Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Findas

Basic Win XP questions

Hi, I have a few very basic questions I’m hoping those of you more knowledgeable than me can answer. I have a new computer with Windows XP, and I want to play Doom. When I looked at the list of source ports, I was overwhelmed and confused. My questions:

1. Is there one particular download that is the best for me?
2. Does it come with instructions on what to do?
3. What exactly am I getting? Are these the classic Doom I, II, Final, etc. levels converted over to an XP-friendly form, or something entirely different?
4. Will I be able to convert/transfer custom levels now sitting on my old computer?

Any and all answers are much appreciated!

1. Maybe, depending on what you want.
2. Most engines have docs that tell you how they work and stuff (differences in respect to normal doom, new features, etc.)
3.Some have additional features, most can be set up to play pretty much like the original.
4. Standard addon levels will most likely work on any of them, there is no need to convert them, a couple of bugs may cause some to crash or go back to windows where the original would still run, but this is very rare.

I've always felt that the term "source port" isn't altogether accurate, as theres additions and slight changes, but most of these are not too obvious. I mean, the fact that they have been ported is now mostly irrelevant, while the additions define each of them.

3: It's not the levels that are the problem, it's the engine. Source ports use the very same set of levels and resources that were shipped with the original game (this also means that you have to own one of the Doom games for any of the source ports to work). Source ports are just a different program using those resources in a different way.

4: Old levels require no conversion. All of the source ports will run any add-on levels made for the original Doom engine. However, there are some add-on levels that can be made specifically for the source ports.

Get PrBoom.
use cmd.exe
have fun. :)

seriously though, PrBoom's intent is to port the original Doom experience to a win32 environment.
It is as close to the real game as you can possibly get!
Although it is command-line driven, I think you'll love it.

Heres what i found out about XP. My old computer (a celeron 333mhz sd-ram) had xp on it. But the problem was when i played zdaemon or zdoom my controls would lag terribly so bad to the point i had to use a ps2 controller to play doom. But i found a simple fix for this problem going to properties and compatibality and choosing windows 98/me. I would recommend zdoom because most likely doom 1.9 dosent support your dma and irq channels.

All the windows source ports will run, I find prboom to be the most stable and faithfull port for windows. The only problems ive had with a port and xp was jdoom, where the launcher kept crashing.

All you maps should work fine.

My friend had the latest Zdoom pre release running on his XP laptop at the weekend. No need to set any compatability options or anything. He just installed it, fired it up and started killing things.

I have found jDoom to run fine under XP. A few versions of the Kickstart launcher didn't work properly, but recent versions have been fine. Besides, you don't really need to use the launcher.

The latest version of Zdoom I've tried under XP is the one they call "v. Five-teen". It runs fine, except that you can't pick up shotguns in STRAIN, but that presumably isn't an XP issue.

check out Bigbadgansta's DOOMWORLD sig.
all of those ports are 32-bit. I would be surprised if any of them didn't work under XP.

Opulent said:

check out Bigbadgansta's DOOMWORLD sig.
all of those ports are 32-bit. I would be surprised if any of them didn't work under XP.

Yes, all the letters in the word "DOOMWORLD" in my sig are source ports, as are the words "DOOM DM!" (but those are multiplayer ports).

bigbadgangsta said:

Yes, all the letters in the word "DOOMWORLD" in my sig are source ports, as are the words "DOOM DM!" (but those are multiplayer ports).

You forget Skull Tag.