Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(Private alphas in progress) Infernew, a Community Project

23 hours ago, Garbage said:

Just wondering, how do reserves work? Are they like substitution maps for later empty slots?

They're just in case we get enough people to have an overflow episode. I didn't really advertise it much because I can't deal with the hassle of having over 32 maps.

I'm not giving priority to them for replacing empty slots unless the mapper specifically wants to. I will, however, give priority to people without a map yet, like FelixTheWolf.

edit: also sorry about not having any feedback for maps, I've been trying to prepare one large post for it but I've been insanely busy for like two weeks now and have only been able to slowly chip away at the maps. I'll break the feedback post into two or three different posts at this point, unfortunately with no demos. I will however record demos for any maps needing them after the deadline, as well as new demos for any updates post RC/idgames release.

@NaZa yes

Edited by bonnie

If that overflow does happen, the best bet is to split the project into 2 32-map WADs.

5 hours ago, Sayok6 said:

If that overflow does happen, the best bet is to split the project into 2 32-map WADs.

I doubt there would be 64 maps.

One solution might be to do what pcorf did for his community project a few years back and have maps beyond 32 in the WAD as a secret bonus episode.  I don't remember all the details but I think you can set up the WAD file with a second episode for source ports that permit such things, and "vanilla" doom just won't care?

But I get the sense that bonnie will prefer to just cut to 32, which is fine too.  And I'm not even sure we have that many since it seems like a substantial minority of the mappers in the main list still haven't produced anything.

Edited by jerrysheppy

6 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

I doubt there would be 64 maps.

One solution might be to do what pcorf did for his community project a few years back and have maps beyond 32 in the WAD as a secret bonus episode.  I don't remember all the details but I think you can set up the WAD file with a second episode for source ports that permit such things, and "vanilla" doom just won't care?

But I get the sense that bonnie will prefer to just cut to 32, which is fine too.  And I'm not even sure we have that many since it seems like a substantial minority of the mappers in the main list still haven't produced anything.

One alternative to a "bonus episode" would always be to have a separately-released "Lost Episode of Infernew" or "Lost Levels of Infernew" or something like that, if there are enough extra levels. If there's only 2 or 3, that doesn't make as much sense. In that case, maybe there's enough to just fill in the gaps from mappers who weren't able to (or lost interest) in completing their maps.

At the end of the day, it's @bonnie's call.

I was wondering if we could maybe do subtle changes on our map on the 1st and 2nd August if we're in an inability to do so earlier @bonnie

This is version5 of Pathways of the Tortured Dead, uploaded August 14 September 26. You can go to the September 26 post for more information about version 5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezsddenbk6l6ijd/pathtord_v5.zip?dl=1

Here is version 3 of my map, Pathways of the Tortured Dead. See the August 5 post for changes.

Here is my version 2 of my map, Pathways of the Tortured Dead. (I also updated the link in my July 14 post, as required.)

Tested with PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2, ZDoom 2.8.1, and GZDoom 3.2.5.

The overall flow of the map is the same, but I made some changes (some tiny, others slightly larger), which are listed here:

Spoiler
  • Split Sector 265, so the yellow skull door didn't open at the same time as the door to the red key room.
  • Reworked the SSG fight, moving it and adding a corridor that led to it, so you can at least move a bit out of the way if you feel you need to.
  • Moved the switch that lowers the yellow key so it is visible from the ledge where the yellow key is at.
  • Added more enemies, mostly on UV.
  • Also added more ammo and health. Specifically added armor in the first room on difficulties below UV. For UV and NM, players get some armor bonuses in the first room.
  • Placed a door in the sector that leads to the switch that opens the door to the red key room. The door can be opened by either activating it directly or by walking up to the closed door to the red key room (the one opened by the switch).
  • Raised the door in the room with the Baron of Hell recess in the wall so the floor was even with the surrounding floor (it was 0, I raised it to 8).
  • Changed the ceiling flats on some of the door sectors (so, the bottoms of the doors now look like the bottoms of doors instead of the surrounding ceiling).
  • The door that connects from the red skull door room back to the early corridor was DR Open and Close, but it couldn't be opened from the other side, forcing players to retrace their steps through the entire level. Changed the door to D1 Open and Stay, which was the original intention.
  • Slightly increased the width of the curvy bridge in the chain gunner room, allowing the demons more room to move on the bridge.
  • Made one of the secrets less subtle.
  • Added some items for DM and co-op.

Monsters at the opening of the map by difficulty level:

ITYTD and HNTR: 97

HMP: 137

UV and NM: 172

No demo yet. Seeing as how I'm having trouble finishing my own map on ITYTD (although I think I would've done it this last time save for trying to peek out from behind a corner and then trying to fire a rocket), let alone UV, I will likely end up relying on someone else to record a demo. (Unless bonnie accepts ITYTD or HNTR demos, which I think I should be able to do.)

@bonnie I'd like to know what you think of the difficulty level, whether it needs to be scaled back.

@Urthar Since you were planning on replaying the maps on UV, I would suggest you play this version, if you haven't played v1 on UV already.

I welcome everyone's comments. Please let me know what you think.

Edited by Pegleg : New version.

My focus has been on Pathways of the Tortured Dead, and that will remain my primary contribution. However, I have been working on a map that could go in the reserve group.

I noticed that every map in Inferno is represented in the maps that have been submitted, except Dis. So, I started to put together a level inspired by a combination of Dis and Hell Keep (no, not Warrens, too, just Hell Keep). It's not meant to be a boss map; it just draws inspiration from Dis. It's still in its early stages, but the title of the level is "Serpentine Helix."

I'm going to withdraw from this project just for quality sakes. I doubt my ability to finish my map by the 31st and have it be something of quality by that time.

I will finish what I got currently it will just be missing a building since that is what has hung me up. As it stands currently it will be a rather short map so it could go somewhere early the set.

Edited by Classicgamer6

@Classicgamer6 Please friend, take a day or two to think it over. I can help you with your map if you want on Discord or through PMs if you want!! Trust me, 8 days is more than enough time to finish a decent Inferno map. On top of that, I'm strongly considering extending the deadline by a week due to my inability to give feedback on the submitted maps.

If you truly want to leave however, just edit your post confirming your decision sometime tomorrow. Until then, @FelixTheWolf may have the slot if you leave.

it has come to my attention that it may be worth biting the bullet and creating a very late discord for this project, as we need to get rolling with quick feedback, exchanges, and updates, especially for me.

if you're interested, say I. if literally anybody says I i'm makin it

it wouldn't be mandatory, but it would be extremely beneficial to join. you may also join if you'd like to just be a dedicated tester or something

also i'm almost certainly extending the deadline, but i'm not entirely sure when.

A discord server is needed and will help organize everything in this final stretch before release. It'll make providing feedback a lot quicker and the logistics of completing and collating all the maps.

20 minutes ago, bonnie said:

it has come to my attention that it may be worth biting the bullet and creating a very late discord for this project, as we need to get rolling with quick feedback, exchanges, and updates, especially for me.

if you're interested, say I. if literally anybody says I i'm makin it

it wouldn't be mandatory, but it would be extremely beneficial to join. you may also join if you'd like to just be a dedicated tester or something

also i'm almost certainly extending the deadline, but i'm not entirely sure when.

In Space Quest II, there's one part where they tell you to just say the word to pass and you actually have to type "say the word" in order to advance past that part. So, just in case you've decided to adopt that kind of spirit:

I

To be more clear, a Discord server would be a good idea. Better late than never.

We need a Discord server about as much as the world needs Assange's asylum to be maintained

It is vital that we get one!

26 minutes ago, sarge945 said:

We need a Discord server about as much as the world needs Assange's asylum to be maintained

It is vital that we get one!

Well, that came out of nowhere...

"I" would hang out in a Discord if one is made.

here you go friends https://discord.gg/sxkqxWh

mentions:

Spoiler

Just now, jerrysheppy said:

Well, that came out of nowhere...

Yeah I almost didn't post it, but I thought it was funny enough so I went with it.

I guess looking back it comes off more as a random political rant. Oh well...

1 minute ago, DMPhobos said:

Uhh might as well show some work in progress
JfsZR4h.png

3TGgMiL.png

hamv9cG.png

L7YTnxL.png

Looks very infernesque

Pretty obvious misalignment in the rock texture at the center of the screen in the first shot, probably just gotta hit autoalign on it.  Otherwise looking fabulous.  Mostly Pandemonium, but with some other influences in there... I'd say Slough except on second thought it actually doesn't look much like Slough despite having some outdoor white rock walls.  Looks properly Ep3 by any standard though.

@DMPhobos

7 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

Pretty obvious misalignment in the rock texture at the center of the screen in the first shot, probably just gotta hit autoalign on it.  Otherwise looking fabulous.  Mostly Pandemonium, but with some other influences in there... I'd say Slough except on second thought it actually doesn't look much like Slough despite having some outdoor white rock walls.  Looks properly Ep3 by any standard though.

I agree that it feels like Pandemonium, especially in the bottom screenshot.

Part of it may feel like Slough of Despair, depending on what the rest of the rock wall section looks like, but the area in the first shot, with the marble and the blood river, doesn't really feel like it's from Slough.

Overall, yes, it looks like it would be fit in an Inferno-esque episode thematically.

9 hours ago, bonnie said:

here you go friends https://discord.gg/sxkqxWh

mentions:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't have a mic, but sure I'll type in chat or something.

Esoteric Entity AD79_Esoteric_180705.zip

I decided to give this a second attempt, but honestly I think I made the right choice the first time. Basically, the map has a difficulty level and progression that can only be described as 'fuck you'. You probably need someone like NineInchHeels to test this really, because there's no way I could ever complete something like this, or even want to.

The demo is just me getting stuck at the start. Having an arrow that points away from what you're supposed to active next in the middle of a 20 damage blood is pretty dickish, but then I guess that's the whole schtick. I resorted to opening the map in DoomBuilder and playing more of it in Chocolate Doom, and yeah it's nasty stuff.

Reprobate Cloister HAK_Cloister_RC1.0.zip

Seemed like a pretty fun map, and felt authentically Inferno like. Good stuff.

(Once again, all demos recorded in PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3 with d1gfxd2_infernew.wad)

Edited by Urthar

@Urthar, thanks a ton for your tenacity/patience. I think you play a lot like I do. You actually got 2/4 secrets; the berserk ledge is supposed to be secret and there is one accidentally inaccessible sector tagged secret (thanks, @Darox).

I'll be working on difficulty levels and a few other things - seems like the hell knight trap is a bit much.

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

Esoteric Entity AD79_Esoteric_180705.zip

I decided to give this a second attempt, but honestly I think I made the right choice the first time. Basically, the map has a difficulty level and progression that can only be described as 'fuck you'. You probably need someone like NineInchHeels to test this really, because there's no way I could ever complete something like this, or even want to.

Paging @Nine Inch Heels, @mArt1And00m3r11339, @rdwpa, @Killer5, @Ancalagon, @Bloodite Krypto, @Benjogami (there are many more, but 1 of these should be interested in that type of difficulty level and progression).

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

The demo is just me getting stuck at the start. Having an arrow that points away from what you're supposed to active next in the middle of a 20 damage blood is pretty dickish, but then I guess that's the whole schtick. I resorted to opening the map in DoomBuilder and playing more of it in Chocolate Doom, and yeah it's nasty stuff.

Reprobate Cloister HAK_Cloister_RC1.0.zip

Seemed like a pretty fun map, and felt authentically Inferno like. Good stuff.

(Once again, all demos recorded in PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3 with d1gfxd2_infernew.wad)

If Hell doesn't get to be dickish to someone invading, then when is the right time and place for that?

@bonnie @Urthar

Single maps are fine, especially if they're basically finished, but I would council against streaming more than that in an unfinished state. I watched @MegaBlast stream "4800 Hell Knights" (recommended by @Ancalagon, by the way), even though it was an alpha release. During the stream, there were a number of complaints about the unpolished nature of the mapset and problems that kept popping up and even the name being inaccurate, all owing to the fact that it wasn't even done yet.

I don't want to see this project develop a poor reputation because someone streamed an alpha (or even pre-alpha) compilation or something like that and it contained levels in the wrong order, levels that have bugs that haven't been fixed yet, etc.