Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

What kind of campaign style are you hoping for?

Do you want Linear levels like in classic or a Hub style like Hexen?  Then there are games like Shadow Warrior 2 where you can go back and return to maps for side missions.  Which is best for Coop?  Or should the game just be singleplayer?

I'm a loner and never took much interest to Co op. Give me a mix of open wide maps and linear and I'll be happy.

I have no issues with re-using maps if they can make it look fresh or play differently. In fact they can have a large cityscape map (in doom standards) that is burning, ruins, car alarms going off etc and then later in the game you return to see what the trailer shows.

More of the same but better and all the kinks ironed out. Also, more of the first half of the game and less of the second.

Would love to see campaigns that the Earth survivors/soldiers assit you to fight back demons for certain time..

It was fine the way it was presented in D2016, but this time around I hope for more emphasis on exploration.

More of the first game, but with somewhat Sandbox-y levels that allow you to reach the Exit in different ways rather than just following a pre-determined path, and different types of encounters and challenges, such as reaching an objective before time runs out or using the enemies as obstacles instead of throwing them in the obligatory Arenas that have to be cleared to procceed, Maybe even bring back crushers for more variety (though the first game had 1 crusher in one of the Hell levels IIRC but I can't remember any others).

I don't mind the levels being linear, as long as they're not too restrictive or repetitive.

I think the first level of doom 16 would be a good low bar as for pathing options. some of the later levels where way to linear. Having at least a few splits and overunning paths makes it at least feel like there is more of a choice.

I liked Quake II's campaign style best: non-linear hub-style units joined together in a linear fashion.

I'd love to see some more open world explorative stuff while in other parts of the game seeing more horror-esk corridor maps.

Wasn't much into Doom (2016), but I'll voice my opinion here. My favorite level was The Foundry because of its sandbox-ish nature, so I'd like to see more levels like that, with a couple semi-linear ones breaking them up so they don't really wear themselves out.

I want large, open levels on Earth, such as cities and towns which are full of Possessed (zombie apocalypse style). Maybe there could be a level where you're in an airbase, and it's under attack by airborne demons (Cacodemons, Pain Elementals, and Lost Souls). Also, some levels should include ambient background fights (like human aircraft clashing with demons in the sky).

I'd like just Classic Doom type, one level at a time but relatively opened up levels that don't force you down one path. Mostly, Doom 2016 but with less locked arena fights. It'd be nice to be able to come and go at your leisure for the most part, exploring around and hunting down secrets or to just scavenge.

The same basic sort of level-to-level structure of the previous games, but with less lockdowns (preferably they should only be for boss fights), and more branching paths, open environments, and clever secrets to find.

not linear, one exit the level like a labyrinth, anyways, some levels need to be linear, one thing i hope to see is a brigde, defeating demons and advance, other are go up to the ceiling of one building, that is gonna epic

but i hope like the first style of doom 1 and 2

A non-linear level progression system akin to what was found in Wolf2: TNC. 

But hear me out, as while it's level system sounded good on paper, the execution was lacking for some as it mainly consisted of revisiting older levels just to pick up collectibles that one may have missed, and possibly a few extra enemies.

What Doom Eternal could do if it decides to go this route is to not only add additional content for older levels such as new bosses, random encounters, and super secrets but also to add levels that were never previously explored in the main campaign but never actually discovered before.
Plus, the player should have the opportunity to replay the main campaign as intended should they desire, and this route would leave open the possibility of secret levels. Plus the chance for future updates opens the door for more missions in familiar territory and possibly even more new levels from id!

As for the levels themselves, while a level like The Foundry may have been the least linear level in D2016, it also took the most development time. It would be nice to have more levels such as that, but it would also be nice also to kind of do away with the "arena combat" that relegated most of the actual gameplay as it does feel too restrictive.

Edited by Man of Doom : Updates might be a better idea than online-only singleplayer.

I think a combination of linear and hubs would work.  Perhaps a central hub which breaks up into small linear campaigns kinda like Quake 1.

I do really want randomized monsters for replayability.  In Shadow Warrior 2 you have Elite and Superior monster variants.  It even goes to having elemental effects which is very Diablo like.  Such a feature would be best for a New Game plus mode honestly, but with it would work well when players need to go back to another level.  The first play through should probably be static for the sake of New Monster introductions; which for some reason are far more remember able than most games.  I think we all can recollect our first Pinky and Baron encounter! And when I mean random, I mean like very small chances of seeing really strong monsters early in the game if dice happen to roll that way.

Edited by Zemini

FPS level design is an art that Doom is keeping alive, so more of that, with less of the separation of arenas. More big action/adventure games than not these days are open world, one big ol' open map, big open fields etc. It would be boring if every game was like that. So for Doom I want the art of classic level design, some new tricks and ideas of course, but I want a masterful flow to it that is very different from a big open area.

The setting is Earth with ruins and whatnot, but the master mappers will weave that into a tapestry of paths and fun to traverse unique levels while still making it feel open. I want some masterful mappery.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:51 PM, tempdecal.wad said:

such as reaching an objective before time runs

No! Let there be none of that, an absolute plague to FPS, it is.

I'd like less arena-style and a bit more of a dungeon crawl at some points.

A mission or two in that style would be a nice break from the constant arenas though, I personally wouldn't mind it.

I'd definitely prefer more of the same linear approach as before, tight levels and fights that are well designed.

2 hours ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

I'm hoping that they go for the classic Doom fashion and not locking the player up in an arena until he kills everyone.

This, That's the only thing i hate about in Doom 2016

5 hours ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

I'm hoping that they go for the classic Doom fashion and not locking the player up in an arena until he kills everyone.

2 hours ago, Chickensoup101 said:

This, That's the only thing i hate about in Doom 2016

I am actually fine with the locking up of the arenas, considering the limitations put up with the new engine and some demons who could not follow you everywhere in the map if you evaded them.

Unlike doom 1 and 2 the new demons can be just run around easily and the next door will filter out the mancubi and barons. i can even picture some people using this as an advantage and spamming from behind the door to kill them (pathetic).

They talked about this in the 1st noclip documentary too and had no option but to do it. Doom 1 and 2 had us a-d-a-d-ing around corners to kill the pursuing demons if we reached a dead end in a corridor but fighting a horde in the newer game like that is not what i think would be possible

3 hours ago, dewmguy said:

I am actually fine with the locking up of the arenas, considering the limitations put up with the new engine and some demons who could not follow you everywhere in the map if you evaded them.

Unlike doom 1 and 2 the new demons can be just run around easily and the next door will filter out the mancubi and barons. i can even picture some people using this as an advantage and spamming from behind the door to kill them (pathetic).

They talked about this in the 1st noclip documentary too and had no option but to do it. Doom 1 and 2 had us a-d-a-d-ing around corners to kill the pursuing demons if we reached a dead end in a corridor but fighting a horde in the newer game like that is not what i think would be possible

Agreed. A dungeon-crawler like the original dooms just would not work in a modern engine. After all, we've seen how the classic maps play, it's pathetic.

4 hours ago, dewmguy said:

Nothing's stopping them from dropping whatever's preventing them from recreating the classic run and gun. The arena style combat was fine for the first half, later on it felt very repetitive. Graphics are cool and all, but if they get in the way of the gameplay, then what you should be doing is opening up the way for the gameplay to shine - if I wanted to look at pretty graphics, I'd watch a movie.

54 minutes ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

...After all, we've seen how the classic maps play, it's pathetic.

It's pathetic because the design of Doom 2016 doesn't align 100% with design of the original.

i can even picture some people using this as an advantage and spamming from behind the door to kill them (pathetic).

Then remove the doors. This is part of why doors in Doom are bad.

The problem remains that in some of Doom's mods, that's the best/only way to deal with some encounters.

Doom 1 and 2 had us a-d-a-d-ing around corners to kill the pursuing demons if we reached a dead end in a corridor but fighting a horde in the newer game like that is not what i think would be possible

I don't see why not. Looking at the weapons of Doom (2016) suggests this is quite possible, what with the overpowered gauss cannon and the "I win" button called the BFG, then there's the chainsaw that will refill all your weapons effectively for free.

1 hour ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

After all, we've seen how the classic maps play, it's pathetic.

Like Blazing Dust said, the design of Doom (2016) differs from the design of Doom (1993). That's why playing the classic maps in Doom (2016) isn't fun.

42 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

Nothing's stopping them from dropping whatever's preventing them from recreating the classic run and gun. The arena style combat was fine for the first half, later on it felt very repetitive. Graphics are cool and all, but if they get in the way of the gameplay, then what you should be doing is opening up the way for the gameplay to shine - if I wanted to look at pretty graphics, I'd watch a movie.

114472-200.png

I like you.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:58 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

Agreed. A dungeon-crawler like the original dooms just would not work in a modern engine. After all, we've seen how the classic maps play, it's pathetic.

Disagree. The new Wolfenstein games actually have the classic dungeon crawl feeling and are doing pretty well. But I wouldn't like to see that in Doom although I enjoy the new Wolfenstein games.