Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BQuick54

Project Brutality on prboom?

This question has probably been answered a thousand times, but is it possible to use project brutality on prboom? I tried to google search this issue but alas no cigar. If so I can't figure out how to get it to work. Can someone help me if this is a possibility?

Alright. Thank you.

Do older versions of gzdoom run better? PB has been making my computer run like a toaster. I want it to run faster, but I am stuck there.

I don't know the technical details, but anecdotally at least, running a mod like PB on my laptop led to excruciatingly bad performance, even with low resolution. I ended up switching up my GZDoom settings to run in software mode instead of hardware/GL mode and performance was instantly way better. so that might be worth trying, if you're currently running GZDoom with the hardware renderer!

I'm guessing you've not got a strong graphics card; any decent and semi-modern AMD or nvidia card should manage GZDoom with crazy mods for breakfast (mine only slightly stutters when theres thousands of gibs). So yes, assuming you can't upgrade, Tango's suggestion, forcing the work on your processor and Ram via Software mode is probably most optimal. Consider things like disabling shadows, filtering and dynamic lighting and all the other gubbins in the GZDoom settings as well. Naturally, your Doom will suffer in appearance and more closely resemble its DOS version, but that may be what you want anyway.

Well I am unsure how I fixed it, but it is running fine now. My gpu is a GTX 1080. Since  it is running smoother now, I am less worried about it, but thanks for the advice and the help!

That's weird then. If its really a GTX 1080, you should run modern games happily at ultra in 1080p (and probably at 20 fps even on 4k), nevermind GZDoom. I happily get a constant 60 fps on my AMD R270 from six years back (which is about equivalent to a GTX 1050 from nvidia these days) unless I've got thousands of gibs onscreen in a complex level.

I was thinking you had some kind of intel graphics card on a laptop or something (lol). The only other thing is to make sure you always have the latest GZDoom version (3.4.1 at the moment), as they are pretty much throwing out new versions monthly. On the other hand, sometimes this breaks mods that are older as well.

59 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

If its really a GTX 1080, you should run modern games happily at ultra in 1080p (and probably at 20 fps even on 4k), nevermind GZDoom.

Doom ports are CPU bottle-necked, not GPU, and GZDoom is the slowest of all. BD is incredibly poorly designed even as far as GZDoom mods go, and if PB is based on that then it'll share the same bottlenecks, making the GZDoom situation even worst.

Thus, having a GTX 1080 means absolutely nothing here.

Edited by Edward850

Huh... you'd think with the OpenGL, some of load would be shovelled off onto the GPU. Guess you learn something new every day.

You can shuffle off some of the rendering, but rendering isn't the problem here, it's playsim tasks and scene construction. PRBoom+ is referred to as the fastest port not because of the rendering, but because its playsim processing is heavily optimised to the point that nuts.wad is effortless to run. Meanwhile GZDoom among other things has two different VMs, one of them running the core gameplay logic now and that's not a free action.