Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duke of Pathoris

New Armour?

From the trailer, it seems Doom Guy has new (or better yet, old) armour. What does everyone think of this?

Do you prefer it from a stylistic point of view?

Do you think there will be an in-universe explanation?

My answers to both are 'no' but what do you think?

In my opinion the more classic you get with the new designs, the better.

Like for example I never really liked the way Imp's looked in DOOM '16, I think Eternal's design is 100% better.

I believe that the more you incorporate DOOM, and DOOM 2 styled designs to the demons the better they're look, with the exception of the Hell Knight of course.

Yeah, that's just a flat visual upgrade, in my opinion. While I don't dislike the armour from the previous game, you also just can't go wrong taking inspiration from the classic armour.

As for whether or not it will be justified in lore... probably not, but that's fine by me. Doom 2016's story wasn't one I was hugely interested in. I was just having more fun killing demons.

I'm a bit ambivalent about it, because I've grown really fond of the Praetor Suit as it is, which in my opinion evokes the classic Doomguy appearance well enough to feel both right and familiar, while also feeling very fresh (and it makes the Doom Marine look more like an actual Space Marine, which is what the original Doomguy was supposed to be). This new armour immediately feels a bit like they're "trying too hard" to get the nostalgia feeling flowing, which strikes me as a bit redundant at this point.

On the other hand, the new outfit doesn't feel out of place in a "Hell-on-Earth" setting and it does justify having to upgrade this new suit from scratch rather than having a case of: "This ancient perhaps supernaturally enhanced super-armour that has probably been upgraded multiple times across the millennia needs to be upgraded still further". And I do like designs that respect the classic look, so I dunno, I might become really happy with it after all.

24 minutes ago, dsm said:

I'm a bit ambivalent about it, because I've grown really fond of the Praetor Suit as it is, which in my opinion evokes the classic Doomguy appearance well enough to feel both right and familiar, while also feeling very fresh (and it makes the Doom Marine look more like an actual Space Marine, which is what the original Doomguy was supposed to be). This new armour immediately feels a bit like they're "trying too hard" to get the nostalgia feeling flowing, which strikes me as a bit redundant at this point.

On the other hand, the new outfit doesn't feel out of place in a "Hell-on-Earth" setting and it does justify having to upgrade this new suit from scratch rather than having a case of: "This ancient perhaps supernaturally enhanced super-armour that has probably been upgraded multiple times across the millennia needs to be upgraded still further". And I do like designs that respect the classic look, so I dunno, I might become really happy with it after all.

I have to second this sentiment as well and for similar reasons.

Even though Doom 2016 is a much newer game, the Praetor suit has already become one of the most iconic armors in the history of fiction. You so much as cosplay something that vaguely resembles the Praetor suit, and people instantly recognize who you are. You show a casual gamer a picture of the suit, and they'll instantly recognize who the Doomslayer is (unless they're just taking the piss, of course).

Not only that, "Praetor Suit" has such a simple and catchy name, yet it commands respect and inspires fear.

While this new suit does seem to exist more out of nostalgia-mining, it does look very appropriate for a "Hell on Earth" setting, and would indeed be a case of "this new suit needs to be just as upgraded as the old one." Only thing is, can this new armor reach the same levels of recognition as the Praetor Suit, complete with an equally badass name?

10 hours ago, dsm said:

I agree with both. I find the Praetor Suit iconic and one of the changes that I would actually say was an improvement. It simultaneously looks stronger and less clunky. It is sleek, just like Doom is. No frills, all thrills.

But yes, from a mechanical point of view, it makes sense for the new suit to remove all upgrades when going into the next game.

My theory is that somehow we become separated from the Praetor Suit in the story and then we have no choice but to don a classic normal UAC marine suit and kick ass the old fashioned way with no hand holding upgrades...

... or perhaps the guy in the trailer is not Doomguy at all and is just a normal classic looking marine before he becomes a dead marine or if he's really unlucky, gibbed marine.

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

... or perhaps the guy in the trailer is not Doomguy at all and is just a normal classic looking marine before he becomes a dead marine or if he's really unlucky, gibbed marine.

I think it was confirmed that he is the same person.

15 hours ago, Nevander said:

My theory is that somehow we become separated from the Praetor Suit in the story and then we have no choice but to don a classic normal UAC marine suit and kick ass the old fashioned way with no hand holding upgrades...

Pretty much this.  He loses his armor and abilities like poor Samus and has to start upgrading all over again.  I am guessing he finds the Marine Armor early in the game.

From a stylistic point of view, yes, I prefer the classic looking armor.

While I really liked the design of the Praetor Suit, since Eternal is going for a much more classic approach with the monsters and everything, the new (or old) armor is probably a better candidate. The Praetor Suit fit the style and tone of D2016, just like the classic armor will likely fit Eternal just as well.

As about an in-universe explanation, yeah I think we're likely going to get one. Who knows what happened with the Doom Slayer after Hayden took the Crucible from him.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:18 AM, Duke of Pathoris said:

I agree with both. I find the Praetor Suit iconic and one of the changes that I would actually say was an improvement. It simultaneously looks stronger and less clunky. It is sleek, just like Doom is. No frills, all thrills.

But yes, from a mechanical point of view, it makes sense for the new suit to remove all upgrades when going into the next game.

Yes, I agree as well, the Praetor suit is great. It riffs the classic doomguy armour but also makes doomguy feel powerful and badass and like a space marine able to trudge through hell and back.

As people have said, what I expect will happen is there will be plot justification for the Praetor being stripped from us (probably by Hayden or the Crucible) and starting Doomguy naked again, and this time he has to make do with some classic marine armour to begin with, but powered up slightly by the AI we backed up and rescued in the end of D2016. I can roll with that, because they need to be able to make it a standalone game, rather than allowing us to bring all our OP argent upgrades with us immediately into the new E1M1 (especially that crazy challenge power that gave unlimited ammo when above 100 armour combined with the Chaingun turret mode!).

i think story-wise doomguy dumped the praetor suit due to it having the tether system installed, which would have hindered him in ripping that tin bucket off from his neck the next time they meet