Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hieliksuslik

(First posted map) - Broken

Hey all! This is my first time posting a Wad I've made to here, and I'm looking forward to any feedback possible ^^

- Wad is pretty easy.

Name: (Broken)

Map Format: (Doom, UDMF)

Ports Tested: (GZDoom)

IWAD: (Doom 2)

Map(s): (MAP01, map02) 

Gameplay: (Single play)

Multiplayer Placement: (No)

Build Time: (Around a week)  

No jumping on this one, sorry fancy engines.

============================

Download v2:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3hdftj1sldv4dhq/Broken_v2.wad

Download v3:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/91s4662iatidpd2/Broken_v3.wad

Edit: Fixed textures

Update: Broken Version 3 hot and ready for slaying!

Broken (Both maps):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/91s4662iatidpd2/Broken_v4.wad

========================================

Changelog:

Spoiler

- Added more Health drops due to Shotgunners.

- Additional Shotgun shells close to spawn.

- Secret is more rip-and-tear rather than bandage-my-nonexistent-wounds.

- Removed Block Sound linedefs as it allowed for horde to be killed too easily.

- Visual Changes.

- Fixed missing textures

-Changed up the layout of Map02 for more interesting areas and encounters

Screenshots:

Broken at 2018.06.23 20-00-20.317 [R2787].jpg

Broken at 2018.06.23 20-00-10.428 [R2787].jpg

============================================================================================================

- Broken Map02 update:

Progress on the second map of "Broken" is going strong, so I want to post a few preview images of some areas already developed!

1909851355_Broken_Cont.(EH)at2018_06.2918-52-21.279R2787.jpg.82c0ec81771f24956b0f33463ad439da.jpg

* Still working out lighting/Working on shifting from this pure grey scheme I've got going to add more interesting areas*1474699050_Broken_Cont.(EH)at2018_06.2918-52-35.858R2787.jpg.7eeed17772aacd776a1a9a433783250d.jpg

Broken at 2018.06.23 19-59-57.581 [R2787].jpg

Edited by Hieliksuslik : Final Map

Just played through your map and it looks pretty clear to me that this isn't your actual first map, even if it's your first published one.

I liked that you changed flats with height variation, and the gameplay was okay.

There was a rather notable shortage of health given the shotgunners' presence, I'd suggest adding another medikit or two somewhere.

The yellow door opened agonizingly slowly, I have to note that.

I only found the secret after getting to the exit, so that armor and extra health didn't do much for me.

The layout was nonlinear, though, and I liked that.

The exit switch doesn't seem to work, or I was perhaps doing something wrong, but I had to use "special exit_normal 0" in the console to exit properly.

The doors are a little slow to open, in my opinion. They break the flow of your map, which was pretty good, really.

Overall, I liked it, it just had a few issues here and there.

55 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Just played through your map and it looks pretty clear to me that this isn't your actual first map, even if it's your first published one.

I liked that you changed flats with height variation, and the gameplay was okay.

There was a rather notable shortage of health given the shotgunners' presence, I'd suggest adding another medikit or two somewhere.

The yellow door opened agonizingly slowly, I have to note that.

I only found the secret after getting to the exit, so that armor and extra health didn't do much for me.

The layout was nonlinear, though, and I liked that.

The exit switch doesn't seem to work, or I was perhaps doing something wrong, but I had to use "special exit_normal 0" in the console to exit properly.

The doors are a little slow to open, in my opinion. They break the flow of your map, which was pretty good, really.

Overall, I liked it, it just had a few issues here and there.

Haha I've made a few dummy maps here and there to test concepts so you nailed it! I'll make sure to add some more health; your point about the shotgunners makes a lot more sense than what I had thought originally. Now that you mention it the secret was poorly setup (oops) so I'll probs rethink that one a little, along with speeding up the doors. Oh! Yeah I had forgotten to actually add the end so that was on my end, sorry. 

Thank you for the feedback! I'll get right to work

Nice first map. Good use of heights, which is something that most new mappers overlook. I also liked that I could go both directions right from the start. This could be a good map01 for a small series.

I didn't care for the slime wall. It should be recessed into the wall a bit. Also maybe work on making door frames...but these are minor visual things. Theres not much I can find wrong with this map, but I would have liked it to be longer!

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Just now, kdoom said:

Nice first map. Good use of heights, which is something that most new mappers overlook. I also liked that I could go both directions right from the start. This could be a good map01 for a small series.

I didn't care for the slime wall. It should be recessed into the wall a bit. Also maybe work on making door frames...but these are minor visual things. Theres not much I can find wrong with this map, but I would have liked it to be longer!

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Awesome, Thank you so much! I would be more than happy to get cracking to make a mini-series off of it. The door frames will be a peace of cake :D

Pretty nice design. I agree about the little height differences. Not everything has to be multiples of 64 or 128 - nice job. I thought being able to kill a bunch of enemies through the window made it too easy since there were block sound lines and they couldn't retaliate.

I look forward to seeing more.

1 minute ago, HAK3180 said:

Pretty nice design. I agree about the little height differences. Not everything has to be multiples of 64 or 128 - nice job. I thought being able to kill a bunch of enemies through the window made it too easy since there were block sound lines and they couldn't retaliate.

I look forward to seeing more.

Yeah my original thought with the block sound lines was that of: Don't want people to get boned right off the bat; made me forget how I setup my own level haha. I really liked the look of the tiny height values so now that I see they're appreciated I think I'll stick with them even more :) Thank you for the feedback!

Here's the video of me playing the map.

This is a very short one so nothing much to say. Pretty standard classic DooM experience. You can see some missing textures on the door rails, also I didn't like the close-to-none height difference with the nukage puddle.

Anyway, very solid creation for the rookie mapper :)

3 hours ago, mgr_inz_rafal said:

Here's the video of me playing the map.

This is a very short one so nothing much to say. Pretty standard classic DooM experience. You can see some missing textures on the door rails, also I didn't like the close-to-none height difference with the nukage puddle.

Anyway, very solid creation for the rookie mapper :)

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to record a video, it really opens up how others would go through it. So strange that the doors are missing those textures, I'll go in and fix that asap. As for the teeny tiny height elevations I understand how those little height differences can be rather strange, so some bigger changes should be done for later maps that incorporate it. Once again, thank you very much and I will keep working hard!

2 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

I'll be doing a video review / FDA of this map when I get home : )

Are you returning to recording bussiness or I'm just dreaming? :"""")

Just now, Myst.Haruko said:

Are you returning to recording bussiness or I'm just dreaming? :"""")

I'm back and in charge. Started playing more and more Doom recently and now him hankering to make more FDAs. Shoutout to @bonnie for the motivation <3

2 hours ago, xvertigox said:

I'll be doing a video review / FDA of this map when I get home : )

Sounds like a plan! I look forward to it ^^

Version 3 is out with some fixes on textures, and I'm the process of making a map02 to compliment it ^^ Looking forward to getting in done and posted here.

19 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Here's the FDA of v3

p.s how do you actually pronounce your name?

Thank you so much for the feedback in the video! Yeah for the second one I've certainly worked on upping the scale of things and including much more wall details. For the stronger enemies I totally agree and that will be brought into the next few generations. My name is pronounced Hee-lick zues-lick, sorry about the struggle on it haha. Thanks very much again!

Alrighty! So after having worked on the second map for this entire time, I think I'll call Broken done at 2 maps. Accidently got myself burned out on it along with not knowing where to take it. But!! Once map02 is released, I plan on updating both of them over time to make both as best as possible. Here's to hoping it's not a mess when released, but with how work is atm I'd say this Sunday will be its release date. I look forward to everyone's input ^^

The Final Version of Broken is up and out there for you all to download!! I feel map02 is a bit rough personally, but I await all of your feedback/comments ^^

Update: I have some screenies on the update progress for v_4 of Broken! Enjoy;

==================================================================================

681421093_Broken_v3at2018_07.1221-15-00.804R2787.jpg.fbf36769871937b2a1cc7d80349dc81e.jpg

Broken_v3 at 2018.07.12 21-14-51.472 [R2787].jpg

Edited by Hieliksuslik : v_4 Update

Map02 was decent, I liked the layout. There a few areas that really lacked detail, namely the grey blue key area and the end cyberdemon arena. The cyberdemon arena is very bare and pretty unnecessary since you can just run past him to finish the map. If you added more monsters and made the combat more exciting I'd find the map much more enjoyable.

Edit: Shit, double posted. I should have edited my previous post, my bad.

14 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Map02 was decent, I liked the layout. There a few areas that really lacked detail, namely the grey blue key area and the end cyberdemon arena. The cyberdemon arena is very bare and pretty unnecessary since you can just run past him to finish the map. If you added more monsters and made the combat more exciting I'd find the map much more enjoyable.

Edit: Shit, double posted. I should have edited my previous post, my bad.

Yeah I fully agree with you on all the points you made, those were my biggest fears. By the time I did the cyberdemon area I wasn't too sure it was the best idea, So i'll get that all swapped out soon. For the blue key area I am for sure gonna hit that sucker with more textures to liven it up. More monsters will be added and I plan on adding onto the layout to give more situations for better combat. Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Version 4 of Broken is up and good to go!! I just got back from a week vacation last night so I finished up the major and minor changes to map02. There are changes to multiple areas, with new ones having been added. Have at it ^^

Edit: Got some feedback from some bros and updated a good bit of awkward bits and pieces like the slope in the pit for map02 and armor.

Edited by Hieliksuslik : Update