Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(Private alphas in progress) Infernew, a Community Project

Seems awesome. The theme is a natural Doom sequel, and it's vanilla Doom 2.

I'd love to contribute. If I don't show anything within a week, remove me.

Edited by printz

I don't think you should have a problem with the textures if you credit them. 

That said, I'd love to make a map for this, I should have enough time. 

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

I don't think you should have a problem with the textures if you credit them

but doesn't it not count because they're official textures that were not supposed to redistribute or something?

i just don't wanna jump the gun and let everyone use the textures but then have to go back on it later and stuff ;~;

4 minutes ago, bonnie said:

but doesn't it not count because they're official textures that were not supposed to redistribute or something?

i just don't wanna jump the gun and let everyone use the textures but then have to go back on it later and stuff ;~;

CC4-tex use those textures and nobody puts eye on them. If you so afraid, do colour remapping on them. 

If possible, I'd like to provide a map for this project. I'll probably base it on Pandemonium if I do.

That depends on if I have a new machine in time, though, so consider my map a slim possibility at best.

Oh hey, I wanna see if I can make a map for this. :D

Started making something for this project last night. No specific slot, I'll probably just post it if it gets done.

Spoiler

image.png.80506e26bdc6e92c90fe08207cc66743.png

(ignore the STARTAN back there, it's stuff that still needs texturing)

I'm interested. If I have a solid start by late next week, I'll commit. I'm thinking something a bit "tidy" structurally a la Unholy Cathedral.

Hmmm... it's probably been a decade since I last made any attempt at putting together a regular non-TC-oriented Doom map (everyone and their dog makes 'em) and I've got a stack of other WIP/planned projects but you know... why the hell not?  I do appreciate the chance to channel my inner Petersen.

Looks like a pretty interesting project, bonnie, but i have a question: how many maps will have this thing? Is a episode (from 6 to 11 maps) or is a megawad with more than 15 maps? Or is completely free to how many people will be in this project?

Anyway, even if i'm already making a map for mini-hump, I could maybe be interested in this project making a speedmap of sorts.... But I have to see if I have enough time (well, I hope so! It's until the end of July!)

Good luck to everyone!

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Is a episode (from 6 to 11 maps) or is a megawad with more than 15 maps? Or is completely free to how many people will be in this project?

it's as many people as we can get, friend. if we get enough maps, i'll consider separating them into individual episodes.

Sounds interesting. Is this going to be strict vanilla limits, compatible with Chocolate Doom?

19 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Sounds interesting. Is this going to be strict vanilla limits, compatible with Chocolate Doom?

yessir, and can i mark you down as interested? :o

Are we required to adhere to the classic fire-and-brimstone hell style? In Doom that means lots of red and satanic imagery.

I'm asking because Doom 2 tempts me to use its rich brown (and less satanic) texture palette. Of course, I have my earthly startup level, but this being said, I'm considering starting a typical satanic dungeon level, which may fit better.

What I'm trying to come up with is an inspiration on the Doom 1 episode 2 ending screen. That spiky field with red mist looks nasty. Obviously it won't have the same visual complexity in-game. But it's not a satanic dungeon.

I've started on a map for this about an hour ago, its intended as a boss map, very loosely inspired by mount Erebus, might get a playable version done in the next couple of days 

update on the map: i'm roughly 90% done with the layout, 50% done with texturing and sector heights and whatnot, 75%~ with detailing, and 0% done with thing placements (but I do that last). did some troubleshooting to fix some visplane overflows today and everything's working fine in chocodoom and crispy doom. should be done in a week or two i imagine, maybe sooner.

4 hours ago, printz said:

Are we required to adhere to the classic fire-and-brimstone hell style? In Doom that means lots of red and satanic imagery.

Not necessarily. You just need to adhere to some sort of Inferno-esque style, which doesn't inherently mean lots of red and satanic imagery. Some levels were actually quite green with marble and such, and many maps had extensive areas of E1/E2 style textures, usually somewhat intertwined with various hellish textures. So long as your resulting map takes some sort of influence from Inferno, it'll be okay.

On that note, I'd like to mention that unless someone comes and directly tells me that it isn't allowed on idgames, I'm now allowing the Doom Textures for Doom II texture pack (but nothing else currently). If this causes issues (as it may, since I'm kind of unfamiliar with limits of textures in vanilla besides the fact that you can't add additional animations) or you need assistance mapping and testing with the textures, let me know right away.

Hopefully this greatly improves the Inferno-ness of the maps. c:

Spoiler

just some mentions to make sure all current interested mappers are aware of the change

@NaZa, @Aquila Chrysaetos, @MFG38, @bioshockfan90, @HAK3180, @ETTiNGRiNDER, @Pegleg, @Walter confetti, @Urthar, @dt_

4 hours ago, bonnie said:

On that note, I'd like to mention that unless someone comes and directly tells me that it isn't allowed on idgames, I'm now allowing the Doom Textures for Doom II texture pack (but nothing else currently).

Hopefully this greatly improves the Inferno-ness of the maps. c:

I'm happy to hear that. I started doing a map that draws inspiration from parts of Pandemonium and House of Pain, and some of the Doom 1 textures that didn't make it into Doom 2 would add to the homage. There might be some elements from Hell Keep in there, too.

It's not far enough along to show any screenshots, but it's started.

Count me in as someone mapping. What I have right now is very definitely Unholy Cathedral-like, though the flavoring will branch out a bit.

This beast's almost done. I might've gone a bit bigger than what was asked in the project, but it should still be a pretty short map. Not gonna be any huge fights goin' on anyway. But we're nearing the end!

image.png.7e1cd7df5b28cb06e8d3c646534e3348.png

I might give it a try at a classic hell map should i find some time after finishing the map in currently working on.
Sounds fun

just a question: since these textures are also present in cc4-tex, can i use that? Otherwise, i have downloaded the texture pack...

with mr. classicgamer6, we're currently at 17 interested mappers, with a high chance of having at least 2 maps by me included. thus, I'm really excited to say that you may now reserve the secret level slots!!! (wow)

the rules: 

• you may ONLY request and disclose information about the secret maps to me, via either PMs or over discord (i'm bonnie#8702).
    • you must detail your idea for the secret map (they must do something interesting or unique, and i'm open for ideas!!)
    • you may request map31, map32, or neither if you have no preference
    • you may request that i don't disclose your name in the mapper list and only mention that the slot has been taken if you wish
    • you must give me progress reports (i don't want it to be so secretive that not even i know about it)

as for map15, I'm gonna go back on reserving it. once we get close enough and the map order is nearly complete, i'll either add a secret exit to map15 myself or PM the author and ask for them to add one in themselves.

on that note, i'd like to also mention that we're getting quite close to having individual episodes, so stay tuned for that. don't be scared to make an easier map (though not too easy) since we may need easier maps to act as episode starters!! also maps that end episodes will be handled similarly to map15 in terms of death exits.

we may also need more boss levels, and if you'd like to reserve a boss level, not an individual slot, you can PM me and we'll work that out too.

i'll have more info on the boss levels once we're closer to the end of the project, since i'll need to know how the episodes will be themed and play out beforehand.

P.S. @Walter confetti no sir, only doom 1 textures. please only use the doom 1 texture pack linked in the OP to avoid confusion and whatnot when compiling friend, i'm sorry :c

P.P.S. i want to remind you friends that you every map will require a (non-zdoom, obviously) completion demo by the deadline, and it would be really frickin radical if some of you used this neat fork of pr/glboom+ that allows for voice recording in your demos!! (also remember that you dont have to demo your own map)

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/96894-my-prboom-build-with-in-demo-voice-recording-support-and-something-extra/