Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duke of Pathoris

Enemies you don't want to return

The ones with the shields, they are IRRITATING and pointless, some others may need a little of tweaking, but those with the shield need to banned to the deepest entrails of hell and never come back. They soak up all the fun from the game. The others, whatever.

1 hour ago, R_Init: IHatePageFlipping said:

Lost Soul

For all goddamn reason it must be removed or not returning back

Pain elementals have been confirmed in the trailer, so i guess you're out of luck there

4 hours ago, R_Init: IHatePageFlipping said:

Lost Soul

just turn down your difficulty. why do you wish to see the game simplified?

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

The lost souls in Doom '16 aren't too bad to deal with when you wrangle with them a few times.

I think they're the most tolerable lost souls from the series. They're a right pain in Doom 3 and in Classic Doom (though easier to hit), they are too tanky. A nice feature is that they die on impact.

-The Shield Guys, the most annoying enemy from DOOM 2016. 

-The Bruiser from Doom 3 ROE because it's a slim mancubus with a CRT for a mouth, as pointles as it is dumb.

-Maggots from Doom 3, more of an annoyance and cannon fodder rather than a proper enemy.

-Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind from Doom 2016, i like those guys but the former it's a UAC experiment, the latter is the product of a ritual, i guess for continuity sake these monsters come back in a different shape or variant or they are replaced by similar demons.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:52 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

I think they're the most tolerable lost souls from the series. They're a right pain in Doom 3 and in Classic Doom (though easier to hit), they are too tanky. A nice feature is that they die on impact.

I didn't like how they died on impact. It made them too easy to kill. I would even accidentally kill them sometimes. 

9 minutes ago, DestroyerNori13 said:

I didn't like how they died on impact. It made them too easy to kill. I would even accidentally kill them sometimes. 

I like them this way more. They are way too tanky in the classic games for my taste.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, ScreechingBoner said:

Pain Elementals, but I guess it's way too late for that.

I think with the current lost souls, they would be acceptable.

I'm seeing a lot of Arch-vile hate, and while I do agree that they can be annoying at times, I personally feel that they're really unique, in how they force you to fight more tactically rather than just rush in headlong like you can with most enemies in the game. The flame attack I especially find unique, because it can be one of the single most devastating attacks in Doom II, but it can also be one of the easiest to avoid, so long as you have a ledge to temporarily hide behind until you find a chance to attack.

TL;DR: Archies are annoying, but they're part of the charm that the doom series has and the series probably wouldn't be the same without them.

Just because its attributes are "unique" doesn't mean that it's fun. I just don't find having to get completely out of an enemy's sight so I don't take massive damage in a game like DOOM fun. It makes the game's pace come to a halt, and it's a problem that I have not only with the classic Arch-Vile, but also with the classic zombiemen trio albeit to a much less severe degree.

However, if the new Arch-Vile's attacks are similar to its DOOM 3 cousin, then I'd be very welcome with its return.

30 minutes ago, igg said:

What was the Arch-Viles attack in Doom 3?

A flame wall, rather than what they did in Doom II where they just lit you on fire wherever you were as long as you were in their line of sight. It's much easier to avoid the flame wall. Also, in Doom 3, there aren't corpses for them to ressurect like they do in Doom II

1 minute ago, FeverDreamer said:

A flame wall, rather than what they did in Doom II where they just lit you on fire wherever you were as long as you were in their line of sight. It's much easier to avoid the flame wall. Also, in Doom 3, there aren't corpses for them to ressurect like they do in Doom II

They were basically just beefy imps.

16 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

They were basically just beefy imps.

Or, another good comparison would be the Summoner, since they are pretty much the DOOM 3 Arch-Viles under a different name + a teleporting ability.

I like the Summoners because they are very credible threats without being downright frustrating.

Personally I wouldn't mind if a few Doom 3 enemies came back in new forms, but one the more I think about was just pointless was the wraith. His teleport was so badly designed that it makes getting hit by one just shameful in most circumstances given you can just cheese them with a point blank shotgun blast before they can even regain movement.

2 hours ago, Quasar said:

Personally I wouldn't mind if a few Doom 3 enemies came back in new forms, but one the more I think about was just pointless was the wraith. His teleport was so badly designed that it makes getting hit by one just shameful in most circumstances given you can just cheese them with a point blank shotgun blast before they can even regain movement.

I always thought the Wraith would be a lot better if it had a more subtle phase effect (and not as loud) and if it would actually try to flank the Player instead of running in a straight, predictable line.