now been amended, we won't be subject to it - you have to "promote" the content you have, and we do not do that. Everything's worded just vaguely enough to let case law chisel away at what freedoms this leaves alone, though.

Article 11 however is a major problem. It has no such exception for "small" sites. Supposedly you've got to pay this "link tax" just for linking to a news article. This fundamentally breaks the Internet. We often use news articles as sources and references for our material - this is effectively denying the ability to quote sources, a fundamental part of documentation, recording of history, journalism, and free speech itself.

The final vote is still to come. We cannot let up against this in the interim.