Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
furyweb

Doom 3 PBR textures

hi... i still can't get any parallax depth to work on these shaders or load any examples

i am on mac 10.13.6 (latest), version 3.5.1 of gzdoom

the first example pack in this set i can barely notice anything but something odd is happening... this example seems to use the "auto" structure

subsequent examples, i notice we have referenced shader files in GLDEF... on these i get:
"Linking:

ERROR: One or more attached shaders not successfully compiled

"
i think some other ones, i have tried a couple of those examples so far, but all messages pretty much indicating, "not compiled" (likely not compiled for this system i imagine)

So QUESTION (that no-one in the questions threads seems to know)... do i need windows? do i need to compile these shaders? In my last coding environment, Love 2D, shaders where cross platform compatible and written in a similar language to Open GLSL... this meant they where compiled on the platform they ran on.

Please help!! i really want to work on some bump maps. Please point me in right direction.

EDIT: also it seems like i'm not the only one miss-understanding some of this... we have youtube videos all over with people showing a normal mapping effect that only works with light (i can get this working to but it looks terrible)

EDIT2: posted is the ONLY sucess I have got from all these demos, it was the first post, this pk3 uses the "auto" structure, appears to contain no shader.... i defiantly have depth of sorts there but it doesn't look anything like the videos?

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 15.10.14.png

Edited by DarkShroom

To see how your speculars, roughness, metallic and normals works with lights you need some dynamic lights. None of this maps state acts without dynamic lights. Parallax does, because it's works differently (engine takes information about depth of your material from displacement/heightmap texture and on this basis engine produce samples which creates an illusion of depth), so regular Doom ambient light doesn't affect your heightmap in any way.

20 hours ago, Reinchard said:

To see how your speculars, roughness, metallic and normals works with lights you need some dynamic lights. None of this maps state acts without dynamic lights. Parallax does, because it's works differently (engine takes information about depth of your material from displacement/heightmap texture and on this basis engine produce samples which creates an illusion of depth), so regular Doom ambient light doesn't affect your heightmap in any way.

okay i had a misunderstanding and was asking on questions about this... yes what i wanted then was "heightmaps" with this parallax technique

however i just get a bug then with:

Execution could not continue.
Unable to load shader parallax:
Init Shader 'parallax':
Fragment shader:
ERROR: 0:72: Initializer not allowed
ERROR: 0:92: Use of undeclared identifier 'layerDepth'
ERROR: 0:100: Use of undeclared identifier 'layerDepth'
ERROR: 0:103: Use of undeclared identifier 'beforeDepth'
ERROR: 0:104: Use of undeclared identifier 'weight'
ERROR: 0:104: Use of undeclared identifier 'weight'
ERROR: 0:106: Use of undeclared identifier 'finalTexCoords'

Linking:
ERROR: One or more attached shaders not successfully compiled

i am running mac os 10.13.6
GZDoom 3.5.1

i have a mere netbook that's got an intel 4000 however it's run these sort of effects when developing with Unity

Seems to me that modders would surely be gagging to get this stuff working but it may be the case you couldn't necessarily guarantee it'll work for everyone

Edited by DarkShroom

On 8/31/2018 at 12:45 AM, furyweb said:

dpJudas updated how shaders work with materials now. So I took a snippet of his parallax example code and used that. Its just getting the height just right aswell and the heightmap generated correctly.

Here is a link to a quick testmap just to show off some off the textures. just type into the console "map para"

https://mega.nz/#!IGxECSqZ!bomfSG_ODtdxs1fFXF8saT16826hl5MfRfJqD7w_r2w

SUCESSSSS!!!!!!! WOOOT WOOOT

i changed line 72 to remove the keyword "const" (is that right, i mean on some hardware are you okay to assign constants like that? i assume you're not supposed to change it after the assignment "float layerDepth = 1.0 / numLayers;"

https://gist.github.com/RichardEllicott/8c1b6d5b749accbf03e9d9686bc3b711

anyway, after this i get rewarded by gawping at your epic texture work that looks like Doom3 or something running in GzDoom

maybe there should be a git for this? clearly in this area of shaders, you can't test all the hardwares... who knows, maybe all mac users had this issue?

anyway a celebration picture of your door, in my questions thread.... because you should never believe anyone on the internet lol :)

The original Doom 3 textures were converted by hidfan. What im doing is using doom 3 original normal maps, creating new speculars from the converted textures and creating heightmaps from the normal maps.

21 hours ago, furyweb said:

The original Doom 3 textures were converted by hidfan...

but where did you get the shader from? i can't seem to find if it has a git or anything, i want to submit the bug i had so the shader works on more platforms (i can't have been the only one)

can i also ask what "define "Foobar"" means in the gldef:

material texture DRELEV
{
	normal "normalmaps/DRELEV.png"
	specular "specular/DRELEV.png"
	specularlevel 5
	glossiness 5
	Shader "shaders/texture/parallax.fp"
	Texture tex_heightmap "heightmaps/DRELEV.png"
	Define "Foobar"
}

it seems to be redundant? i tried deleting it, got no errors.

anyway obviously that's minor, it's working yay!

As far as I know - completely nothing :) Dunno, maybe in some earlier version of shader that meant something, but not in the current one for sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

21 hours ago, Reinchard said:

As far as I know - completely nothing :) Dunno, maybe in some earlier version of shader that meant something, but not in the current one for sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

well i haven't found it to mean anything, seems to work without it then 

"foobar" is one of these meaningless names that are frequently used in code examples or for testing stuff.

Just a quick update nothing special. Its my Substance Designer setup to get a specular and glossiness output, although the gloss texture isnt supported its good to have it just in case lol.

e84ej3p.png

23 hours ago, Gez said:

"foobar" is one of these meaningless names that are frequently used in code examples or for testing stuff.

i am aware of that... humour is not allowed in my code personally... the question was to do with whether you require that property "define"

"define" isn't a property. It's something that lets define custom properties that can be referenced by a shader AFAIK.

My point was that if you find a foobar variable and you don't know what purpose it serves, the answer is most likely "none".

I know this is a bump but have you converted a decent number of tech base textures? I am making some Doom 3 style areas for fun in Modo and it would be neat being able to take renders of it using some of these textures.

7 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I know this is a bump but have you converted a decent number of tech base textures? I am making some Doom 3 style areas for fun in Modo and it would be neat being able to take renders of it using some of these textures.

Finally started getting back into doom stuff (some personal life problems), and this one kinda got left on the back burner, but because I want to use it for a project of my own, I will continue to work on it. I will focus on the Base textures first, just for you fella :D.

11 minutes ago, furyweb said:

Finally started getting back into doom stuff (some personal life problems), and this one kinda got left on the back burner, but because I want to use it for a project of my own, I will continue to work on it. I will focus on the Base textures first, just for you fella :D.

Sounds neat!

Do you make these textures in SD? If you do perhaps later down the line it would be cool if you could share some of the files with me since I am going for photorealism in my renders so it would be neat if I could alter the textures I intend to use with some more realistic materials while still preserving the same look. I know you haven't finished making the textures yet of course, I'm just curious.

EDIT: Above I see a screenshot where you are using SD so I guess you are :)

hopefully this isnt too crazy of a bump but

i ran this PK3 and absolutely no textures are changed.  its really weird.  not even the alpha maps.  its all just vanilla textures.

i got DSC to run (if you can call it that) and confirmed I can run materials in GZDOOM,  but further testing has proven useless. i downloaded your pack to see if it could render them and your file organization....but theyre not even showing in game.

any help?