Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

Bridge Problem - You Help Please

This map is in simple Doom 2 format. This bridge worked fine as far as I could tell until recently. Here's a video showing that it doesn't work except when I cheat to kill all the monsters - then it suddenly starts working. I haven't isolated every possible variable, but I wondered if there's some known phenomenon that I just don't know about. 

Out of Crispy, PrBoom, and GZDoom, this only happens in Crispy and it consistently happens in Crispy.

Here's a very short video:

What is the tag of the bridge? If it only works after you kill all the monsters maybe you accidentally gave it a special tag like tag 666 that only works when you kill all of a certain kind of monster on the map. Though I'm pretty sure most of them are map slot specific except for 666 which is for commander keens. 

A monster might be stuck within the sector's bounding box. With vanilla mechanics, a sector's bounding box "spans the entire rectangular area around all parts of the sector" (credit to scifista42 for the phrasing), and things stuck inside can block movement. The implication of the first point: the bounding box could be enormous if your bridge is tethered to a distant dummy sector.

If shifting around monsters or (if applicable) dummy sectors doesn't fix this, I would suggest posting the map. 

@therektafire, no keens or modified keens in this map and it's not in a slot with anything funky, as far as I know. Thanks for playing nonetheless.

@fabian, no worries; Crispy still gets much love from me.

@rdwpa, oh, that's a thing? Well, it certainly appears to have been that; I had the dummy sector all the way across the map to prevent hearing the effect. So you get a megasphere. That also explains some other strange happenings I just "figured out" with a different effect.

Ah you got it fixed!

I was going to suggest that maybe there was a gib/corpse somewhere under the bridge, which may turn to a gib/slop after killing all monsters.

@fabian, actually I am normally in 9, so that could be it, but I just tried and couldn't recreate the problem, even in Crispy. I see there's an update, so I'm heading to download now.