Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novaseer

Is using music files from different IWADs allowed?

Question

I was thinking of making a relatively small mapset using Doom 2 as a base, and importing some of the music files from Doom 1 and TNT for certain levels. Would this be fine by the uploading rules? I ask this because I know distributing the IWADs themselves is forbidden.

Forgive me if the answer's obvious, I'm not exactly an expert at this.

6 answers to this question

Yes, you can use music from other iwads. Alien Vendetta authors, for example used iwad music for their creation and they never were rejected due that. 

Just now, Myst.Haruko said:

Yes, you can use music from other iwads. Alien Vendetta authors, for example used iwad music for their creation and they never were rejected due that. 

Thanks mate.

You might also consider what I did in Metroid Doom: include Andrew Hulshult's IDKFA versions and use those, so that you not only have a good version of it, but can guarantee that the player has what you're intending in the first place without taking something that wasn't originally intended for use in mods.

58 minutes ago, RockstarRaccoon said:

You might also consider what I did in Metroid Doom: include Andrew Hulshult's IDKFA versions and use those

And bloat the filesize? No thanks.

If you do that, I would convert them to OGG at least to get the filesize down. MP3s quickly add up in size. Also, not everyone has a great, unlimited internet connection. Some are slow, or worse, metered.