Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duke of Pathoris

Classic Maps

DOOM brought back 13 of the classic maps. Does anyone think they will do the same for Doom: Eternal? Does Eternal need a gimmick like that, considering DOOM sold so well and has its own reputation?

Could they perhaps have unlockable Doom 3 levels instead if they want to keep the progression up? Will they do away with that secret? What will they replace it with?

I didn't really look too hard at them, those secrets only really became important on Nightmare difficulty because of the goodies they had. But, if they wanted to do that, I could see some of the Final Doom levels being the classic maps. I think that would work a little better than the Doom 3 levels, which weren't really geared toward action like the classic!Doom levels were.

I'm just going to assume they'll have the Classic Maps as they did in Doom 4 but they'll expand on the gimmick. Something like, they're very difficult to find and aren't in the same place each time you play, and if you beat them on Nightmare, or do an easter egg in them or something you'll unlock a skin for a weapon depending on the level and the skin will make it look like the original design from DOOM 1&2(Not pixelated but more akin to the DOOM 2 SuperShotgun in Quake Champions). 

Classic maps would of been better if they skinned the maps with actual Doom 2016 textures.  Yes it would look blocky as hell, but it already looks more silly seeing Classic textures up again the new enemies.

22 minutes ago, EdwunclerIII said:

If they were to do classic maps I believe they should add the classic sprite enemies.

And the sprite weapons and sounds?  Where would it end?  Might as well just play classic doom at the point.  I would of rather seen a total conversion - or at the very least give us the tools in SnapMap.

1 minute ago, Zemini said:

And the sprite weapons and sounds?  Where would it end?  Might as well just play classic doom at the point.  I would of rather seen a total conversion - or at the very least give us the tools in SnapMap.

That's actually a good point. i just didn't see why they didn't go that extra mile. But still, its fun.

I'd also prefer the classic sprites and sounds. Wolfenstein did an excellent job on that in all 3 games so far. I even enjoyed them more as Doom 2016s.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:13 AM, Zemini said:

I agree. I saw some great reconstructions of the old levels in SnapMap. These Classic levels look silly and are totally unbalanced.