Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mun

Articles 13 and 11 From The Copyright Directive Passed By The European Parliament. Major Problems Arise.

What did I learn from this thread about the Internet disappearing? Greece used to be a cool place to migrate to and Epica both exists and sux.

Can these new people who have come out of the woodwork go back in and stop besmirching our beautiful doomworld with their taint.

I know this is what usually uncle Google showed me when I was trying to find what epica was he found some music band instead of new copyright law.

So what's the future of it?If some bots for instance will delete some tutorials of older Epic Games game engines will it be available at least in darknet if someone will make database backup first?

On 10/10/2018 at 4:37 AM, luke11685 said:

will it be available at least in darknet if someone will make database backup first?

AFAIK, at least theoretically, anything that's "off the grid" will still be "off the grid" and largely unaffected, which seems to be one of the criticisms of these bills (that it's more likely to just be a pain in the ass for hosting platforms and casual internet users than to actually cut down on organized piracy to any large degree).

Still, it's worth considering that stuff being mirrored onto a darknet will at the very least require:

- Someone being bothered enough with it to do so, having the files in question before they disappeared, and keeping them maintained according to whatever requirements the alternate network has for things staying available (Do they have to host it off their computer, re-upload it to a communal cloud to refresh it every now and again, use some darknet hosting service that might be shady and/or easier to shut down than they'd like you to think?  AFAIK these systems are far from foolproof when it comes to file persistence).

- That access to such networks doesn't get blocked, which still seems to be in the clear for now, but in a future where this goes through it wouldn't be surprising to see that on the hit list in times to come.

Basically there's no counting on any old files being preserved unless you're rolling your sleeves up and doing it yourself, which is a lesson I've learned the hard way just in terms of the loss of stuff from crusty old websites that have died simply from whoever maintained them pulling the plug rather than anything more sinister.  If there's something you'd rather not see disappear, hang onto a well-backed-up personal copy for yourself at the very least.

If I could work for some company,studio or corporation and non disclosure act NDA could concern me.What way could be to share restricted and confidential informations of movie,music,literature or video games to bypass NDA violation to avoid lawsuit in the future?Did this NDA existed in the 90's of XX century or just in beginning of XXI century?What if Internet was never invented I mean existed?Could DMCA,new copyright law and NDA laws exist nowadays?How crowdfunding platforms and job application like Glasdoor could look nowadays without network access?Could Nintendo be still making Nintendo Power magazines?Could copyright laws look more simple nowadays?At the same time life could be more complicated don't you think?Commercials I guess could be still on TV that's the only way of distribution in alternate history.Does it sounds like science-fiction novel or not?Denuvo DRM is frustrating.

Edited by luke11685

A new effort has been launched to raise awareness and try to put pressure on the EU as they continue to double down on giving the music industry everything it wants to the exclusion of everyone else:

https://dontwreckthe.net/

Excellent news; not too unexpected (I follow Julia Reda on twitter for the main purpose of tracking this situation).

I'm sure it'll resurface again given time, but it's at least nice that there's the tiny glimmer of hope that this kinda stuff won't actually go through.

4 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

I'm sure it'll resurface again given time, but it's at least nice that there's the tiny glimmer of hope that this kinda stuff won't actually go through.

Someone said "Don't rest on the laurels"......

This applies perfectly...

From what I've heard, it's now only really MEPs from Germany and France that are pushing it, while many of the other countries have regretted voting for it in the first place. I have high hopes that the rest of the countries will simply shut it down.

The last time I heard some sort of relief about it.

Small Internet platforms that visit up to 5 million users per month are to be exempt from the requirement to filter content.

Most likely, the final negotiations on the Copyright Directive between the European Commission, the European Parliament and the EU Council will take place today, bringing together the representatives of the Member States (ie the trilogue). This will be the second approach this year to reach an agreement on the final shape of controversial legislation. The previous one ended with a fiasco three weeks ago, after a coalition of 11 countries - including Germany, Poland, and Italy - did not agree to the wording of two most emotive provisions - art. 11 and 13.. Strong regulations
The first one is to guarantee press publishers related rights, thanks to which they will be able to request from Internet portals publishing fragments of journalistic articles of license fees. The second rule concerns the distribution of profits between creators and intermediaries, especially online platforms enabling their users to post large portions of materials. According to art. 13 the latter would be obliged to conclude licensing agreements with the owners of copyright for the use of their works. Otherwise, they would have to put in place effective mechanisms to detect and counteract violations. In practice, this would mean the implementation of technology for automatic content monitoring. Users whose algorithm would unjustifiably block the material, however, would have a guaranteed path to claim. Governments (including Poland) most unfavorable to the regulations passed in September last year. by the European Parliament believe that they will become a tool for censoring the internet. The exit from the impasse will most probably enable a compromise proposal developed by the government in Berlin with the French delegation. It provides for an exemption from the obligation to actively monitor the content posted therein for websites operating for no longer than three years, showing revenues not exceeding EUR 10 million per year and having a maximum of 5 million unique users.

Lobbic efforts
Small portals that meet all these criteria will only have to adhere to the notice and takedown procedure, i.e. to delete copyright infringing material only after receiving the relevant notification in this case.

- Even if Poland votes against this proposal, it will not be possible to block the draft directive without the German minority coalition - emphasizes Jack Wojtas from the Chamber of Press Publishers (IWP).

Along with the imminent settlement of the EU directive, both sides of the dispute - Internet giants as well as creators and traditional media - have intensified lobbying efforts. After revealing the Franco-German compromise project, the chief attorney and one of Google Kent Walker's bloggers sketched a gloomy picture of the future of the internet on the blog following the introduction of an order in line with the directive. The largest acts are against related rights, arguing that displaying only headers or links in the search results will limit the traffic on publisher sites by as much as 45%. As it appears from Walker's experiment, instead of targeting the pages of press journals, users were more often looking for information, among others via social media. This would confirm the effects that have occurred on a local scale in Germany after introducing there the requirement for Internet companies to pay small fragments of articles.

- Even though German publishers after some time conditionally agreed that their content would appear in Google's search results free of charge, their collective management organization - VG Media - went to court, accusing the US company of abusing its dominant position and breaking the law on copyright and related rights - says Wojtas.As you see another long article,but I guess everything now makes sense,right?So there's some sort of settlement between normal internet users and european corporations.

5 hours ago, luke11685 said:

It provides for an exemption from the obligation to actively monitor the content posted therein for websites operating for no longer than three years, showing revenues not exceeding EUR 10 million per year and having a maximum of 5 million unique users.

Note this is completely useless. Virtually nothing can meet these criteria, and out of things that would (say DoomWiki.org for example), the 3 year limitation kills it. So like, after we've been online 3 years, suddenly the cost of $100,000 filtering software is negligible right? LOL.

I tweeted at a French MEP hawking this like it's beneficial and got retweeted by a Polish one. Doing my part to raise awareness in the midst of the total media blackout that still exists on these bills. If they finally pass in the end, a lot of people are going to be sorely surprised at this rate.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:31 PM, InsanityBringer said:

After all, there are no dead ends in democracies. If the outcome is not the "correct" or "satisfactory" one the first time over, just vote for it again and again until it is.

58 minutes ago, Gez said:

I don't give a shit about memes, this goes so much further beyond this.

Not only about that it was just an example.Anyway so should this thread be closed?I heard without Internet copyright laws could cease to exist.Honestly network makes life more simple.

https://youtu.be/Lu_RmfAFjUs

Edited by luke11685

Live protests against Articles 11 and 13 today in Germany:

The EU Commission is running a full-on disinformation campaign, still claiming that upload filters and link taxes either aren't required or won't harm the Internet.

Does this mean we'll have to learn to use VPNs and Tor just to have decent internet? Just like in real dictatorships, something which the European Union claims it will never be. Guess I'll have to move to another continent, because this is just stupid…

14 minutes ago, printz said:

Does this mean we'll have to learn to use VPNs and Tor just to have decent internet? Just like in real dictatorships, something which the European Union claims it will never be. Guess I'll have to move to another continent, because this is just stupid…

I feel sorry for europeans...really....but, you should move to here, Chile...
It's free of those so-called laws...

Also, don't give up people. Those bastards will know what's coming if you join forces.

2 hours ago, Quasar said:

Live protests against Articles 11 and 13 today in Germany:

The EU Commission is running a full-on disinformation campaign, still claiming that upload filters and link taxes either aren't required or won't harm the Internet.

Also, they've decided that anyone with a gmail address is not a real person.

Translation:

Now you can get mails about #uploadfilter & #Article13 every second again. Apart from the fact that they are not correct, ALL of them come from #Gmail accounts.🤔 Man #google, I know that you are angry, but do you really need this #fake action?